2nd Round: Rey Maualuga

ArmyBengal

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was desperately hoping that he wouldn't go to Baltimore or Pittsburgh, Baltimore, I was pretty certain, was going to pick Oher but i was on the edge of my seat with the Pittsburgh pick because it is like them to take an impact defensive player who falls to them regardless of need.

I say the best move is to allow Rey to adjust to the NFL first, before throwing the whole book at him as a rookie. Ultimately, I think that was the downfall of Ahmad Brooks.

Downfall of Brooks was bad choices,Bad conditioning and nagging injurys...had nothing to do with him being play tooearly.

I understand all of your points about Rey starting Day 1, but my opinion is that Jeanty is the best run-stuffing LB on the team and I think it's a little early to play him in the middle. We have to continue doing a good job against the run, especially while our offense develops some rhythm with all the new faces. I don't think they should "sit" Rey, but put him in the game at positions where you know he can succeed. He became our best pash-rushing LB last weekend, so I'd like to see him in place of either Dhani or Jeanty on obvious passing situations initially to get his confidence up, while he gets used to the speed of the game, before transitioning him to a full-time starter. He'll make plenty of mistakes as a rookie, regardless of where he plays.

I just don't want it to be a situation to where too much is thrown at him too fast, which leads to players thinking instead of reacting on the football field. To me, it's the exact reason that Ahmad Brooks didn't pan out here and Rey is coming to the Bengals with extremely high expectations, which only adds to the pressure (and mistakes) if he's thrown to the wolves immediately.

i'm not sure rey is as good a pass rusher as some of you think. he didn't get too many sacks in college, 9 for his career, and while that may be a function of the system he was playing in it certainly doesn't give any ammo to those who say he is now the best pass rusher on our team.

edit: happy i misread your statement you said pass rushing linebacker, not on the team, but i still don't think we can say that yet

I say the best move is to allow Rey to adjust to the NFL first, before throwing the whole book at him as a rookie. Ultimately, I think that was the downfall of Ahmad Brooks.

Downfall of Brooks was bad choices,Bad conditioning and nagging injurys...had nothing to do with him being play tooearly.

brooks downfall was his low IQ.

i'm not sure rey is as good a pass rusher as some of you think. he didn't get too many sacks in college, 9 for his career, and while that may be a function of the system he was playing in it certainly doesn't give any ammo to those who say he is now the best pass rusher on our team.

edit: happy i misread your statement you said pass rushing linebacker, not on the team, but i still don't think we can say that yet

Well, Maualuga can't be any worse in his pass rush skills than Jeanty and Dhani. Jeanty hasn't had a single sack in his 3 years playing for the Bengals, and Dhani has only 5 sacks in his 8 NFL seasons. I've not witnessed either of them getting anything remotely like consistent pressure on the QB when they blitz.

And while you might be right that Maualuga's pass rushing skills are being overstated, it is a consensus opinion that he is skilled at shedding blockers and is an above average blitzer.

Also, I haven't gone through his games to see how often he blitzed, but I have seen in many of his highlight reels that he is the first one in the backfield when blitzing, forcing the QB to throw it early or take off running resulting in another player getting the sack.

In my opinion, the sack stat is overrated. I want to know if he was good at getting pressure on the QB. That is how you get Int's, and Maualuga looks to be uniquely skilled at rushing the passer from the MLB spot... and I assume if they move him to SAM that won't change.

Well, Maualuga can't be any worse in his pass rush skills than Jeanty and Dhani. Jeanty hasn't had a single sack in his 3 years playing for the Bengals, and Dhani has only 5 sacks in his 8 NFL seasons. I've not witnessed either of them getting anything remotely like consistent pressure on the QB when they blitz.

And while you might be right that Maualuga's pass rushing skills are being overstated, it is a consensus opinion that he is skilled at shedding blockers and is an above average blitzer.

Also, I haven't gone through his games to see how often he blitzed, but I have seen in many of his highlight reels that he is the first one in the backfield when blitzing, forcing the QB to throw it early or take off running resulting in another player getting the sack.

In my opinion, the sack stat is overrated. I want to know if he was good at getting pressure on the QB. That is how you get Int's, and Maualuga looks to be uniquely skilled at rushing the passer from the MLB spot... and I assume if they move him to SAM that won't change.

That was my thought, too. Rey has a much quicker first step to the QB that anyone we have at LB and only Blackstock is even close. ESPN did a breakdown of him before the draft and McShay said that USC didn't ask him to blitz much in their scheme, but he constantly got pressure on the QB when he did rush the passer. Marvin has always wanted a big, physical SLB that can rush the QB in the Peter Boulware/Terrell Suggs mold (David Pollack) and Rey could be that type of player, until he ultimately moves to the middle.

Gotta look beyond the stats for one thing,He didn't start his freshman year and his senior he played within the system doing his job so others can make plays....So when given the roll 8 Sacks in two years is not too shabby for a MLB....Rey knows how to attack I don't think he'd have any problem rushing the QB from Slb.

he started for three years and had 9 total sacks, three were in the rose bowl his junior year aganist illinois. i will concede, as i did in my last post, that sacks are not the end all when it comes to evaluating a pass rusher. what i won't concede though is some of you maintaining he is anything approaching an elite pass rusher at this time, regardless of position. all that being said he may be the steal of the draft and i am excited to have him. he brings attitude and toughness and now that he felt he got snubbed falling to the second he will be even more focused on exercising his revenge.

i will concede, as i did in my last post, that sacks are not the end all when it comes to evaluating a pass rusher.

Don't concede too much my friend. I'm a firm believer in having a pass rusher who threatens the opposing QB with serious bodily harm if he catches him holding the ball in the pocket. The only way for that to happen is if he records sacks regularly, and does it in a viscous fashion.

i will concede, as i did in my last post, that sacks are not the end all when it comes to evaluating a pass rusher.

Don't concede too much my friend. I'm a firm believer in having a pass rusher who threatens the opposing QB with serious bodily harm if he catches him holding the ball in the pocket. The only way for that to happen is if he records sacks regularly, and does it in a viscous fashion.

very true, i was trying to give some of the other esteemed posters their due. ultimately you're spot on, if the qb does not fear for his life no amount of the pass rusher getting close will ever make him throw it early. if anyone can be viscious i do believe its #58 on our beloved bengals.

we all want a guy like Deacon Jones - "So each time he came over there, I tried to tear his damned head off". problem is, they're hard to find. heck, Jones was a 14th (!) rounder...

That was my thought, too. Rey has a much quicker first step to the QB that anyone we have at LB and only Blackstock is even close. ESPN did a breakdown of him before the draft and McShay said that USC didn't ask him to blitz much in their scheme, but he constantly got pressure on the QB when he did rush the passer. Marvin has always wanted a big, physical SLB that can rush the QB in the Peter Boulware/Terrell Suggs mold (David Pollack) and Rey could be that type of player, until he ultimately moves to the middle.

I think Rey is far more of a traditional MLB than a Suggs or Boulware. His role at USC was to anchor the middle, hence the lack of priority on sacks.

THe guys who can play the Suggs/Boulware is Geathers and Johnson. There is going to be some shuffling of positions, in my opinion.

In a 4-3, I see it like this.

Dhani - Rey - Rivers

Odom - Peko - Sims - Geathers

very true, i was trying to give some of the other esteemed posters their due. ultimately you're spot on, if the qb does not fear for his life no amount of the pass rusher getting close will ever make him throw it early. if anyone can be viscious i do believe its #58 on our beloved bengals.

Giving one their due is an admirable thing. Being right is even more so. I've witnessed time and time again how planting an opposing QB hard early in a game affects his performance. He starts hearing footsteps and releases the ball early, which translates into incompletions and/or interceptions.

I'm praying the Bengals defense will be greatly improved this season in terms of pressure on the QB. We gave up too many third and longs last season due to the lack of it. Played it too safe. Dropped too many men into coverage without adequate pressure. I think our defensive coaches realize this, and are taking the required steps in the correction of this problem.

i remember zimmer addressing the issue of not blitzing much last year as the need to get his guys fundamentally sound. it seems like bresh was not the task master, and it left the guys undisciplined. he also said that now that he feels more comfortable with the d's discipline he can "let the dogs loose". that's what i like to hear.

i remember zimmer addressing the issue of not blitzing much last year as the need to get his guys fundamentally sound. it seems like bresh was not the task master, and it left the guys undisciplined. he also said that now that he feels more comfortable with the d's discipline he can "let the dogs loose". that's what i like to hear.

IMHO Zimmer has a handle on the defense, and what needs to be done. Bresnahan simply grasped at straws. Occasionally he picked one, but for the most part he wasn't the man for the job.