Aaron Curry possibly falling to 6?

Whur CHad At?

Does anyone remember the last time we made the play-offs?

We had one of the best lines in the NFL then,Rich Braham,Levi Jones( before injury and made the Pro Bowl),Willie Anderson(Pro Bowl),Eric (traitor)Stienbeck.

In order to win in the NFL you MUST PROTECT YOUR QB and take down the other teams QB!!!

That is THE most proven formula that there is.

You're preachin' to the choir here brother! Too bad many others just can't wrap their heads around the concept because they're too taken with the whole "BPA" B.S.

The Bengals MUST address the OL early and often. In fact I believe next Saturday's picks should be devoted to nothing but that!

Definately. LT in the first round, center in the second round.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to win in the NFL you MUST PROTECT YOUR QB and take down the other teams QB!!!

Tell that to the Steelers or most teams who have won the superbowl in past 10 years...

know that most people do not follow the draft the way that I do but, you can not take a LB with your 1st rmd pick

Tell that to the Patriots or Steelers two of the most successful franchises in the past 10 years...

You cannot get a quality starting LT in the 2nd or 3rd round - and even if you could find one of those guys that have what it takes ,chances are, you are going to spend a year before he is ready to start.

Colts seem to get by without first round tackles and their high powered offense no Defense type of team like we were in 2005 :P

Few 1st rnd LT's are busts ( when compaired to any other positon) and there is nothing more important for the Bengals than protecting Carson's blind side.-- This is even mort important because of his injuries

Doesn't Linebacker have one of the lowest bust ratios in the first round?

Look at last year we drafted Rivers in the 1st rnd he was the #1 LB in the draft, he gets hurt and Brandon Johnson (a 5th rnd pick of the Cardinals) comes in and plays better that better than Rivers IMO, or at least just as well.

Remember posting a list while back about all linebackers that have been taking in rounds 1 and 2 and most of them turn out to be very good & elite players ya Brandon played solid but not good enough for any team feel he was worth a second to sign him....

Too bad many others just can't wrap their heads around the concept because they're too taken with the whole "BPA" B.S.

I haven't seen very many people who would be against taking a tackle in the first if he is worth the selection.... The only way I would be against a tackle is top 3 are gone and we are left with Oher.

Im all for taking a tackle, but if one of the elite fall in your lap you must take him. The consensus top 5 guys are Stafford, Curry, JSmith, Monroe and Orakpo if one of those fall to 6 other than Stafford if youre the Bengals you need to snatch him and move onto the next round, just my opinion

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d...mp;confirm=true

I just don't get why everyone is so down on Anthony Collins. He played very well at LT last season and he's also a guy that would've been a 1st round draft pick this year, had he not come out early. He was a CONSENSUS FIRST TEAM ALL-AMERICAN his final college season as a true Junior, above any of the OTs in this year's draft. Had he been drafted in the 2nd round instead of the 4th, a lot of people would say we already have our LT of the future. There's no reason to think he won't be even better this upcoming season.

As far as RT goes, I think we can get a quality player in the 2nd round or later, if the Bengals are certain that either Collins or Whitworth can't play there. Whitworth is getting paid around 6.5 million dollars...He needs to play on the outside and he's already proven that he can do it as an NFL rookie. If he's not the answer, remember that very few teams in the NFL have drafted RTs in the first round, as it's a position that's easier to find quality players in later in the draft. The Titans' Michael Roos, who was an All Pro at RT last season and is widely considered the best RT in the game, was a 5th round pick in 2005.

My biggest issue with the offseason is that the Bengals didn't bring in any veteran offensive linemen. Any rookie that we draft is going to have problems next year against the teams in our division and it's even more of a factor for OTs. To that fact, it will not matter if we draft the RT of the future in the 1st round or get another solid OT prospect like Collins in the 4th round, in a draft that has a lot of depth at the position.

I just don't get why everyone is so down on Anthony Collins. He played very well at LT last season and he's also a guy that would've been a 1st round draft pick this year, had he not come out early. He was a CONSENSUS FIRST TEAM ALL-AMERICAN his final college season as a true Junior, above any of the OTs in this year's draft. Had he been drafted in the 2nd round instead of the 4th, a lot of people would say we already have our LT of the future. There's no reason to think he won't be even better this upcoming season.

Agree on all points. I would prefer to go OL by all means, but if the good OL are off the board, then you gotta do what ya gotta do. And Collins was surprisingly good last year.

I'm still hoping Monroe falls, actually. If he doesn't, then Orakpo should be there. I still put money on them taking Andre Smith, but man I hope Mike Brown busted open the piggy bank to hire a shrink to see if that guy is another Levi Jones, who gets paid and quits.

As far as RT goes, I think we can get a quality player in the 2nd round or later, if the Bengals are certain that either Collins or Whitworth can't play there. Whitworth is getting paid around 6.5 million dollars...He needs to play on the outside and he's already proven that he can do it as an NFL rookie. If he's not the answer, remember that very few teams in the NFL have drafted RTs in the first round, as it's a position that's easier to find quality players in later in the draft. The Titans' Michael Roos, who was an All Pro at RT last season and is widely considered the best RT in the game, was a 5th round pick in 2005.

My biggest issue with the offseason is that the Bengals didn't bring in any veteran offensive linemen. Any rookie that we draft is going to have problems next year against the teams in our division and it's even more of a factor for OTs. To that fact, it will not matter if we draft the RT of the future in the 1st round or get another solid OT prospect like Collins in the 4th round, in a draft that has a lot of depth at the position.

I agree with everything youre saying too, I think they may be waiting out some guys who are still out there on the free agent market, guys who average but think theyre top tier

Agree 100% my friend. I believe Collins was one of the best last year and is probably better than some of the guys coming out this year. If Aaron Curry comes to 6, you DONT pass on him. He is one of the best players to come out in the last 10 years.

You can find a solid tackle in rd 2 like Jamon Merideth or Britton. We can even trade up into the first round and grab a tackle. This is the deepest OT class I have ever seen.

Dont get your panties in a bunch if they take Curry or someone else....well maybe Maclin, then I'd be steaming mad.

Agree on all points. I would prefer to go OL by all means, but if the good OL are off the board, then you gotta do what ya gotta do. And Collins was surprisingly good last year.

I'm still hoping Monroe falls, actually. If he doesn't, then Orakpo should be there. I still put money on them taking Andre Smith, but man I hope Mike Brown busted open the piggy bank to hire a shrink to see if that guy is another Levi Jones, who gets paid and quits.

Agree re Collins. Although he did play OK, he will surely improve. Levi was a Pro Bowl, Elite LT. If we can get close to that with Collins, then we should be fine.

Looking over Andre Smith, Monroe and Oher (Jason Smith will be gone), I'd take Monroe as he seems the most versatile to me.

I am not unhappy with the way Dennis Roland played, so with Collins, Whit, Roland, Kooistra, Levi and NEW T, we can be solid with talent to spare.

If we get Curry or Orakpo...then a guy like a C in r2, or Britton if he is there, will also solidify our O-line.

With a week to go, I am hopeful.

I'm getting psyched about the thought of getting a guy like Aaron Curry. Rashad Jeanty and Brandon Johnson will both be UFAs next season and I'm fairly certain the Bengals will not pay both, especially if they play as well this upcoming season as they both did in '08. That means that LB would be a top priority next season and why not get the "safest" pick in the draft and probably the best all-around LB to enter the draft since Derrick Brooks? I don't think he'll make it to #6, but if he's there you have to take him, even if it means waiting a couple of rounds to get a RT.

Reedy of the Enquire has us taking Andre Smith over Curry

Uh Yeah f**king right dude

Unless Curry can block on the offensive line I'm not for taking him. We as fans are always looking for the sexy pick; we need an offensive linemen a lot more then we need another linebacker. In my opinion Andre Smith will be a better impact player for the Bengals next year then Curry. On the defense side the main priority on that side of the ball is getting some what of a pass rush, drafting Curry does not help with the pass rush situation. On the offensive side of the ball our main priority is protecting the quarterback and running the ball better, drafting Andre Smith helps in both of those situations. Getting Curry and not Andre Smith does not make a lot of sense when you break down what the Bengals top need is.

Assuming we're all on board with taking a C in round 2, it's unbelievable that some of us think the offensive line will be improved next season with two rookies and a second year player all starting. It's never good if your offensive line has that many young players in the lineup at the same time. I'd much rather keep the momentum rolling from the 2nd half of the season with the guys already on the roster. We were able to run the ball effectively the 2nd half of the season, when Collins replaced Levi Jones and that was even without Whit. The pass protection was better, too. I'd rather see us sign a NFL veteran like George Foster, who could be a bridge to a 3rd or 4th round pick like Fenuki Tupou, Augustus Parrish or Troy Kropog in a year or two. People weren't excited the last time we made a move like that in signing an Eagles castoff in Bobbie Williams and he's been our most durable and most consistent offensive lineman over the past few seasons.

The most important aspect of an offensive line is cohesion and chemistry; It even trumps individual talent at the NFL level where you see the best offensive lines consist of players who have been playing together for a few seasons. If we in fact roll the dice with all of these rookie offensive lineman that people want to see drafted to come in and start next season, I can't see Carson being comfortable with that much youth protecting him, especially in our division.

From PFT:

Peters also seemed to admit that maybe he didn’t give 100 percent on every play last year because he wasn’t happy with his contract.

“I was thinking about it sometimes,” he said. “If you get beat on a play and you think about your contract. It doesn’t affect me that much. I thought about it some early in the year but later on in the year it wasn’t a big deal.”

Get ready for this if Andre is selected

Tell that to the Steelers or most teams who have won the superbowl in past 10 years...

know that most people do not follow the draft the way that I do but, you can not take a LB with your 1st rmd pick

Tell that to the Patriots or Steelers two of the most successful franchises in the past 10 years...

You cannot get a quality starting LT in the 2nd or 3rd round - and even if you could find one of those guys that have what it takes ,chances are, you are going to spend a year before he is ready to start.

Colts seem to get by without first round tackles and their high powered offense no Defense type of team like we were in 2005 :P

Few 1st rnd LT's are busts ( when compaired to any other positon) and there is nothing more important for the Bengals than protecting Carson's blind side.-- This is even mort important because of his injuries

Doesn't Linebacker have one of the lowest bust ratios in the first round?

Look at last year we drafted Rivers in the 1st rnd he was the #1 LB in the draft, he gets hurt and Brandon Johnson (a 5th rnd pick of the Cardinals) comes in and plays better that better than Rivers IMO, or at least just as well.

Remember posting a list while back about all linebackers that have been taking in rounds 1 and 2 and most of them turn out to be very good & elite players ya Brandon played solid but not good enough for any team feel he was worth a second to sign him....

Too bad many others just can't wrap their heads around the concept because they're too taken with the whole "BPA" B.S.

I haven't seen very many people who would be against taking a tackle in the first if he is worth the selection.... The only way I would be against a tackle is top 3 are gone and we are left with Oher.

I dont ever know what you are trying to say ??

1) Nobody understands that you MUST protect your QB and take out the other teams QB more than the Steelers do(they blitz on every play)- yes you could say that their O-line gave up a few sacks last year( because they were pretty banged up) but they have consistantly had one of the best O-lines in the NFL and consistantly sack the other teams QB- which is why they they are always at the top in defense.

2)The Patriots took a LB for the first time since Bilecheck has been there - in fact ,since he has been there I dont think that they have even taken a LB in the 1st 3 rnds (whith the exception of last year)- I even saw an article last year on how the Pats had mosty used older LB's and had not taken one early and they were expected to break tradition last year.

AND they run a 3-4 deffense ITS NOT THE SAME THING

3)about the O linemen in the 2nd or 3rd round- Last time I checked we have Alexander at O-line(who has admitted that he needs a 1st rounder to make a LT) We do not have the Colts O-line coach -Ugoh gave up a good bit of sacks at first- and the colts did not look as good last year as they did pre- Ugoh.

You also have the fact that the Colts have a very different type of offense which , is more like a run and shoot.

4)Linebackers have one of the higher rate of busts - especially when you think of all of the LB's that are hybrids.

And there is the amount of injuried LB's - Hell our 1st rnd LB didnt even finish the year.-LB's have a much higher rate of injury , season ending injury and career ending injury that OT's do.

To all of you talking about drafting the flashy LB instead of the solid LT

We took the Flashy Ki Janna Carter -instead of OT Tony Boselli

Does anybody remember Melvin "rutin" Tutan ??????

I shouldnt have to say anything else-- we took the flashy guy in the first that year and settled on the "just as good "MELVIN TUTAN in the 2nd rnd and it was one of the worst mistakes the team ever made.

When you look at all of the failed QB's that we had in that time it was as much Mel's fault as it was the QB's becuase no QB can throw passes from their butt.

5)The thing about not getting a 2nd rnd for Brandon Johnson makes no sense- I was saying that Johnson played as well as Rivers and we gave up nothing for him-,

You want a good LB - put a good D- line in front of him to keep players off of him and he can make plays all day.

The same is true at QB- you want a good QB - put a good O-line in front of him.

I am telling you that You can not Risk Carson Palmer on a whole bunch of maybes.

The Bengals do not even have a C, Bobbie Williams had a good year, Whitworth sucked,last year's RT gone, Anthony Collins only played in a couple of games at the end of the year - and the coaches are talking about him playing RT and drafting a LT because even they dont think he can play LT( and they are not sure he is strong enough to play RT)

So the O- line which is the most important place to be good at is one big question mark - Not such a good idea to get a bargin basment LT.

If your going to say that we need to look at Pittsburgh for their OLINE you havent watched much football. If I am mistaken Big Ben has been sacked more than any QB over his career. He has to make plays himself and not rely on his line.

We need a line dont get me wrong but if Curry is there we take him

If Curry is there we take him, unless Eugene Monroe or Jason Smith are there. With the rumors going around about Stafford, Sanchez, and Crabtree all going top 5???

1: Lions: Stafford

2: Rams: Jason Smith

3: Chiefs: Crabtree

4: Seahawks: Sanchez

5: Browns: Orakpo

6: Bengals.......

If that is how it goes down I would take Monroe over Curry, simply because at that level, LT is more valuable than OLB and I grade both players pretty even otherwise. I will laugh my ass off if this is how it goes down, I will still be shocked to see the Chiefs NOT take Curry because he is a perfect fit and the Seahawks not take which ever LT is there at 4.

Again I come back to IF J. Smith, Monroe, Curry and Orakpo are all gone by 6 and we cannot swing a trade down into the 10-13 range then you take Maualuga at 6 rather than Andre Smith who looks like the reincarnation of Mike Williams from the Bills.

The idea of taking Curry comes from the whole "best player avaliable" thing.

How many times have the Bengals had a pick at the top of the draft and ignored their needs and took a guy that was "the best player avaliable"?

You always hear words like ,he's an ,"impact player" , this is how we got guys like Peter Warrick, Ki-Janna Carter,ect.

The best example of the "best player avaliable" stratagy, (besides the Bengals) is MATT MILLEN, this is how Millen like an idiot ended up with 3 WR 1st rnd picks with, no QB to throw the ball to them , no O-line to block for them even,and no team to go along with his WR's, - he "followed his board" and took the "best player".

If you look at all of the teams that have won a Super Bowl, the are COMPLETE, by that I mean they have filled their needs, they do not have week spots ,especially at the most positions, OT, QB, DE, CB,DT.

They have a quality starter at every position.

And they protect their QB an take down the other guys QB.

This is a deep draft in LB's , there are guys like OLB Jason Williams 6-2 240 and runs a 4.45 40 yd dash and he is ratted as a 4th to 5th round pick, although he should go higher, '07 107tkls,16.5 tkl for loss,8 sacks-08'67 -14-4 and 14 carreer forced fumbles(ncaa record).

To draft a LB when, you really dont need one that bad becuse you think he's an "impact player " or the "best player avaliable" is how MATT MILLEN got fired and the Lions have needs at every position and why they are picking 1st.

Its how we got guys like MELVIN TUTAN.

How many times have the Bengals had a pick at the top of the draft and ignored their needs and took a guy that was "the best player available"?

That theory landed us Chris Perry. I'm done with that.

If Matt Stafford "falls" to us should we take him?

Wouldnt he be the "best player avaliable"? The highest ranked player on the board?

See how much sense the "best player avalable" makes?

If Stafford fell to the Bengals they should take him...not to hope that he plays eventually but because even if they can't work out a trade that day, surely someone will make a trade for him after or maybe later in the draft.

Let's try and make this simple by using an analogy people can better understand. Let's say you collect sports cards and you are trying to complete a set. You only need card #344 who is Leonard Pope and worth about 25 cents. You go to the flea market with only 25 cents in your pocket in hopes of finding the card you need to finish the set, and you find one dealer that has a 25 cent box of cards. You start looking through the box and find a Leonard Pope card you need but you also find a Barry Sanders rookie card. You don't really need the Barry Sanders rookie card but do you pass it up for the Leonard Pope card? HELL NO! Eventhough you came there meaning to just get the card to finish your set, you know full well getting the Barry Sanders card is a much better value, and the right thing to do. You can eventually trade that Barry Sanders card for 5000 Leonard Pope cards.

All talking heads agree on one thing, Curry has the lowest 'bust' possibility of all the top draft picks this year. If the Bengals need anything right now, it's a high draft pick that contributes. I made a post in the "Biggest Bust thread" outlining every top 10 draft pick in the history of the Bengals and how many disappointments there were. If this franchise is going to start moving in the right direction it is going to take one thing and one thing only...good personnel on the field!

So yes, if Stafford fell to the Bengals I would either expect a trade or I would expect them to take him. Now as far as Sanchez goes, I would hope for a trade but wouldn't expect them to draft him. Sure some say Sanchez 'could' be a top 5 pick, most believe he will only be so according to a teams needs, and not by the merit of his talent. If Sanchez falls to the Bengals I can see them trading down with Denver picking up their 12th and a third rounder. With the 12th pick there are still going to be many options for the Bengals (Monroe, Rey-Rey, Cushing, Maybin) and then they can maybe package some picks together with the extra third to move back up into the first and get the center they want or some other player.

The trade with Denver scenario would be ideal and I would grade the Bengals draft successful if it happened. There are many pairs of first rounders I would be happy with:

12th- Monroe and late first- Beanie Wells

12th- Maybin and late first- Britton

12th- Moreno and late first Oher

Basically any combination of an OT, LB, RB, or C would be ideal. I am just not sure if any of the centers are worthy of taking in the first round when one can be had at the top of the second. This draft can really be a make or break point in the season! Yes, I said season, because of how much impact it could make on the roster. Imagine getting something like Monroe and Cushing in the first followed by Wood in the second? You are talking about 2-3 possible starters in the first two rounds of the draft!

Saturday can't come soon enough!

How many times have the Bengals had a pick at the top of the draft and ignored their needs and took a guy that was "the best player available"?

I would argue we did the opposite, we traded down and took Perry, they thought Rudi would hold out and panicked, maybe it did force Rudi's hand to show up for camp but it at the end of the day was a panic move not take the BPA.

I would argue we did the opposite, we traded down and took Perry, they thought Rudi would hold out and panicked, maybe it did force Rudi's hand to show up for camp but it at the end of the day was a panic move not take the BPA.

Exactly. I'm fine with RB insurance...in the 3rd. Drafting insurance in the 1st is pretty stupid.

I'm OK reaching shifting players a couple of picks on your board to accommodate need. And I wouldn't actually draft a QB (though I would be most happy to have a Dirty Sanchez auction if he's there at 6). But I don't like the idea of reaching half a round to take an OL, even though I fully recognize that OL is a massive need right now. Problem is that NFL rosters turn over so fast, next year you'll have a different need, and it's so unpredictable you can't afford to reach and make mistakes.

That said, if Monroe falls as is increasingly likely, BPA meets need and everyone's happy.