Henry Focused, Ready for Season

If Chris Henry has a brain in his head, he would Bust-His-A$$ this season, and have a HUGE year.

#1 The guy hasnt been in any trouble in over a year.

#2 After being released by the Bengals last off-season, they re-signed him to a 2-yr deal, Which means, he will be a Free-Agent after this season.

#3 Production in the NFL makes many teams forget about knucklehead bahavior.

So, there you have it.....Expect a BIG year......Then expect Al Davis to sign him.

Well acourse it's contract year and he's lost almost all his money already...some reason I doubt he'll give the redeemer a hometown discount...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear,The guy has the talent to be the next moss he just has to to focus and keep his ass out of trouble.

Nothing against Marvin Fraizer, but I think Dave Lee has finally done some things to make Chris "Get it"

That, and kids will mellow out anyone.

True, I was a loose cannon until my daughter was born... I was super happy that SOP gave Henry that "one last chance." This kid has what it takes to become a really really good WR. He made a lot of little stupid, idiotic mistakes (and a pretty big one too - waving a gun) Look for him to get that #2 spot this year. I'm not making any statistic predictions but as long as Carson stays healthy, I think Henry will have a BIG year.

Henry IS Carson's favorite deep target.

I agree wholeheartedly with your very well reasoned and logical assessment. If fact, I'm not sure I've ever agreed more with one of your posts.

HOWEVER...Henry demonstrated a lot of mental errors on the field last season, pulling up short on deep routes, dropping some good balls. I'm on the cautiously optimistic train on Henry. I always felt he had the tools, and I hope his personal life is straightened out so we don't read about him and Tank and Andre getting popped somewhere. He needs to get his head 100% in the game. He wasn't the only one with those issues last year, as I think many of the players bagged it when Carson went on the shelf. I'm just saying.

I was going to say the same thing... But then again, I have an excuse for everything... I just don' thing anyone was willing to risk their neck for whoever our backup was. s**t, I can't even remember his name that's how bad he is compared to Carson.

Put Carson out there and Henry is a different player. I think it's finally clicked with Henry. From here on out, enjoy the ride!

That's one of the better Bengal related articles I've read recently.

Not much to say about Henry that hasn't been said a million times already, but this jumped out...

Counting draft picks, the Bengals currently have 86 players on the roster. That number has to be down to 80 by the time the team heads to training camp on July 30th. Look for names such as Kenny Watson, Daniel Coats, and Brad St Louis to hit the waiver wire before then.

I appreciate the kind words.

This team is definately having a youth movement. With St Louis being 33 and a 10 year vet, it's only a matter of time.

Do you think they may give Mike Wyndt a look as LS? He was the LS for UC with our new punter for a few years.. He looks decent. Him and our punter have good chemistry. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals give him a call.

I sure hope not. I mean, if he can help the team and he's better than St. Louis I'm all for it.. But I would feel kinda s**tty watching the game with my girlfriend and we see her ex-fling, now a professional football player. That would make me feel real good about myself, haha.

If he can return to form and continue to develop he could be one of the best WRs in the league. I used to say he was the most physically talented receiver on our team even with Chad and TJ playing. That honor may now go to Jerome, but he still has a ton of potential and hopefully he can begin to realize some of that.

I would love to see them start Henry and sit Chad.

I would love to see them keep Chad on the roster and not allow him to dress.

Chad would be crying and begging to play.

He would change his attitude very quick if he was not allowed to have the stage to play crybaby on.

Its funny, Henry had been the guy that has been in trouble (mostly for stupid minor stuff) and nearly kicked out of the NFL and Chad has been beloved by the fans.

NOW, its Henry that has learned his lesson (we hope) and is looked at as the solid player and Chad has become the one player that cant be counted on for anything.

When Henry faced loosing his career, he grew up.

If , Chad is looses his some playing time and his stage maybe he will wake up.

I dont think sitting him could hurt, its not like he can be counted on.

It's funny that a lot of fans can't see how Chad's game has regressed since '06. Sure, he's put up some great stats in '07, but he was never able to defeat the bracket coverage, which coincidentally was first introduced by Cleveland. Most of his yards and touchdowns came in some huge games against poor defenses and he hasn't had a 100 yard game in a year and a half. He's 31 and it's time to close the book on the '05 season.

Braham, Willie, Levi, Steinbach, TJ, Rudi are gone and Chad might not be a factor this season.

Essentially, that was the offense in that playoff year.

I've said for years that Henry was the most talented WR on the roster and hopefully he can put it all together this season. There are only a handful of receivers in the entire NFL that have Henry's type of 2nd gear when the ball is in the air and he showed some improvement down the stretch last season on the little things. He'll be a UFA, so let's give him a shot.

It's funny that a lot of fans can't see how Chad's game has regressed since '06. Sure, he's put up some great stats in '07, but he was never able to defeat the bracket coverage, which coincidentally was first introduced by Cleveland. Most of his yards and touchdowns came in some huge games against poor defenses and he hasn't had a 100 yard game in a year and a half. He's 31 and it's time to close the book on the '05 season.

Braham, Willie, Levi, Steinbach, TJ, Rudi are gone and Chad might not be a factor this season.

I've said for years that Henry was the most talented WR on the roster and hopefully he can put it all together this season. There are only a handful of receivers in the entire NFL that have Henry's type of 2nd gear when the ball is in the air and he showed some improvement down the stretch last season on the little things. He'll be a UFA, so let's give him a shot.

I'll say this one time...

Chris Henry is only in the NFL right now because of Mike Brown. I don't feel this way about most players... but Henry owes the Bengals some loyalty. If he tests the waters in FA next year and walks away from Cincy because of a little bit more money, he will be the biggest scumbag to ever put on a Bengals uniform... and that's saying something.

I'll say this one time...

Chris Henry is only in the NFL right now because of Mike Brown. I don't feel this way about most players... but Henry owes the Bengals some loyalty. If he tests the waters in FA next year and walks away from Cincy because of a little bit more money, he will be the biggest scumbag to ever put on a Bengals uniform... and that's saying something.

Indeed,Though if he does have a brake out year 1,000yards 10+ TD's we should have more then enough cap room...

Players who contract goes up next year

-Chris Henry All depends on how he plays

-Roy Williams If he can be a probowler again I wouldn't mind keeping him around

-Bobbie Williams-Getting up there but he'll be cheap

-Tank Johnson Rather just see us go DT in the draft

-Rashad Jeanty,Blackstock & B.Johnson

I think it's all about how well Brat utilizes Henry's talent... He (Henry) can't run the same type of routes that 85 runs. Brat needs to design those T.O./Randy Moss type routes specifically for Henry.

Coaching is everything and I'm sure they are exploring these type of plays... Here's what I want to see: Drags (short and mid), In's/Out's, Posts/Skinny Post, Fades, Slants, and of course seams/stretch (deep ball). Henry's not the guy you go to on a 3rd and long sideline route, that's Chad or Coles. I'm not saying he can't go sideline but Henry goes over the middle. That's where the big things will happen for a player of his caliber.

If you watch T.O. and R. Moss, they do not run alot of crazy routes.. With a QB that can feed a big speedy target the ball, you don't need to run those.

I think another reason that Chad's numbers have dropped is that Brat never tries to do anything different with Chad. He always is in the same position, running the same routes. Meanwhile, TJ became the most reliable receiver for us over the last couple of years because he would be outside on one play, inside the next and was running a variety of different routes. I think if Brat got a little creative with Chad and gave him some different things to do he'd be more productive.

I'm not saying he can't go sideline but Henry goes over the middle. That's where the big things will happen for a player of his caliber.
I'm a bit concerned if Henry's skill set is going across the middle, when he has shown such a propensity for alligator arms. If he's the Bengal's best across the middle weapon... that spells trouble.

I think another reason that Chad's numbers have dropped is that Brat never tries to do anything different with Chad. He always is in the same position, running the same routes. Meanwhile, TJ became the most reliable receiver for us over the last couple of years because he would be outside on one play, inside the next and was running a variety of different routes. I think if Brat got a little creative with Chad and gave him some different things to do he'd be more productive.

No offense Ickey, but with Chad, he's all about timing. He's a finese WR. His problem hasn't been Brat's lack of creativity. Chad's problem has been two things over the last couple years:

1. Lack of QB protection (O-Line weakness) - When he can't finish running his route before the QB getting rushed or forced out of the pocket, he won't produce. It's simple. Chad runs his route, Palmers forced to rush his throw, the throw is too high or uncatchable. Chad's numbers drop. Or, Chad can't run the deep route because his QB is on his ass...

2. No QB - Carson hasn't been the same since '05. No brainer. Hopefully this will be the year he bounces back. Last year doesn't count, you had a no name backup QB in there.

Chad's problem has been two things over the last couple years:

1. Lack of QB protection (O-Line weakness) - When he can't finish running his route before the QB getting rushed or forced out of the pocket, he won't produce. It's simple. Chad runs his route, Palmers forced to rush his throw, the throw is too high or uncatchable. Chad's numbers drop. Or, Chad can't run the deep route because his QB is on his ass...

2. No QB - Carson hasn't been the same since '05. No brainer. Hopefully this will be the year he bounces back. Last year doesn't count, you had a no name backup QB in there.

You missed several other items, specifically:

1) He became a cancer in the offseason, alienating his coaches, teammates, and all fans capable of rational thought

2) He failed to take care of an issue requiring surgery until late in the offseason, preventing him from being fully healthy for camp

3) He failed to attend OTAs, so he was poorly prepared for the season

4) He dropped every other catchable ball

5) He failed to give full effort during games, even sitting on his duff after an interception he caused rather than chasing the guy down

6) he's never blocked. never. He should do every damn thing he can given the amount he is paid to make this team better

In other words, he flat out stunk up the joint with his unprofessional conduct. He S U C K E D, and did so O N P U R P O S E. He should be ashamed to cash his paychecks, frankly. If any of the rest of us performed our own jobs at the level he did last year, we would be out of a job. He should be as well.

Err, if only I could remember how Army puts it........oh yeah.............

F*CK YOU CHAD!

(Army, if you trademarked that line, let me know where to send the 5$ in license usage fees)

(Sorry Greg - maybe you could move my post as well as agreen's brainless blather to the "All Droppo, All the Time" thread?)

Again not to bring up old posts, Carson Palmer was Pro Bowl MVP in 2006 AFTER his knee injury. IF a 93.9 QB Rating and a better than 62% completion rate is down then I will take it considering he was the second or third best all around QB in the league. 2007 his production dipped but EVERY QB in NFL history has had seasons that didn't come out as planned, all that being said it had nothing to do with his knee because, again, he was PRO Bowl MVP (which means you have to make the All-Pro team) in 2006 after his injury. In 2007 Palmer increased his completion % over 2006 and had his best year yard -wise so his only knock that year was his high rate of INTs and even at that he had 26 TDs to 20 INTs, again I'll take that in a down year. In 2001 Peyton Manning had a year VERY similar to Palmer's 2007 26 TDs 23 INTs almost identical completion % and QB Rating fewer yards too bad he couldn't bounce back from that.....he did, well how about that! Are you speculating that he won't be the same after his ELBOW injury? At that I say where's the proof, he hasn't played 2 full games since he injured his elbow.

You present this concept that Palmer hasn't been the same since the 2005 playoff year but there is 0 statistical evidence to back that up.

We all agree that 2007 was a bad year for Palmer, here are the QBs that had a better year statisticly last year than Palmer in 2007:

Drew Brees

Kurt Warner

Aaron Rodgers

Philip Rivers

Peyton Manning

So if what we are saying is that Palmer at his worst year since his first year is the 6th best QB in the league, I'll take that...won't you? Oh and he's ALOT younger than either Warner or Manning.

1) He became a cancer in the offseason, alienating his coaches, teammates, and all fans capable of rational thought

2) He failed to take care of an issue requiring surgery until late in the offseason, preventing him from being fully healthy for camp

5) He failed to give full effort during games, even sitting on his duff after an interception he caused rather than chasing the guy down

6) he's never blocked. never. He should do every damn thing he can given the amount he is paid to make this team better

In other words, he flat out stunk up the joint with his unprofessional conduct. He S U C K E D, and did so O N P U R P O S E. He should be ashamed to cash his paychecks, frankly. If any of the rest of us performed our own jobs at the level he did last year, we would be out of a job. He should be as well.

F*CK YOU CHAD!

(Army, if you trademarked that line, let me know where to send the 5$ in license usage fees)

(Sorry Greg - maybe you could move my post as well as agreen's brainless blather to the "All Droppo, All the Time" thread?)

It's cool. You did forget something off the list, however, as did our friend, greenie. He runs outside patterns on inside routes. He runs inside patterns on outside routes. He runs over and proposes to the cheerleaders on slant routes. He runs and hides like a little girl on middle of the field routes where he knows he's gonna get slammed.

Other than those addendums, he's aces.

He's got the size and speed to line up on the outside though. I'd have thought Caldwell was pencilled in for the between the numbers guy or maybe wassname, our FA signing whose name escapes me right now.

Coles. But I actually think Caldwell is the most likely TJ clone on the team right now.

That's the one and I agree with you about Caldwell. He's got the stockiness required, or at least that's my uninformed opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Again not to bring up old posts, Carson Palmer was Pro Bowl MVP in 2006 AFTER his knee injury. IF a 93.9 QB Rating and a better than 62% completion rate is down then I will take it considering he was the second or third best all around QB in the league. 2007 his production dipped but EVERY QB in NFL history has had seasons that didn't come out as planned, all that being said it had nothing to do with his knee because, again, he was PRO Bowl MVP (which means you have to make the All-Pro team) in 2006 after his injury. In 2007 Palmer increased his completion % over 2006 and had his best year yard -wise so his only knock that year was his high rate of INTs and even at that he had 26 TDs to 20 INTs, again I'll take that in a down year. In 2001 Peyton Manning had a year VERY similar to Palmer's 2007 26 TDs 23 INTs almost identical completion % and QB Rating fewer yards too bad he couldn't bounce back from that.....he did, well how about that! Are you speculating that he won't be the same after his ELBOW injury? At that I say where's the proof, he hasn't played 2 full games since he injured his elbow.

You present this concept that Palmer hasn't been the same since the 2005 playoff year but there is 0 statistical evidence to back that up.

We all agree that 2007 was a bad year for Palmer, here are the QBs that had a better year statisticly last year than Palmer in 2007:

Drew Brees

Kurt Warner

Aaron Rodgers

Philip Rivers

Peyton Manning

So if what we are saying is that Palmer at his worst year since his first year is the 6th best QB in the league, I'll take that...won't you? Oh and he's ALOT younger than either Warner or Manning.

Honestly Wraith, stats don't mean SHIOT!

2006 - Palmer was a Pro Bowler, who cares. I want a Super Bowl. With an excellent o-line and Palmer not being so gun shy, his "#'s" would've been a LOT higher in 2006. A LOT higher! He could be the best QB in this league if he had the protection. In 2005, Palmer was arguably THE best.

You can't deny the fact that our offensive line has sucked balls since 2005.

I'll take a 6th best in his worst year, sure. But Wraith, the difference between Manning and Palmer is that Manning has other players around him to pick him up when he has bad play. He has an o-line that can pave the way for the RB to move the chains. That's the differnce... It ALL boils down to how well your offensive line plays. If you o-line plays bad, your QB plays bad and therefor your WR's production goes DOWN.

Is it really that hard guys?

The good news is that this is going to be a good year for our O-line. Believe me, give Chad one more year. If he sucks it up, then you can hate him all you want.

F*CK YOU CHAD!

It's cool. You did forget something off the list, however, as did our friend, greenie. He runs outside patterns on inside routes. He runs inside patterns on outside routes. He runs over and proposes to the cheerleaders on slant routes. He runs and hides like a little girl on middle of the field routes where he knows he's gonna get slammed.

Other than those addendums, he's aces.

Yeah, I'm sure you were loving every minute of it too back then.. I don't care who you are, that stuff was funny and we loved it! Now that it's cool to hate Chad, he's a distraction. Pathetic.

I'm just glad my boy Henry is stepping up. If 85 decides to show up we're stacked at WR. Henry, Chad and Coles will tear it up!

Here's the truth and I would assume that many fans feel the same way...

I miss the old Chad. You know, the one that played to the crowd throwing out footballs, staying at the stadium prepping for games, bringing the football team out of the dark times with some fun and laughter, and making it cool to be a Bengals fan again. Sure, I loved the antics when he scored, I'll admit that and have no issue with it.

But there's a problem now. That Chad is dead.

He's not the same guy who puts in time to get better when he's not here to go through the new stuff and be a mentor to the young WR's (no I don't care what his coach says). He doesn't play to the crowd anymore at all. Now he puts himself above all other things and has actually distanced himself from the fans. He can come back and say what he wants about "I hope the fans realize it's not personal" but it is. He made it that way and when he changed his stance on how he conducts himself and LIES to the organization, it affects the fans opinion. For him to not realize this is just ignorant.

I'm of the line of thought that if he brings it this year and helps the team, then great. I'll cheer the Bengals on. The Bengals, not Chad. The only thing I'll be hoping for is that he has a good enough season that we could get something in trade for him later in the year before the trade deadline if we are out of the playoff race or during the offseason.

No TJ, I have no trademark on the F*CK YOU CHAD, so feel free to use it at will. I'm just an "F" bomb kind of guy.

Call it the military mindset, call it what you want, it's just how I'm wired.

Here's the truth and I would assume that many fans feel the same way...

I miss the old Chad. You know, the one that played to the crowd throwing out footballs, staying at the stadium prepping for games, bringing the football team out of the dark times with some fun and laughter, and making it cool to be a Bengals fan again. Sure, I loved the antics when he scored, I'll admit that and have no issue with it.

But there's a problem now. That Chad is dead.

He's not the same guy who puts in time to get better when he's not here to go through the new stuff and be a mentor to the young WR's (no I don't care what his coach says). He doesn't play to the crowd anymore at all. Now he puts himself above all other things and has actually distanced himself from the fans. He can come back and say what he wants about "I hope the fans realize it's not personal" but it is. He made it that way and when he changed his stance on how he conducts himself and LIES to the organization, it affects the fans opinion. For him to not realize this is just ignorant.

I'm of the line of thought that if he brings it this year and helps the team, then great. I'll cheer the Bengals on. The Bengals, not Chad. The only thing I'll be hoping for is that he has a good enough season that we could get something in trade for him later in the year before the trade deadline if we are out of the playoff race or during the offseason.

No TJ, I have no trademark on the F*CK YOU CHAD, so feel free to use it at will. I'm just an "F" bomb kind of guy.

Call it the military mindset, call it what you want, it's just how I'm wired.

I miss that Chad too.. But somewhere througout all the losing and, I hate to say this, bungle-ness, the old Chad died.

We, the organization, seem to be heading in the right direction. Maybe the HBO thing will turn out to be the best thing that happend to this team.

Believe me, give Chad one more year. If he sucks it up, then you can hate him all you want.

Nah, why wait?

He's an absolute worthless scumbag/douchebag/cancer/poison now, so I'll hate him now

Thanks.

I wouldn't expect the most negative person on these boards to give him another chance.. Drop the shield man. Take a look at Chad and say he sucks. You know damn well he is probably THE most talented player on this team (Palmer's up there too).

I think that another reason that CHenry maybe more focused, and trying to stay out of trouble is that he sees what happened to his old teamate at W.Virginia, Pacman and how he may have blown his last chance to get stay in the league...