Henry Focused, Ready for Season

May 8, 2009

Henry Focused, Ready for Season

By Martin Smith

Oft-troubled WR sounds relaxed, enthused about Bengals chances in 2009

This season is supposed to be the season for redemption for the Cincinnati Bengals. After a 4-11-1 finish in 2009, the Bengals were due for a major overhaul. After a solid draft class along with the signings of such free agents such as Tank Johnson, Roy Williams and Laveranues Coles and a trade sending fringe roster DT Orien Harris to St. Louis for hard nosed RB Brian Leonard, many of the Bengals I have communicated with are excited. One of those players happens to be Chris Henry, whom I sat down with for a brief chat.

If there’s anyone who should be optimistic, it’s Henry. Known more for his exploits off the field as opposed to those on it, Henry has truly enjoyed a quiet offseason. Henry has also watched intently as Mike Brown and the Bengals war room signed, drafted, and traded the franchise into a team that, on paper, looks vastly improved over last year’s 4-11-1 squad. Add in the re appearance of a healthy Chad Ocho Cinco, along with the return of quarterback Carson Palmer, and Henry has a lot to be excited about as the third receiver in a Bengals offense that has become known for lighting up the scoreboard, when healthy.

In speaking with Henry, I was given the sense that he is relaxed and quietly preparing for what could be his last chance to earn a big payday on sport’s biggest stage. Signed to a two year contract last year, it stands reason to think that his loyalty would lie with Mike Brown and the Bengals, who have given Henry several chances to right the ship. However, this is the NFL, and players come and go between teams at lightning speed. At the same time, I was also given a sense of the overabundance of confidence that it takes to play the wide receiver position in the NFL. When asked if one of the team’s roster spots was a lock for him, Henry replied “Oh, one of those spots is definitely mine…I plan on doing some big things this season.”

When asked about quarterback Carson Palmer, Henry replied: “Yea, he’s 100%. You know, he’s smiling everyday and he’s just excited to get back out there, you know.” Of course, if anyone should be excited about the return of Palmer, it’s Henry. Dating back to 2005, when he was drafted, all but two of Henry’s 19 career touchdown catches have come from Palmer. Adding Carson Palmer to any offense makes it better. However, adding Palmer back to a Bengals offense with the likes of Coles, Ocho Cinco, and Henry, and its lethal.

The most refreshing thing about the time I spoke with Henry was a sense of modesty and a knowing that great things are expected of him. When asked about the prospects of a ten touchdown season, he replied “Aw, man, I’m working towards that, you know? Hopefully I can get the chance to make that happen.” When asked about prospects for his first 1,000 yard season, Henry replied “Oh, yea, well with Carson back and with (Laveranues) Coles and Chad (Ocho Cinco) and myself and with all the younger receivers, man, it could be that type of year.”

At the end of the conversation, I could sense that Henry is much more relaxed heading into the 2009 campaign. He answered all of questions, taking time to give a measured and sensible response. He seemed to be enjoying himself through our entire conversation, and you could hear his children talking in the background throughout. It seems that Henry has his focus firmly on football and doing what he can to help the Bengals have a successful 2009 season.

Extra Points:

• Bengals K Shayne Graham signed his franchise tender this week. It is a one year, $2.483 million dollar deal.

• Practice squad member Maurice Purify seems ready to do anything he can to make the team this year. Except for returning kickoffs and punts “Aw, man, that’s not my spot” said Purify to me this week, “I’m too big for that. I’m 6’4; I’m too big for that. I’ll leave that to the little fast people. I’ll block for ‘em though.” Isn’t that a refreshing thought? A Bengals receiver that will block.

• Counting draft picks, the Bengals currently have 86 players on the roster. That number has to be down to 80 by the time the team heads to training camp on July 30th. Look for names such as Kenny Watson, Daniel Coats, and Brad St Louis to hit the waiver wire before then.

Cincinnati Defender and Blog Talk Radio host Martin Smith, covering sports on a local level in Cincinnati as well as a nationwide platform.

http://www.cincinnatidefender.com/

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/Bengals-Roar-Radio

http://www.bengalsroar.com

http://twitter.com/BengalsRoar

http://cincysportsdude.blogspot.com/

http://cincysportsdude.livejournal.com/

http://cincysportsdude.wordpress.com/

http://bleacherreport.com/users/113469-Martin-Smith

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its great to hear a positive story about Chris Henry, especially one that focuses on the upcoming season rather than his brushes with the law.

On the phone, Chris seems like a really good guy. I could hear his kids laughing, etc. He sounded VERY relaxed.

Don't foreget too that David Lee, his Agent, has done some MAJOR damage control.

Good to hear,The guy has the talent to be the next moss he just has to to focus and keep his ass out of trouble.

Nothing against Marvin Fraizer, but I think Dave Lee has finally done some things to make Chris "Get it"

That, and kids will mellow out anyone.

True, I was a loose cannon until my daughter was born... I was super happy that SOP gave Henry that "one last chance." This kid has what it takes to become a really really good WR. He made a lot of little stupid, idiotic mistakes (and a pretty big one too - waving a gun) Look for him to get that #2 spot this year. I'm not making any statistic predictions but as long as Carson stays healthy, I think Henry will have a BIG year.

Henry IS Carson's favorite deep target.

I've said for some time that the kid has the talent to be a top-10 receiver in the league, but it wouldn't matter until he could get through an off-season without getting arrested. Well, it's looking like he's getting close to pulling it off. I also liked the way he started blocking last season, shows he might finally be starting to get it.

Now, if the line can only block long enough for Slim to beat the corner on that nasty deep route of his...

Good to hear,The guy has the talent to be the next moss he just has to to focus and keep his ass out of trouble.

Nothing against Marvin Fraizer, but I think Dave Lee has finally done some things to make Chris "Get it"

That, and kids will mellow out anyone.

True, I was a loose cannon until my daughter was born... I was super happy that SOP gave Henry that "one last chance." This kid has what it takes to become a really really good WR. He made a lot of little stupid, idiotic mistakes (and a pretty big one too - waving a gun) Look for him to get that #2 spot this year. I'm not making any statistic predictions but as long as Carson stays healthy, I think Henry will have a BIG year.

Henry IS Carson's favorite deep target.

I agree wholeheartedly with your very well reasoned and logical assessment. If fact, I'm not sure I've ever agreed more with one of your posts.

HOWEVER...Henry demonstrated a lot of mental errors on the field last season, pulling up short on deep routes, dropping some good balls. I'm on the cautiously optimistic train on Henry. I always felt he had the tools, and I hope his personal life is straightened out so we don't read about him and Tank and Andre getting popped somewhere. He needs to get his head 100% in the game. He wasn't the only one with those issues last year, as I think many of the players bagged it when Carson went on the shelf. I'm just saying.

I think most people would agree that Henry has the tools and if he kept himself out of trouble long enough to realize his gift, he may be a very good WR in the league.

He appears to be doing everything expected of him and we will have to see how it turns out.

I'm hopeful with Henry though.

Henry demonstrated a lot of mental errors on the field last season, pulling up short on deep routes, dropping some good balls. I'm on the cautiously optimistic train on Henry.

Yeah. No one has ever questioned his physical skills... and when criticized it has almost always been for his off the field antics. And because that was always the main gripe fans had with him, his shortcomings on the field don't get discussed all that much.

Well... since it appears that he might not be a complete tool anymore - let's talk about his performance on the field.

He's not a great route runner, he drops too many easy catches, and has really bad alligator arms when going across the middle.

Hopefully a full offseason without trouble will allow him to focus on football instead of his legal troubles and some of these issues will have been worked out. And while I'm always happy to see a guy of his talent on the field, my optimism about him will be tempered until I see him add the kind of skills that come through hard work rather than natural ability.

That's one of the better Bengal related articles I've read recently.

Not much to say about Henry that hasn't been said a million times already, but this jumped out...

Counting draft picks, the Bengals currently have 86 players on the roster. That number has to be down to 80 by the time the team heads to training camp on July 30th. Look for names such as Kenny Watson, Daniel Coats, and Brad St Louis to hit the waiver wire before then.

Not much to say about Henry that hasn't been said a million times already, but this jumped out...

Counting draft picks, the Bengals currently have 86 players on the roster. That number has to be down to 80 by the time the team heads to training camp on July 30th. Look for names such as Kenny Watson, Daniel Coats, and Brad St Louis to hit the waiver wire before then.

I appreciate the kind words.

This team is definately having a youth movement. With St Louis being 33 and a 10 year vet, it's only a matter of time.

I appreciate the kind words.

This team is definately having a youth movement. With St Louis being 33 and a 10 year vet, it's only a matter of time.

St. Louis is a long snapper. He can do that job until he's George Blanda-age, or until the team finds a better alternative.

I'm all for the idea...especially if the replacement is more versatile and allows the team to free up a roster spot currently devoted to a dedicated longsnapper who only plays 5 or 6 plays a game.

But who's pushing him?

I'm all for the idea...especially if the replacement is more versatile and allows the team to free up a roster spot currently devoted to a dedicated longsnapper who only plays 5 or 6 plays a game.

But who's pushing him?

This guy.

See, if you spent more time on worthless blogs that do nothing but post links, you'd know that... ;)

But who's pushing him?

This guy.

See, if you spent more time on worthless blogs that do nothing but post links, you'd know that... ;)

Good to know...but ask the Giants about the value of a somewhat reliable long-snapper. Cost them a playoff shot a few years back if I recall.

Good to know...but ask the Giants about the value of a somewhat reliable long-snapper. Cost them a playoff shot a few years back if I recall.

Shoot, I've been following the Bengals long enough to recall the adventures in longsnapping that led to the drafting of St. Louis. And Ive had very few complaints about him over the years, though he has had a couple of chokes (usually misattributed to Graham) in recent seasons.

That said, the Florida kid sounds both solid and just the type of player the Bengals need a few dozen more of. Plus he'd shave at least half a million off the payroll and the cap versus Brad.

But who's pushing him?

This guy.

I like a good fluff piece about a long snapper making it big in the world as much as the next guy, but I hope you're wrong on this one. If the Bengals really do bounce St. Louis I hope it's because one of the three conventional centers already on the roster was versatile enough to assume long snapping chores.

But who's pushing him?

This guy.

Interesting Article said he was undersized LB but at 6'2 244 he's only 5 lbs lighter then maualuga ...If he can beat out brad it will save mikey a few dollars and since your bringing in a new punter,your kicker only has a one year contract you may as find a new young long snapper well your at it.

PS,was also interesting even though he was only a LS the guy was a leader on the 2time national champions.

I hope Cheech plays better than he did last year. Supposedly he was working out with Carson in California, so I'm guardedly optimistic.

He basically lost everything before the redeemer decided to give him one more chance. And from what I can tell, he's qualified to do nothing else. So if he screws it up by pointing a gun at an underage parking attendant in a sleazy motel room, it will defy all reason, rational thought, and just basic common sense.

I like a good fluff piece about a long snapper making it big in the world as much as the next guy, but I hope you're wrong on this one. If the Bengals really do bounce St. Louis I hope it's because one of the three conventional centers already on the roster was versatile enough to assume long snapping chores.

It would be nice to double up a roster spot, though I remember Marvin saying a few years back that he'd rather the LS be just that because he didn't want him to be hurt doing something else.

As for Smith...we'll see. Hobs had a little blurb after they signed him following a tryout at minicamp. Apparently he has the speed they like in terms of getting the ball off the ground and to the punter/holder, but wasn't asked to protect at Florida. There, he just snapped and took off downfield. So that's his challenge now, to develop that part of his game.

I just keep looking at the $500k+ Brown could save by going with a rook versus a 10-year vet and wondering how much impact that might have.

St. Louis is a long snapper. He can do that job until he's George Blanda-age, or until the team finds a better alternative.

I have wanted St. Louis gone since 2005. The guy is money until the chips are on the line...then he chokes. It happened in the 05 playoff game, happened in 06, and happened in 07, all in games where we could have clinched.

Longsnapper is a valuable position. But lets get someone in there that won't choke during crunch time.

If Chris Henry has a brain in his head, he would Bust-His-A$$ this season, and have a HUGE year.

#1 The guy hasnt been in any trouble in over a year.

#2 After being released by the Bengals last off-season, they re-signed him to a 2-yr deal, Which means, he will be a Free-Agent after this season.

#3 Production in the NFL makes many teams forget about knucklehead bahavior.

So, there you have it.....Expect a BIG year......Then expect Al Davis to sign him.

I have wanted St. Louis gone since 2005. The guy is money until the chips are on the line...then he chokes. It happened in the 05 playoff game, happened in 06, and happened in 07, all in games where we could have clinched.

Longsnapper is a valuable position. But lets get someone in there that won't choke during crunch time.

When could the Bengals have clinched anything in '07? They went 7-9, and had to win 3 of their last 4 just to get to that number. They were eliminated from playoff contention by week 11 that year.

When could the Bengals have clinched anything in '07? They went 7-9, and had to win 3 of their last 4 just to get to that number. They were eliminated from playoff contention by week 11 that year.

True about 07. That was the year where there were so many crazy snaps early on during FGs and PATs. Commentators even remarked on our punter's ability to pull so many out of the dirt. The streak I was refering to started with that playoff game, carried through 06 and into the 1st half of 07. Then by the tail end of 07 like you said, we were out of it already so naturally St. Louis was money again.