6th Round #2: Bernard Scott

ArmyBengal

Not trying be a homer but sounds like if Coffman had not been injured he should have been first TE selected....He's had more production then most TE's I've seen come out the past few years...More then Vernon the workout warrior or Pettigrew ....So makes me wonder had he not had a foot injury would he have been the first TE taken?

Pettigrew 1,400 4 seasons

Shawn Nelson 2,054 4 seasons

Chase Coffman 2,659 4 seasons

Jared Cook 1,107 3 seasons

Just seems like he's trumped other TE's by alot

In the one job he performs. He was not asked to block much, and is easily the least experienced at that job of anyone in that list.

He's only a TE because of his size and where he lines up. He's going to have to be taught from scratch how to block. The kid seems tough, so I imagine he can do it... but I don't think he would have been the first TE taken.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And look at the college career TD's in comparison. Staggering...

Pettigrew- 9

Nelson- 16

Cook- 7

Coffman- 30

The two other TE's ranked right around the same place were:

Ingram- 7

Beckum- 11

That's part of the biggest reason I had him in my mock draft for the Bengals. Big, pass catching TE that has actually produced good numbers.

It's hard to argue with Coffman's stats and what he's been able to accomplish in that offense.

Not trying be a homer but sounds like if Coffman had not been injured he should have been first TE selected....He's had more production then most TE's I've seen come out the past few years...More then Vernon the workout warrior or Pettigrew ....So makes me wonder had he not had a foot injury would he have been the first TE taken?

In the one job he performs. He was not asked to block much, and is easily the least experienced at that job of anyone in that list.

He's only a TE because of his size and where he lines up. He's going to have to be taught from scratch how to block. The kid seems tough, so I imagine he can do it... but I don't think he would have been the first TE taken.

Not sure they would have to force him to be a blocking TE. If they two TE sets he can create mismatches by lining up in the slot or going in motion. He can be a terror in the redzone.

Not sure they would have to force him to be a blocking TE. If they two TE sets he can create mismatches by lining up in the slot or going in motion. He can be a terror in the redzone.

Sure. But you and I both know the Bengals are going to ask him to block... at least part of the time. And my only reason for bringing up his lack of experience in the blocking game was in pointing out that I don't think he would have been the first TE taken. I wasn't trying to downplay his value.

I REALLY hope Bernard Scott stays out of trouble... :D

And that's funny precisely because it's all that needs to be said.

In fact, I'll argue the biggest reason for the Scott selection instantly becoming the most debated draft pick really doesn't have all that much to do with him being such a great value, but rather....you're all trying desperately to reassure yourselves it really was a smart pick. So you write more than a hundred posts discussing how he could be the next LT while casually mentioning how quickly he could be discarded.

Again, has any late 6th round pick ever generated this type of interest before?

Scott is interesting because of the unknown that surrounds a character risk, small school phenom moving up to the top level of competition.

Hopefully he can contirbute on ST and become a third down threat at RB. I think his boom is bigger than the other picks because of all the questions that his selection brings to the table, but his bust is smaller than most due to him being picked in the 6th rd.

I am solidly in the camp of hoping he is the gem of the draft, because Andre the giant, Rey Rey and Huber look to be solid players with little bust possibilities. If the Benagls can get 4 contributors from one draft they have gone a long way in making up for the failures of previous draft classes.

Scott is interesting because of the unknown that surrounds a character risk, small school phenom moving up to the top level of competition.

Well there's that.

And we all hated Chris Perry.

Add those two things together and I think we've got the makings of another Cincinnati cult hero.

All of which brings us to full circle.

"I REALLY hope Bernard Scott stays out of trouble..."

you're all trying desperately to reassure yourselves it really was a smart pick. So you write more than a hundred posts discussing how he could be the next LT while casually mentioning how quickly he could be discarded.

You had to ask?

There was a young man named Reggie McNeal a few years back. You might remember him... <_<

Honestly, we'll be lucky if Scott isn't found in the back seat of an Escalade in October with Chris Henry puking out the passenger window and Rey Maualuga failing a field sobriety test. I don't know why the team continues to takes chances on these guys. All their trouble hasn't paid off yet.

you're all trying desperately to reassure yourselves it really was a smart pick. So you write more than a hundred posts discussing how he could be the next LT while casually mentioning how quickly he could be discarded.

You had to ask?

There was a young man named Reggie McNeal a few years back. You might remember him... <_<

Not only do I remember Reggie, and his peculiar habit of smoking dipped cigarettes, I remember we didn't talk about him as much as we're talking about Scott. But I do admit you're right in at least one regard because as I recall most of the McNeal discussion was centered on his return skills, a job he never came close to earning.

I'm still guessing the Bernard Scott fascination is based upon three things. First, the red flags. Second, our hatred of all things Chris Perry and our hope that his sorry ass can be replaced this easily. And last, our hopes that this might be a sign that the Bengals have finally figured out how incredibly stupid it was to use two high draft picks on part-time offensive skill positions like 3rd down RB.

Chris Perry and our hope that his sorry ass can be replaced this easily

Based on the amount of time Two Carry was on the field, you could have replaced him, Hair. Or me. Or even JoeWrong.

Not too difficult to replace a guy who was never on the field.

We all have an ass and we can all set it down on a bench.

Also, I am quite certain I'd be very good at depositing un-earned game checks every week. An all-pro, even.

Err, isn't this thread about Scott rather than Coffman?

Sorry. I just responded to a statement by Kaz. I didn't mean to interrupt your love fest. :D

Hehe well I was going put in the Coffman thread but figure I just do it hear since talked about his grade amoung our other draft picks.

I'll say it's been 8 drafts since we landed a difference maker at the end of the draft and I'll also say that Scott has as good a chance as anyone of late to be that type of player. I mean, say what you want about him playing at ACU; He's DOMINATED everywhere he's been. His production is near legendary and his measurables were at the top end of the Combine. If not for the character concerns, you're talking about a guy that we could've been talking about picking in the 2nd or 3rd round.

D*mn, have we really gone so far as to call one our 6th round pick a difference maker ??

Look, I love the draft and while he may be a player that helps us, there's just no way I'm ready to crown this guy anything outside of a risk until he can do something on the field. When he can dominate at the next level as opposed to rushing for 1000 yards against the Univeristy of Mother Mary of the Blind, I'll be willing to call the guy a difference maker.

Let it also be known, I'm hoping that's the case...

Noted

I am all but certain he can contribute right away as a KR

I think it more probable than not that he could also be our PR, albeit they may want another player to handle that duty

I think it is highly likely that he can contribute as the 3rd down receiving back, albeit he'll really need to work on his passblocking

All barring injury and assuming he keeps his nose clean, naturally

D*mn, have we really gone so far as to call one our 6th round pick a difference maker ??

Look, I love the draft and while he may be a player that helps us, there's just no way I'm ready to crown this guy anything outside of a risk until he can do something on the field. When he can dominate at the next level as opposed to rushing for 1000 yards against the Univeristy of Mother Mary of the Blind, I'll be willing to call the guy a difference maker.

Never said he was, but he has a better chance at making an impact this season than Matt Sherry.

You can crown any of our selections risks. If the NFL draft was a sure-thing, we'd never have "busts" and "underachievers", which are both uncomfortably common phrases in Bengaland. These teams evaluate players based on how they project to the NFL and Rey Maualuga and Andre Smith have every bit the opportunity to flame out as Kevin Huber and Scott, if not more.

There is no denying this player has ability. As I've said numerous times, it's almost undebatable that he would not have been around in the 6th round if not for his checkered past in attending numerous colleges and what looks like to be mostly bogus arrests (most recently more than 2 years ago). I'm not calling him the savior, James Brooks or any of that but he could be a player that surprises with his natural ability, versus where he was drafted.

Never said he was, but he has a better chance at making an impact this season than Matt Sherry.

You can crown any of our selections risks. If the NFL draft was a sure-thing, we'd never have "busts" and "underachievers", which are both uncomfortably common phrases in Bengaland. These teams evaluate players based on how they project to the NFL and Rey Maualuga and Andre Smith have every bit the opportunity to flame out as Kevin Huber and Scott, if not more.

There is no denying this player has ability. As I've said numerous times, it's almost undebatable that he would not have been around in the 6th round if not for his checkered past in attending numerous colleges and what looks like to be mostly bogus arrests (most recently more than 2 years ago). I'm not calling him the savior, James Brooks or any of that but he could be a player that surprises with his natural ability, versus where he was drafted.

My bad, I thought that's what you meant when you said it's been a long time since we drafted a playmaker in the late rounds.

Matt Sherry is a practice squad TE, so I don't know if that's saying much.

Sure you can call them all risks, but how many of the other so called "risks" have had the legal trouble he has ?? That's what I was getting at and regardless of how much ability the kid has, there's no denying that. Why is it once a player becomes part of this team excuses are part of the norm ?? Bogus arrests ?? C'mon, if the dude wasn't a football player drafted by an NFL team, I bet most people would look at his situation and call him a piece of sh*t person. Seriously.

You had to ask?

Honestly, we'll be lucky if Scott isn't found in the back seat of an Escalade in October with Chris Henry puking out the passenger window and Rey Maualuga failing a field sobriety test. I don't know why the team continues to takes chances on these guys. All their trouble hasn't paid off yet.

Both Odell Thurman and Chris Henry were significant contributors to an 11 win season, a division championship, and a playoff spot. They played very well, especially Thurman. In fact, Thurman should have been the AFC defensive ROY. Moreover, as far as I can determine, Maualuga and Scott have yet to cause us any trouble. You are far too negative. As for Scott, he's generating a lot of discussion here because he is a very intriguing pick due to his accomplishments on the field, his outstanding performance at the Combine and, unfortunately, his past problems off the field. If he is generating more discussion than any previous 6th pick, its probably because Scott is the most interesting and controversial 6th round pick this team has ever made-Reggie McNeal isn't even close. I am hopeful his game can translate to the NFL and that he behaves himself. On one hand, Scott could be a valuable addition to this team. On the other, he could be another sad story. We'll see soon enough. But I really take exception to the people who have reacted to the selection of Bernard Scott with reflexive scorn and contempt. Someone in this thread actually said that if Scott hadn't been drafted by the NFL "people would call him a piece of s**t person" Oh really? Its ONLY because he was drafted into the NFL that someone who doesn't know the guy would have sneeringly dismissed him as "a piece of s**t person." If Scott wasn't a football player, but just an anonymous guy in Texas, an objective person with even a modest measure of empathy could view Bernard Scott as a young man with a troubled past who is trying to turn his life around. Seems to be doing a pretty good job of it so far. For some, though, I guess he will never be more than a "piece of s**t person" who plays football.