Bernard Scott

TJJackson

I have zero expectations of Jeremi "All you can eat" Johnson

Yup! I have never understood how someone can eat themselves out of the league. Dude, it's your job. He will be bounced...

lol. He's fat, he's round, he bounces on the ground.....

I am thinking Cedric Benson (HB1), Bernard Scott (HB3), Brian Leonard (HB2/FB2), Fui Vakapuna (FB) unless Jeremi Johnson really puts it together (something I doubt), with Pressley and James Johnson on the Practice Squad.

I would be happy with these RB's, I am still on the fence about Benson, but like him more than any of last years RB's going into the season. Heck I can stretch that to I like all these RB's better than most (other than Watson and James Johnson) we had to start last season.

I'm less concerned with Benson and more concerned with our starting center being able to create holes for him in between the tackles against the AFCN opponents. That being said, he did ok with a horrible line last season with no training camp, so I'm really looking forward to see if he finally lives up to the status of his selection in the draft. This may be that year.

I also think Watson is a goner...

Joe Reedy did an online chat on Friday

Asked to name the two biggest surprises of the OTAs

]12:56 [Comment From Ryan Coslett]

Who's been the most pleasant surprise in OTAs?

12:57 Joe Reedy: Scott and Johnson

and then

1:04 [Comment From TJ Jackson/Bengalszone]

bernard scott has been the biggest suprise of the OTAs? seriously?

1:06 Joe Reedy: TJ -- I had not seen any film on Bernard Scott. For a sixth-round pick to come in and show the speed he has and the work ethic. Yes, he's surprised me.

woo!

(by Johnson -- based on his other comments I think he meant Michael Johnson. Lot of Big Johnsons here in Cincinnati, you know)

I posted an edited (for flow and clarity) transcript here: http://forums.bengalszone.com/index.php?showtopic=19824

Joe Reedy did an online chat on Friday

Asked to name the two biggest surprises of the OTAs

]12:56 [Comment From Ryan Coslett]

Who's been the most pleasant surprise in OTAs?

12:57 Joe Reedy: Scott and Johnson

and then

1:04 [Comment From TJ Jackson/Bengalszone]

bernard scott has been the biggest suprise of the OTAs? seriously?

1:06 Joe Reedy: TJ -- I had not seen any film on Bernard Scott. For a sixth-round pick to come in and show the speed he has and the work ethic. Yes, he's surprised me.

woo!

(by Johnson -- based on his other comments I think he meant Michael Johnson. Lot of Big Johnsons here in Cincinnati, you know)

I posted an edited (for flow and clarity) transcript here: http://forums.bengalszone.com/index.php?showtopic=19824

Here's my thinking:

Jeremi, at his best (which was only 2 seasons ago), was one of the 4-5 best lead blocking FBs in the game. The Bengals never skipped a beat in the running game once Neal left. As far as a pure lead-blocking FB, I don't see Fui as the answer at this point, although he may develop into that in time. That said, with the heavier emphasis on the running the football, I don't see the Bengals going with a rookie FB. Injuries are always a factor, but if everything is equal, Jeremi will be the starting FB if he's somewhere close to the 265-270 that is his playing weight. There's a reason they brought him back off the streets to begin with.

Does anybody still feel like Dan Coats has a chance to make the roster? He showed well in the running game towards the end of last season, but he has hands of stone. I could almost see a scenario where the Bengals go with Kelly as the primary lead blocker at FB with Fui as his backup (if Jeremi can't bounce back). That would allow the Bengals to dress all 3 TEs, and possibly even carry and extra WR or RB on the roster. Fui would play the Nick Luchey role as a swing player and goaline RB.

Game Day Actives

RB- Benson, Leonard, Scott (KR)

FB - Jeremi or Fui (short yardage/goal line RB)

TE - Kelly (FB), Coffman, Utecht

You mean Coats not Kelley at FB right ??

Either way, I think Coats is gone. Jeremi is still fighting his weight according to Reedy, which only opens the door for the rookies to take his spot, but not Coats. As far as TE's are considered, if they keep three it will be Kelly, Utecht, and Coffman. Coats was nothing more than someone filling a vacancy when no one else was able to. Times up and thanks...

Let's keep in mind that Coates is younger and cheaper than Kelly, is one of the strongest players on the team (40+ 225lb reps at his combine), and he has had some big plays - a 25 yard catch at the end of the year last year, for example

I know Kelly has been a real stalwart and a team leader, but he's in his 11th year......while I do not consider it likely, it is not out of the realm of possibility that Kelly departs and you keep Utecht, Coffman, and Coates (and technically, the venerable Brad St Louis)

and now, back to you regularly scheduled Bernard Scott thread......

I took a 15 minute walk at lunchtime today, followed by a 20 minute period of standing in line, and then

I looked him in the face

I shook his hand

I got his autograph on a ball.

Only his. I skipped Andre Smith and Clinton McDonald because I just wanted a Bernard Scott autographed ball. Yeah, I'm crazy :-) It's that "special teams" fan in me.

I told him: "It is a great pleasure to meet you, Mr Scott - you're my favorite rookie and I am expecting BIG things from you this year"

He was very softly spoke, very humble, thanked me for the compliment, and smiled

I now look forward even more to seeing him take the field in 2009

I took a 15 minute walk at lunchtime today, followed by a 20 minute period of standing in line, and then

I looked him in the face

I shook his hand

I got his autograph on a ball.

Only his. I skipped Andre Smith and Clinton McDonald because I just wanted a Bernard Scott autographed ball. Yeah, I'm crazy :-) It's that "special teams" fan in me.

I told him: "It is a great pleasure to meet you, Mr Scott - you're my favorite rookie and I am expecting BIG things from you this year"

He was very softly spoke, very humble, thanked me for the compliment, and and smiled

I now look forward even more to seeing him take the field in 2009

-I wonder how odd it was for Scott that someone your age would address him as, "Mr. Scott".

-I wonder how this agreenie-style man-love is going to ultimately affect our buddy TJ.

-I wonder if 'Mr. Scott' had to ask TJ to let go of his hand because the length of the handshake was getting uncomfortable.

-I wonder if 'Mr. Scott' expects to get paid enough to meet up to TJ's 'BIG things'.

-I wonder if TJ was smitten by the flash of that bright smile.

-I wonder if Scott's handler had to use two napkins to wipe TJ's drool off the table.

Hair: What, the Simpson DNA evidence was ruled inadmissible again?

Greg: I doubt you'll let the prosecution rest anytime soon. Nor would I want you to :-)

I think most folks probably have one of the top 3 picks as their favorite rookie. Me, I'm an underdog kinda guy. Makes it easier to be a Bengal fan, to be sure.

That, and - by now any regular BZ forums reader knows I am a big special teams guy - so guess who is starting to get work as a KR/PR?

Hair: What, the Simpson DNA evidence was ruled inadmissible again?

Greg: I doubt you'll let the prosecution rest anytime soon. Nor would I want you to :-)

I think most folks probably have one of the top 3 picks as their favorite rookie. Me, I'm an underdog kinda guy. Makes it easier to be a Bengal fan, to be sure.

Honestly, I don't do the 'favorite rookie' thing anymore. I got burned bad by David Pollack. So, with that, I'll pull for your guy 'Mr. Scott,' but everytime you mention him, Whitney Houston's "I will always love you" will flash through my head.

:D

The day before the 2005 draft, I wrote a thousand word or more essay on this very website on not only why Pollack should be our pick, but why he WILL be our pick.

And then he was picked

And I rejoiced like I had not rejoiced before

and then he didn't sign

and then he still didn't sign

and then camp ended

and then he was useless

and then he was injured

and then he was done

What, the Simpson DNA evidence was ruled inadmissible again?

The judge threw the DNA findings out after explaining to the jury how copius amounts of your drool being found on Scott's ball wasn't really evidence of a crime.

However, the ball did provide the police with a handwriting sample of Bernard Scott that could be compared to the ransom note. And his signature on a ball covered with your drool provided a link between the suspect and his victim.

The case was thrown out when it was learned that my wife would have forced me to turn over half the ransom money to her, and she'd have used it all to move the family to Pittsburgh, something I'd have never allowed.

That, and even the prosecutor admitted that I'd never have done anything to keep him off the field