Bengals Make Trade: Orien Harris for Brian Leonard

mgilgris

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think this is a bad move, Leonard showed promise and I find it hard to believe harris was going to make the squad.

Nice -- an underrated blocker with good running and receiving skills. I hope Jeremi is ready for some more competition! :cheers:

I think this is the best off-season since Marvin has been here. He is a tough runner, and will be good at short yardage situations. Marvin said he wanted to change this teams makeup and he sure has!

Dont really know much of him, can he be a short yardage option like Mclean in Balt?

I think this is the best off-season since Marvin has been here. He is a tough runner, and will be good at short yardage situations. Marvin said he wanted to change this teams makeup and he sure has!

The biggest thing, is that Leonard brings a receiving threat out of the backfield. I also believe that in a pinch, he can play RB as well. In St. Louis, he started a few games while Stephen Jackson was hurt.

Dont really know much of him, can he be a short yardage option like Mclean in Balt?

The combination of Leonard and Ray Rice are what brought Rutgers into the national spotlight a couple of years ago. They were one of the best combination backfields in the nation.

So the Bengals got more trade return from Orien Harris than with Levi Jones?

:lol:

Never mind, this is fun.

I actually liked Harris a little, but he was a dead man walking thanks to a suddenly crowded rotation at DT. Nice job getting something of real value in return for a player who almost certainly wouldn't have had a roster spot without somebody better being injured.

As mentioned, tons of options at FB this year. However it finally shakes out doesn't matter as much to me as knowing this team will finally have a true FB on the roster.

This is a difficult move to figure out.

My first thought when I saw it was "This doesn't bode well for Jeremi Johnson." But they just re-signed the guy. Are they really trading for his replacement before the first practice?

Then my thought was, maybe Vakapuna is way too raw to be counted on as a FB... but I don't think they would make that judgement after rookie minis.

Then I thought, maybe we totally missed the plan, and they want Vakapuna at RB so they'll have a true goalline RB.

Then I thought, Well... the DT position was probably already set in stone, and Orien Harris was the odd man out. Maybe they just made a trade from a position with relatively few question marks, to bring in some real competition at a position with tons of question marks.

Regardless, it's a good move. We'll just have to sit back and see how it plays out - but there's nothing to complain about here.

Good move to bring in some competition, but the thing I like about it the most is the opportunity that Shirley has just been given in the DT rotation. Harris got far more snaps last year than Shirley and that may have just changed. Signing Tank pushed Shirley further back and with Harris getting moved, it puts him right back in the mix. I'm really hoping Shirley gets motivated to play !!!

I think Leonard is more RB than FB.

Definitely true. He will be Cedric Benson's backup.

We will keep Benson, Leonard, and then whoever wins the 3rd down RB job (Bernard Scott probably) as our RBs. And then whoever wins the FB competition between JJ, Fui, and Pressley. Fui and Pressley will be practice squad guys if they don't beat out JJ.

__Excellent__ move

Leonard is a BIG RB rather than a FB - can be used as either (ML loves versatile players)

Found some cached material from his profile on nfldraftcountdown

Strengths: A terrific runner for the position with great balance and instincts...Displays good feet and is deceptively agile...Tough, strong and powerful and does not go down easily...An excellent receiver and route runner with good hands who can run after the catch and be a weapon in the passing game...Unselfish and is a hard worker with great intangibles...An above average and adequate

from a patriots blog http://patriotsfanblog.wordpress.com/2006/...-brian-leonard/

Name - Brian Leonard

Position - FB

Height - 6-2

Weight - 235

College - Rutgers

Age - 22

Potential - C (What you see if what you get)

Positives - Look at how Ray Rice is doing, enough said. That’s all Leonard. While he is a great run blocker and he can get out of the back field and catch with the best of them, Larry Centers like when it comes to the passing game. Good tough runner, will run you over if you get in his way. Tough leader, who only wants to win. Major experience at Rutgers, playing all four years and doing well. As a FB he could also run by you, as a RB he can plow you over. If this kid gets in the right offense he’ll be solid for many years.

Negatives - Is he a RB or FB? That’s the big problem. And that’ll cause his stock to drop a little. If Brian plays RB he’ll be too slow for the position, and if he plays FB he’ll need to get much bigger, maybe around the 250 range. Don’t be shocked to see him moved to a TE position.

Found a predraft video

Found his combine numbers in his wikipedia entry: 4.49 40 and 28 reps at 225 lbs. N I C E.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Leonard

I can only guess that the Rams felt he was too much of an injury risk at this point. Naturally, we don't want to assume that risk, but for the cost (a DT that was not going to see the field much, if at all) I think this is a good risk to take.

Regarding

So the Bengals got more trade return from Orien Harris than with Levi Jones?

:lol:

I think this is more about salary cap - easier to trade young cheap healthy players rather than old expensive fragile players. emphasis on the cheap versus expensive here. Said another way, it's easier for both teams to absorb the low salaries of the these two players than absorb Levis - I would bet Levi will sign a min salary deal wherever he ends up

I dont think this is a bad move, Leonard showed promise and I find it hard to believe harris was going to make the squad.

We traded a DT who wasn't going to make the team for a FB who was taken in round 2.....WHERE IS MIKE BROWN!?!?!?!?! is he dead really wtf is going on.With the RB's / FB's we have I'd like to see us keep 5 3 RB's 2 FB's

RB:Benson,Leonard,Scott

FB:Pressley,Fui

Did Mike Brown hire a GM and not tell anybody about it? This is a GREAT move and it should instantly solidify the RB group, if Leonard is healthy. The downside is this probably means the end of both Dorsey and Watson, and more than likely means that JJ Johnson starts the season on the practice squad. Orien Harris showed some decent ability last season in limited action, but as many have said befor, wouldn't have made the team this year. Converting a last-minute waiver wire pickup in Harris to a 2nd round talant in Leonard is brilliant.

On an unrelated note, the Bengals probably have the two most "hurdling" runners with the football in the league in Coffman and now Leonard.

Did Mike Brown hire a GM and not tell anybody about it?

Completely agreed. I honestly wondered if anyone in the Bengals front office actually knew how to complete a trade transaction! (Kindof explained the RIcky Williams non-trade). Maybe Katie's been hard at work reading the rules for SoP.

Anybody care to weigh in on the dif between Brian Leonard and Gary Russell, who we cut only a week or so ago? Did we drop Russell because of the 2 guys we drafted or because this Leonard deal was in the works? Should we expect another RB to be cut before camp?

Top rated FB in the 2007 draft. Got hurt last year and hardly played. As noted can carry the ball - good goaline guy and can catch. Just wonder if he can stay healthy.

Doing some trolling on some of the Rams boards and that seems to be the big question. He has had surgery on both shoulders. Sounds like he was a player who got lost in the coaching change, when the new regime tried to convert him to a lead FB, where he struggled before going on IR. By most accounts, he is now healed and the Rams fans were interested in seeing what a healthy Leonard could do. Another interesting note is that he got beat out for the backup RB spot by fromer Buckeye Antonio Pittman, who was supposedly on his way to the Bengals before the Rams claimed him off waivers from New Orleans last year.

From the St. Louis Post Dispatch:

Rams trade RB Brian Leonard to Bengals

By Jim Thomas

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

A crowded competition for the No. 2 running back spot behind Steven Jackson got less congested Thursday, with the Rams trading running back Brian Leonard to Cincinnati for defensive tackle Orien Harris.

As of early Thursday afternoon, the Rams had yet to formally announce the deal but Leonard’s agent, Mike McCartney confirmed that the deal had been finalized.

“This is a great trade for Brian,” McCartney said. “I give the Rams credit for putting him in a great situation, with a great quarterback in Carson Palmer, where he can be a running back. “They’re going to put him in the nickel right away.”

After releasing Chris Perry recently, the Bengals don’t have a clear No. 2 running back behind starter Cedric Benson. The Bengals’ offseason roster currently includes Lindenwood University product DeDe Dorsey, Kenny Watson and sixth-round draft pick Bernard Scott at running back.

The Rams could never find a role for Leonard during his two seasons in St. Louis _ was he a running back or fullbacK? And that seemed to be the issue with new head coach Steve Spagnuolo as well. Leonard was bothered by shoulder injuries in both of his seasons in St. Louis, playing in only two games last season before going on injured reserve.

The second-round draft pick carried only two times for seven yards last season, but saw extensive action in place of the injured Jackson in 2007. That year, Leonard finished as the Rams’ second-leading rusher with 303 yards on 86 carries (a 3.5 average), and 30 catches for 183 yards. His best game came against Arizona on Oct. 7 of the ‘07 season when he rushed for 102 on 18 carries.

Harris was claimed off waivers from New Orleans by the Bengals before the start of the 2008 regular season. He played in 14 games with one start, finishing with 24 tackles. The addition of Tank Johnson in the offseason made him expendable. In St. Louis he has a chance to be the team’s fourth defensive tackle, with he and fourth-round draft pick Darell Scott backing up starters Adam Carriker and Clfiton Ryan.