Bengals Sign Tank Johnson

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally dont care about his baggage, GOOD MOVE. Now we dont have to spend a pick on a DT, with Peko, Sims, and now Johnson, that should make for a pretty good 3 man rotation.

You forgot big man Shirley as well. I think signals the end of two things, one John Thorton won't be back, and secondly you can put to rest all the BJ Raji talk.

I like this move. If the Bengals can go out and sign a veteran DB to play the nickel corner they will be pretty set on defense and allow them to pick best player available instead of reaching for any need.

id rather have tank than thornton. he's younger and more athletic. thorntan was alright, but in the bengals scheme he just didn't get to shine like he did when he was on the titans.

No way in hell that Thornton is a better pass rusher than Tank Johnson.

Welcome to hell.

Thornton led ALL NFL DT's with 6 sacks in 2003, and has produced at least 4 sacks in a season three times. Tank Johnson has never led NFL DT's in any category, has produced more than 4 sacks in a season only once, and in two seasons with the Cowboys managed just 3 sacks....the same number John Thornton produced in a few weeks last season after being pressed into emergency duty as an elephant LDE.

I would much rather have a 27 year old Tank compared to a soon to be 33 year old Thornton.

I can't fight those numbers. But lets be clear. If all we're talking about is a 1 year contract for a depth player I'd rather have Thornton. He can help you outside as well as in, he's a solid character guy, and he's been a team leader. As for Tank, not so much.

The pundits are all calling this guy a "vocal leader" and a player who will play much better in Cincinnati's 4-3 than he did in the Cowboy's 3-4. He might be this year's Ced Benson if he reverts back to his Bears form, minus the guns and DUIs. I actually like the move and the Sims/Tank battle for playing time should be a good one.

BJ Raji maybe just slid some more, it would appear.

I really don't know what to think about this signing, but will give Zimmer the opportunity to work with him. If it wasn't for Zimmer being "in the fold", I would probably blast this signing. There is always the standard, "well at least it frees up the draft"...

Agree also with what Thornton gave us last year in the role of elephant DE. When he was in there, he provided the pressure that was lacking all season. I'm not saying I wanted Thornton back long term or anything, but how they give up the leadership and veteran presence for a one year deal on a questionable guy I'm just not sure of.

Forget Raji (I'm kind of glad for that) and hope for the best...

Thornton has been a below average DT for the last 2 years. I did like what I saw from him out of the DE position but I think Rucker can be just a good. Tank is a lot better DT right now than Thornton. I like him as a locker room guy but the guy just don't have what it takes to play in the middle.

Tank is just what they have needed .

A penetrating DT to go along with Peko and Simms.

He put up some nice at in college at Wash. 35 tackles,18.5 tackles for loss, 10 sacks

10 sacks from the DT spot is saying something. Its more than most of the DE's in this draft.

I wanted the Bengals to draft this guy.

I am glad they signed him , I wish they would have signed him for a couple of years, instead of 1 yr.

With the exception of signing Ashley Ambrose this could be the best move the Bengals have ever made in free agency.

In other this could be one of the few times that the Bengals didnt make a bad move in free agency.

I don't see this ending well.

The Bengals' already have Chad, Henry and Tank, just get Pacman and we're set.

What has Tank done in the last 2 years? What has Chris done besides his seat belt ticket in past 2 years?

Your like the people on PFT stuck in the 2006 offseason.

I can't fight those numbers. But lets be clear. If all we're talking about is a 1 year contract for a depth player I'd rather have Thornton. He can help you outside as well as in, he's a solid character guy, and he's been a team leader. As for Tank, not so much.

Don't forget that last season Thornton lost his title as defensive captain. Never a good sign.

No way in hell that Thornton is a better pass rusher than Tank Johnson.

Welcome to hell.

Thornton led ALL NFL DT's with 6 sacks in 2003, and has produced at least 4 sacks in a season three times. Tank Johnson has never led NFL DT's in any category, has produced more than 4 sacks in a season only once, and in two seasons with the Cowboys managed just 3 sacks....the same number John Thornton produced in a few weeks last season after being pressed into emergency duty as an elephant LDE.

2003 he got 6 sacks by fluke.... 6 years later you'd rather have Thorton over Tank Johnson? WOW. Another reason why you have absolutely NO credibility. Thorton may be a leader but he's a great big sack of s**t.

Nice move btw... I love it. Let's hope he's not another Sam Adams.