Bengals Sign Tank Johnson

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you have absolutely NO credibility

If there's anyone on this board who understand the term "no credibility", it's Agreen

Wow you guys are all bashing each other...It is funny.

I will agree that Thorton's best sack season was better than Tank's but I do not think he is better.

Wow you guys are all bashing each other...It is funny.

Shut up asswipe! :D

Anyway... I'm okay with the Tank signing because of his youth. I was also a fan of bringing back Thornton because of the role he played at DE last year. I would love to see him back as a DE on running downs and bring in Geathers on passing downs... but that doesn't appear to be the plan.

Great pickup, Tank is a waste in a 3-4 and thus he was greatly underutilized in Dallas, he is a great fit for our scheme and as for him being a "bad guy" he hasn't done anything more serious than a traffic violation in almost 3 years. Tank Johnson was arguably the most important player on the Bears Super Bowl team a few years ago when they were running a 4-3 and had the most dominent defense in the league, they haven't been the same since he was cut.

Great pickup, Tank is a waste in a 3-4 and thus he was greatly underutilized in Dallas, he is a great fit for our scheme

That's a possible explanation. I hope it turns out to be true. He was a very good player in Chicago... but I wonder how much of that was because he was playing next to Tommie Harris when he was the best DT in the NFL.

I guess we'll find out. I think he'll prove more than adequate as he'll be asked to be in a rotation, and will provide play of similar caliber to Peko and Sims. But what I doubt is that he'll be the game changing defender that turns this team around.

I'm not nearly as excited about this pickup as some. I'm also not against it. It's simply an adequate move to get an adequate player that frees the draft up some. So... I'm on board. That's about as pumped as I'm going to get.

2003 he got 6 sacks by fluke.... 6 years later you'd rather have Thorton over Tank Johnson? WOW. Another reason why you have absolutely NO credibility. Thorton may be a leader but he's a great big sack of s**t.

How weird is this?

Whenever I read a post written by agreen I'm always reminded of the smell of crayons.

I'm not nearly as excited about this pickup as some. I'm also not against it. It's simply an adequate move to get an adequate player that frees the draft up some. So... I'm on board. That's about as pumped as I'm going to get.

Yup. They got younger....but not rookie young. So there's that. And they got the third player for the rotation we all want. I get that too. But why THIS guy? Is Tank Johnson really special enough for a move like this to make sense when you know what's coming.

Zimmer is still the key to this move for me. He obviously feels he can get the Tank Johnson that played for the Bears as opposed to the backup that played for the Cowboys. Seeing as how we run a 4-3 like the Bears did when Tank played there and Zimmer has another year with his players in the system here, I will give benefit of the doubt to Zimmer.

I honestly think this move takes us out of any DT being taken in the draft all the way around.

I think Shirley's development takes a hit as well...

2003 he got 6 sacks by fluke.... 6 years later you'd rather have Thorton over Tank Johnson? WOW. Another reason why you have absolutely NO credibility. Thorton may be a leader but he's a great big sack of s**t.

How weird is this?

Whenever I read a post written by agreen I'm always reminded of the smell of crayons.

Thorton over Tank Johnson (in a 4-3)? Let's think about it.... Okay... Wow! You may be better educated, good for you. But when it comes to common sense.. I got ya in that department.

Guys this is exactly the type of signing we've been waiting for. f**k Thorton, at this point in his career, he's garbage. Two years ago Tank was considered one of the best. He went to Dallas and wasn't taken advantage of. Obviously he doesn't play well in a 3-4... Rey Rey should be our #1. He will be a STUD in the NFL.

Tank is just what they have needed .

A penetrating DT to go along with Peko and Simms.

He put up some nice at in college at Wash. 35 tackles,18.5 tackles for loss, 10 sacks

10 sacks from the DT spot is saying something. Its more than most of the DE's in this draft.

I wanted the Bengals to draft this guy.

I am glad they signed him , I wish they would have signed him for a couple of years, instead of 1 yr.

With the exception of signing Ashley Ambrose this could be the best move the Bengals have ever made in free agency.

In other this could be one of the few times that the Bengals didnt make a bad move in free agency.

Nice post.

I like it. It's a 1 year deal, and it looks like the Bengals are trying to do well thought out decisions withour breaking the bank!

Agreed. And I see no reason why they couldn't offer JT something similar and let them compete for the backup role.

Are you serious? Has everyone forgot how TERRIBLE JT was? C'mon you can't be seriouls... He should've been cut two years ago. He shows a little flash on his way out and now you're all high on JT. He's the same sack of s**t he's always been. An average player at best. Tank has WAY more talent than JT.

You may be better educated, good for you. But when it comes to common sense.. I got ya in that department.

((sniff))

Yup, there it is again.

I tell ya' it's the smell of crayons....with maybe just a hint or two of Colt 45 thrown in.

Thorton over Tank Johnson? Hahaha. I've heard some silly s**t, but this is CrAZY talk. You're either smoking some good stuff or you're the one who's been drinking on some malt liquor!

Be honest with yourself man.. You're comparing a JT of 2003 to a Tank Johnson of 2008. There's 5 years difference there. JT's old and garbage. Weather permiting (injury free) I garauntee you that Tank has a better year than JT's 2008 numbers!

Let my add my thumbs up to the signing. I think he will fit well in the rotation with Peko, Sims, et all. Fanene, if he doesn't get cut, moves back to end, which is more to his strength. I hesitate to write it, but it does look like the Bengals have some type of plan heading into the draft.

They still need to address the OL, FB and cut loose Chad Nut Ballo. We'll see if I still think the way I do after the draft, but I can't argue with what they have done in the off-season to this point.

You're either smoking some good stuff or you're the one who's been drinking on some malt liquor!

If I know me it's both.

Be honest with yourself man.. You're comparing a JT of 2003 to a Tank Johnson of 2008. There's 5 years difference there.

Well, if you're talking about age I've already conceded that point without argument. My problem with the signing centers on who was signed and whether, based soley upon his play, he's really worth the risk. And there's the rub because I don't see a special guy. Instead, all I see is Tank Johnson.

I garauntee you that Tank has a better year than JT's 2008 numbers!

Keep in mind that agreen has also previously guaranteed that Michael Crabtree will have over 1600 catches this coming year

I know, I know, you'd think he meant practice totals plus game totals plus bass fishing totals....but he didn't.

You're either smoking some good stuff or you're the one who's been drinking on some malt liquor!

If I know me it's both.

Be honest with yourself man.. You're comparing a JT of 2003 to a Tank Johnson of 2008. There's 5 years difference there.

Well, if you're talking about age I've already conceded that point without argument. My problem with the signing centers on who was signed and whether, based soley upon his play, he's really worth the risk. And there's the rub because I don't see a special guy. Instead, all I see is Tank Johnson.

Man, Hair. Everybody's accusing you of smoking the "good stuff". Ol' Tip of the Cap to you for that, assuming it's true. An ice cold Old E never hurt nobody. In fact, the combination might be a Sunday afternoon requisite for Bengals fans who have been around since the early 90's.

I've often wondered how much of Tank Johnson is actually Tank Johnson, and not Tommie Harris. I guess we'll find out for sure this season, but I'll admit I'm less excited about Tank in '09 than I was for JT in '03. For me, it's close to even in comparing Tank and JT in '09.

I would've much rather had a BJ, but now we'll either gets Crabs or Manboobs.

Man, Hair. Everybody's accusing you of smoking the "good stuff". Ol' Tip of the Cap to you for that, assuming it's true.

I get the stuff they name.

In fact, I'm currently working something called..... Jedi.

Completely legal, mind you.

After all, I'm a role model.

:huh:

Once heard of a Jedi Ninja that's tangerine scented. Bay area clone.

Speaking of the Bay area, do you guys still rather have Justin at 8-9 million a year on the books instead of Odom? One of those things people don't talk about anymore that was a hot topic this time last year. I think that if Tank is what they say he is, he'll help out Odom tremendously and vice versa.