Roy Williams Signed per .com

mgi

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's really no reason to keep Lynch or Hebert over White. I think White brings much more upside on special teams.

agreed. i can't see white getting shown the door because of this. Safeties (in no particular order) of white, ndukwe, crocker and williams seem pretty freaking legit to me.

How so? Hebert was the leading special teamer last year and has a much desired swagger for a special teams guy...I dunno how I feel about him getting time on the field but I love having him on ST.....Lynch marvin has praised but really havn't seen alot of him so.

I wonder if any of the back up safties ever played corner before and if they can convert to help out the CB in the dime package or anything. I still think they need a nickel corner but what about converting one of these young safties to corner. Any have good speed that could do this. Just a thought.

White is coming back form a major knee reconstruction and could see IR in his future if the team feels so inclined. Are any of you REALLY that overjoyed with what we currently have at the safety position ?? Really ?? Ok, I like Crocker, but can't really say as I would shed a tear for many of the others. Hebert was an absolute beast on special teams last year, so he probably stays. Ndukwe needs to stay healthy as well.

The way I see this is even if he only stays for a single season, I'm good with that as well, because we are taking safety on day one of the 2010 draft.

The reason I like the signing the most is the fact that he brings a presence and vet experience to the young defense and I'm not overwhelmed with our secondary.

White is coming back form a major knee reconstruction and could see IR in his future if the team feels so inclined. Are any of you REALLY that overjoyed with what we currently have at the safety position ?? Really ?? Ok, I like Crocker, but can't really say as I would shed a tear for many of the others. Hebert was an absolute beast on special teams last year, so he probably stays. Ndukwe needs to stay healthy as well.

The way I see this is even if he only stays for a single season, I'm good with that as well, because we are taking safety on day one of the 2010 draft.

The reason I like the signing the most is the fact that he brings a presence and vet experience to the young defense and I'm not overwhelmed with our secondary.

Here's the REAL reason I like this signing. A certain receiver in Pittsburgh needs a little reminder of a certain hit on one of our boys. If Rey doesn't get the job done, perhaps Roy can send the reminder. Give him an old fashioned horse collar, take a couple games off ala the Commish, let your teammates chip in on the fine, all is well.

The way I see this is even if he only stays for a single season, I'm good with that as well, because we are taking safety on day one of the 2010 draft

Should I start sporting a Mays sig now and maybe we'll be lucky and he falls to us? lol

Here's the REAL reason I like this signing. A certain receiver in Pittsburgh needs a little reminder of a certain hit on one of our boys

I can't wait I'm hoping we get a sweet shot of Roy & Rey hitting him at the same time ^_^

Kaz, please start up the Mays sig like NOW !!! He's actually one player that I would have NO issue seeing the team trade up for.

That won't happen, but you get my point. He's a beast that would make people forget almost all of the safeties we currently have on the roster.

It just baffles me that people think we can't improve upon our stellar 4-11-1 record from last year and with White's knee torn up, this can't be viewed as a bad move.

Kaz, please start up the Mays sig like NOW !!! He's actually one player that I would have NO issue seeing the team trade up for.

That won't happen, but you get my point. He's a beast that would make people forget almost all of the safeties we currently have on the roster.

It just baffles me that people think we can't improve upon our stellar 4-11-1 record from last year and with White's knee torn up, this can't be viewed as a bad move.

No doubt,the only way I feel we could have had a better offseason this year is sign Jason Brown...Well that and trade chad but hopefully he can suck it up and finally become a man...I'm really excited and looking forward to this season if we can get past the injury bug we've had for past 2-3 seasons.

Jason Brown coming in to hold down the Center position would have been a good reason for me to start talking about 11-5 with a shot at the playoffs, but one guy can't be the only reason. Roy is just another step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned and how many times have people b*tched about the team sitting on it's hands when it could be making moves to attempt to upgrade the team ??

All of this still makes you wonder where they are stashing the real SoP.

Meh...soP wants bargains, guys like Tank and Roy want short-term deals to try to cash in next March.

They are turning down more money elsewhere because it means accepting more years.

Ditto for Benson. If you believe the scuttlebutt, they actually offered him more money than he eventually got, but over more years. What broke the impasses was the Bengals' decision to scale it back to a 2-year deal.

All these guys have "uncapped year" on the brain. I think they'll be disappointed...but in the meantime the Bengals get a bunch of motivated guys for at least a year. No complaints.

The article is back up.

For those of you that just signed on , the article on the Williams was put up , then taken down.

Updated: 7:35 p.m.

Take the most feared hitter in the NFL during his prime.

Add the NFL Draft's biggest bruiser.

Put them behind a guy named "Tank," and in the last month Mike Zimmer's defense has gone from up-and-coming to up-and-at-them in the in-your-face AFC North.

On Wednesday former Cowboys safety Roy Williams joined the fold with his five Pro Bowls and one rule change spurred by his ferocious tackles. That came 10 days after USC middle linebacker Rey Maualuga arrived in the second round with his YouTube hits and All-American edge. That came three weeks after former Bear and Cowboy Tank Johnson stepped into the defensive front with his unique blend of size and speed.

Suddenly, the Bengals defense isn't such a soft sell as they look to leap from No. 12 after last year's rise from 27th in Zimmer's first season.

"We've been trying to get better in the offseason; that's what I said," Zimmer said. "We've been trying to get a lot better. We've got to add more firepower and hopefully some of the guys we’ve added will help give us a little more firepower."

Zimmer plans to pick up Williams at the airport Thursday morning and it's just as well because the reason Williams plans to sign with the Bengals is because of the defensive scheme flying in Cincinnati these days and because Zimmer is the pilot.

"He understands the situation," Zimmer said. "I told him I don't want him if he's not the guy I know that works and studies. I always felt like he could have been even better than what he was just because of the fact he had a lot of outside things pulling at him. I think now he's focused on football, so well see."

Both sides seem comfortable at finding out. Agent Jordan Woy confirmed a short-term deal with the Bengals that includes incentives, which could indicate they gave Williams a one-year deal and a manageable bonus if it doesn't work and enticing enough escalators for him if it does.

Zimmer believes Williams can be that guy that went to four Pro Bowls while Zimmer coordinated the Dallas defense. He thinks Williams needs to lose some more weight (he's dropped some since his March workout for them), but Zimmer says he's a great locker-room guy and "I think I know how to use him a little bit."

Indeed, in his five seasons under Zimmer, Williams not only averaged 90-plus tackles, but he also had 17 interceptions.

But Zimmer wouldn't say Williams is a starter.

"I wouldn't assume anything yet," he said. "If he's the best, he'll play. He used to be the best of anybody."

Woy wouldn't comment on terms, but said, "It's a short-term deal with incentives so both sides can get their feet wet with the situation and we'll go from there.

"There were a couple of teams offering considerable more money, but Roy liked the fit in Cincinnati. It's a good fit for both sides really. Roy obviously has a great relationship with (defensive coordinator) Mike Zimmer and he's excelled in that defense and the Bengals are happy to get a guy like that for their defense."

The Bengals don't confirm deals until they're signed, but it's believed Williams is to sign the deal Thursday at Paul Brown Stadium, followed most likely by a news conference.

Williams, once the most feared hitter in the NFL after the Cowboys made him the eighth pick in the 2002 draft, got a call even from the NFL Competition Committee a few years back with the Roy Williams Rule that outlaws the horse collar tackle.

Williams, who turns 29 in August, played only three games this past year after he fractured his right forearm twice. It was the first year he's missed games because of injury. With a change to a 3-4 and Zimmer's departure after the '06 season, Williams' effectiveness appeared to wane in Dallas. But the thinking is the reunion with Zimmer will highlight the best parts of his game.

"He was (a two-way safety) for me," said Zimmer back in March about Williams' ability to cover as well as play run defense.

Asked if it looked like Williams could still do that after watching him, Zimmer said, "Yes. He's out of shape like everybody this time of year, but he looked good."

On Wednesday, Zimmer made it clear he would be using Williams how he used him in Dallas and that means all over the line of scrimmage and on blitzes in a healthy dose of his eight-man fronts with safeties like Williams, Chinedum Ndukwe and Chris Crocker roaming the box.

"When the 3-4 came, we didn't use eight-man fronts quite as much so he wasn't in the box as much, which is one of his big strengths," Zimmer said of the Dallas situation. "We have some drop-down guys (in the box) and he does it well. He's always been a good blitzer. He's been a big playmaker over the years. He's intercepted a lot of balls; he's made a lot of big hits. When we had him, he could do anything we wanted him to do. The guy was one of the best safeties of all time. But time catches up with all of us and we'll see what he can do.

"That's the guy I want. The Roy Williams I had. If we can get that back, we've got a guy."

Despite the extra weight, Williams looked quick to Zimmer's eye back in March and he's confident the guy hasn't changed his work habits and approach and he feels his dedication is going to get him back to a high level.

Bengals tight ends coach Jon Hayes checked in on his old friend at the March workout and didn't see a guy much different than the All-American he saw at Oklahoma when he was on the Sooners staff.

"I knew him for three years and he was still the same," Hayes said. "Roy is salt of the earth and a tremendous person. He's going to come to work. He's going to establish himself. He's not a vocal guy. He'll lead by example."

How good of a person? Hayes let Williams babysit his new son and he brought 8-year-old Jackson to PBS back in March so Williams could get a load of how he's grown.

"Personally I'm looking forward to having him here," Hayes said, "and I think he feels like he's got something to prove. I'm sure he wants to show people he's got something left."

Williams becomes the seventh safety on a roster that usually keeps five at the most and usually four. Williams, Crocker and Ndukwe join Corey Lynch, special-teams ace Kyries Hebert, rehabbing Marvin White, and free-agent rookie Tom Nelson. Crocker, White and Lynch are guys who have also done a great deal of coverage.

I have a friend that is a big Cowgirls fan and he hates Williams, he says he is good against the run and sucks in pass coverage.

We will see, be should be a nice addition,especially against the run.

With this draft and picking up free agents it almost scares me, I am wondering if they got bad news on Carson's health, it almost seems like they are making a playoff run.

Maybe Marvin has taken (or demanded) more control.

The important question with the signing of Roy L. Williams is whether his addition upgrades the talent on the roster at the safety position. I was already content with the safeties we had, but i have to say that i am more content now. For little risk, we will soon find out how much gas is left in Roy's tank. And what a tank it is. I believe this is a well thought out decision and applaud the Bengals for continuing to try and upgrade the roster. It will certainly ratchet up the competition among the safeties. Moreover, I wouldn't automatically assume this means that we will have to discard a valuable young player to accomodate Williams. That's too pessimistic. I certainly wouldn't want to lose Corey Lynch,the most underrated of our young safeties. Anyway, a lot can happen between now and September. In the meantime, I prefer to think about the potential upside to this acquisition.

2005 Cowboys 77 65 12 3 0.0 3 3

His last year with Zimmer. If we get 3 sacks, 3 Ints, and 3 FF out of him I will be more than happy with this signing. Who cares about a fifth string Safety, they are a dime a dozen.

We will still have Crocker, Chinny, and White

Well I see the team carrying 5 safetys myself...I'd say white get's placed on pup at first and then they'll decide how much they like lynch...

PS,Though in the end were getting Mays!!!!!!!!!! ^_^

If our current centers don't work out I could see us taking the number one Center available next year. I think next year we go RB or C in round 1 and then get an OG in round 2. We also will draft a CB on day one and I see a safety in round 4 or 5

Well depending how players work out this year but I think round one will be alot more open this year....

But I think we'll be pretty open to how we can go in the first but Guard & RB seem very likely atm.....unless Mays is there then you can't say NO :o Bengals Defense home of the USC Defenders.