3rd Round #1: Michael Johnson

ArmyBengal

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would REALLY like to see the Bengals' get one of the under-the-radar UC players today - Kevin Huber the P, Michael Mickens, Trevor Canfield (G), or DeAngelo Smith (CB).

Surprised Mickens is there and a load of unknown CB's have been taken...

Luigs or Shipley....gotta get one.

RB became less important with the Russell signing.

TE, I've whined for years to take a good one...I give up.

final comment on Johnson....Think of another DE, taken in the thrid who was a giant reach IMHO....Mr. Rucker....Johnson is a far superior pick than Rucker. At least they've evolved from those days of extreme-reaching.

There are to many players of higher value that still fill a need to take a Center here. Especially when they will be picking again within the next 8 picks...

Army is dead on point, here's a best player ticker so these guys who are panicking over a center can cool off, Marvin and Mike are pretty much looking at the same thing and theyre not going to reach for a center when all the good ones are gone

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...able/index.html

Their pass rushing was DOA and has been for years. That guy, if he were on Baltimore or Pittsburgh, would kill people. They had to take him, he shouldn't have been there, as much as I wanted a C, he was a no-brainer.

I don't have a problem with the players the Bengals are picking... and they certainly aren't reaching. They have in my opinion gotten the best players on the board at positions of need. The only complaint I have is that they didn't address what I feel was the biggest need (Center) until the 4th round.

I like Michael Johnson, and think he will flourish as a situational pass rusher (similar to the way Geathers did). And while that addresses one of the biggest needs the defense had, I would have preferred Caldwell with this pick. Yes, they got Luigs... but I think Caldwell was clearly the better player, and I have a major issue with the idea of starting a 4th round rookie at Center. I smell trouble there.

Sure, Caldwell wasn't the BPA. Johnson was... and since they were both areas of need, the Johnson pick makes sense. But I think I would have rather reached ever so slightly off the board and taken Caldwell. The Center dilemma is a more serious issue at this point.

All in all, I can't complain too much because the Bengals are addressing all of their needs with high value draft picks... but in my dream world I would rather have had Caldwell in the 3rd and Sidbury in the 4th than Johnson in the 3rd and Luigs in the 4th. Anyone agree?

All this guy needs is proper motivation and coaching, and I think Marvin and Zim will get the most out of him. Give me a 6'7'', 260+ pound kid who runs a sub 4.5 forty any day of the week. Johnson also had pretty good production in college, so he's not a developmental guy. He could easily in up being the steal of the draft.

All this guy needs is proper motivation and coaching, and I think Marvin and Zim will get the most out of him. Give me a 6'7'', 260+ pound kid who runs a sub 4.5 forty any day of the week. Johnson also had pretty good production in college, so he's not a developmental guy. He could easily in up being the steal of the draft.

IMO we got our steal in the 2nd round with Rey.

Couldn't agree more, Zim is already in this kid's head and he will get more out of him.

Well seems like M.Johnson has his own fire because of question of his play and the falling to the 3rd round in the draft...I think he may have had a bad motor in college but I look forward to see what Zimmer can do with him...If the guy wants to be a Star he has the tools to do so he just needs to use them...

Well seems like M.Johnson has his own fire because of question of his play and the falling to the 3rd round in the draft...I think he may have had a bad motor in college but I look forward to see what Zimmer can do with him...If the guy wants to be a Star he has the tools to do so he just needs to use them...

I'm not concerned about his motor because I view him as a situational pass rusher. If you can't stay motivated when you are only playing in certain situations, then you've got real problems... and I don't see that with this kid. I think many of the pass rushing woes will be repaired considerably between Maualuga and Johnson.

Tech fan here and I had to come over and tell you guys that you got a great player.

As for the critics saying that he took plays off I want to assure you guys that is just ridiculous. He is a great kid with a great attitude and he will play his heart out for you guys. I can't wait to see him in a Bengals uniform getting some reps.... I can now add Bengals to the must see games on sundays along with the Lions (the other Johnson).

His stats show that he is an incredible player and he has great speed and instincts. I think for the pros he needs to bulk up another 20 lbs but that will come since he has the frame for it.

Again great pick for you guys.

slideshow_966801_johnson02.JPG

Tech fan here and I had to come over and tell you guys that you got a great player.

As for the critics saying that he took plays off I want to assure you guys that is just ridiculous. He is a great kid with a great attitude and he will play his heart out for you guys. I can't wait to see him in a Bengals uniform getting some reps.... I can now add Bengals to the must see games on sundays along with the Lions (the other Johnson).

His stats show that he is an incredible player and he has great speed and instincts. I think for the pros he needs to bulk up another 20 lbs but that will come since he has the frame for it.

Thanks, but who is your NFL team?

Falcons fan....or anyone that plays the Cowboys (now thats harder with Tashard Choice and Keith Brooking playing for them)

Falcons fan....or anyone that plays the Cowboys (now thats harder with Tashard Choice and Keith Brooking playing for them)

I should have guessed. :rolleyes: