Cowboys Targeting Bengals for a Trade

ArmyBengal

Ellis is a bum.....nobody wants him......enough said

Yeah, I mean because we don't want a player that has produced 20 sacks in the past two seasons combined right ??

I just think if you have a chance to improve your roster, you do it. If you can do it without giving up picks, it's almost a no brainer right ??

I'm just not so enamored with our current roster to think there's no room for improvement. I'll trust Zimmer with this how this decision goes.

Just me...

Ellis is a bum.....nobody wants him......enough said

Yeah, I mean because we don't want a player that has produced 20 sacks in the past two seasons combined right ??

I just think if you have a chance to improve your roster, you do it. If you can do it without giving up picks, it's almost a no brainer right ??

I'm just not so enamored with our current roster to think there's no room for improvement. I'll trust Zimmer with this how this decision goes.

Just me...

Even with the additions the Bengals have made this offseason, I still think it's pretty obvious that the weakness of this defense will be the pass rush. If they bring in Greg Ellis, it very well could be a strength.

Having Michael Johnson, Pat Sims, Tank Johnson, Robert Geathers, and Ellis playing SSLB on passing downs would likely be a very significant upgrade in the pass rush.

I'm still not sure how interested they really are... but it is something worth taking note that the Bengals are on Ellis' short list. He's certainly worth a look for a team that only had 17 sacks last season.

Any interest in the Bengals on the part of Ellis has everything to do with Zimmer. Give me the motivated guy familiar with the coaches and wanting to prove something and I'll take it...

In Zimmer & Fitz we trust :cheers:

At this point in time, there's no reason NOT to. After watching d-coordinators come and go and this defense blow goat balls for so many years, it is just more fun to have two coaches the caliber of those two.

Not only that but maybe player who can mentor Michael Johnson in to the DE passrush / SLB roll..Ellis is pretty big dude at 6'6 & 260 lbs.

Enough of this stupid crap about bringing in playes to be mentors. Bengal fans are the only ones I have ever come across who are so damn obsessed with bringng in all these old players to "mentor" players who are already here.

Not only that but maybe player who can mentor Michael Johnson in to the DE passrush / SLB roll..Ellis is pretty big dude at 6'6 & 260 lbs.

Enough of this stupid crap about bringing in playes to be mentors. Bengal fans are the only ones I have ever come across who are so damn obsessed with bringng in all these old players to "mentor" players who are already here.

I can't speak for him, but I didn't get he wasn't suggesting that was the only reason for bringing him in. It was the fact that we would IN FACT be getting a mentor type veteran that has also PRODUCED 20 sacks in the past two seasons. You know, as added benefit ?? I hardly see something like that being stupid...

it cuts into the playing time of the rookies and young players we'd like to bring along. also, we'd at most get 2 or 3 years' worth of production out of him, while the draft pick we send to dallas would get us a player with a decade of football in front of him.

I don't see why people don't want him. He's still productive. In the Cowboy forums I've read, most Cowboy fans are upset to see him go because of his leadership and high level of play. In fact, most seem to be annoyed with Ware because it is the need to give him a new deal that is making Ellis unaffordable to them.

So, with those positive things in mind, why wouldn't a Bengals fan want him here? Are you against spending the money? What would you rather Mike Brown do with it? What other players are available that you would rather the money be spent on?

If the Bengals are in win-now mode (which with many of their moves it appears that they are) why not bring in a player that will continue to help the pass rush. He will also help develop Michael Johnson faster than he might otherwise, while also being able to ease him into a role rather than rushing him into a position that he might be too raw for.

So again... what's the problem here? What's the negativity about?

it cuts into the playing time of the rookies and young players we'd like to bring along. also, we'd at most get 2 or 3 years' worth of production out of him, while the draft pick we send to dallas would get us a player with a decade of football in front of him.

So the best way to bring along young players is to force them into important roles that they may be too raw to perform productively?

I imagine Michael Johnson will be quite productive in time... but if they are indeed planning on making him a tweener, it's going to take some time. Why not bring in a guy who has been performing that role for several years at an incredibly high level? Isn't that the kind of thing champions do? Gradually ease in rookies who aren't quite ready rather than push them on the field and force them to learn on the job.

So the best way to bring along young players is to force them into important roles that they may be too raw to perform productively?

I imagine Michael Johnson will be quite productive in time... but if they are indeed planning on making him a tweener, it's going to take some time. Why not bring in a guy who has been performing that role for several years at an incredibly high level? Isn't that the kind of thing champions do? Gradually ease in rookies who aren't quite ready rather than push them on the field and force them to learn on the job.

No f*ck that Derek, that's what the Steelers would do and we all hate them to much to try to emulate the only team in the league with 6 rings right ?? God, I hate saying that, but sometimes the truth is right there smacking you in the face.