Rod Hood is visiting

Rod Hood To Visit The Bengals

Posted by Mike Florio on May 6, 2009, 12:56 p.m.

Veteran cornerback Rod Hood, cut recently by the Cardinals, has commenced the process of looking for a new team.

Per a league source, Hood will soon be visiting the Bengals.

Hood also is drawing interest from a couple of other teams.

Hood, 27, has spent the last two seasons with the Cardinals after playing four years in Philly. He started 16 regular-season games in 2007 and 14 in 2008.

This would be an excellent signing, why I still really want Roy Williams, this would be the best, smartest signing for us. We would have 3 starting caliber CB's. Rod Hood is really good I didn't know he got released, y would the Cardinals release him? I thought he started along with Rodgers-Cromartie? If we signed him this would continue our excellent off-season. CB is the only position that has me worried if we do nothing, it is the only position not addressed in the draft.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rod Hood To Visit The Bengals

Posted by Mike Florio on May 6, 2009, 12:56 p.m.

Veteran cornerback Rod Hood, cut recently by the Cardinals, has commenced the process of looking for a new team.

Per a league source, Hood will soon be visiting the Bengals.

Hood also is drawing interest from a couple of other teams.

Hood, 27, has spent the last two seasons with the Cardinals after playing four years in Philly. He started 16 regular-season games in 2007 and 14 in 2008.

This would be an excellent signing, why I still really want Roy Williams, this would be the best, smartest signing for us. We would have 3 starting caliber CB's. Rod Hood is really good I didn't know he got released, y would the Cardinals release him? I thought he started along with Rodgers-Cromartie? If we signed him this would continue our excellent off-season. CB is the only position that has me worried if we do nothing, it is the only position not addressed in the draft.

I would welcome the signing of Rod Hood maybe him getting cut serves notice that he can't live off what he did the previous year, I'm not too fond of Jones going into training camp as our third cornerback I like the guy but he does not look like he can make a play on the ball to come up with an interception.

I'd rather have Dre' Bly. At least I've seen him cover and make plays before. Not sure Rod Hood is anything better than David Jones, and that's not really something I'm looking for.

Come on man, you really don't think Hood is any better than David Jones? Don't get me wrong, I respect Jones for working his way into the field as a small school guy, but Hood immeadiately upgrades the nickel back spot.

I'd rather have Dre' Bly. At least I've seen him cover and make plays before. Not sure Rod Hood is anything better than David Jones, and that's not really something I'm looking for.

Come on man, you really don't think Hood is any better than David Jones? Don't get me wrong, I respect Jones for working his way into the field as a small school guy, but Hood immeadiately upgrades the nickel back spot.

That's my point exactly!! After Leon Hall, and Johnathan Joseph, probably the only decent guy we have is Jamar Fletcher. I'm not even sure he's still with the team, but after our starters, there's nothing on the roster that makes me happy. And I don't see anything in Rod Hood's career so far, that makes me think he's an upgrade. At least Dre' Bly is proven. He may not have the deep speed to stay outside, but with our safeties and linebackers, having him play the slot, would give him ( a natural ball hawk ) ample opportunities to get picks.

Oh brother. A single announcement that Hood is going to visit the Bengals and the inevitable riposte from a stalwart Bengals fan whinging about how he likes some other player better. No, YOU are the pride of Bengaldom!

To me it isn't a question of whether Dre Bly is more proven player than Hood. It's a question of fit, and finding the best player willing to settle for a contract that reflects a non-starting position.

Frankly, after reading how Hood started 30 games over the last 2 seasons I've got my doubts about his willingness to accept a pay cut and the loss of status that comes with it, but since his visit has been confirmed I have to assume there is some interest on both sides.

Bottom Line: Dre's not here and isn't likely to come if invited so I'll happily accept Hood if it means I have to rely less on David Jones.

Frankly, after reading how Hood started 30 games over the last 2 seasons I've got my doubts about his willingness to accept a pay cut and the loss of status that comes with it, but since his visit has been confirmed I have to assume there is some interest on both sides.

Well, he may not be getting an offer to go be a starter. If you're him, why not sign with an up-and-coming defense whose starting corners, let's be honest, aren't exactly all-pro? To date, JJoe hasn't lived up to his potential, and he's had injury trouble. I haven't been sold on Leon Hall at all. To be fair, a whole lot of the blame lies with the front 4, who have left the CBs covering way too long. But still - if you're Hood, are you afraid to be compared to the lesser of Leon Hall or Jonathon Joseph? I might take a shot at that if I'm a CB. Maybe I can win a starting job.

Bottom Line: Dre's not here and isn't likely to come if invited so I'll happily accept Hood if it means I have to rely less on David Jones.

Christ, that's the truth. Let's just say David Jones should be sent to his locker in both the literal and figurative sense.

Oh brother. A single announcement that Hood is going to visit the Bengals and the inevitable riposte from a stalwart Bengals fan whinging about how he likes some other player better. No, YOU are the pride of Bengaldom!

No, you got that burgerking crown all nice and shiny..........You keep it.

To me it isn't a question of whether Dre Bly is more proven player than Hood. It's a question of fit, and finding the best player willing to settle for a contract that reflects a non-starting position.

I agree. good post...

Dre Bly is 31 going on 32 years old (32 later this month) Rod Hood won't turn 28 until October, that is a better than four years spread. One guy is in the prime of his career, one is well past it. Rod Hood has played on 4 division champion teams in the past 6 years and played in every game except 7 in that time. He has had 35 passes defensed in the last two seasons which would immediately make our defense better, he has only started significant numbers of games for the Cardinals previously he has played predominently nickleback and played it VERY well.

I'm not so sure if we bring in a FA CB that it will be for the nickel.. I think Marv and Zimmer will bring in someone who can compete for a starting position. Joseph is suspect and we all know he's had a hard time staying healthy. Why not bring in a "starter" and tell him to earn a starting spot. Compitition is good. Before the season starts, no position is set in stone, the best guy plays.

Bring in Hood, Bly or McAlister and let them compete with Hall and Joseph.

Christ, that's the truth. Let's just say David Jones should be sent to his locker in both the literal and figurative sense.

Nobody else is going to recognize this? Pearls before swine -- nice turn of phrase, DC!

I'm not so sure if we bring in a FA CB that it will be for the nickel.. I think Marv and Zimmer will bring in someone who can compete for a starting position. Joseph is suspect and we all know he's had a hard time staying healthy. Why not bring in a "starter" and tell him to earn a starting spot. Compitition is good. Before the season starts, no position is set in stone, the best guy plays.

You'll get no argument from me on any of those points. That said, we can argue until our fingers bleed about which veteran CB might be the better overall player but I'm guessing it will come down to which player is best AND willing to settle for the type of contract a non-starter can command. And no, I don't think Hood will be offered a starters contract even if the Bengals have lost faith in Joseph.

As odd as this may sound I want an upgrade at the 3rd CB slot far more than I wanted Roy Williams in stripes, and he's a 5-time Pro Bowl player.

You'll get no argument from me on any of those points. That said, we can argue until our fingers bleed about which veteran CB might be the better overall player but I'm guessing it will come down to which player is best AND willing to settle for the type of contract a non-starter can command. And no, I don't think Hood will be offered a starters contract even if the Bengals have lost faith in Joseph.

As odd as this may sound I want an upgrade at the 3rd CB slot far more than I wanted Roy Williams in stripes, and he's a 5-time Pro Bowl player.

Count me in with HOF on this, 3rd CB is far more needed than another S for the Bengals this season.

I agree with this also , who says that a FA CB has to be the NB, if he can win the starting job so be it...

You guys are crazy. Joseph is not questionable at all. He's the best corner on this team.

Hood would be a good pickup becasue we need 4 solid CBs and right now we have 3. Hood may even push Jones for the #3 CB spot. But Jones is younger and has more talent. He played well last year for a first year player and got better and better as the season went on.

I agree with this also , who says that a FA CB has to be the NB, if he can win the starting job so be it...

Letting them compete is all well and good, but are you guys suggesting the Bengals offer Hood a starters contract today? Because if you aren't then I'm thinking we're still talking about the best player available whose willing to accept nickleback coin for a year. Two at the most. Throw in a healthy package of incentives and you might get the job done, but again....Hood has started all but two games over the last two seasons. He'll have other options.

Letting them compete is all well and good, but are you guys suggesting the Bengals offer Hood a starters contract today? Because if you aren't then I'm thinking we're still talking about the best player available whose willing to accept nickleback coin for a year. Two at the most. Throw in a healthy package of incentives and you might get the job done, but again....Hood has started all but two games over the last two seasons. He'll have other options.

If the team is in win now mode, give him starters pay and let him compete with JJ and Hall. I dont see how this hurts the team in any way.

I like Rod Hood for the Bengals, but the Cardinals flat out released this guy after watching him get torched in the playoffs, including the Super Bowl. That said, he would bring another veteran presence to the team and is a solid special teams player. I don't see him as a significant upgrade to David Jones, but he would be a player that would compete for the 3rd CB slot. The fact that it appears the interest in Hood is low actually works in the favor of the Bengals in signing him.

I like Rod Hood for the Bengals, but the Cardinals flat out released this guy after watching him get torched in the playoffs, including the Super Bowl. That said, he would bring another veteran presence to the team and is a solid special teams player. I don't see him as a significant upgrade to David Jones, but he would be a player that would compete for the 3rd CB slot. The fact that it appears the interest in Hood is low actually works in the favor of the Bengals in signing him.

Well, he may get torched against a #1 WR occasionally, but that risk drops off considerably when you place him in the nickle. And should he have to start due to injuries, you're at least getting a guy who is capable and has meaningful experience... unlike anything else on the roster.

It all comes down to whether he's willing to come here as a nickle corner - but if he does, there is no question he's an immediate upgrade over Jones. There's no need for a competition. Pencil him in today.