RB Gary Russel signed off waivers

TJJackson

I saw his release on the bottom line and wondered whether the Bengals would take a chance on him. Great pickup by the team and it just opened up the draft for us that much more. Russell is one of the best short yardage running backs in the NFL and we instantly just got more physical in the backfield. What better way to become more like the Steelers than to sign some young and still productive ex-Steelers? I've read some knocks on his intelligence, character issues from college and a tendency to not have his weight in check during the offseason, but it's a free look at a very talented football player, at worst.

...By the way, just trolled some Steelers boards and they seem to be stunned by the release of Russell. I like it!

Nice pick up! i particularly like the piece about kcik returning he adds.

He's not going to add any kick returning. He's not going to be returning kicks for us unless it's as a last resort if we have a bunch of injuries.

He's a pretty good RB though. Like the move.

He's not going to add any kick returning. He's not going to be returning kicks for us unless it's as a last resort if we have a bunch of injuries.

A bunch of injuries? Like who? We had Glen Holt returning kicks and last I saw he is not on the team any more. Who was his back up? I'm not saying he is the answer in the return game but at least he offers that versatility.

A bunch of injuries? Like who? We had Glen Holt returning kicks and last I saw he is not on the team any more. Who was his back up? I'm not saying he is the answer in the return game but at least he offers that versatility.

I think he's saying Andre Coleman is the 1st option on kickoffs, I think thats what Pong is saying

Andre Coleman is 36 years old now! He was a pretty good return guy for the Chargers, though. I think the Bengals will finally draft a pure KR/PR this year because we need a punt returner, too. Hopefully, it's a DB that can also play the Nickel.

I meant Caldwell, cut me some slack please

uh-oh.gif

Good signing ?!?! I really don't know much about the guy, so whatever works.

Is this guy really good enough to keep us from drafting a RB ?? Or just enough to keep us from drafting one early on ??

Here's the Sports Illustrated Scouting Report on Russell, from prior to the '07 draft.

BIOGRAPHY: Sophomore rushing totals were 186/1,130/18, with 16/168/1 receiving. Academically eligible in .06 and did not play football last season.

POSITIVES: Strong, athletic ball carrier who displays a lot of natural skill. Runs with good vision, follows blocks and finds the open space on the field. Possesses the agility and speed to turn the corner, runs with good lean.

NEGATIVES: Only saw extensive playing time for one season in college. Was never a feature back or starter at Minnesota.

ANALYSIS: A good-sized ball carrier with a lot of skill, Russell has the physical skills to play at the next level. The ability to digest an NFL playbook is a big question mark. Offers potential but will need a lot of time.

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent

From the Combine that same year:

Former Minnesota RB Gary Russell (flunked out of school) was a sleeper headed into this draft, but he's completely off the board after his horrific combine. Russell came into the combine at a flabby 229 and ran in the 4.8 range while showing zero burst over the first 20 yards. He had about 4 months to get ready for this moment of his life/career and he blew it. This is a classic example of how a guy who shows no work ethic in the classroom carries the lack of work ethic into his preparation for his career. Then again, he was also probably a product of a very good system at Minnesota.

I think we should still draft another RB, but Russell was a very reliable short-yardage back for Pittsburgh last season and scored a few TDs, including in the Super Bowl and he's still only 22 years old. At worst, he's probably the only other RB currently on the roster than can be trusted to carry the load if Benson is injured. Factoring that in with the bonus of him being a kick returner and he's a pretty safe bet to make the team.

I don't believe the Bengals will draft another "big back" but they could look for a versatile, change of pace/speed back later in the draft to compete with DeDe Dorsey and JJ Johnson. Cedric Peerman or Jeremiah Johnson might be ideal for that role, as players the Bengals might target after the 3rd round.

I think we should still draft another RB, but Russell was a very reliable short-yardage back for Pittsburgh last season and scored a few TDs, including in the Super Bowl and he's still only 22 years old. At worst, he's probably the only other RB currently on the roster than can be trusted to carry the load if Benson is injured. Factoring that in with the bonus of him being a kick returner and he's a pretty safe bet to make the team.

I don't believe the Bengals will draft another "big back" but they could look for a versatile, change of pace/speed back later in the draft to compete with DeDe Dorsey and JJ Johnson. Cedric Peerman or Jeremiah Johnson might be ideal for that role, as players the Bengals might target after the 3rd round.

I agree 100%, we need a scatback, Darren Sproles type back

Last good scat back the Bengals had was Eric Sleeping with Bienemy. Too bad Crystal Perry hasn't been able to fill that role.

Last good scat back the Bengals had was Eric Sleeping with Bienemy. Too bad Crystal Perry hasn't been able to fill that role.

One of my all-time favorite Bengals was Eric Bieniemy. He could simply do it all and was awesome on Special Teams. It just seemed like he always made first downs, kind of like Kenny Watson a few years ago. The good news is that there are a lot of players like that available this year, with my personal favorite being Tyrell Sutton of Northwestern. He may not have the top-end speed of some of the other backs but he's a tough to tackle and excellent in the passing game. He reminds me a lot of DeAngelo Williams from the Panthers.