Maybe MBrown finally gets it...

HoTbOy

Instead, let's hear some wet blanket drippings about blind squirrels finding nuts in their own mouths, broken clocks showing the correct time twice a day, or an idiot rant about how the owner of the team is responsible for everything despite being uninvolved in anything.

Because obviously it was all a simple matter of luck.

I don't believe Brown removed himself from the draft process... but I do think it was an incredibly lucky draft.

It was incredibly fortunate that Maualuga fell to the 2nd round. At the end of day 1, all the analysts agreed that the best player still on the board was Michael Johnson. Coffman would have never been there without the injury, and despite passing on an obvious need with their first 4 picks, there was still a starting caliber Center available with their 5th pick.

That's lucky... no matter how you slice it. It could have been Mike Brown running the show, or Bill Parcells. I'm not sure the draft would have looked any different. Most of the picks were obvious picks at positions of need who happened to be the BPA. That never happens.

So what reason does anyone have to hold this against Brown? Well... just history I guess. I don't like his draft strategy of just waiting around for whoever falls to them. I'd prefer some aggressiveness every now and then. There is no legitimate complaint about this draft in particular, but I still see weaknesses in the draft strategy. One that Mike Brown just had reinforced with his incredibly fortunate weekend.

Mike Brown is, always has been, and always will be - an absolute moron when it comes to football matters

Tax issues? genius

Legal Issues? genius

How to spend the cap floor every year and not a dime more? genius

How to screw Hamilton County Taxpayers? genius

Football-related matters? moron

No, I do not believe any credit for this draft is due to him, except credit for getting out of the way. Mike is at his best when he removes himself from football matters.

I don't agree with allot of what TJ says, but I have to agree with him here. Brown has done nothing but continue to prove he's not a football guy. I think it's naive to think that he all of the sudden "gets it" now. I think we really lucked out with allot of this players just falling into our laps, but in the past it seems like we still would have passed them up. The biggest difference is that we seem to be taking the players that slip too far.

EDIT: I just read Hoosier's draft review. In short, he couldn't be more pleased. An awesome draft. In fact, he writes thow the Bengals could have stopped drafting after two picks and he would have been happy.

Seems to me if he gave credit where it was due he's guilty as anyone of having an old mans nuts in his mouth.

Last weekend was a great start. I have no problem giving credit to the entire organization, including Mikey, for doing a great job.

But it's just a start.

Now they have to actually develop all this raw talent they've accumulated. And player development, especially of players taken in the first few rounds, hasn't been a strength in Cincinnati.

If the Bengals really wanted to make my draft, they would announce the hiring of about half a dozen new assistant coaches, upon whom they could offload the low-round picks and UDFAs who need to be taught their ass from their elbow so that the position coaches and coordinators can focus on polishing Smith and Maualuga and Johnson and Coffman and Luigs into the all-pros they ought to be.

I want to see Paul Alexander duct-taped to Andre Smith's back screaming instructions into his ear for four weeks in August.

I want to see Mike Zimmer on the field every play standing behind Maualuga with a bullhorn to scream at him every time he blows an assignment or gets out of his gap, and a bag of beef chunks so he can pop one in his mouth every time he stays on target.

Thats what will make or break this draft.

Last weekend was a great start. I have no problem giving credit to the entire organization, including Mikey, for doing a great job.

Yup, just as I thought.

You're clinging to Mike's withered nutsack as tightly as anyone here. In fact, it's fair to say that the only ones who aren't are those amongst us who aren't willing to give the man credit for anything even when it's deserved. And obviously, if you're that biased your opinions are worthless.

As for myself, I've consistently tried to give credit when it's deserved, and place blame where I think it belongs. And if that makes me an apologist in the eyes of some....why should I care?

Yup, just as I thought.

You're clinging to Mike's withered nutsack as tightly as anyone here. In fact, it's fair to say that the only ones who aren't are those amongst us who aren't willing to give the man credit for anything even when it's deserved. And obviously, if you're that biased your opinions are worthless.

As for myself, I've consistently tried to give credit when it's deserved, and place blame where I think it belongs. And if that makes me an apologist in the eyes of some....why should I care?

You seem angry and in need of a hug.

I don't know who deserves the bulk of the credit for what looks like a strong draft on paper, but it looks like a step in the right direction at the very least. At the end of the day, Mike Brown will have little to no impact on how focused Smith and Maualuga will be, how consistent Michael Johnson will be, or how effectively Coffman will rehabilitate his injury. I'm hoping that we finally have the coaching staff across the board to maximize all of these players' potential and at the end of the day, Marvin and co. will have the most impact on how this draft class goes down in Bengals history.

I just look at teams like New England and Pittsburgh who annually seem to have average drafts at best, but end up competing for Championships every season.

Yup, just as I thought.

You're clinging to Mike's withered nutsack as tightly as anyone here.

Nah, just doing the usual: calling it as I see it.

When Mikey does good, I pat him on the head.

When he does bad, I kick him in the balls.

Not my fault he tends to do more of the latter than the former.

Here's my take on Mike Brown in a nutshell.

I know he's everyone's favorite to hate for all things under the sun, but I've always really felt his greatest weakness is his loyality.

He stays loyal to his coaches keeping them around longer than he should. Marvin should be fired after this season if the Bengals don't make the playoffs. That would be 7 seasons...1 playoff and 1 winning season. That gets you fired with most teams, but I wouldn't be willing to bet any money that Mike Brown fires Marvin. It's not a money issue, Marvin makes more than any assistant coach we'd hire to be our head guy. Mike just stays loyal to his guys too long. He did it with Shula and Coslet as well. What did either of those two ever do to deserve 5 seasons?

Now it can have it's advantages as well. We could have easily been the Baltimore Bengals. The same offer Modell took and ran out of Cleveland with was offered to Brown. Brown was loyal to the city though and left it up to the voters...and don't ever kid yourself...we would never get another team (unlike Cleveland and Houston). We'd sooner see the Royals return.

Mike deserves a lot of the bashing he gets. He hasn't produced winners, he won't sign a "football guy" to take over as GM, etc. I'm just saying his loyality has been his major downfall. Why struggle through 5 seasons of Dave Shula, Bruce Coslet, and now 7 seasons of Marvin Lewis (the playoff bought Marvin the couple extra seasons), when it's clear they're not the guy to take the franchise to the next level? Give a guy 3 years and if it ain't working...get rid of him. Eventually you have to find a guy worth a damn. Mike Zimmer seems like a firey type that players love to play hard for. Let's give him a shot if Marvin doesn't make the playoffs this year. Why wait for another team to swoop him up and then fire Marvin anyway a couple years down the road? Give him 3 years, and if he's not working out...adios. Like I said though, Brown would give Zimmer 5-6 years like he does everyone else. He's loyal to a fault.

Some may claim the Bengals would be a laughing stock if they had hired a new coach every 3 years since the early '90s, but their arguement loses a lot of steam with the fact we already are the laughing stock of the NFL since the early '90s.

Nah, just doing the usual: calling it as I see it.

When Mikey does good, I pat him on the head.

When he does bad, I kick him in the balls.

Isn't that what MOST of us do?

Yet according to you I'm not only clinging to Mikes nuts, I am his nuts. But you're different I guess...mostly because you whine and bitch ALMOST as much as those who blame the man for everything miserable in their lives, including the weather.

It's a subtle difference, but very much appreciated.

To be honest I don't care very much about how much credit Mike gets for the last draft because none of us really knows how it will turn out. But it does seem remarkably stupid for anyone to claim he wasn't involved, especially when there are signs of his fingerprints all over the place.

Yeah, I could use a hug.

So how about you start hugging me below the beltline until my mood improves?

I'd make Hair buy dinner first.

It's nice to know how cheaply you can be bought.

I didn't say 'what' dinner, big boy. I may be easy, but I ain't cheap.

Yeah, I could use a hug.

I'd make Hair buy dinner first.

It's nice to know how cheaply you can be bought.

I didn't say 'what' dinner, big boy. I may be easy, but I ain't cheap.

You strike me as a Biggie French Fry kind of guy, and I've got that kind of coin.

Let's make some magic.

Yeah, I could use a hug.

LOL...I'm actually laughing out loud. I love internet message boards. I think I may use that line in the future. Here's to hoping someone does give you that hug in the near future.