Roy Williams Signed per .com

mgi

Yep. The stars are aligning for Mike Brown this year. He got incredible deals in the draft. He got a good deal with Benson, and found two bargains in FA with Tank and Roy... and might land another if they sign Roderick Hood.

I'm still trying to temper my optimism because there are so many question marks - but depending on how this plays out, we could easily look back on this as the best offseason ever.

Hell... if nothing else, Mike Brown is playing his cards right to get fans excited about a team that only had 4 wins last year. You've got to give the guy props for that.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, with the article on the official site saying the Bengals will carry only carry 5 safeties at most, but usually only carry four, we are looking at:

Williams

Crocker

Ndukwe

With White, Lynch, and Hebert trying to work into the 4th or possibly 5th spot.

I could see them carrying 5, but none of those guys plays the corner spot if called upon. If they do though, they could shelf White for a limited time to what they think about Lynch. If they only carry 4, I'm not so sure who stays. Arguments could be made for both Lynch and Hebert, but am thinking Hebert gets the nod at this point. If they feel White is healthy enough to go from the jump, it certainly changes things up.

It should be interesting to watch this unfold during camp...

EDIT: Very nice sig Kaz !!!

Well, with the article on the official site saying the Bengals will carry only carry 5 safeties at most, but usually only carry four, we are looking at:

Williams

Crocker

Ndukwe

I could see them carrying 5, but none of those guys plays the corner spot if called upon. If they do though, they could shelf White for a limited time to what they think about Lynch. If they only carry 4, I'm not so sure who stays. Arguments could be made for both Lynch and Hebert, but am thinking Hebert gets the nod at this point. If they feel White is healthy enough to go from the jump, it certainly changes things up.

I'll just about guarantee that White starts the season on the PUP list... and if he's not 100% by week 6, he goes on IR. They won't cut a valuable ST's player for a guy who they aren't sure is ready to go... and I have very big doubts that they cut White. They seem high on him, and he brings an attitude to the FS position that you usually only find in SS's.

A slightly younger Dexter Jackson - semi-young washed up dude.

Maybe... but you can't deny that this is one step closer to the goal. As opposed to old washed up dudes like Dexter and Sam Adams, they are bringing in young washed up dudes like Tank and Roy.

The next step is to get a player who isn't washed up at all. Happy days will be here soon guys!

Williams

Crocker

Ndukwe

I'll just about guarantee that White starts the season on the PUP list... and if he's not 100% by week 6, he goes on IR. They won't cut a valuable ST's player for a guy who they aren't sure is ready to go... and I have very big doubts that they cut White. They seem high on him, and he brings an attitude to the FS position that you usually only find in SS's.

That's my thoughts on White as well. I was never in support of cutting him outright, only throwing him on the PUP and then IR if need be. I said earlier as well that getting rid of the others means the special teams unit takes a pretty big hit. Lynch and Hebert cover that nicely.

Got DAYYYYUM boys!!! This is awesome, when does the season start? Roy Williams are you freakin kidding me!!??! Mike Zimmer has a LOT to work with now, lets hope Roy comes in with a chip on his shoulder.

All I have to say is that you gotta hate the way Chad Ocho Cinco went about his complaints but you have to thank the guy for calling out MB and Marv. Chad said they weren't trying to get the guys in here needed to win.... Well I think MB has thought long and hard about what Chad has went public with. I'm just saying. None the less, great signing. Let's hope Zimmer can whip him back into shape.

but you have to thank the guy for calling out MB and Marv.... Well I think MB has thought long and hard about what Chad has went public with.

Agreen! Bringing the love for assistant GM Chad Johnson.

I never thought a GM would base his personnel moves on the moanings of the malcontent quitters on his squad, but with Mike at the helm you just never know.

Within the walls of PBS Chad could be considered some kind of football savant. A resource so valuable, so vital to the organization, that paying him as a player is just a subterfuge, a charade designed to keep other teams away from our gridiron mastermind.

Drop all the passes you want Chad, we need your intellect.

but you have to thank the guy for calling out MB and Marv.... Well I think MB has thought long and hard about what Chad has went public with.

Agreen! Bringing the love for assistant GM Chad Johnson.

I never thought a GM would base his personnel moves on the moanings of the malcontent quitters on his squad, but with Mike at the helm you just never know.

Within the walls of PBS Chad could be considered some kind of football savant. A resource so valuable, so vital to the organization, that paying him as a player is just a subterfuge, a charade designed to keep other teams away from our gridiron mastermind.

Drop all the passes you want Chad, we need your intellect.

Spin it how you want bro but Chad was unhappy and he said some things that I think ALL of us can relate to. MB hasn't done s**t since 2005 to make this team any better... I don't know about you Central but I'm sick and tired of losing. So is Chad. We're on the same page in my book.. Your most talented and passionate player means something to the organization. When Chad said that MB doesn't want to win, that he isn't bringing in the guys we need to win, I felt the same way. I can understand where he's coming from. I'm sure you can relate.

Yeah, he's acted like an ass but I can forgive him for that if he shows up and does his part to make this team better. I just wonder now if the Free Agent signings and the draft have proved to Chad that MB does want to win. Or is it the other way around? Is MB making up for his lack of giving a f**k after being called out by Chad?

Well I think MB has thought long and hard about what Chad has went public with. I'm just saying.

Yeah, I'm sure Mikey was sitting there in the war room thinking "what would a drama queen pain in the ass WR do here?"

No, but maybe something finally clicked. You have to agree with Chad that MB has NOT attempted (Shaun Rodgers was a lack-luster attempt) to bring in the players that we need to win until this off-season. You can't call Chad a lier about that... If Chad speaks the truth about MB, maybe Mike has finally got his head out of his ass.

Even if it wasn't Chad's comments that lit a fire under MB this year, you can't knock the guy for saying it out loud.

Well I think MB has thought long and hard about what Chad has went public with. I'm just saying.

Yeah, I'm sure Mikey was sitting there in the war room thinking "what would a drama queen pain in the ass WR do here?"

No, but maybe something finally clicked. You have to agree with Chad that MB has NOT attempted (Shaun Rodgers was a lack-luster attempt) to bring in the players that we need to win until this off-season. You can't call Chad a lier about that... If Chad speaks the truth about MB, maybe Mike has finally got his head out of his ass.

Even if it wasn't Chad's comments that lit a fire under MB this year, you can't knock the guy for saying it out loud.

Alright, this is the ROY WILLIAMS thread. How did you manage to hijack it on behalf of Fredo???

Let's get Fredo out of this discussion, or I'm going to start deleting posts.

As opposed to old washed up dudes like Dexter and Sam Adams, they are bringing in young washed up dudes like Tank and Roy.

well said. should have kept Levi Jones to make it a full set.

Neither Tank nor Roy are washed-up. They were simply bad fits for the 'boys 3-4 D. Both will have an immediate impact in Cincy.

As for the signings themselves, these aren't Mikey deals. In fact, they are the kind of signings that Brown historically hates: one-year rent-a-mercenary deals.

This offseason may be the closest I've ever seen to the Bengals going into "win now" mode.

Alright, this is the ROY WILLIAMS thread. How did you manage to hijack it on behalf of Fredo???

It's related to the Roy Williams signing... That's rediculous Greg.

It's related to the Roy Williams signing... That's rediculous Greg.

No...you arguing that your posts have any conceivable nexus to the Roy Williams signing is rediculous. Just like you thinking SoP is taking football advice from Fredo so that explains a so-far decent off season is rediculous.

Why, to you, does everything have to revolve around freakin' Fredo? He's a non-factor at this point in terms of offseason discussion.

HE didn't bring Williams here.

HE didn't get Levi cut.

HE didn't get Coles signed.

HE didn't get Rey Rey or A. Smith drafted.

He didn't...are you starting to see a trend here? We are all sick of talking about this chump. Talk about Roy freakin' Williams!!

As for the signings themselves, these aren't Mikey deals. In fact, they are the kind of signings that Brown historically hates: one-year rent-a-mercenary deals.

If you get past the rent-a-player angle nearly all of the moves made, including in the draft, look like boilerplate Mikey deals....as nearly every move made comes with more risk than many teams could stomach.

Boom or bust types? Check.

Character risks? Check and check again.

A fading player added on the chance he can turn his once stellar career around? Check.

This offseason may be the closest I've ever seen to the Bengals going into "win now" mode.

Perhaps. One of the most frustrating things about last years offseason was rooted in it's lack of clear direction, with an odd mix of "win now" moves being packaged with the type of "rebuilding" moves that all but guarantee delayed short term success. But while there's always a mix of long-term and short-term goals competing for off-season attention this years team seems to be built around the goal of immediate impact....especially on defense.

It's long overdue.

Neither Tank nor Roy are washed-up. They were simply bad fits for the 'boys 3-4 D.

I read the label on the Kool Aid. I'm not ready to drink it yet.

I suspect that there's still a lot left in the "Tank." but Williams has been the Cowboys' Levi for the past couple of years, and I'm not sure that it's a system problem. I'm not sure that he can play on third down for anyone

Neither Tank nor Roy are washed-up. They were simply bad fits for the 'boys 3-4 D.

I suspect that there's still a lot left in the "Tank." but Williams has been the Cowboys' Levi for the past couple of years, and I'm not sure that it's a system problem. I'm not sure that he can play on third down for anyone

Their Levi? He broke his arm last year, which worries me a lot less than degenerative knees/legs/whatever. Before that he'd missed one game in six years.

As to whether he can play on third down, it all depends on what they ask him to do. Put him in deep coverage and yes, he'll get torched. Fortunately, I don't think Zimmer is that stupid. Roy's job will be to roam the box and hit people.

Their Levi? He broke his arm last year, which worries me a lot less than degenerative knees/legs/whatever. Before that he'd missed one game in six years.

As to whether he can play on third down, it all depends on what they ask him to do. Put him in deep coverage and yes, he'll get torched. Fortunately, I don't think Zimmer is that stupid. Roy's job will be to roam the box and hit people.

Roy's job, plain and simple, is to wait for the Steelers to come to Cincy and then lay such a hit on Ward that it'll rattle his grandkids' teeth. Outside of that, everything else is just gravy.

You have to agree with Chad that

No, I don't have to. And I don't.

You can't call Chad a lier

I can call him a liar, and I'll even spell it right. And I do. And I did.

I'll go one step further - he's a lying pretentious diva douchebag. Ok, so that was 2 or 3 steps further. All true nonetheless.

If Chad speaks the truth

Chad hasn't been able to get anywhere near 'truth' since he signed with Rosenhaus

He lives a lie

maybe Mike has finally got his head out of his ass.

also untrue

you can't knock the guy for saying it out loud.

I can

I do

I did

ArmyBengal usually sums this up far better than I ever could.......

Let's get Fredo out of this discussion

err, uhh, I did not see this til after I posted.

Sorry.

100% agreed.....the less I see and hear of Ocho Droppo, the better.

Anybody else notice this?

"I knew him for three years and he was still the same," Hayes said. "Roy is salt of the earth and a tremendous person. He's going to come to work. He's going to establish himself. He's not a vocal guy. He'll lead by example."

How good of a person? Hayes let Williams babysit his new son and he brought 8-year-old Jackson to PBS back in March so Williams could get a load of how he's grown.

Finally the babysitter this team needs? :lol:

Roy's job, plain and simple, is to wait for the Steelers to come to Cincy and then lay such a hit on Ward that it'll rattle his grandkids' teeth. Outside of that, everything else is just gravy.

I agree, but think it's not quite as limited as that. I think his job is to cash the check that Dexter Jackson's mouth wrote the past few seasons. While I have grave doubts about Williams' abilities, I have no problem with bringing in somebody who can punch a few Ravens and Steelers in the mouth for once. I just hope he still has the wheels to get in the right position to do that for 4 games this season. And, no, I'm not really convinced that he does. If he does, and if he can make a few highlights with impact hits against our division foes who have been able to rightly call us pu**ies since David Fulcher retired I don't care if he doesn't even suit up for the other games. Incidentally, with some broadening of scope, this is something like what I'm hoping for from 58 this season as well. Within the scheme of what Zimmer is trying to do, it would be nice to have some intimidation working in our favor for a change.