Your Draft Grades Please

Dadraftnick

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Questionable move: Taking Rey Maualuga in the second round.

So taking arguably the best MLB in the draft, a top 10 talent, after he fell to the #38 spot in the second round is questionable ??

Someone please slap the sh*t out of that guy !!!

That was Prisco's words NOT MINE

The thing I have read on the reason that Rey slipped is - he is slow and he is a two down LB.

That is exactly the same thing they said about Chris Spielman - and he ran over a 5.0 40 yd dash ,much slower tban Maualuga.

He lasted to the 2nd rnd too.

Spielman was one of the best LB's to ever walk on an NFL field .

I think that they got knocked on taking Rey when, they could have had DE Conner Barwin or C Max Unger which better fit their needs.

So taking arguably the best MLB in the draft, a top 10 talent, after he fell to the #38 spot in the second round is questionable ??

And that is why I took your name off the quote. I gotcha !!!

Atleast were not burning 1sts on those redflags like the Patriots & Vikings.

Did you notice that the Profootball talk guy trashed Percy Harvin daily until the Vikings took him and then they put up a glowing article on how great and misunderstood he was?

I dont know if he was trashing him because, he was afraid the Bengals would draft him, or he was trying to get him to slide to the Steelers or what but , it was funny.

Maybe he is a Vikings fan too, we know that he thinks that the Patriots and Steelers can do no wrong.

I didnt think you thought it was me , I just wanted to make SURE that EVERYBODY knew that they were PRISCO'S words not mine.

I didnt think you thought it was me , I just wanted to make SURE that EVERYBODY knew that they were PRISCO'S words not mine.

No issues...

The thing I have read on the reason that Rey slipped is - he is slow and he is a two down LB.

That is exactly the same thing they said about Chris Spielman - and he ran over a 5.0 40 yd dash ,much slower tban Maualuga.

He lasted to the 2nd rnd too.

Spielman was one of the best Detroit Lion LB's to ever walk on an NFL field .

I think that they got knocked on taking Rey when, they could have had DE Conner Barwin or C Max Unger which better fit their needs.

I fixed that for you, I agree with membengal, take your gifts and move on, it's a simple concept that the Bengals never seem to grasp until now, I think with a lot of the Bengals coaches entering their contract years they couldnt afford to be drafting projects until the late rounds instead of the 2nd and 3rd rounds like they were doing in the past.

I would grade the draft a strong A.

Realistically, the Bengals would do well to have hit two homeruns out of the first four picks. While any of their first four picks could become Pro Bowlers, any of them could also become major disappointments. Out of the four, I think the safest bets are Smith and Coffman. I love the value at where each of the picks was made compared to the upside, as well as compared to the other players that were still on the board when the Bengals pick. The most overlooked/under- rated pick is Huber. His selection alone could turn our defense into a Top 10 unit, statistically. You also have to love Luigs, who would've been a 2nd or 3rd rounder in a normal year for Cs. I compare where we got him this year, to getting a player like Anthony Collins in the 4th last year in a very deep draft for OTs.

My sleeper outside of Bernard Scott is Clinton McDonald from Memphis. By many accounts, he was considered a 4th round pick before surprisingly not being invited to attend the Combine. He did struggle with some injuries last season, but still was able to register 7 sacks that was amongst the most in the nation for DTs. He followed a strong week at the East-West game (where he was called unblockable) with this unbelievably freakish Pro Day:

04/01/09 - Memphis Pro day: Twelve team representatives were present to watch 15 players work out outdoors on a Tartan Track. Here were the two notable prospects: DT Clinton McDonald (6-2, 283 pounds) ran a 4.89 and 4.83 in the 40, had a 38-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot, 1-inch broad jump, a 4.50 short shuttle, a 7.25 three-cone drill and did 36 bench press reps. He looked good and definitely helped himself. – Gil Brandt, NFL.com

I would grade the draft a strong A.

Realistically, the Bengals would do well to have hit two homeruns out of the first four picks. While any of their first four picks could become Pro Bowlers, any of them could also become major disappointments. Out of the four, I think the safest bets are Smith and Coffman. I love the value at where each of the picks was made compared to the upside, as well as compared to the other players that were still on the board when the Bengals pick. The most overlooked/under- rated pick is Huber. His selection alone could turn our defense into a Top 10 unit, statistically. You also have to love Luigs, who would've been a 2nd or 3rd rounder in a normal year for Cs. I compare where we got him this year, to getting a player like Anthony Collins in the 4th last year in a very deep draft for OTs.

My sleeper outside of Bernard Scott is Clinton McDonald from Memphis. By many accounts, he was considered a 4th round pick before surprisingly not being invited to attend the Combine. He did struggle with some injuries last season, but still was able to register 7 sacks that was amongst the most in the nation for DTs. He followed a strong week at the East-West game (where he was called unblockable) with this unbelievably freakish Pro Day:

04/01/09 - Memphis Pro day: Twelve team representatives were present to watch 15 players work out outdoors on a Tartan Track. Here were the two notable prospects: DT Clinton McDonald (6-2, 283 pounds) ran a 4.89 and 4.83 in the 40, had a 38-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot, 1-inch broad jump, a 4.50 short shuttle, a 7.25 three-cone drill and did 36 bench press reps. He looked good and definitely helped himself. – Gil Brandt, NFL.com

I like the McDonald pick, but I think half of his sacks were in 1 game against a division 2 school

If any is interested here is draft grades for Bengals drafts going back many years with player profiles.

From 900 football links, one of the best in the biz.

Sorry this year is not up yet.

But,you can see his takes on past drafts and draft grades for them.

http://www.900footballlinks.net/bengals.htm

Some pretty good stuff, there. Looking back, Shirley having a 4.18 short-shuttle is incredible. It was almost .4 seconds faster than Simpson and only .07 seconds slower than Caldwell. That's what you call RARE athleticism for a man 330 pounds.

I never realized that Henry only scored a 9 on the Wonderlic, which was 3 less than Odell at 12. Not really surprising, but interesting, to say the least.

Funny how they have a guy that big and athletic in Shirley, who would appear to give them that HUGE guy to build a 3-4 around, but he's just not there yet. Not being an advocate of this team moving to a 3-4 and not real sure how our DT's would project into that scheme (I don't like Tank in that he did poorly in Dallas in that scheme), but the addition of Michael Johnson and him being viewed and practicing at OLB, certainly gives them some options in the look and would allow Maualuga and Dhani to man the middle.

M. Johnson, Maualuga, Dhani, and Rivers doesn't sound half bad as a LB corps in that scheme.

ONCE AGAIN, THE 4-3 IS GOING TO BE THE BASE...

Funny how they have a guy that big and athletic in Shirley, who would appear to give them that HUGE guy to build a 3-4 around, but he's just not there yet. Not being an advocate of this team moving to a 3-4 and not real sure how our DT's would project into that scheme (I don't like Tank in that he did poorly in Dallas in that scheme), but the addition of Michael Johnson and him being viewed and practicing at OLB, certainly gives them some options in the look and would allow Maualuga and Dhani to man the middle.

M. Johnson, Maualuga, Dhani, and Rivers doesn't sound half bad as a LB corps in that scheme.

Tank is not big enough to play NT. If he were to play the 3-4, it should be as a DE. But he fits best as a a 4-3 DT.

You might be on to something, Army. Sims and Peko could be good 3-4 ends, as could Rucker. I could definitely see Peko carving out a Kimo type career for himself in that base. The LB quartet you mentioned would be absolutely awesome and Marvin finally has the athletic pash rusher that he's coveted in MJ. I guess the only question would be, what do you do with the two highest-paid players on defense in Odom and Geathers?

I think the idea is, with the newfound depth at LB, we might see more 3-4 looks this season.

That's what I was saying about Tank. He sucked in the 3-4 in Dallas and why he was a backup. It's also a reason people were encouraged by bringing him here and putting him back in a 4-3. That being said, the only way I see the 3-4 is with Shirley manning that position and the reason for me bringing it up. Outside of Shirley, there isn't much in my opinion. That's why I was saying I wasn't sure how our current DT's fit and who would do what. It wouldn't be our base set, but I do expect some of those looks from time to time...

i think we could run a 34 with Shirley at DT, Fanene and Rucker at DE (purely for mass reasons - 295 and 280 lb respectively), and whatever LBs you want to use - Johnson and Odom outside with Dhani and Jeanty inside?

Would be interesting and sure see them play around abit with it just for different looks,But can't see full switch coming....

and whatever LBs you want to use - Johnson and Odom outside with Dhani and Jeanty inside?

Forgetting about Rivers? & The guy in your avatar :)

Would be interesting and sure see them play around abit with it just for different looks,But can't see full switch coming....

and whatever LBs you want to use - Johnson and Odom outside with Dhani and Jeanty inside?

Odom needs to show us he belongs on the field.

in a 3-4, in pass rush siuations, I'd like to see them load up with Sims and Johnson, at DE and LB on one side, with Rey in the midle...overload..Put Shirley at NT, let him get his arms up and then use Rivers and Geathers for the LB over the other side with Peko as DE.

Johnson - Rey - Rivers - Geathers

Sims - Shirley - Peko

To me, that is the best pass rush alignment.. Tank/Jeanty/B. Johnson can rotate in...Odom and Dhani appears to be oddmen out in pass situations...granted they can get the subs in there in time.

when talking about 3-4 looks the value of rucker and fanene can not be overlooked, i could also see clinton mcdonald being a factor in this situation he's got the size and quickness, at the very least it'll light a fire underneath rucker and fanene.

when talking about 3-4 looks the value of rucker and fanene can not be overlooked, i could also see clinton mcdonald being a factor in this situation he's got the size and quickness, at the very least it'll light a fire underneath rucker and fanene.

If he's healthy, Rucker is our best run defending DE by far. He was playing very, very well for Odom when he was injured and made a lot of plays in the backfield, although not many (if any) sacks. He's one of those guys that's always around the ball. The injury question will always be there, but I remember Marvin talking positive about his play last season. Let's all hope that he stays healthy through training camp, but I think Fanene is more on the bubble than Frostee is.

If McDonald comes in as good as advertised, he'll get a strong look as a less-expensive alternate to Fanene, being a guy that can play the "3" and play outside in a rotation on running downs. Maybe like a rich man's John Thornton. :rolleyes:

900 Footballinks now has THIS YEAR'S - DRAFT GRADE UP

Check it out, you will like what he has to say.

*note - if you click on the players name it will give you the player profile for that player.

http://www.900footballlinks.net/bengals.htm

I cant remember him liking a draft this much,except the Carson draft.

In the critique he mentions the all star games here is his takes on the all star games and practice

East/West shrine game

http://www.900footballlinks.net/2009ewshrine.htm

Senior Bowl practice-North team

http://www.900footballlinks.net/2009sbpnorth.htm

Senior Bowl practice South team

http://www.900footballlinks.net/2009sbpsouth.htm

Senior Bowl Game

http://www.900footballlinks.net/2009seniorbowl.htm

Odom needs to show us he belongs on the field.

I guess the fact that he led the team in sacks while only being healthy enough to start 8 games doesn't count?

in a 3-4, in pass rush siuations, I'd like to see them load up with Sims and Johnson, at DE and LB on one side, with Rey in the midle...overload..Put Shirley at NT, let him get his arms up and then use Rivers and Geathers for the LB over the other side with Peko as DE.

Johnson - Rey - Rivers - Geathers

Sims - Shirley - Peko

To me, that is the best pass rush alignment.. Tank/Jeanty/B. Johnson can rotate in...Odom and Dhani appears to be oddmen out in pass situations...granted they can get the subs in there in time.

It's fun to fantasize about how the 3-4 would look... but right now it's a dream. Shirley couldn't get on the field ahead of Thornton... and even when injuries forced Thornton to play DE, Shirley was only on the field for 2 games, and made 3 total tackles. I doubt he's ready to take on the responsibilities of an NFL NT.

Add to that the fact that Rivers is a prototypical 4-3 WLB. Changing the defense to a base 3-4 takes away what he does best.

I just think everyone is reading way too much into Johnson playing some SLB in practice. He also practiced at DE. Geathers has also played SLB a lot on the field - and the 3-4 can be used from time to time as the game dictates... but the Bengals will not be using it as a base.

I just think this allows the team to be a little more versatile in what it does and looks to lock up some positions that will clearly be a need in the near future. If the team is able to develop and wants to look at a switch in the future, so be it. I think the key word in my last sentence is, "future". That switch won't come anytime within the next couple years, if at all. I'd be willing to bet on that.

I just like having athletes that allow the team to move things around and not be so predictable...