3rd Round #1: Michael Johnson

ArmyBengal

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a scouting report on him that was done at the beginning of the season and said he was a top 10 pick.

I think if he were a complete DE he would have been a 1st rounder for sure. In the NFL, I'm hoping he's Robert Mathis. If he turns out to be an effective situational pass rusher I'll be ecstatic! I think the Bengals have used Geathers and Justin Smith/Odom far too much to be effective at getting to the QB.

I'm hoping to see Rucker and Fanane more on 1st and 2nd down to keep Geathers fresh (long shot) and have Michael Johnson replace Odom on passing downs. I think a plan like that, combined with the addition of Maualuga, could easily see the sack total double (not all that difficult a feat).

Well, he does look like Tarzan.........

And he does not play like Jane...whoever said that has not seen him play. Heck even Eugene Monroe when asked who was his toughest opponent this years singled out Michael Johnson.

I can see why... watch Kazkal's YouTube video starting at 7:25. He is matched up against Monroe in 3 straight plays, and not only gets the better of him... but makes him look flat out bad.

And he does not play like Jane...whoever said that has not seen him play. Heck even Eugene Monroe when asked who was his toughest opponent this years singled out Michael Johnson.

I can see why... watch Kazkal's YouTube video starting at 7:25. He is matched up against Monroe in 3 straight plays, and not only gets the better of him... but makes him look flat out bad.

I thought I would amend my post with a more thorough analysis. The YouTube video is a highlight reel for Johnson... so despite the fact that he made Monroe look bad thrice... I thought I would do some due diligence and find out how the rest of the game went. All I can say is that for a 3rd round pick... it looks like he did damn fine against one of the best OT's in the draft.

If you care, you can read the whole game analysis. It's a bit dry though going play by play.

If nothing else... scroll down and read "The Verdict" specifically points 1) and 2) at the end of the article. It is what I feel is a very realistic view of Johnson, stating that he isn't an "everydown menace" but is a "truly elite talent" adding credence to my desire to see him be a Robert Mathis clone.

Link

It's a shame that were not playing the jaguars.

All of which helps to explain why I felt Eugene "Good but not Great" Monroe was overrated. As for Johnson, I've always looked at him as a boom or bust type, and that's not a bad thing the further down the board you go. Because nobody, including his critics, deny the upside he has. That said, it was a very weak draft, pass rusher was still considered a premium position the last time I checked, and MJ fell to the #70th pick. To me, that speaks volumes.

There is a possibility that with a guy, like this, that has so much natural ability and talent that he has never faced the type of criticism that he received during the draft. If he can use that as motivation to be more consistent, he will be an awesome player. You've got to love the fact that we have Zimmer as the DC to kick this guy in the ass as opposed to Bresh.

I think it's a solid pick at #70 and would be willing to bet that Zimmer was estatic to get him. Basically, we got 2 guys in the first 3 rounds that offenses will HAVE to account for. That can only help the defense as a whole.

He's easily the most athletic large player we've had on defense since Dan Wilkinson or James Francis. How many guys 6'7'', 266 pounds can run a 40 yard dash in 4.59 seconds (4.49, according to Detroit)? I'm not sure if they'll use him at DE or OLB, put I think he'll be a beast if all they ask him to do is get after the QB next season. I really, really like this pick in the 3rd round in watching a lot of GT football over the years.

I think he can be a 8-10 sack guy next year if the Bengals use him the way the Bears use Mark Anderson or the Broncos use Elvis Dumervil. The question is, who does he replace on obvious passing downs? My guess would be Geathers, where Johnson would be an instant mismatch against slower, much less athletic RTs. The good thing is that he played both ends for GT. For where we got him, he's the steal of the draft if his ability translates and Zim and company can coach him up.

if his ability translates and Zim and company can coach him up.

This is where I have confidence in the Bengals. Zimmer can, I believe, evaluate what this kid can and cannot do, then develop ways to fit him in to use his skill set to our advantage. The Patriots do this all the time and go deep into their roster, using guys for particular situations and downs.

Expectations are high.

He's easily the most athletic large player we've had on defense since Dan Wilkinson or James Francis. How many guys 6'7'', 266 pounds can run a 40 yard dash in 4.59 seconds (4.49, according to Detroit)?

Where have I heard this kind of thing before? ... Oh yeah. Ahmad Brooks.

Not saying there's a real comparison - but I will say that my hopes for Johnson aren't much higher than the incredibly high hopes I had for Brooks. What a waste.