Peter King's Power Rankings for 2009

ArmyBengal

Here's what I don't understand:

The Bengals have had 1 winning season and 17 losing seasons in the past 18 years.

Yet, whenever some sports writer picks the Bengals to be losers again, then he "has a bug up his butt," or "is always picking on the Bengals," or whatever.

If the Bengals could string together 2 or 3 winning seasons, then we would find the national talking heads singing a different tune about our Bengals.

Now, I don't know what "28th" means exactly as far as power rankings go, but it sounds pretty close to 6-10 which is where I have the Bengals at this point.

Everybody EXCEPT those who post on Bengal fan boards in May knows that the oline just isn't going to get it done and the defense doesn't have enough experience to be anything other than improved but still inconsistent with not enough depth.

Add in the annual injury bug to expose lack of depth and the writing is clearly on the wall. Its written in orange though, so you have to take the orange glasses off to see it. ;)

I don't think 28th equates to 6-10...more like 4-12 or worse. The Bengals picked 6th in the draft with a 4-11-1 record and 28th would mean a worse finish than last year. So, is King probably off-base....yeah. Should the Bengals be ranked in the top 5....no. 28th is pretty low, however, when it means they did all of the positive things King mentions and yet should be expected to have a worse year than last year. And we really get that anybody who thinks the Bengals are going to be decent next year has their head in the sand and is in denial according to you. But you're guilty of being as extreme in the other direction as those you keep complaining about.

How the hell can you even have power rankings this early in the year, there have been no games played no injuries to report, so what are they basing this off of, last years performance. I dont get it why even put a power ranking out why not wait till preseason is over then rank them before the 1st game. I agree 28th is very low, but whats he even going off of.

The Bengals have had 1 winning season and 17 losing seasons in the past 18 years.

Yet, whenever some sports writer picks the Bengals to be losers again, then he "has a bug up his butt," or "is always picking on the Bengals," or whatever.

If the Bengals could string together 2 or 3 winning seasons, then we would find the national talking heads singing a different tune about our Bengals.

Now, I don't know what "28th" means exactly as far as power rankings go, but it sounds pretty close to 6-10 which is where I have the Bengals at this point.

Everybody EXCEPT those who post on Bengal fan boards in May knows that the oline just isn't going to get it done and the defense doesn't have enough experience to be anything other than improved but still inconsistent with not enough depth.

Add in the annual injury bug to expose lack of depth and the writing is clearly on the wall. Its written in orange though, so you have to take the orange glasses off to see it. ;)

Actually the Bengals have had a lot of 8-8 seasons in the past 18 years, so technically they haven't had 17 losing seasons but your point is 100% correct. Jeeze, the Bengals have not had back to back winning seasons since the 1981-1982 seasons. So I don't take it personal when sports writers make fun of us. I just laugh and hope that the Bengals can prove them wrong.......

Well, if King had said, "the Bengals have sucked for 17 of the last 18 years so they'll suck again," that's fine.

But that's not what he said. Instead, he praises everything they've done, and then says they'll suck because Palmer may be hurt (no indication his elbow is a problem) and they'll need to score a lot of point (why? the D is actually the strength of the team).

The problem is lazy ignorance, not analysis.

I am exicted to find out that Spor tees is still harboring old wounds. Spor tees, as god is my witness, I had forgotten about whatever that was. This board is awesome.

And, yes, Spor tees, when one poster moves s**t from one thread to another, in an attempt at a call out, and does so while misrepresenting what was posted in that thread, I move to "dink". And appreciate that Greg knows what precipitated this was the aforesaid ill-advised and mistaken call out. And, no, spor tees, it is not at all unlike what other posters occasionally engage in. But, thanks for letting me know I bug you, I got that going for me.

And, in the end, James Brooks 21 and I are both Bengals fans, and will, I suspect, four months from now, not remember or care that we have so disagreed over the Leonard guy. But I will remember that I am under your skin, so, again, I go that going for me.

And, we all agree that Peter King is a massive tool. Who, even so, when he makes a living slagging on all things that the Bengals do, likes the Leonard pick-up.

Well, if King had said, "the Bengals have sucked for 17 of the last 18 years so they'll suck again," that's fine.

But that's not what he said. Instead, he praises everything they've done, and then says they'll suck because Palmer may be hurt (no indication his elbow is a problem) and they'll need to score a lot of point (why? the D is actually the strength of the team).

Applause.

Applause.

X2.

Who even relies on the SI as a respectable and up-to-date source of sports information these days?

He probably thinks Ki-Jana will never shake the bust label if he doesn't shake the injury bug.

If you don't like what one "Pete" has to say, you may like anothers...

Prisco's post-draft Power Rankings

By Pete Prisco

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Here are the post-draft Power Rankings:

Power Rankings

Current Team Previous

1 Patriots · Trends 11

They get Tom Brady back. They have the deepest team in the league. Oh, and they have the best coach. Add it up, and it's no wonder they are Super favorites.

2 Steelers · Trends 1

The champions are loaded again and will be in the thick of it come playoff time. They didn't do much to improve their offensive line, though, which has to be a concern.

3 Colts · Trends 7

Peyton Manning is back healthy again, so they are a real contender again. The addition of Donald Brown to the running game will give it more explosiveness. The key will be the return to health of major defensive players.

4 Cardinals · Trends 2

They've done some nice things in the offseason, including adding corner Bryant McFadden and drafting Beanie Wells to carry the football. They will be a playoff team again and maybe they'll finish in Miami.

5 Eagles · Trends 4

They've had a wonderful offseason, adding key players like tackles Jason Peters and Stacey Andrews and loading up in the draft with speed and quickness. They will be tough to stop on offense.

6 Giants · Trends 5

They fortified the defense with some key free agents and added a speed receiver in Hakeem Nicks to the passing game. Tom Coughlin will have this team in the playoffs again.

7 Titans · Trends 6

They haven't done a lot, and losing Albert Haynesworth will hurt. The other thing is their division is tough. They also have to get more big plays from their passing game.

8 Ravens · Trends 3

Joe Flacco will be better in his second season as a starter and that defense will once again be among the best. They do have to take their passing game up a notch.

9 Falcons · Trends 9

It's all about the defense for the Falcons. Adding Tony Gonzalez makes the offense complete and the draft was loaded with defensive picks to help the other side. They aren't going away.

10 Saints · Trends 19

This is another team that has improved its defense in the past four months in terms of talent. Now new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has to bring it all together.

11 Chargers · Trends 10

This is still a deep, talented team. If Philip Rivers continues to develop, the Chargers will easily be the class of the AFC West.

12 Texans · Trends 17

The Texans have a lot of important pieces in place. As long as Matt Schaub can stay healthy, they might be ready to make a real playoff push.

13 Panthers · Trends 8

They will be the same team: Run heavy and play tough defense. Is that enough? Jake Delhomme has to play better.

14 Bears · Trends 18

Getting Jay Cutler is the steal of the offseason. He makes them a real playoff threat. Yes, I do believe that.

15 Cowboys · Trends 14

They have talent, but something just seems to be off. I don't think they're as good as the Eagles or Giants in their own division, which is why they are down this low.

16 Bengals · Trends 24

Getting Palmer back makes them dangerous and the defense will be better around him. I like the Bengals as a sleeper team. I really do.

17 Vikings · Trends 13

Quarterback. It's all about the quarterback. Whether it's Sage Rosenfels or Tarvaris Jackson, that position has to be better. Words of advice: Stay away from that guy named Favre.

18 Packers · Trends 23

The move to a 3-4 under new coordinator Dom Capers will be one to watch closely. If that side of the ball plays better, Aaron Rodgers might get them to a playoff game.

19 Bills · Trends 22

Can Terrell Owens make them a playoff team? That might be stretching it, but they will be better on offense.

20 Seahawks · Trends 28

New coach Jim Mora takes over a veteran team that was hurt by injuries last season. They need to keep Matt Hasselbeck healthy. If they do, they will push the Cardinals.

21 Jets · Trends 16

How long does it take to get Mark Sanchez ready? If he's what they think he is, they will be better than expected. If not, it's a redshirt season and they will win six games.

22 Buccaneers · Trends 15

Who plays quarterback? Whoever it is has to be better than what they had last season. There are also some age concerns on defense. New coach Raheem Morris faces a challenging first season.

23 Redskins · Trends 25

They're the fourth team in a four-team division. That will make it tough to win eight games.

24 Jaguars · Trends 26

They've made some nice moves to fix the offensive line, and now it's time for the offense to do more. The defense also needs young players to step up, especially end Derrick Harvey.

25 Broncos · Trends 20

They're excited about Kyle Orton. I'm not. I think he's OK. They better hope the defense plays better than a year ago or it won't matter who quarterbacks the Broncos. I do like Knowshon Moreno.

26 Dolphins · Trends 12

They are the step-back team this season. But in 2010, look out. I think Chad Henne will take over at some time this season.

27 49ers · Trends 21

It's all quarterback with the 49ers. Can Shaun Hill or Alex Smith get the job done? If not, they'll stay down here all year long.

28 Raiders · Trends 27

It's all about JaMarcus Russell. If he plays an entire season to the level of expectations, the Raiders will be better. I think he can. But they have other issues.

29 Chiefs · Trends 29

They landed their quarterback in Matt Cassel and have added a few players to help, but new coach Todd Haley faces a big task in getting this offense to play like his Arizona unit did.

30 Browns · Trends 30

New coach Eric Mangini will build this team the way he wants it. But one has to wonder if that's a good thing considering his Jets history.

31 Rams · Trends 31

The Rams were a disaster last year. New coach Steve Spagnuolo has a lot of work to do. They're at least a year away.

32 Lions · Trends 32

They have their franchise quarterback to build around, and Jim Schwartz will do a good job, but there's a lot of work still to be done.

what the hell is a dink

(D)ual (I)ncome, (N)o (K)ids......livin the good life

OK, so Peter King sucks. We can all agree on that, at least in regard to his lack of respect for the Bengals.

But where would everyone put the Bengals? Or does everyone think that power rankings are stupid at this point in the offseason?

Personally, I always read power rankings. I always like to see what people have to say, especially about the Bengals. I would probably place the Bengals in the 15-18 range. I think they will make the playoffs at some point in the next three years (hopefully all 3), but wins speak louder than my power rankings. Where would you place the Bengals?

I really like in 2006 when we started 3-0 when everyone was all over our nuts and we were like top 4 rankings. That was nice, but when we fell apart at the end of the season everyone jumped off the wagon. I could see us returning to that after we make the playoffs this season!

How the hell can you even have power rankings this early in the year, there have been no games played no injuries to report, so what are they basing this off of, last years performance. I dont get it why even put a power ranking out why not wait till preseason is over then rank them before the 1st game. I agree 28th is very low, but whats he even going off of.

You're right, they're completely bogus. I'll go you one better and say that even during the season they're stupid. I mean, who the hell cares who had the Pats at #1 in week 1 when one injury later, they're an afterthought.

However, the answer to your question lies with FutureBengal who points out that he always reads them. Especially when there's no other real football news going on (Favre aside :wacko: ) if you want to read about football, you're probably going to look at power rankings that mean a whole lot of nothing. They catch eyeballs if for no other reason than to get people riled up about ..... being disrespected. That's us baby.

I agree with you there. I agree with King's "what," but I think his "why" is pure laziness.

I really like in 2006 when we started 3-0 when everyone was all over our nuts and we were like top 4 rankings. That was nice, but when we fell apart at the end of the season everyone jumped off the wagon. I could see us returning to that after we make the playoffs this season!

That was because the Bengals went to the playoffs and started out well the following season.

Its funny how that works. Do well, and the sportswriters praise you. But lose year after year and imagine that! The sportswriters throw you under the bus. Crazy concept for some, I know.

Peter King is a TOOL !!!

Uh-oh. Confession Time.

I actually like Peter King as a writer. He's entertaining, can be extremely inciteful, and he really uses words well....he talks gooder than most of the posters here. <_<

That being said, he has a huge east coast bias, and is addicted to both coffee and his old pet marquee players (Brady, Manning, Rothless-booger, Urlacher, Merriman, etc). He really comes off as a snob.

So, until the Bengals get some love from the pro-bowl voters, writers like King will ignore Cincinnati.

This is all obviously Mike Brown's fault. :lol:

Well, if it's really confession time....

I rarely comment in any thread relating to power rankings, especially those posted in May. But I confess I do quickly scan the rankings just to see where the Cleveland Browns are ranked.

That's right, I look to see where the Cleveland Browns are ranked before bothering to look for my own beloved Bengals.

Because when things don't matter even in the slightest...it's always nice to see your enemies being disrespected.

BTW, Cleveland....30th ranked.