2nd Round: Rey Maualuga

ArmyBengal

I dont know who Marvin was more excited about Reyrey or Fatass

Well... for my part, A. Smith was my favorite player outside of Curry in this entire draft, so I have to be pleased there. That said... My dream scenario involved Curry falling to the Bengals, and then them trading up to get Oher.

This scenario is actually better! They get my favorite OT, my 2nd favorite LB, and don't have to give up a 3rd round draft pick (which they better use for a Center).

So who am I more excited about? I feel like Smith was a #1 or #2 overall pick that fell to #6... and Maualuga was a top 20 pick that fell to #38. The value for both has been amazing. I don't know... I just know I'm pumped.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know who Marvin was more excited about Reyrey or Fatass

Well... for my part, A. Smith was my favorite player outside of Curry in this entire draft, so I have to be pleased there. That said... My dream scenario involved Curry falling to the Bengals, and then them trading up to get Oher.

This scenario is actually better! They get my favorite OT, my 2nd favorite LB, and don't have to give up a 3rd round draft pick (which they better use for a Center).

So who am I more excited about? I feel like Smith was a #1 or #2 overall pick that fell to #6... and Maualuga was a top 20 pick that fell to #38. The value for both has been amazing. I don't know... I just know I'm pumped.

Agreed. I didn't like the Smith pick only because im a defense loving person, but when i seen them grab Rey Rey (who i wanted at #6 two months ago) Im ecstatic.

Our O-line is instantly 10x better if we snag a C with our 3rd rounder.

We now have what i like to call "weapons to get the job done"

Benson and Palmer, Coles and Ocho-a**h***, Rivers and Maualaga, Peko and Sims, Hall and Joseph, White and Crocker.

and now that we can atleast put up a fight in the trenches i feel we really have a chance to go all the way.

i had to wait till today to comment on rey. i had to make sure i was not dreaming lol! this is a great pick, fitzgerald who is the best lb coach in the whole league will make this kid a monster. i think the bengals just found the leader on defense. the bengals had a very good 1st day to get 2 player that are ranked in the top 15 is just amazing, especially for this team!!

woah. finally woke up after school ball... checked nfl.com to see who we'd drafted, and OMFG we got ReyRey!!!! :bengal: Rivers, ReyRey and Jeanty will be fantastic together.

overall, very happy with our three picks so far. now let's hope we can get a good C with our second 3rd rounder.

woah. finally woke up after school ball... checked nfl.com to see who we'd drafted, and OMFG we got ReyRey!!!! :bengal: Rivers, ReyRey and Jeanty will be fantastic together.

overall, very happy with our three picks so far. now let's hope we can get a good C with our second 3rd rounder.

Dhani would start over Jeanty any day. After hearing Marvin interviewed on ESPN, the drafting of Micheal Johnson is going to open things up to a hybrid defense that openly switches from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and utilizes as many athletes as they can on defense. Tank Johnson can play DT in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4 and Michael Johnson can play DE in a 4-3 or OLB in a 3-4. They have the personnel now to do it.

I still think the 4-3 stays as the main formation they line up in and put me in the camp of NOT wanting to see Tank back in a 3-4 like he was in Dallas and did next to nothing in. Once this defense can bring it all together in the 4-3 and show an understanding of a pass rush, they can then incorporate more of the 3-4 look in the mix.

I'm still not sold on where our final standings in overall defense were at the end of the season. I don't think we actually have the #12 defense in the league.

I still think the 4-3 stays as the main formation they line up in and put me in the camp of NOT wanting to see Tank back in a 3-4 like he was in Dallas and did next to nothing in. Once this defense can bring it all together in the 4-3 and show an understanding of a pass rush, they can then incorporate more of the 3-4 look in the mix.

I'm still not sold on where our final standings in overall defense were at the end of the season. I don't think we actually have the #12 defense in the league.

Think of the possibilities though. Peko/Odom at DE Simms and Shirley rotating at NT and Tank/Geathers at DE then have starting LBers of Rivers, Jeanty, Rey Rey, and Dhani. Then you can throw Micheal Johnson in there for passing downs at OLB and maybe even move Odom to OLB on passing downs. There are so many schemes that can be played with now. Marvin has to be loving this flexibility.

I like Maualuga but , we just passed on Conner Barwin.

I thought Maualuga sucked in the Senior Bowl.

As I have said many times it not just who you take , its who you could have had.

We could have one of the best DE's in the entire draft and one of the better TE's and special team guys.

We didnt need a Damn LB.

We just traded finaly having someone that could rush the passer for a LB that will give us about the same level of play that Dhani Jones plays at.

Do you think that Barwin is going to be able to play at that level as a pro when he just switched to that position last season. I love the guy but I kinda have my doubts about him.

Yes, the picks do provide flexability, but Jeanty is on a one year deal along with Tank and Dhani isn't getting younger.

I think they just ensured they will still be able to run the 4-3 the way they want come next year...

Who would've ever thought we'd get Rey in the 2nd round? Rivers, Dhani and Rey will be awesome next year, and we needed another LB with Johnson and Jeanty both FAs. Our LB corp is now deep and talented, and probably the strength of the team. We have five starting-quality players and it should be a nice battle to watch in training camp.

Think of the possibilities though. Peko/Odom at DE Simms and Shirley rotating at NT and Tank/Geathers at DE then have starting LBers of Rivers, Jeanty, Rey Rey, and Dhani. Then you can throw Micheal Johnson in there for passing downs at OLB and maybe even move Odom to OLB on passing downs. There are so many schemes that can be played with now. Marvin has to be loving this flexibility.

Also have pass-rush guys in Blackstock and Henderson...

I think some of the second-levl like maxwell, hodge, Harrington and Rucker go bye-bye.

After reading all of this, I keep coming back to this uninformed statement:

We didnt need a Damn LB.

Your credibility went to zero when you floated this turd in the pool.

Well, that's the thing with drafting value over need. Did we need a better LB? Not necessarily, since our LBs were OK last year. But could we use a game-changing MLB? Hell yeah! Which is why I'm seriously looking forward to watching Maualuga play next year.

Honestly, with the picks they made, this could be the best Bengals D since 88. I still want another Tim Krumrie in the middle, but you can't have everything.

Well I know alot of people disliked the pick on FFB because he was only selection but as the 3rd came in (passrush) and 4th (center) people started to admit Rey was a steal and their happy to have him because the rest of the draft fell in their favor.

Yeah, I mean come on. Rey was projected by most mocks somewhere between 15 and 25. If he's on the board at 38, how do you not take him? I remember I was only paying half attention to the draft by then, so when the "best available" graphic came up and Rey's name was on it, I was floored.

For their 2nd round pick, they got a guy who slid half a round. For their 3rd round pick, they got a guy who slid a whole round. If something like that happens, you have to take the guy (except QB, maybe).

I'll go on record - other than Andre Smith (where I was kind of ambivalent), I have *no problem* with any of the picks through the 5th round (including the punter).