6th Round #2: Bernard Scott

ArmyBengal

Yeah I don't see the reason to be negative here.

Could be the best running back in the draft.

If he doesn't work out or gets in trouble, we're out a sixth round draft pick, so what? I like the pick.

Remember after the Pittsburgh game when Chris Henry and a bunch of the boys went out and got in trouble?

Remember the story of Chad swinging at a coach when Carson went down?

WTF is this guy going to do?

You can take the criminal out of the hood but you cant take the hood out of the criminal.

You know T.J. and Chad came out of a bad hood but , they kept themselves out of jail and and they were happy to have a better life stayed clean to keep it.

What is this guy going to do if he gets a nice chunk of change? I mean after he has bought a gold grill and chains?

I remember when Pac man came out , and I didnt want us to take him because , I knew he had some bad character issues-and he looked like a chior boy compaired to this guy.

This may be the biggest criminal ever drafted.

He said it has made him a better person >_< and knows better now >_<....but the ability he has for a 6th round pick just may be worth the drama aslong as it doesn't bite us in the ass...i

Thats the kind of $hit they always say- no doubt it came straight from his agent's mouth.

I agree with you on this. Money usually just makes you more of what you already are. Henry said he learned his lesson after his 1st arrest, and then his 2nd, and then his 3rd. Guys have agents to help them know the right things to say and how to increase their value. If the dude's a thug, he'll only be more of one once he gets his paycheck.

I'm not buying that stuff. That said, I don't care about it that much. On the slim chance that he stays out of trouble, this is a tremendous value pick. If he does get into trouble and needs to be fired... it's a late 6th round pick. Not much lost, except the continued media frenzy, which frankly doesn't bother me anymore. If the Bengals start winning games, all will be forgiven.

Like I said this guy may be the best RB in the whole draft- no $hitt

And its just a 6th rnd pick butt, let me put it this way, imagine T.O. only instead of disrupting your team by acting like a baby, its ten times worse and its acting like a criminal.

Things like threatening other playersand coaches, maybe drugs in the locker, maybe being a bad influence to younger players.

For some reason young kids think its cool to be gangsta

We dont know maybe he will be an angel - I hope so - cause this guy is one of the most talented RB's in the draft.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And its just a 6th rnd pick butt, let me put it this way, imagine T.O. only instead of disrupting your team by acting like a baby, its ten times worse and its acting like a criminal.

Nah... I'd rather have Pacman than T.O. Pacman isn't a cancer in the locker-room... he's just not allowed to play.

And a 6th round pick is different than a 1st round pick. If a 1st round pick becomes a cancer, you've got to find a way to work around it. If a 6th round pick becomes a cancer, the team politely invites him to find another team to play for.

How many 6th round RBs are impact players in this league. I am not overly concerned about this guy one way or the other.

I think most folks would agree that this 6th round RB was a fairly good player.

http://www.nfl.com/players/terrelldavis/profile?id=DAV766905

He may be but it's not like we have a lot invested in this guy is all I'm saying. It's not like we need him to come in and carry the load or be the savior (see: KJ Carter, C. Dillon, C. Perry).

a 25-year-old thug RB. great. who the f**k let mike brown out again?

That's two in a row as far as I'm concerned.

I'm big fan of high character

That said, go look at his on-field stuff for a half second and tell me that he isn't a good risk where he was taken

If he were a 2nd round pick, my feelings on the matter would be quite different

Not much to add that hasn't already been said, good and bad. So this is all I'll say.

Yeah, it's a justifiable pick precisely because of the players talent and the round he was selected in. But there's the rub because these types of picks are always justifiable under those circumstances.

Don't we all wish this team would stop handing it's critics the very hammer they'll use to bash with?

BERNARD SCOTT (Running back, Abilene Christian)

Q: Heading into the draft, did you have any expectations or idea of when you might get picked or who might pick you?

BS: No. I was hoping my name would be called. I was waiting and it happened.

Q: The drawback to you may be your off-field incidents. How do you feel those weighed down your draft stock?

BS: I cleared up the issues of my past. All of the mistakes I have made, I have learned from them. I have become a better person. I am ready to put all of that behind me and move forward and come to Cincinnati.

Q: How much conversation did you have with the Bengals’ staff?

BS: I talked to the running backs coach (Jim Anderson) a couple of times.

Q: Did the Bengals bring up any of your past issues in their interviews with you?

BS: They asked me about it. They wanted to understand and talk to me about what really happened. Once we got that out of the way, we talked about sports.

Q: Did you find that to be the case with most of the other teams you talked to before the draft?

BS: Yes, that was the case. I am not ashamed to talk about what I did. I made those mistakes and I have to answer those questions and go forward from there.

Q: Can you explain the incidents?

BS: One was fleeing when a cop pulled me over in my car. Instead of pulling over, I drove home and then stopped. I was accused of stealing an iPod, which was dropped. I had a false identification charge when I showed my brother’s identification.

Q: Did you ever strike a coach?

BS: That’s a rumor, but it’s not true. I got into it with one of my teammates at practice. A big fight broke out. Somebody grabbed me from behind and I reacted by pushing that person away. I didn’t hit anyone and I didn’t strike anyone at all.

Q: What are your expectations now that the Bengals have seen fit to give you this opportunity?

BS: My expectation is to prove it to myself and to the Bengals that they made the right choice. The mistakes that I have made are in my past. I am ready to get up there to Cincinnati. Work hard and compete for a position.

Q: What do you know about the Cincinnati Bengals?

BS: I know that they have Cedric Benson returning at running back. I went to the same juco as James Johnson (Blinn Junior College). That’s about it.

Q: How have you grown from the mistakes of your past?

BS: Instead of reacting, now I know I have to think. I need to stay out of bad places and not let things get to me. I feel like now I can sense when something bad is going on, and I stay away from those places.

Q: Where are you now?

BS: We are having a draft party with my family at my aunt’s house in Dallas. We’re watching the draft and getting together.

Q: What was it like to hear your name called?

BS: I am lost for words. I still am, really. It’s a dream come true. It’s what I’ve been working for my whole life. I’m excited now.

Q: There are fewer and fewer picks, were you afraid of running out of chances or not getting drafted?

BS: Yes. I thought about that before the draft. My record was going to scare a lot of teams away from me. I was prepared for getting drafted or being a free agent

Q: Can you explain the incidents?

BS: One was fleeing when a cop pulled me over in my car. Instead of pulling over, I drove home and then stopped. I was accused of stealing an iPod, which was dropped. I had a false identification charge when I showed my brother’s identification.

Funny story. I work at a juvenile detention center and a kid was brought in under his brother's name. It was believed that he was his brother up until his hearing when his mother identified him in front of the judge.

Anyway... Scott didn't exactly lie, but he didn't tell the whole truth. That incident is why he was serving his 18 month probation. He didn't mention the off-field fight that was the reason he didn't play his senior season... nor the reported 5 arrests he's had.

Not much to add that hasn't already been said, good and bad. So this is all I'll say.

Yeah, it's a justifiable pick precisely because of the players talent and the round he was selected in. But there's the rub because these types of picks are always justifiable under those circumstances.

Don't we all wish this team would stop handing it's critics the very hammer they'll use to bash with?

Is this the hammer you're referring to? Because this is the tool I imagine Mike Brown using on season ticket holders.

My only question is this - are any of you going to give this guy a chance?

Or is any success he has going to be scoffed at?

I know I am already at that point with Ocho Droppo and Cheech....

He'll get his chance. The upside is blatant. The downside is felonious. Not much middle ground.

Perhaps he'll settle in and leave the junk behind? I think it ws a chumpy, Mike Brown kind of pick...

but. I will give it a chance...

It's gonna be one helluva fight for the #3 spot behind Benson and Russell. Whoever is the best kick returner probably wins out, but Bernard Scott has the chance to be a special player. He's had almost 80 total TDs the past 2 seasons, and that's pretty remarkable on any level of football. He'll probably be the best receiving RB on the roster, too. Scott is comparable to Chris Johnson, IMO.

I'm more then willing to give him a chance it's high risk high reward...if it works out we get a steal of a RB in the 6th...If it doesn't it's just another 6th rounder who doesn't make the team.

I give everyone a chance. In fact, I've actually defended the smallest and most heavily ridiculed scouting staff in the NFL from time to time....including today.

And FWIW, Scott isn't even my least favorite pick.

Who was?

Or is any success he has going to be scoffed at?

I know I am already at that point with Ocho Droppo and Cheech....

I'm more than willing to give the dude a chance. I'm just not at a point that I'm willing to believe he's actually a top 5 RB in this draft. Some say he is... I doubt it. He looks like a good change of pace back. Those are important. He could be like Derrick Ward and be a great compliment to Benson. I surely hope so.

I have only said, and I stand by it, that I am leaning toward thinking this pick will bust. If it does, you won't hear me crying - because I think it was a pick worth making, and you're not losing much value. I'm just trying to be realistic, and if he had 5 arrests in college, what's he going to do with all the money he makes?

I'm not going to say for sure one way or another... because no one knows yet. But I'm permitted my opinion, and until proven otherwise, I'm going to assume (like the 31 NFL teams that didn't select him) that he's probably a thug.

I'm more then willing to give him a chance it's high risk high reward...if it works out we get a steal of a RB in the 6th...If it doesn't it's just another 6th rounder who doesn't make the team.

Or...he makes the team, is a big reason for them having a playoff run, and then gets a DUI or in a bar fight, and Marvin suspends him for the stretch run, if the NFL doesn't, when they need him most. Then it's too late to find a replacement.

I guess we will have to pray that kind of thing doesn't happen.

Fair enough

Despite my unexpected positive-ness about this guy, I am indeed all too aware of the downside

I will say that his responses at the interview sounded very intelligent and mature, and for now, I'm gonna take that stance that he has turned it around

Naturally, we'll all have to wait and see

But this is definitely the one draftee I am going to be watching above all others, the one I am most pumped about.

It's probably his special teams skills that sealed the deal

Looks to me like Bernard Scott is very similar to what Kenny Irons was supposed to be. But Scott looks more natural catching the ball than Kenny did.

I think he makes the team for sure as a complement to Benson.

Then the other guys like Russell will all be competing with each other.