6th Round #1: Morgan Trent

ArmyBengal

Trent took over left cornerback duties from a departed Leon Hall as a junior. He was a second-team All-Big Ten Conference choice, as he limited the opponents to a 31.76 pass completion percentage and just 3.07 yards per attempt, on 85 passes targeted into his territory. He registered a career-high 10 pass deflections and picked off another throw. He also made 41 tackles (32 solo) with two stops behind the line of scrimmage, as he was involved in 23 third-down stops.

He looked really good at the combine and has elite speed. He beat Ted Ginn Jr. in both the 100m and the 200m in highschool.

and Tedd Ginn, Santonio Holmes, and Brian Robiskie (who does not have great speed) all made him look terrible. It wasn't just them either. I have seen almost every one of his games, and not impressed is an understatement. Clearly they are not going to get a starting CB in the 6th, but I am not sure he is even a backup.

I could be wrong, but count me as considering this a wasted pick.

6th round,if he has good tackling skills could be a special teamer and who knows could may develop in to more...

But I didn't see us getting anyone without some drawbacks this late in the draft with how many CB's were taken quite a few drafted two.

Hes a 6'1 conerback not a bad pick

who doesn't play to his workout speed or tackle well. color me meh. (Mike's woken up.)

The best part is - Ive checked the schedule and Ohio State is not on it.

When you look at the 106 tackles it tells you that he plays the run inorder to make that many tackles

The most important thing to look for in a CB is Passes broken up and interceptions - it tells you that the guy plays the ball.

Anything over 10 in PBU and interceptions anyting over 4 is good.

Great size to handle big WR's

Trent took over left cornerback duties from a departed Leon Hall as a junior. He was a second-team All-Big Ten Conference choice, as he limited the opponents to a 31.76 pass completion percentage and just 3.07 yards per attempt, on 85 passes targeted into his territory. He registered a career-high 10 pass deflections and picked off another throw. He also made 41 tackles (32 solo) with two stops behind the line of scrimmage, as he was involved in 23 third-down stops.

I'd like to see the source link for this, but if this is all true, this is a GREAT pickup for r6, even though I'd much rather we took a corner with return talent

NFLDraftCountdown says

Strengths:

Very athletic...Above average height and adequate bulk...Good speed with a burst to close...Great strength...Tough and physical...Reliable tackler...Excellent leaper...Durable...Has a lot of big-time experience.

Weaknesses:

Lacks great instincts and awareness...Hips aren't fluid...Struggles to turn and run...Just average hands and ball skills...Can't recover when beat...Lackluster footwork...Isn't a big hitter...Extremely inconsistent.

I'll take "tough and physical" and "reliable tackler" and "durable" every day in round 6. Good size and leaping is a bonus.

Definitely in the mix as the first corner off the bench

He definitly has more potential than any corner left. He can step right in to the nickle and be able to play. He will be very good if put in the right situations. Michigan was just a bad situation for him that was out of his control. I like the pick.

I disagree. I think Coye Francies has a far higher potential. However, he is also much more of a bust risk... which is why I don't blame them for the pick. Trent also is far closer to being NFL ready than Francies... but I just see Coye as a risk worth taking... similar to my Cromartie infatuation a couple years ago.

• 6 months later...

He doesn't look 6'1". Someone added a couple of inches to that stat methinks. Looking like a great pick so far. production out of a 6th rounder in his first yr? Awesome.

6'1" is what he measured in at during the combine.

Blimey. Someone should tell him to stop slouching.