6th Round #2: Bernard Scott

ArmyBengal

you're all trying desperately to reassure yourselves it really was a smart pick. So you write more than a hundred posts discussing how he could be the next LT while casually mentioning how quickly he could be discarded.

Again, has any late 6th round pick ever generated this type of interest before?

You had to ask?

There was a young man named Reggie McNeal a few years back. You might remember him... <_<

Honestly, we'll be lucky if Scott isn't found in the back seat of an Escalade in October with Chris Henry puking out the passenger window and Rey Maualuga failing a field sobriety test. I don't know why the team continues to takes chances on these guys. All their trouble hasn't paid off yet.

Both Odell Thurman and Chris Henry were significant contributors to an 11 win season, a division championship, and a playoff spot. They played very well, especially Thurman. In fact, Thurman should have been the AFC defensive ROY. Moreover, as far as I can determine, Maualuga and Scott have yet to cause us any trouble. You are far too negative. As for Scott, he's generating a lot of discussion here because he is a very intriguing pick due to his accomplishments on the field, his outstanding performance at the Combine and, unfortunately, his past problems off the field. If he is generating more discussion than any previous 6th pick, its probably because Scott is the most interesting and controversial 6th round pick this team has ever made-Reggie McNeal isn't even close. I am hopeful his game can translate to the NFL and that he behaves himself. On one hand, Scott could be a valuable addition to this team. On the other, he could be another sad story. We'll see soon enough. But I really take exception to the people who have reacted to the selection of Bernard Scott with reflexive scorn and contempt. Someone in this thread actually said that if Scott hadn't been drafted by the NFL "people would call him a piece of s**t person" Oh really? Its ONLY because he was drafted into the NFL that someone who doesn't know the guy would have sneeringly dismissed him as "a piece of s**t person." If Scott wasn't a football player, but just an anonymous guy in Texas, an objective person with even a modest measure of empathy could view Bernard Scott as a young man with a troubled past who is trying to turn his life around. Seems to be doing a pretty good job of it so far. For some, though, I guess he will never be more than a "piece of s**t person" who plays football.

Very good post and my thoughts exactly.

People talk about his past, but 4 of his 5 arrests resulted in charges being dismissed and the 5th will be expunged as soon as he completes his probation. Give the guy a break. He hasn't had a run in with the law in over 2 years. Even then, it's not like he is electrocuting animals, commiting vehicular homicides or packing pistols in nightclubs while wearing his game jersey. He was charged with doing things like stealing an IPod and accidentally punching his coach during a fight with a teammate, all misdemeanors. The guy is trying his best to turn his life around and Marvin and the team have enough confidence in him as a man to give him a shot at an NFL career. As Bengals fans, we should all hope for the best instead of trashing the guy before he even steps foot in Cincinnati. If he does anything at all next season, it will be the most that we've gotten from a 6th round pick in many years. As I've said before, I like his chances over Matt Sherry, who was our 6th round compensatory pick from last year.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for hoping the guy has turned it around. I'm also for hoping he can even come close to resembling one James Brooks, but that's one hell of a comparison to put him up against. I really wish the kid well and hope he can be that 3rd down back we would love to see catching passes and turning the corner on the outside.

All that being said, I'll hold judgement as well as comparing him to one of the Bengal greats until later on.

I still don't get the Sherry comments, unless all you're trying to say is he was a 6th round comp pick draftee like Scott was...

I'm all for hoping the guy has turned it around. I'm also for hoping he can even come close to resembling one James Brooks, but that's one hell of a comparison to put him up against. I really wish the kid well and hope he can be that 3rd down back we would love to see catching passes and turning the corner on the outside.

All that being said, I'll hold judgement as well as comparing him to one of the Bengal greats until later on.

I still don't get the Sherry comments, unless all you're trying to say is he was a 6th round comp pick draftee like Scott was...

Im cautiously very optimistic on this guy.

Lets remember that James Brooks could not read and he did well for us. (he cheated through all of college)

Everyone has risks. This guys quickness is amazing and I look forward to him to try and prove himself. Maybe he has figured it all out. But we all know he will be on a very short leash.

Also, I dont think the image of the Bengals are at risk. That will only be healed by winning consistantly. The only risk here is a 6th round draft pick. I think I would give him a chance as well.

you're all trying desperately to reassure yourselves it really was a smart pick. So you write more than a hundred posts discussing how he could be the next LT while casually mentioning how quickly he could be discarded.

Again, has any late 6th round pick ever generated this type of interest before?

You had to ask?

There was a young man named Reggie McNeal a few years back. You might remember him... <_<

Honestly, we'll be lucky if Scott isn't found in the back seat of an Escalade in October with Chris Henry puking out the passenger window and Rey Maualuga failing a field sobriety test. I don't know why the team continues to takes chances on these guys. All their trouble hasn't paid off yet.

Both Odell Thurman and Chris Henry were significant contributors to an 11 win season, a division championship, and a playoff spot. They played very well, especially Thurman. In fact, Thurman should have been the AFC defensive ROY. Moreover, as far as I can determine, Maualuga and Scott have yet to cause us any trouble. You are far too negative. As for Scott, he's generating a lot of discussion here because he is a very intriguing pick due to his accomplishments on the field, his outstanding performance at the Combine and, unfortunately, his past problems off the field. If he is generating more discussion than any previous 6th pick, its probably because Scott is the most interesting and controversial 6th round pick this team has ever made-Reggie McNeal isn't even close. I am hopeful his game can translate to the NFL and that he behaves himself. On one hand, Scott could be a valuable addition to this team. On the other, he could be another sad story. We'll see soon enough. But I really take exception to the people who have reacted to the selection of Bernard Scott with reflexive scorn and contempt. Someone in this thread actually said that if Scott hadn't been drafted by the NFL "people would call him a piece of s**t person" Oh really? Its ONLY because he was drafted into the NFL that someone who doesn't know the guy would have sneeringly dismissed him as "a piece of s**t person." If Scott wasn't a football player, but just an anonymous guy in Texas, an objective person with even a modest measure of empathy could view Bernard Scott as a young man with a troubled past who is trying to turn his life around. Seems to be doing a pretty good job of it so far. For some, though, I guess he will never be more than a "piece of s**t person" who plays football.

I'll ignore that you speak of the Odell Thurman Experience as though it were a positive for this team... :rolleyes:

And maybe I'll have to dig up one or two of the raves about Reggie McNeal being just as good as Vince Young (back when we thought Vince Young was, you know, good).

But the point is, the guys who play on Sunday are not just football players. Sometimes they hang together -- especially, it seems, the bad apples (as in the case of Odell's DUI, the nightclub incident last spring, etc). I think it's foolish for the team to keep bringing in questionable characters -- and in this case, an actual CRIMINAL (as opposed to Chris and Odell who didn't hit their stride with their shenannigans until they got into the NFL). These guys will drag each other down. It's not just a 6th round draft pick that's at stake here -- it's his potential to drag others into his misbehavior and also take up a roster spot in the process.

I'm willing to give Scott a chance. What choice do I have? With a little luck, Scott will turn out to be no worse than AJ Nicholson, and manage to stay out of trouble long enough to amount to NOTHING in spite of his upside. And yes, with a lot of luck he'll actually amount to something as a player. It's just my opinion that no amount of talent is worth the kind of risk to the team that bringing in a character like Scott is.

I'll ignore that you speak of the Odell Thurman Experience as though it were a positive for this team... :rolleyes:

Odell turned it into a ginormous cluster-phuck, but for the '05 season, Odell was a huge positive for this team.

I miss what he gave us and I hope we just got it back.

You take the good with the bad. If I were a glass-1/4-full kind of guy maybe I'd agree and thank Odell for the one season of good play. But his absence since then has clearly set the defense way back -- essentially screwed us for 2 seasons. I do have high hopes that Maualuga will finally bring the swagger we've missed in Odell's absence.

But this thread isn't about Odell. If Scott contributes as much this season as Odell did in '05, then MAYBE I'd concede it was worthwhile picking him up. But even then there's always that potential for epic failure looming. What is it he's done or said that has you all convinced that he's on the straight-and-narrow...?

If I were a glass-1/4-full kind of guy maybe I'd agree and thank Odell for the one season of good play. But his absence since then has clearly set the defense way back -- essentially screwed us for 2 seasons.

Then I'd say Bengals were twice screwed....because without the injury to Nate Webster the Bengals never would have drafted Thurman in the first place.