Tank Johnson visits Bengals

HAPPYJAQ

I've always had the sneaking suspicion that the Bengals were looking to upgrade the DT position. This pretty much confirms it. I wonder if the Raji thing had anything to do with it, but with the Tank visiting, you have to at least believe that the Bengals are doing their due dillegence on B.J. right about now.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/beng...33-f81087a17129

Hard to believe he's still only 27 years old. Not sure if I'd like him as a FA signing or not. I think he got a bum rap for all of the guns at his house...Just look at Plaxico. All of these guys have weapons.

At least he's not giving alcohol and weed to teenage girls, hurling 40s at vehicles, partying out of state at the club in his Bengals jersey while brandishing pistols or riding around the streets of Cincinnati with fellow drunken teammates. Based on that, he deserves a good look at least, right?

What do you guys think?

Of the two, Raji has far fewer character flaws... but Tank doesn't require a 1st round draft pick.

Tank Johnson is going to cost the Bengals a lot less too. I'd rather spend a million or so on a veteran like Tank with the risk if he screws up they don't lose much, than spend a first on Raji, have him screw up and be out a draft pick and all his high priced money.

Hard to believe he's still only 27 years old. Not sure if I'd like him as a FA signing or not. I think he got a bum rap for all of the guns at his house...Just look at Plaxico. All of these guys have weapons.

At least he's not giving alcohol and weed to teenage girls, hurling 40s at vehicles, partying out of state at the club in his Bengals jersey while brandishing pistols or riding around the streets of Cincinnati with fellow drunken teammates. Based on that, he deserves a good look at least, right?

What do you guys think?

Tank had been previously in trouble for aggravated assault and resisting arrest. Also... of the 6 guns in his possession, two were assault rifles.

And by the way... not a good idea comparing to Plaxico, since he'll be doing time.

Of the two, Raji has far fewer character flaws... but Tank doesn't require a 1st round draft pick.

Tank Johnson is going to cost the Bengals a lot less too. I'd rather spend a million or so on a veteran like Tank with the risk if he screws up they don't lose much, than spend a first on Raji, have him screw up and be out a draft pick and all his high priced money.

...But is Tank Johnson really that much of a better player than, say, Pat Sims? The fact that they're even sniffing around a player like Tank tells me that there is more than what meets the eye and the Bengals have some real questions about at least one player who is currently on the roster. If Sims is a rotation guy only, than Raji has to be the pick. Two years ago, many Bengals fans would have been beside themselves at the mere thought of adding a young, stud 332-pound defensive tackle that consistently commands double teams.

I remember fans from last year thinking that the Bengals missed terribly on Dorsey and Ellis (while Rivers was a consolation prize, in the eyes of many). Fast forward one year later we have the chance to add a player that's better than both in Raji, IMO.

...But is Tank Johnson really that much of a better player than, say, Pat Sims? The fact that they're even sniffing around a player like Tank tells me that there is more than what meets the eye and the Bengals have some real questions about at least one player who is currently on the roster. If Sims is a rotation guy only, than Raji has to be the pick. Two years ago, many Bengals fans would have been beside themselves at the mere thought of adding a young, stud 332-pound defensive tackle that consistently commands double teams.

I remember fans from last year thinking that the Bengals missed terribly on Dorsey and Ellis (while Rivers was a consolation prize, in the eyes of many). Fast forward one year later we have the chance to add a player that's better than both in Raji, IMO.

You're talking about 330+ lb guys...they all do rotations. Having Sims, Peko, Shirley, and Tank would be ideal and everyone could stay fresh.

After further review, Tank is only 310 so maybe he would be a DT during passing downs.

You're talking about 330+ lb guys...they all do rotations. Having Sims, Peko, Shirley, and Tank would be ideal and everyone could stay fresh.

After further review, Tank is only 310 so maybe he would be a DT during passing downs.

Yeah... Tank would not be brought in to be that Haynesworth guy that Marvin was talking about. He would be a rotation guy. I fully expect Peko and Sims to be the starters. If they bring in Tank, I expect him to be a rotational guy, with Shirley continuing to learn how to play, getting limited playing time.

That's an improvement over last year... but it's not as if Tank is Tommy Harris.

Yeah... Tank would not be brought in to be that Haynesworth guy that Marvin was talking about. He would be a rotation guy. I fully expect Peko and Sims to be the starters. If they bring in Tank, I expect him to be a rotational guy, with Shirley continuing to learn how to play, getting limited playing time.

That's an improvement over last year... but it's not as if Tank is Tommy Harris.

He would NEVER even consider coming here to be the 3rd or 4th DT in the rotation, after starting for the mighty Cowboys last season. As usual, if the Bengals want him, they'll have to pay him what he thinks he's worth, otherwise he'll wait for Training Camp casualties and go for the best offer then. I really like what he brings to the table, compared to our other guys, though.

He would NEVER even consider coming here to be the 3rd or 4th DT in the rotation, after starting for the mighty Cowboys last season. As usual, if the Bengals want him, they'll have to pay him what he thinks he's worth, otherwise he'll wait for Training Camp casualties and go for the best offer then. I really like what he brings to the table, compared to our other guys, though.

In a good DT rotation "starter" is merely a title and playing time is split pretty evenly among the tackles where the guys playing the best get more reps.

Money he deserves? I didn't even know he was a FA till this....doesn't seem like it's a big market for his services...

Yea, but he also isn't John Thorton. He may not have the leadership, but his talent would be an upgrade at the position!

Tank has been clean for two years now and the thing he was cut for (going 60 in a 35) is something that I have done before, I would love this pickup.

I am leaning this way also, but I am still a little iffish about picking up a guy that has already been in trouble with GODel.

Good deal.. I'd take him. Chris Henry, Cedric Benson (I, AGreen, hooked up with his GF last night by the way lol), and Tank Johnson would be great for the team. We need attitude. Now all we need is to bring in Pacman for a look (if he's still available) and get Odell Thurman back in line and we be going to the SB BABY!!!

In all seriousness (the hookup IS serious :)), Tank would be great for this team. We need a big mouth, big presence guy on the D-line. Guys, I'm telling you, we're a couple players away from have a SOLID defense finally! Geathers, Odom, Peko/Sims and Tank Johnson, WOW!! Throw in one more LB **crosses fingers** (Rey Rey) with Dhani and Rivers and our front 7 is a good look.

On top of that, imagine how great our corners are gonna look this year with a front seven that puts pressure on the QB.

According to the article he was a backup in Dallas last year. He only had 22 tackles and one sack, so I can't imagine he's going to be asking for a big pay day.

If we can get tank for the right price then it would be a good move to bring him in. He has had some trouble in the past so thats definitely a concern, but its not like this is a pacman situation were he continues to get in trouble.

I really don't know what to think about this signing, but will give Zimmer the opportunity to work with him. If it wasn't for Zimmer being "in the fold", I would probably blast this signing. There is always the standard, "well at least it frees up the draft"...

It's a good signing. Johnson might compete for a starting spot.

I believe he wins it. Solid signing. Now I wish they could do something for the offensive line to help protect Carson and open more running lanes.