10 young players who can impact 2009

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/06/04/10-youn...-can-impact-09/

10 Young Players Who Can Impact '09

Steve Breaston and Donnie Avery

With NFL teams going though OTAs and minicamps this offseason, we look at 10 young players who can make an impact in 2009. These players have five years or less than NFL experience.

1. Donnie Avery, St. Louis, WR. In his rookie year, Avery caught 53 passes for 674 yards with three touchdowns. Avery has the speed the Rams are looking for at this position, especially with Torry Holt off the roster. Four players had at least 20 or more catches with the Rams last season, and Avery led them with a 12.7 yards per catch average.

2. Steve Breaston, Arizona, WR. Regardless of whether or not Anquan Boldin returns, Breaston can build on a strong rookie year. He caught 77 passes for 1,006 yards and three touchdowns, giving the Cardinals' passing game another threat if defenses slowed down Larry Fitzgerald and Boldin. Breaston also contributed on returns, fielding 33 kickoffs for 667 yards.

3. Nick Cole, Philadelphia, G/C. He can play three positions on the offensive line and coach Andy Reid said recently that he can compete for a starting guard spot. Cole will try to off-set Todd Herremans at left guard. He was used in some packages as a fullback and tight end and the coaches like him on special teams. The Eagles believe Cole has a future, giving him a second-round tender at $1.5 million in the offseason.

4. Jordon Dizon, Detroit, LB. Dizon started the season as a middle linebacker but moved outside toward the end of his rookie year in 2008. Dizon will maintain that spot this year and should see some time on passing downs in the nickel. Lions coaches like his physical play and he has good speed to get to the ball. He played in 12 games last year and will have to show new defensive coordinator Gunter Cunningham he can play a full season without getting hurt.

5. Jahri Evans, New Orleans, G. Evans starts his fourth season with the Saints having started 48 consecutive games -- every game since he was drafted out of the fourth round from Bloomsburg. He is one of the anchors of an offensive line that has veterans such as Jon Stinchcomb and Jammal Brown.

6. William Gay, Pittsburgh, CB. He was the third cornerback last season, but emerged as a strong performer when he started four games after Bryant McFadden broke his arm mid-season. With McFadden gone now, Gay is the starter. Last year, Gay was tied for second on the team with 11 passes defended.

7. David Jones, Cincinnati, CB. It will be difficult for Jones to break into the starting lineup with Jonathan Joseph and Leon Hall leading the way. But Jones, who enters his third year, will be the nickel corner. Last season, Jones started seven games at left corner and had seven pass deflections.

8. Ryan Kalil, Carolina, C. Injuries slowed him to 12 starts last year, but the Panthers believe they have the future at center. A second-round pick from USC in 2007, Kalil has provided the Panthers with a consistent performer to help in their running game.

9. Orlando Scandrick, Dallas, CB. Entering his second season, Scandrick is competing with last year's first-round pick, Mike Jenkins, for the starting right cornerback job. Scandrick earned the trust of the coaches last year and was the slot corner on passing downs because he was better than Jenkins in man coverage. He was also good on special teams and tied for second with 10 solo tackles on special teams.

10. Josh Wilson, Seattle, CB. Wilson's impact is felt more on special teams. He averaged 25.4 yards on 1,753 kick return yards. Wilson's speed and ability to elude defenders makes him a dangerous threat to start the game. As a nickel corner, Wilson had 76 tackles with four interceptions and led the team with three forced fumbles.

Honestly seems a little odd to me, but I saw it and thought I might share.

Breaston was NOT a rookie last year. David Jones? Worst tackler i have ever seen n my life...

Yeah last year was Breaston's 2nd yr

Worst Tackler you've ever seen? Really?

Must've missed Deltha O'Neal, Tory James and even J-Jo is all I can say. Those guys make Jones look like Rod Woodson.

Breaston was NOT a rookie last year. David Jones? Worst tackler i have ever seen n my life...

Yeah last year was Breaston's 2nd yr

Worst Tackler you've ever seen? Really?

Must've missed Deltha O'Neal, Tory James and even J-Jo is all I can say. Those guys make Jones look like Rod Woodson.

What about Artrell Hawkins? He was horrible.