Roy Williams Signed per .com

mgi

DT

S

RB

WR

OLB

Yup sounds about right though I'd throw in guard unless Livings is the future at RG.

Agree that both the o-line and d-line should have some depth added. That's only 5 spots, so there's room to move and maybe TJ can give an update for what we may be looking at for comp picks next year ??

Disregard TJ, I will start a new thread for those more interested in draft related issues for next season.

Well just quick something from what my understanding is we can't get more then a 5th for TJ because he's over 30 years old (happened to the steelers)....But we did sign Coles who is also over thirty so hopefully they cancel each other out and we get a 3rd for stacey...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just watched roy's press conference. he seems hungry, it was great to hear him say he wanted to get here asap. he got off the plane went to the facility and worked out before the press conference. that is leadership. along those same lines i wonder if this signals an increased likelyhood that rey starts in the middle. roy has been brought in a veteran of the defense we run possibly to take over making the calls in dhani's absence and just until rey wraps his head around the ins and outs

i must add that our defense, lacking identity since the swat team, seems to have copped a pretty nasty one with the addition of rey and roy. crocker can hit, rivers is all over the place, and tank might just shoot you. finally we have a demeanor that rivals those of our division opponents.

if you haven't watched the presser check it out. i'm a pretty even keeled guy but man that got me jacked.

just watched roy's press conference. he seems hungry, it was great to hear him say he wanted to get here asap. he got off the plane went to the facility and worked out before the press conference. that is leadership. along those same lines i wonder if this signals an increased likelyhood that rey starts in the middle. roy has been brought in a veteran of the defense we run possibly to take over making the calls in dhani's absence and just until rey wraps his head around the ins and outs

Ya I enjoyed the press conference seemed like wants to start hitting people asap...I can't wait for Sept 27th ^_^

Yep enjoyed the press confrense myself i liked that he said he dosnt want anything handed to him, he wants to win the roster spot and win the starting role, thats the kind of player this team needs. I to want Rey to be the middle linebacker, but wouldnt mind Dhani out there also he brings leadership himself. I will be anixous to see how this all plays out in the end, i have never been this excited about the defense since Takeo, and Simmons were drafted.

Instead of signing them to longer term deals and using the draft to build at other positions, these are going to be positions that need to be addressed in the draft next season.

You're assuming that the one-year deals are of the Bengals' choice. I don't think that's the case.

These guys are turning down more money elsewhere because it means more years. They'd rather take the one-year deal in hopes of scoring big in a potentially uncapped 2010.

Agreed. And I was open about saying I was nitpicking. So you don't have to convince me. My gripe isn't necessarily with the Bengals as much as it is that I don't view this a a best case scenario. I am not an advocate of running the team like it's a game of Madden. If I was, I would have said the Bengals needed to pay Albert Haynesworth whatever he wanted and found away to trade Chad and draft picks for Nick Mangold and Ed Reed. My point is that this is a strange mix of a win now attitude when the Bengals are clearly in a rebuilding situation.

What I find different -- and encouraging -- about this year is that, in years past, the Bengals wouldn't have done that, for exactly the reason you cite: it means the process starts all over next March. Instead, we would have gotten some lesser players signed to multi-year bargain-bin contracts later this summer after teams start trimming rosters.

This year, the Bengals are signing those better-quality players, even though it's a short-term rental. And that's pure win-now.

Again I agree. We've seen the Bengals refuse to meet player demands for a couple of decades, and thus get nothing of real value... so it's a welcome change. Too bad we didn't see this in '06, eh?

But this is '09 now, and the Bengals simply aren't a player or two away. So all I'm saying is that it's a bit disappointing that these weren't 2 or 3 year deals. This is certainly better than bringing in guys like Sam Adams... but when it comes down to it, but the time Maualuga, A. Smith, and Michael Johnson are contributing in a way we hope they someday will, Roy Williams, Tank Johnson, and likely Cedric Benson will be gone... and the Bengals will be once again relying on rookies to pick up the slack.

The alternative of course is again signing low quality stop-gaps, or doing nothing and watching the Bengals continue to sit in mediocrity. So, no problem with these moves. Just pointing out that rather than saying "in 2011 they could be poised for a Super Bowl!" I'm left to say, "I wonder who will be filling these positions of need in 2011?"

One final thought: just because the deals are short-term doesn't mean Tank and Roy are gone next season. Both are what they are: a pure 4-3 DT and a throwback SS. Neither position is in heavy demand in the NFL these days. All the coaches are like Marvin: they want two-way safeties who can do it all, and linemen who can play inside and out, and flop from a 4-3 to a 3-4 on demand, etc. So even if they reach their uncapped nirvana next season, I'm not sure they're going to cash in, even if they do well in '09. And Army's observation about the strength of next year's draft at DT and S only strengthens my suspicions about their (lack of) FA value.

I agree in theory... but if I had to guess, they will either play up to their level of talent and then move on to the highest bidder (not the Bengals) or they won't be all that impressive, and the Bengals will have another shot at a one year deal with them... with a relatively low payoff. Either way, this is a move for 2009 only, a year that I don't think the Bengals are in a position to do any real damage.

You must look no further than the Cedrick Benson deal to see this. Benson was happy to play elsewhere, but he resume was not quite impressive enough to warrant a starting job and get the payday he thought he deserved. So, with his head hung, he returned to the Bengals knowing he would at least have his chance at that big contract down the road if he is able to perform to his skill level.

What does that get the Bengals past '09? Not much.

It is what it is. I'm glad they are making these deals. They really do seem to be trying to make this a team worth watching. They are making all the moves we've been posting about here over the last 5 months. The moves that we all complain they never make. It's amazing to see actually. So maybe I'm just being a whiny bitch. It wouldn't be the first time. But all I'm really trying to point out is that while these moves are exciting, they are far from the long term solution the Bengals were probably hoping to get while smack dab in the middle of rebuild mode.

But this is '09 now, and the Bengals simply aren't a player or two away.

I think is the key point where we disagree.

Tell me, if the Bengals had a healthy LT and even an average NFL center last season, what's their record?

No, they aren't winning the Super Bowl but I think they do better than 4 wins.

I just don't see this giant rebuilding project. Certainly, the D doesn't need a giant makeover. Heck, we're trying to figure out how to get Maualuga and M. Johnson onto the field.

On offense they bring back the same starting RB, a starting QB back from injury, and two of the three same top wideouts.

Even the o-line looks to return three of five guys who started in '08. And as of this point, a fourth guy, Cook, who's been in-house for a couple seasons.

So take a shot. You don't lose anything with Tank and Roy even if they leave, we have guys at those positions in development.

Took the Steelers two years to get Timmons on the field as a starter. So what if it takes two years for Shirley?

No strange mix. It's all win now. And it's the right move.

But this is '09 now, and the Bengals simply aren't a player or two away.

I think is the key point where we disagree.

Tell me, if the Bengals had a healthy LT and even an average NFL center last season, what's their record?

No, they aren't winning the Super Bowl but I think they do better than 4 wins.

I just don't see this giant rebuilding project. Certainly, the D doesn't need a giant makeover. Heck, we're trying to figure out how to get Maualuga and M. Johnson onto the field.

On offense they bring back the same starting RB, a starting QB back from injury, and two of the three same top wideouts.

Even the o-line looks to return three of five guys who started in '08. And as of this point, a fourth guy, Cook, who's been in-house for a couple seasons.

So take a shot. You don't lose anything with Tank and Roy even if they leave, we have guys at those positions in development.

Took the Steelers two years to get Timmons on the field as a starter. So what if it takes two years for Shirley?

No strange mix. It's all win now. And it's the right move.

Fair enough. Palmer coming back from injury is a huge deal. If he was healthy I'll bet they were a 6 or 7 win team last year...

The problem in my mind remains with the O-line. Will it be better than last year's? Well... it can't get much worse, right? But even if Cook/Luigs come in and end up being a huge improvement at Center, I'm just not sure that Collins with 6 career starts and A. Smith as as a rookie are enough to give Palmer the time he needs to get the ball downfield. And that's the real issue with the offense, isn't it?

I mean, seriously. If Palmer is healthy and has time to throw, it goes from the worst Offense in the NFL to what... a top 10? Certainly not out of the realm of possibility. But therein lies the problem. If the O-line for whatever reason isn't quite as improved as we hope, does anything of significance change?

That's an awfully big question mark for me though. Some have a ton of confidence in the O-Line. Others have none. The majority of us think it's improved, but it is unknown by how much. And the amount it is improved is the Bengals ceiling for '09 in my opinion.

As for the defense... the biggest problem has always been the pass rush. It remains to be seen if the moves they've made fix it. Time will tell. The Bengals could make a huge move toward the playoffs in '09, repeat a disappointing '08, or anything in between. A lot of questions out there still need to be answered.

But most of can agree that the offseason has been exciting enough that we'll be paying close attention. And that's a lot more than I was saying this time last year.

Ya I know...But then again I never thought we'd get Maualuga last year ^_^

Though if we can get that Roy williams I wouldn't mind heeping him around for awhile

Reminds me of David Fulcher.

<Head bowed in reverence>

He's a great guy. Back when he managed Cardboard Heroes in Cincy, I'd take my boy there all the time (he was four at the time). Fulcher fussed over him, knew his name. I even have a picture of Fulcher giving my son an autographed Fulcher throwback jersey (that I had bought but my son didn't know that) for his fifth birthday.

And the man could freakin' hit!!

The problem in my mind remains with the O-line. Will it be better than last year's? Well... it can't get much worse, right? But even if Cook/Luigs come in and end up being a huge improvement at Center, I'm just not sure that Collins with 6 career starts and A. Smith as as a rookie are enough to give Palmer the time he needs to get the ball downfield. And that's the real issue with the offense, isn't it?

I'm with you on the o-line, but I think the big question is whether they can open some holes for Benson (which is why my heart leaned toward Smith at six even as my head said Monroe). Carson's best friend is a solid run game. And that's also why I've been on the "get a FB" bandwagon.

Cook I admit I'm taking on faith, but I can't see him underperforming Bluto. Collins enjoys my complete confidence, at either tackle spot. To me, the key is going to be getting Smith into camp on time, picking a slot for everyone, and starting the soon-to-be-much-ballyhooed "gelling" process. That's about the one chance left for the front office to botch the offseason: getting into another holdout predicated on escalator targets and penny-ante guarantees.

Ya I know...But then again I never thought we'd get Maualuga last year ^_^

Though if we can get that Roy williams I wouldn't mind heeping him around for awhile

Reminds me of David Fulcher.

<Head bowed in reverence>

He's a great guy. Back when he managed Cardboard Heroes in Cincy, I'd take my boy there all the time (he was four at the time). Fulcher fussed over him, knew his name. I even have a picture of Fulcher giving my son an autographed Fulcher throwback jersey (that I had bought but my son didn't know that) for his fifth birthday.

And the man could freakin' hit!!

The best hitter Cincinnati ever had in the defensive backfield.

I'm with you on the o-line, but I think the big question is whether they can open some holes for Benson (which is why my heart leaned toward Smith at six even as my head said Monroe). Carson's best friend is a solid run game. And that's also why I've been on the "get a FB" bandwagon.

Cook I admit I'm taking on faith, but I can't see him underperforming Bluto. Collins enjoys my complete confidence, at either tackle spot. To me, the key is going to be getting Smith into camp on time, picking a slot for everyone, and starting the soon-to-be-much-ballyhooed "gelling" process. That's about the one chance left for the front office to botch the offseason: getting into another holdout predicated on escalator targets and penny-ante guarantees.

There will be growing pains along the OL, which it appears the Reggie Kelly haters seem to forget. Ryan Clady had as rare a seaon as as a rookie LT has ever had. Next to QB and WR, the biggest jump from college to the NFL is at LT. I'd like to see Collins stay there at LT and put Smith on the right side, where he can use his enormous run-block ability to it's fullest. One interesting note I read elsewhere, is that Benson likes to bounce right when he runs (which I would happen to agree with, in the Bengals sampling of his scouting report), so that allows us to maximize his potential, while keeping Collins in the spot he played in almost exclusively last season.

The Bengals have to think the 3 C's on the roster (minus the rookie) are at least as good as Ghiachic, right? Otherwise, they would've offered him in free agency if they felt he was starter or 1st backup quality, IMO.

I agree with Hobson in thinking that Roy will finally be the Bengals answer to Troy and Ed Reed. We haven't had a truly feared S since Daryl Williams in his youth at worst, and David Fulcher in his prime, at best.

I'd like to see Collins stay there at LT and put Smith on the right side, where he can use his enormous run-block ability to it's fullest.

That's my preference as well. Minimize disruptions. A Collins-Whit-Cook (or whoever)-Bobbie-Smith line should mesh quickest, and (I agree) give the fastest boost to the run game.

There will be growing pains along the OL, which it appears the Reggie Kelly haters seem to forget. Ryan Clady had as rare a seaon as as a rookie LT has ever had. Next to QB and WR, the biggest jump from college to the NFL is at LT. I'd like to see Collins stay there at LT and put Smith on the right side, where he can use his enormous run-block ability to it's fullest. One interesting note I read elsewhere, is that Benson likes to bounce right when he runs (which I would happen to agree with, in the Bengals sampling of his scouting report), so that allows us to maximize his potential, while keeping Collins in the spot he played in almost exclusively last season.

The Bengals have to think the 3 C's on the roster (minus the rookie) are at least as good as Ghiachic, right? Otherwise, they would've offered him in free agency if they felt he was starter or 1st backup quality, IMO.

I agree with Hobson in thinking that Roy will finally be the Bengals answer to Troy and Ed Reed. We haven't had a truly feared S since Daryl Williams in his youth at worst, and David Fulcher in his prime, at best.

Ryan Clady? Yea, he was great but two more names pop off at me from RECENT history to show you that the transition can be made...Jake Long and Joe Thomas

If Collins can play LT put him their, but I say we drafted Smith to be our franchise LT. It is easier to play RT in the league than left and their is a reason Collins was a second round talent and Smith was a top 3 talent, he is better. I love Collins and what he did last season, but he needs to cement the right side against teams number 2 DE's and let our number six pick slide into where we want him. It isn't like a QB where you have to slide a person in...Put the fat ass out their and tell him to beat down everything that moves

Ryan Clady? Yea, he was great but two more names pop off at me from RECENT history to show you that the transition can be made...Jake Long and Joe Thomas

If Collins can play LT put him their, but I say we drafted Smith to be our franchise LT. It is easier to play RT in the league than left and their is a reason Collins was a second round talent and Smith was a top 3 talent, he is better. I love Collins and what he did last season, but he needs to cement the right side against teams number 2 DE's and let our number six pick slide into where we want him. It isn't like a QB where you have to slide a person in...Put the fat ass out their and tell him to beat down everything that moves

It's more complicated than that. If the Bengals are in win-now mode, it probably makes the most sense to put A Smith at RT for a couple of reasons. Collins has at least a few games NFL experience on that island - and while LT is the more important position for protecting Palmer's blindside against a pass rush, the RT position is more important when it comes to the running game - and that is the skill that A Smith is uniquely suited to do better than any other player on the roster. He's NFL ready to do that task if the season started today... and that's saying something.

If he ends up as the LT, it will be because he won the job outright, and I'll be fine with it. But if not, I don't see that it has any real impact on his future as a LT, and probably also gives the Bengals the best chance for competing immediately in the event that A Smith misses any time with a hold-out (something we've all come to expect... but this has been a wacky bizarro offseason for the Bengals).

I just don't see this giant rebuilding project.

Damn, I was sitting there reading and agreeing and then that line just jumped out.

I can't speak for Shank but I'm guessing Derek and I aren't scratching our heads over what we've seen this offseason, but rather....what we watched last year and to a lesser degree the year prior.

No disrespect intended, but last year when there was plenty of "why not us" talk being tossed around yet all I could see was a rebuilding team that oddly enough wasn't fully committed to rebuilding. For example, who gives a 2 million dollar roster bonus to a fading RT whose release was already being discussed? And if someone thinks the bengals were actually in "win now" mode last year then how do you justify the selections of Simpson, Caldwell, Sherry, Urrutia, etc? Even under better circumstances none of those guys were going to play very much....dictating the Bengals get very little immediate return from any of their draft picks. That hardly smacks of "win now" does it?

Now fast forward to this offseason. While I still see a team in rebuilding mode the direction of the team seems far more focused, and as a result the greater depth across the roster should result in a team capable of winning games even if their paper team never actually makes it to the playing field intact. Which they never do. That said, this years team has given itself real options should a starter falter or a young player fails to step up as planned. Best, while several of the rookies will be counted on as future starters most can contribute immediately by playing defined secondary roles. They'll get immediate return from most of their top picks, and have far fewer roster spots taken up by players who never see the field.

So I agree the rebuilding project no longer seems as big as it once did, but that's largely due to the fact that we've been rebuilding for longer than most would acknowledge. Furthermore, if there truly is anything strange about the past mix of short and long term goals I'd say it's based upon the reluctance of the Bengals to fully commit to the rebuilding project sooner. Instead, they attempted to prop up the broken 2005 team for longer than they should and as a result kept putting a team on the field that was only capable of winning under near perfect conditions.

I just don't see this giant rebuilding project.

Damn, I was sitting there reading and agreeing and then that line just jumped out.

I can't speak for Shank but I'm guessing Derek and I aren't scratching our heads over what we've seen this offseason, but rather....what we watched last year and to a lesser degree the year prior.

No disrespect intended, but last year when there was plenty of "why not us" talk being tossed around yet all I could see was a rebuilding team that oddly enough wasn't fully committed to rebuilding. For example, who gives a 2 million dollar roster bonus to a fading RT whose release was already being discussed? And if someone thinks the bengals were actually in "win now" mode last year then how do you justify the selections of Simpson, Caldwell, Sherry, Urrutia, etc? Even under better circumstances none of those guys were going to play very much....dictating the Bengals get very little immediate return from any of their draft picks. That hardly smacks of "win now" does it?

Now fast forward to this offseason. While I still see a team in rebuilding mode the direction of the team seems far more focused, and as a result the greater depth across the roster should result in a team capable of winning games even if their paper team never actually makes it to the playing field intact. Which they never do. That said, this years team has given itself real options should a starter falter or a young player fails to step up as planned. Best, while several of the rookies will be counted on as future starters most can contribute immediately by playing defined secondary roles. They'll get immediate return from most of their top picks, and have far fewer roster spots taken up by players who never see the field.

So I agree the rebuilding project no longer seems as big as it once did, but that's largely due to the fact that we've been rebuilding for longer than most would acknowledge. Furthermore, if there truly is anything strange about the past mix of short and long term goals I'd say it's based upon the reluctance of the Bengals to fully commit to the rebuilding project sooner. Instead, they attempted to prop up the broken 2005 team for longer than they should and as a result kept putting a team on the field that was only capable of winning under near perfect conditions.

Great post Hair...

You sure you're not a troll ?? :lol:

So I agree the rebuilding project no longer seems as big as it once did, but that's largely due to the fact that we've been rebuilding for longer than most would acknowledge.

Yes, precisely, which is why I don't see a mix of win now and rebuild this year. They are finally in a position to go full-on win now.

Furthermore, if there truly is anything strange about the past mix of short and long term goals I'd say it's based upon the reluctance of the Bengals to fully commit to the rebuilding project sooner. Instead, they attempted to prop up the broken 2005 team for longer than they should and as a result kept putting a team on the field that was only capable of winning under near perfect conditions.

Also true. But I'm not sure how much choice they really had until this year, given the cap cost of cutting the cord on the combined $65 million they gave Levi and Willie early. That's like not one but two first-rounders going bust simultaneously, and it just anchored them for a couple of years.

So I agree the rebuilding project no longer seems as big as it once did, but that's largely due to the fact that we've been rebuilding for longer than most would acknowledge.

Yes, precisely, which is why I don't see a mix of win now and rebuild this year. They are finally in a position to go full-on win now.

Furthermore, if there truly is anything strange about the past mix of short and long term goals I'd say it's based upon the reluctance of the Bengals to fully commit to the rebuilding project sooner. Instead, they attempted to prop up the broken 2005 team for longer than they should and as a result kept putting a team on the field that was only capable of winning under near perfect conditions.

Also true. But I'm not sure how much choice they really had until this year, given the cap cost of cutting the cord on the combined $65 million they gave Levi and Willie early. That's like not one but two first-rounders going bust simultaneously, and it just anchored them for a couple of years.

Alright... what's going on here? Hair and Hoosier finding all sorts of things to agree about? And this isn't the only thread where this is happening!

I'm so disillusioned.

"So I agree the rebuilding project no longer seems as big as it once did, but that's largely due to the fact that we've been rebuilding for longer than most would acknowledge. Furthermore, if there truly is anything strange about the past mix of short and long term goals I'd say it's based upon the reluctance of the Bengals to fully commit to the rebuilding project sooner. Instead, they attempted to prop up the broken 2005 team for longer than they should and as a result kept putting a team on the field that was only capable of winning under near perfect conditions." - Genius -

Hair, I have to say that was one of the best, well reasoned posts I have ever read and you are 100% right about the Bengals brass being stuck in the 2005 team mode for far too long.

Alright... what's going on here? Hair and Hoosier finding all sorts of things to agree about? And this isn't the only thread where this is happening!

I've always put it this way.

There isn't a poster alive that I agree with more than Hoosier. Nor is there a poster alive that I disagree with more than Hoosier. And no, that's not as crazy as it first sounds. It's simply a result of us both being a couple of blowhards who have opinions about everything Bengal related. Thus, more opportunities for everything, including rancor....which is all anyone remembers. The numerous times where we agree are quickly forgotten.

"On any given day only one house out of a million will burn to the ground. However, a house that isn't burning down isn't news."

Williams set to make comeback with Bengals

Posted: May 10th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Cincinnati Bengals, Roy Williams, Solomon Wilcots

Roy Williams speaks at a press conference at Paul Brown Stadium. Williams recently signed with the Cincinnati Bengals. (Al Behrman / Associated Press)

The best story in all of sports is the athlete who rises to stardom, then falls, only to rise again.

When the Bengals signed five-time Pro Bowl safety Roy Williams last week, he received his chance for redemption and the opportunity to once again become a dominate NFL defender.

“When we talked, I wanted to know if he wanted to be the Roy of the past,” said Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, who coached Williams during his first five seasons with the Cowboys. “I believe he can be like Rocky.

“When he first came in to play for us in Dallas, I was amazed how he could cover the slot wide receiver. Then, as we moved to the 3-4 defense, we began to play less eight-man fronts and more two-deep zones, which forced Roy to play more coverage.”

Williams spent most of his five Pro Bowl seasons in Dallas playing close to the line of scrimmage in a 4-3 defense, the same primary alignment now used by Zimmer in Cincinnati.

“He has always been an enforcer who can knock the ball loose,” Zimmer said of Williams. “We now would like to play him at free safety to the one receiver side because when he has depth, he knocks runners backwards and makes wide receivers look before catching the ball.”

Cincinnati hasn’t fielded a lethal defender in its secondary since All-Pro strong safety David Fulcher was on the roster. Williams’ reputation for horse-collar tackles and physical play might be the one thing the Bengals need to give their defense some real teeth.

Baltimore has Ed Reed. Pittsburgh has Troy Polamalu and now Cincinnati has Roy Williams. Defense defines the AFC North, and Williams has been given an invitation to join the party. He earned a one-way ticket to become the centerpiece of a defense badly in need of a physical identity. If Roy can pull it off, he will have completed his resurrection and written one of the best comeback stories in recent memory.

– Solomon Wilcots

Does this means that the Bengals will put Roy and Nduke on the field at the same time!?!?

Or does this means that Roy is much better in coverage that he's given credit fot?

Quite possibly, in saying that he'll play him at FS on the one-receiver side of the field, the Bengals reverse their FS and SS alignments, with the FS closer to the line of scrimmage.

Or could this all be to confuse offenses in wondering what type of alignment the defense will be in, which will further demonstrate Zimmer's qualities as a DC in playing the "chess game" this far in advance of the season, if this scenario is true.

How about a Dime-package scenario, where Crocker is the Dime CB, that can effectively come on the blitz. After all, he was drafted as a CB from Marshall.

In any scenario, Roy, Crocker and Nduke should be fun to watch at S.

Either White, Hebert or Lynch will not end the season playing for the Bengals.

This is going to be a major battle at S, with a quality player (or two) not making the team.

“He has always been an enforcer who can knock the ball loose,” Zimmer said of Williams. “We now would like to play him at free safety to the one receiver side because when he has depth, he knocks runners backwards and makes wide receivers look before catching the ball.”

Cincinnati hasn’t fielded a lethal defender in its secondary since All-Pro strong safety David Fulcher was on the roster. Williams’ reputation for horse-collar tackles and physical play might be the one thing the Bengals need to give their defense some real teeth.

Baltimore has Ed Reed. Pittsburgh has Troy Polamalu and now Cincinnati has Roy Williams. Defense defines the AFC North, and Williams has been given an invitation to join the party. He earned a one-way ticket to become the centerpiece of a defense badly in need of a physical identity. If Roy can pull it off, he will have completed his resurrection and written one of the best comeback stories in recent memory.

This is exactly why I said:

"True but he would just add something to the defense that the Bengals are missing.. We're starting to get it (attitude) but sign a guy like R. Williams and he will raise the bar tremendously."

I love this signing more and more everyday. My money is on R. Williams making a big impact.