What's wrong with Joey Votto?

Bearcat1975

Opinions vary from Ear Infection, to Lyme Disease, to Anxiety Disorder.

Very strange...

It's an inner ear infection that keeps getting re-aggravated from flying. That is why they put him on the DL so he can heal up without flying with the team.

Team report in the Buffalo paper said it was stress related to the inner ear infection.

Made it sound like he was fixating on not being able ( in his view ) to contribute. Giving him a couple of weeks is probably the best thing for him at this time from the sounds of it.

Team report in the Buffalo paper said it was stress related to the inner ear infection.

Made it sound like he was fixating on not being able ( in his view ) to contribute. Giving him a couple of weeks is probably the best thing for him at this time from the sounds of it.

Now they are saying it is some kind of anxiety attack?

Now they are saying it is some kind of anxiety attack?

Yeah ... I was just checking the scores on Yahoo ... On the Reds team section, they're saying that it started with an inner ear problem. He left a game... was treated and sat. When he came back, he left the game again. Spent ... like 45 min to an hour in the managers office and the next day was put on the DL.

;) Stress can screw you around pretty good.

From the way it sounded, it wasn't an "anxiety" type issue in general, rather him feeling some anxiety from not being able to get in the lineup and help the team win.

What I mean is, he doesn't have a personality disorder from the sounds of it, just wanting to help the club...

• 2 weeks later...

Latest I've seen on Votto:

• 1B Joey Votto(notes) was eligible to come off the DL Sunday (stress-related issues) but a timetable for his activation has not been set. He took batting practice back in Cincinnati every day while the Reds were on a six-day trip to Washington and Kansas City.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AoYp...ype=team_report

This is from the team report on Yahoo sports:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AuY9...ype=team_report

Joey Votto(notes), on the disabled list with stress-related issues, played one game on rehab at Class A Sarasota and one intrasquad game with the Gulf Coast Rookie League Reds.

Now he is headed for Class A Dayton to play two games for the Dragons before the team rest during rests during the Midwest League All-Star break.

Votto was 0-for-2 with a walk and a strikeout with Sarasota against Clearwater, then was 2-for-4 with a double, a single and three stolen bases in the intrasquad game.

Great to hear that he stole three bases because that means his legs are under him,”said manager Dusty Baker. “And it doesn't matter where he plays as long as he gets his reps and he is playing baseball.”

Votto has been on the DL since May 30 and twice before that left games early with dizziness and lightheadedness. He is hitting .357 with eight homers and 33 RBIs in only 38 games and with 126 at-bats.

Well we are 30-37 not real bad and are on another mini streak. 5 out of 6. playing Phillies again tonight that will be tough. Man I wishing for a Os cap for fathers day.....lol :lol: Oh I heard the first 20k fans got a REDS Frank Robinson Jersey at todays game.....Hey Frank Robinson wasnt he a Oriole??? Hey thanks alot Cinn..... :rolleyes:

And here you go to answer the question of the thread. I can certainly understand this and only hope he can find peace within himself to move on.

I know I'm glad to have him back in the lineup and hope his teammates see him through a difficult time in his life.

Before the game, Votto revealed the source of his stress: the death last August of his 52-year-old father, Joseph.

Votto said he put his father’s death on a back burner from August to September, then suffered deep depression during the offseason.

He said he put it aside again for spring training this year and was OK from February until May, when he missed games with an upper-respiratory infection and an inner-ear infection. During that time off, the anxiety and depression set in, and he had to leave three games.

Votto said when he left the third of those games in Milwaukee, it was unbearable and he couldn’t be on the field because of the depression over his father’s death. While the Reds were on an early-June trip to St. Louis, Votto was home alone and said, “I really thought I was going to die,” and called 911 for a hospital trip.

And here you go to answer the question of the thread. I can certainly understand this and only hope he can find peace within himself to move on.

I know I'm glad to have him back in the lineup and hope his teammates see him through a difficult time in his life.

Before the game, Votto revealed the source of his stress: the death last August of his 52-year-old father, Joseph.

Votto said he put his father’s death on a back burner from August to September, then suffered deep depression during the offseason.

He said he put it aside again for spring training this year and was OK from February until May, when he missed games with an upper-respiratory infection and an inner-ear infection. During that time off, the anxiety and depression set in, and he had to leave three games.

Votto said when he left the third of those games in Milwaukee, it was unbearable and he couldn’t be on the field because of the depression over his father’s death. While the Reds were on an early-June trip to St. Louis, Votto was home alone and said, “I really thought I was going to die,” and called 911 for a hospital trip.

wow you never know what some people are going through.