Aaron Curry possibly falling to 6?

Whur CHad At?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They HAVE GOT TO protect Palmer. Just look on youtube and watch the Saints/Lions preseason games. Palmer got beat to death.

There were a lot of factors in that. First you didn't have a healthy Levi playing, and hopefully with the trade rumors and him knowing he is about to lose his golden goose if he doesn't show up, Levi will be a different man this year. Secondly, the younger guys like Anthony Collins and Nate Livings lacked experience. Now they have a year under their belt and a year of NFL weight room conditioning.

The gap in talent between Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, and Andre Smith to the second tier guys like Oher, Britton, and Beatty isn't large enough for the Bengals to pass up on a great player like Curry. This is probably one of the deepest OT drafts I have seen in a lot of years and I would lose my lunch if I saw the Bengals pass on a guy like Curry to take a player out of need.

How about they take Curry because their linebackers, as a whole, suck? How about that?

LB is as big an issue for this team as Tackle. If Curry is somehow there, and they take him, I will most certainly not complain.

How about they take Curry because their linebackers, as a whole, suck? How about that?

LB is as big an issue for this team as Tackle. If Curry is somehow there, and they take him, I will most certainly not complain.

There it is. And for all of you blathering on about how the Bengals typically suffer due to a habit of drafting the so-called BPA, I'd say the opposite has been true, especially in the 1st round. Too often this team has selected players simply due to some impossible to ignore need or they've taken a flyer on a lesser player who offers higher upside. And while I can understand when teams due things like that later in the draft I can't bring myself to consider it when drafting in the Top 10.

Personally, I've settled on Andre Smith precisely because he plays a position that has to be addressed immediately, he has more upside than almost any other prospect worth mentioning, and depending on how the draft falls I believe Smith will probably qualify as BPA at #6. But Smith brings questions none of us can answer and if he's taken off the board due to those concerns I think you'd have to strongly consider selecting Curry.

When I read multiple posts that state flatly that drafting the best player available isn't something that needs to be considered I think it's clear some of you are guilty of overthinking the problem. This team can't be rebuilt in a single draft, and that's especially true if it makes a habit of passing on the best players available.

If your going to say that we need to look at Pittsburgh for their OLINE you havent watched much football. If I am mistaken Big Ben has been sacked more than any QB over his career. He has to make plays himself and not rely on his line.

We need a line dont get me wrong but if Curry is there we take him

Well I think there's some system/style differences there that are the big difference, as well as some coaching/front office personnel people that make the difference in Pitt as well, compared to here.

That said, I agree, I don't know how you can pass up on Curry if he's there. You roll with it and find a way to deal with your o-line problem.

The things I don't want to see happen Saturday that will doom the Bengals again:

Picking Andre Smith at#6 if Monroe or Jason Smith are there

Picking Andre Smith at #6 if Curry is there

Picking Michael Crabtree at #6 in any given scenario

Picking anyone other than Monroe, Jason Smith or Curry, if any of those 3 are there at #6 (and one of them should very well be)

Picking any WR or RB at #6

Picking BJ Raji at #6

So the question becomes - who do you pick at #6 if Monroe, Smith and Curry are all gone?

I'm guessing Andre Smith is the man and once again you've got the Bengals' waiting to see what falls into their laps instead of making something happen - and hoping for the best after he holds out of camp and comes in out of shape. This is assuming an unlikely trade-down scenario does not come up either.

I would still draft Mack or Wood or the top center available in round 2 or 3 regardless - preferably if Wood or Mack are there - you have to take one of them in Rd 2. But we all know how Brown likes his WR's and RB's in that spot.

I would hope someone like Donald Brown would be there in early round 3 for the Bengals' - or someone comparable - that's all they need right now if any.

I'm guessing Andre Smith is the man and once again you've got the Bengals' waiting to see what falls into their laps instead of making something happen - and hoping for the best after he holds out of camp and comes in out of shape. This is assuming an unlikely trade-down scenario does not come up either.

It's totally legitimate to be concerned about Smith. I think even his proponents are somewhat worried about his oddness. That said, it sounds like you think the Bengals should trade up(?). I disagree. Even in your own scenario, there are 3 players that you would be completely happy with if they are still there at 6. I have no idea if it's true, but many mocks indeed see one of those 3 players being available. I wouldn't be in favor of trading up because I don't see that it would be worth the extra pick required to go get a higher slot. If you're talking about trading down, I'm one of the many who would be happy to see that -- but I don't think it's gonna happen this year because (as is becoming the trend) while everybody appears willing to trade down, nobody seems to want to trade up. Finally, if you're talking about moving 85 in combination with a trade of slots, who the heck knows if that's even a possiblity??

I'm one of the guys that actually "wants" Andre Smith and I kind of get the concerns.

Here's my thing though, what EXACTLY are the concerns ?? He made a poor decision at the combine and left without notice ??

Ok, I'll give you that. What else ?? He ran without a shirt on and has man-boobs ?? Seriously ?? Surely we can find something in the game tape that we can fault right ?? NOPE... Surely he's had legal problems right ?? NOPE... Surely he's had other problems outside of the combine issue right ?? NOPE... He must be have done poorly in school and can't digest an NFL playbook then right ?? NOPE...

What's that ?? Nothing but the most dominant OT in the draft who saw his stock tumble due to a bad decision at the combine and man boobs ??

Sure I'll take that risk...

I'm one of the guys that actually "wants" Andre Smith and I kind of get the concerns.

Here's my thing though, what EXACTLY are the concerns ?? He made a poor decision at the combine and left without notice ??

Ok, I'll give you that. What else ?? He ran without a shirt on and has man-boobs ?? Seriously ?? Surely we can find something in the game tape that we can fault right ?? NOPE... Surely he's had legal problems right ?? NOPE... Surely he's had other problems outside of the combine issue right ?? NOPE... He must be have done poorly in school and can't digest an NFL playbook then right ?? NOPE...

What's that ?? Nothing but the most dominant OT in the draft who saw his stock tumble due to a bad decision at the combine and man boobs ??

Sure I'll take that risk...

I agree with you -- I have no problem with taking A. Smith, J. Smith or Monroe because I think any one of them is worth the slot and the o-line needs them. As between them, somebody smarter than I who watched a lot of college football is better prepared to get into the niceties of which is best. I think there are things to like/dislike about each. I do know (or at least think I know) that one of them will be there at 6 and I wouldn't complain about any of the 3.

You do admit you have some concern though. So do I. My concerns are just that he seems a little "off" at times. Not sure how to calculate the level of concern, but it's there.

It's totally legitimate to be concerned about Smith. I think even his proponents are somewhat worried about his oddness. That said, it sounds like you think the Bengals should trade up(?). I disagree. Even in your own scenario, there are 3 players that you would be completely happy with if they are still there at 6. I have no idea if it's true, but many mocks indeed see one of those 3 players being available. I wouldn't be in favor of trading up because I don't see that it would be worth the extra pick required to go get a higher slot. If you're talking about trading down, I'm one of the many who would be happy to see that -- but I don't think it's gonna happen this year because (as is becoming the trend) while everybody appears willing to trade down, nobody seems to want to trade up. Finally, if you're talking about moving 85 in combination with a trade of slots, who the heck knows if that's even a possiblity??

It's why I am so interested in this draft - unless things come clear over the next few days - who knows what's going to happen with those first 5 picks - usually those are pretty solid by now. Right now no one even knows who's going #1 unless a pre-draft signing takes place later this week.

As for the Bengals' "sitting on their hands" per the norm - will give them credit that they haven't done a lot of that this off-season (and I'm guessing Marvin has something to do with that). I also can't blame them for there being no trade scenarios available, but we'll see. Unless Sanchez or Stafford fall to #6 (possible) not sure there will be any opps.

I like Andre Smith - I question whether the Bengals' have the structure, players and environment to keep him motivated. That really concerns me a lot.

Yep, that's why I said, "I kind of get the concerns"...

I'm just not sure how that all adds up and how much of what was told was really the case ?? I'm just not going to be one of these idiots who makes posts about how the guy is going to be a bust because he has man-boobs. How many people make it a habit to watch 330+lb men run with their shirts off ?? I'd guess not many, but if they did, I would bet a large amount of cash that most of them have the same body style. How many competitive body builders that are just ripped to no end weight over 330 pounds ?? Why is it so hard to believe a big guy like that is a little soft around the torso ??

My personal concerns are not related to his decision to blow off the combine, his much-documented man boobs, his questionable decision to run topless or the fact that he's recently switched agents. I see him as a RT in an extremely deep RT class. As I've said before, I believe we at least two capable players at the position already on the roster. Even for those that disagree and say that we need to draft a tackle, the two most significant questions surrounding Andre Smith in my mind are what position he translates to in the NFL and his work ethic. The work ethic question alone is enough for me to not want this guy, despite his ability and the fact he "dominated the SEC". The last player that was drafted as high as an OT with a questionable work ethic after physically dominating people in college was Mike Williams from Texas, and we all know how that turned out.

In my mind, there are 3 future LTs with 1st round grades in this draft and they Smith, Monroe and Oher. The #6 pick is going to be the highest paid non-quarterback on our entire roster, so let's make sure it's a player that has the pedigree to be an impact player and future leader of the Cincinnati Bengals, instead of a guy with so many questions who "might" end up being an above-average to good RT. Eugene Monroe should be the pick, if Curry is not there. I really see Andre Smith falling in this draft, where owners are more conscious of their investments than ever before in a down economy. I think that Andre Smith could be a good value for some team after the #6 pick, but I'm hoping that Mike Brown doesn't bet the Franchise on Smith. As good as Willie Anderson was, he led us to one playoff appearance in his career as a 1st round pick at RT and I don't believe that Andre Smith will ever be as good as Willie.

In my mind, there are 3 future LTs with 1st round grades in this draft and they Smith, Monroe and Oher. The #6 pick is going to be the highest paid non-quarterback on our entire roster, so let's make sure it's a player that has the pedigree to be an impact player and future leader of the Cincinnati Bengals, instead of a guy with so many questions who "might" end up being an above-average to good RT. Eugene Monroe should be the pick, if Curry is not there. I really see Andre Smith falling in this draft, where owners are more conscious of their investments than ever before in a down economy. I think that Andre Smith could be a good value for some team after the #6 pick, but I'm hoping that Mike Brown doesn't bet the Franchise on Smith. As good as Willie Anderson was, he led us to one playoff appearance in his career as a 1st round pick at RT and I don't believe that Andre Smith will ever be as good as Willie.

This was you on April 2nd ("Teams Drafting Ahead of Bengals" thread):

"My ONLY reason for not wanting Andre is the fact that I think we have future stars at OT already on board in Whitworth and Collins. That said, I'd rather have Andre over Monroe or any WR and that seems to be what we're going to be looking at when the Bengals finally get on the clock."

I'm not doing this to pimp you, you're not alone. Just using this example to point out how this draft has the ability to make pretty much everybody second, third and fourth guess everything.

And, for the record and the sake of this thread, if Curry is there at 6 I have a hell of a time passing on him for any of the LT's - mainly because I prefer drafting defense ahead of offense if everything else appears equal. I wouldn't complain about Curry, Smiths or Monroe.

Charlie Casserly just reported that he believes that Curry will be the #1 pick. He said he is shocked that has not been any negotiations with Stafford yet, NONE. He said this is very odd being that there should be some contact by now. Casserly has expierence negotiating contracts with top prospects Super Mario and Reggie "Overrated"Bush before the draft.

I guess Jim Schwartz just came out and said we need a MLB.

This was you on April 2nd ("Teams Drafting Ahead of Bengals" thread):

"My ONLY reason for not wanting Andre is the fact that I think we have future stars at OT already on board in Whitworth and Collins. That said, I'd rather have Andre over Monroe or any WR and that seems to be what we're going to be looking at when the Bengals finally get on the clock."

I'm not doing this to pimp you, you're not alone. Just using this example to point out how this draft has the ability to make pretty much everybody second, third and fourth guess everything.

And, for the record and the sake of this thread, if Curry is there at 6 I have a hell of a time passing on him for any of the LT's - mainly because I prefer drafting defense ahead of offense if everything else appears equal. I wouldn't complain about Curry, Smiths or Monroe.

I've already admitted that I go back and forth on Andre Smith all the time. HairOnFire probably knows this best. I am intrigued by Andre Smith's ability and upside, but at the end of the day he is still only a RT in my mind and has too many questions outside of his play on the field. I was shocked to read today that he travels with a 30-person entourage that is said to be increasing in size and includes a personal hamstring stretcher. He could be anywhere from a colossal bust to the best RT in the game and I'd rather have a player with less of a bust factor. At the time of that April 2nd post, there were rumors about Eugene Monroe's knee that look to be unconfirmed at this point. If it comes down to drafting a player who has had injury issues versus a player with "boom or bust" potential, I'll take the latter and that was what I was going off of. From what I've read, the only knock on Monroe is he lacks that "killer" attitude, but he's clearly the most polished OT in this draft. For the record, I still don't want to see the Bengals draft an Offensive Lineman at #6, but if it's a "must", then I'll take Monroe and I'm standing by that statement through the Bengals pick next Saturday.

Curry is obviously my first choice, followed by Monroe, based purely on the fact that they may not offer the upside of maybe an Andre Smith or a like player, but that are players that I don't think the team will regret drafting in 3 years. In no specific order, I like Raji, Jason Smith, Maybin, Maclin and Crabtree after that and would be happy with any of those choices. If we can somehow trade down, I would be OK with Andre Smith or Orakpo, as it means that we would have an additional early pick that could possibly allow us to break even if the gamble on Andre/Orakpo fails.

I've already admitted that I go back and forth on Andre Smith all the time. HairOnFire probably knows this best.

Yup, and the reason I refrain from bashing you for your constant flip flopping is because I'm in no position to make the concerns about Smith's personality go away with a wave of my hand.

I am intrigued by Andre Smith's ability and upside, but at the end of the day he is still only a RT in my mind and has too many questions outside of his play on the field.

But here's where I do want to bust on you a little because IMHO even if you consider Smith only as a RT he's worthy of consideration at #6. Furthermore, even though I see Smith as a RT I can't say for certain that he can't continue to play LT in the NFL or for that matter that he isn't a far better LT prospect than Monroe or Jason Smith, as Charley Casserly claims.

I'll be the first to admit-I did NOT read this entire thread.

Also, I'm here cuz I'm bored, wanted to wish Billy a happy b-day, and decided to see what the hot topics were here.

Then I seen this.

To be honest, if I were the Browns new GM, and knowing our glaring need to stop the run, there's NO WAY I'd pass on Curry if he fell to us at #5.

And if I did, I'd be ran out of town (you know, history repeating itself and whatnot) in 3 years.

But to be honest, if Curry falls to #5, chances are we're picking him up.

So there's multiple reports out now saying the Bills want Andre Smith and are looking to trade up ahead of the Bengals.

If this happens, I assume the logical pick is Monroe - I can't imagine 3 OT's going in the top 5.

I'm also still not convinced the Chiefs will take Curry - but there simply isn't a worthwhile QB in this draft to take that high. Sanchez....maybe. Stafford has bust written all over him.

Shula are you thinking the Chiefs are taking a QB even though they have Cassel or are you just saying there isn't much in the way of QB's in this draft ?? I didn't know if you forgot they got Cassel. I actually like Stafford, but it would depend on how he's handled. If the Lions are in the line of thought he's going to be like Ryan and Flacco were last year, I would be cautious. Stafford strikes me as the guy you want to sit a year and let him watch. He's an underclassman as well and I think would benefit greatly if Culpepper can stay healthy for a season...