Cowboys cut Ellis per rotoworld

we've got good young talent on defense and particularly at the positions he plays. it makes no sense to bury the young guys behind someone who may have two or three years left in the tank. the bengals standing pat also gives a pretty clear indication the coaching staff thinks they have the players they need which is great.

we've got good young talent on defense and particularly at the positions he plays. it makes no sense to bury the young guys behind someone who may have two or three years left in the tank. the bengals standing pat also gives a pretty clear indication the coaching staff thinks they have the players they need which is great.

Called depth say maualuga goes down...then its back to no rush jeanty....

Jeanty is a pretty solid player but there were some earlier reports about him being upset by the Bengals refusal to negotiate a long-term contract. In short, he doesn't think the Bengals have any plans for him after this season and as a result he wanted his ticket out punched this season instead of next. The Bengals not only refused to comply, but after tendering Jeanty drafted Rey and Michael Johnson....somewhat increasing the odds of Jeanty having to serve a last season in stripes where he doesn't play much, and thus can't showcase his skills for other teams.

As for the idea that Ellis somehow buries young talent on the bench, well....yes and no. Yes because he's a more proven producer than anyone currently on the roster, and no because his age dictates he won't play for anyone much longer.

Frankly, I still like the idea but it's always seemed like a questionable fit...in part due to the long history of Ellis complaining about contract issues while with the Cowboys. Simply put, guys who are consumed by money matters rarely agree to become Bengals.

Jeanty is a pretty solid player but there were some earlier reports about him being upset by the Bengals refusal to negotiate a long-term contract. In short, he doesn't think the Bengals have any plans for him after this season and as a result he wanted his ticket out punched this season instead of next. The Bengals not only refused to comply, but after tendering Jeanty drafted Rey and Michael Johnson....somewhat increasing the odds of Jeanty having to serve a last season in stripes where he doesn't play much, and thus can't showcase his skills for other teams.

As for the idea that Ellis somehow buries young talent on the bench, well....yes and no. Yes because he's a more proven producer than anyone currently on the roster, and no because his age dictates he won't play for anyone much longer.

Frankly, I still like the idea but it's always seemed like a questionable fit...in part due to the long history of Ellis complaining about contract issues while with the Cowboys. Simply put, guys who are consumed by money matters rarely agree to become Bengals.

Another solid post, but I think the greater consideration is that Ellis takes snaps from either Rey or MJ, which would hinder their indvidual development. I guess it's similar to the Bengals and Jerome Simpson last year, but I think they projected Jerome's impact to the team further down the line than either of their 2nd or 3rd round picks from this year.

In closing, it doesn't make much sense for the Bengals to pursue another DE/OLB type, which is likely the strength of the defense from a talent standpoint.

Another solid post, but I think the greater consideration is that Ellis takes snaps from either Rey or MJ, which would hinder their indvidual development.

Hinder or help?

I agree the signing would take snaps away from the rookies, but I'm not convinced that would be a bad thing. In fact, in the example of Michael Johnson, I can easily envision Ellis performing the exact same mentor role that he filled for the Cowboys. Furthermore, I think it's fair to say Ellis remained on the Cowboy roster longer than expected precisely because Anthony Spencer was deemed incapable of immediately assuming even the designated pass rush role....let alone a starters role.

Now ask yourself two questions. First, what makes any of us think MJ will be ready to go right out of the box? Second question, if he isn't ready to play right away....shouldn't this team look for a veteran stopgap who can help them win now...rather than waiting a season or two for MJ to develope?

In closing, I'll happily add my voice to the consensus claiming the Bengals have absolutely no need for Ellis with only one qualifier.

On paper.

Anyone think that the perfect landing spot for Ellis is Miami? They seem to be the home for aging previously elite pass rushers. Having Jason Taylor, Joey Porter, and Greg Ellis all on the same team would be more than enough for everyone to keep calling Bill Parcells a genius.

Of the teams most often mentioned as a possible landing site for Ellis I'd lean towards St.Louis.

If the Bengals are really serious about rushing the passer they would bring Ellis in for a visit. A year ago ML said that improving the run game was top priority yet blithely went into the season with Chris Perry as the starting TB and Dorsey as a reserve. That was not a serious commitment to the ground game. And this offseason seemed to be going so well.