teams drafting ahead of Bengals

I don't really care what any coach, player, or anyone else from any organization has to say at this point. It's all bullsh*t and they aren't (most of the time) going to come right out and say they are going after "this guy" unless they are sitting at the top of the draft and this year, even that is in question. I don't believe anything coming out of any of their mouths and that includes the Bengals.

Anyone posting what anyone from an organization says as a "definitive" has about the same odds of that "definitive" coming true as they do hitting the lottery. It will be definitive when they make their pick, but not at ANY time before.

I would be more than happy with a trade down and pick up Maualuga and another pick as I think THAT is what would be best for this team. What I'm getting at with A. Smith is, if we stay at #6, he's the guy I want hands down.

Yeah, it's all smokescreens this time of the year...and for good reason. Teams are simply not willing to tip their hand, unless it's the Top pick and occassionally you'll even see a surprise there. I saw Mayock's mock early that had the Chiefs getting Monroe at #3, who Mayock refers to as "the best pass-blocking OT to enter the draft since Joe Thomas". He had Seattle then getting Curry, but said it will be a close call between him and Sanchez.

It's funny how this draft has come full circle, with Andre Smith and Michael Oher. Both were considered at one point to be Top 10 picks, then it looked like they might be there in the middle-to-latter part of the 1st round and it now looks like both will be Top 10 picks again.

Blindly assuming that Mayock is on to something and the draft shakes out the way he has it, with the exception of Seattle choosing the better value at QB in Sanchez over Curry and also thinking Cleveland takes Raji (interesting side note: He didn't have Crabtree or Orakpo in the Top 10 and had DHB as the first WR off the board to Oakland), how would you guys rank Andre Smith, Oher and Curry as potential Bengals picks? For the record, Mayock has not budged on his belief from several weeks ago that the Bengals will take Andre Smith.

1. DET - Matthew Stafford

2. STL - Jason Smith

3. KC - Eugene Monroe

4. SEA - Matt Sanchez

5. CLE - B.J. Raji

6. CIN - ?

It's funny how this draft has come full circle, with Andre Smith and Michael Oher. Both were considered at one point to be Top 10 picks, then it looked like they might be there in the middle-to-latter part of the 1st round and it now looks like both will be Top 10 picks again.

Blindly assuming that Mayock is on to something and the draft shakes out the way he has it, with the exception of Seattle choosing the better value at QB in Sanchez over Curry and also thinking Cleveland takes Raji (interesting side note: He didn't have Crabtree or Orakpo in the Top 10 and had DHB as the first WR off the board to Oakland), how would you guys rank Andre Smith, Oher and Curry as potential Bengals picks? For the record, Mayock has not budged on his belief from several weeks ago that the Bengals will take Andre Smith.

Well, there was a significant period of time where Andre Smith was damn near a lock to be the Lions pick at #1 overall. He didn't drop out of that spot until the Lions started talking up taking a QB instead of OT (I still say they take Stafford). Smith contiinued to fall for other reasons but NEVER because of anything someone could fault in his game play.

How would I rank Oher, A. Smith, and Curry at #6 ?? I would immediately take Oher out of the equation to start. Curry would be a very interesting option to have and I think it would be very difficult to pass on him, but I think Jeanty does better than average at that spot and we also have some solid depth there. To be honest, if they are truly looking to add someone at one of the linebacker spots, I would have to hope for Maualuga to help the MLB positon. I just think Andre Smith provides more to our immediate need and furthers what we all know Carson needs in order to stay upright and not bloodied up.

My wants at this point:

Trade down to hope A. Smith is still there for the taking, but if not the pick should be Maualuga.

If they stay at #6, A. Smith is who I want without much thought.

The trade down for additional picks is EXACTLY what this team needs to further filling more of the holes we have. One of the biggest things it would allow is to be able to actually TARGET the best FB in the draft for a pick in the 4th or even give more consideration to Huber. Extra picks would be prime at this point.

Well, there was a significant period of time where Andre Smith was damn near a lock to be the Lions pick at #1 overall. He didn't drop out of that spot until the Lions started talking up taking a QB instead of OT (I still say they take Stafford). Smith contiinued to fall for other reasons but NEVER because of anything someone could fault in his game play.

How would I rank Oher, A. Smith, and Curry at #6 ?? I would immediately take Oher out of the equation to start. Curry would be a very interesting option to have and I think it would be very difficult to pass on him, but I think Jeanty does better than average at that spot and we also have some solid depth there. To be honest, if they are truly looking to add someone at one of the linebacker spots, I would have to hope for Maualuga to help the MLB positon. I just think Andre Smith provides more to our immediate need and furthers what we all know Carson needs in order to stay upright and not bloodied up.

My wants at this point:

Trade down to hope A. Smith is still there for the taking, but if not the pick should be Maualuga.

If they stay at #6, A. Smith is who I want without much thought.

The trade down for additional picks is EXACTLY what this team needs to further filling more of the holes we have. One of the biggest things it would allow is to be able to actually TARGET the best FB in the draft for a pick in the 4th or even give more consideration to Huber. Extra picks would be prime at this point.

Another solid post, but I'm taking a closer look at this. Oher has been defined as physically, the best LT in this draft and a real LT prototype. The only real questions surrounding him are related to his penchant for taking an occassionally play or two off. Some also have questions about his personality and upbringing, but that really has nothing to do with how he plays the game of football. In that respect, I think the book deal hurt him, although it tells you something about his god-given talent and his ability to deal with adversity to become one of the best football players in the country. Additionally, I wonder how he would rate if HE had played his career in the well-decorated Alabama program instead of one of the perennial SEC doormats in Ole Miss.

It's obvious that all of these guys have some warts this year, and I hate that. I do think that the media has allowed for Oher to be downgraded and Andre Smith upgraded. He's an equally dominant football player. I'm not sure I'm completely on the Oher bandwagon, but check out this YouTube. Although it's mostly Pass Pro, the thing that really jumps out to me is his recovery ability on the couple of plays he's beat on. Definitely not the Levi Statue of Liberty pose. His quickness and upper body strength are unbelievable. Once he has his hands on a defender, it's over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjM8bL0X9P4

how would you guys rank Andre Smith, Oher and Curry as potential Bengals picks?

1. DET - Matthew Stafford

2. STL - Jason Smith

3. KC - Eugene Monroe

4. SEA - Matt Sanchez

5. CLE - B.J. Raji

6. CIN - ?

i'd be happy with either of those three i guess, although curry has never really been a pass rusher and that's a position we need to improve. but as a successor for dhani at Mike, i'd gladly take him.

as for your mock draft, i think KC needs to fix the D, ergo they'll pick curry. as for cleveland, they need pass rush badly, so i think they'll lean towards orakpo. they already have a pro bowl DT in rogers.

WOW! Never YouTubed Andre Smith before now, but this guy might be the real deal. I know I've bashed him a lot, but the proof is there. He's relentless and nasty, without a doubt. I still wonder if he's an NFL LT, but you have to maybe wonder that about all of these guys. If the Bengals are convinced that his head is on straight, I'd be happy with the pick (if the Bengals decide they need an OT at #6). This YouTube is definitely worth watching and the play at the 3:17 mark is one of the best football plays I've ever seen a college offensive lineman make (although you have to quietly wonder about an illegal procedure no-call). The thing that seperates him from Oher is he is actually looking to make big hits on people and he is willing to make multiple blocks downfield. I haven't watched a lot of Alabama football this year, but I can see why he might've been considered for the #1 overall pick a few weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md-EZ6TOWyw

Happy, I was about to post the same link. That's where I see the difference in A. Smith. He looks to be WANTING to deliver a blow. He looks more aggressive in his approach. That play you were referring to is beastly.

Yeah, you guys have sold me. The more I watch on this kid, the more impressive he seems to me.

I do have a couple of questions, though. At only 6'4'', he seems a bit on the short side as an OT. Do you all think he has the potential to get markedly better or will he reach his peak early in his career, ala Levi Jones? Other than that, I'm good with picking Andre.

LT-Collins/Smith

LG-Whitworth

C- Santucci or Cook to start the season before giving way by mid-season to Unger/Wood as a 2nd round pick

RG-Bobbie

RT-Smith/Collins

Speaking of this, how does drafting Smith or any other OT affect Levi? I was reading earlier that the Bengals will actually LOSE around 500K in cap room if he's traded or released.

Edited by Bengalszone Billy
Edited for Youtube formatting.

Highlight reels are indeed highlight reels intended to focus on only the good, but once again, we are talking about a player that for a long period of time was thought to be the top pick in the draft without much, if any, question. I still stand by the fact that his play on the field speaks for itself.

Many of the analysts have made mention that besides the red flags that do exist, A. Smith holds much promise to the future and has the ability to continue to improve upon where he is right now. In other words, he still has an upside.

I can actually see the Bengals just releasing Levi Jones outright, as I believe if they can't get anything in trade (I don't think they will) they are about done in dealing with him and his lack of desire to be a part of this team. I really can't bring myself to care a whole lot about Levi anymore and don't care about the hit we may take.

I like the thought of having the veteran talent of Whit and Williams at the Guard positions and they can help smooth the way for the development of the rookies we may see starting. Adding a FB that can help pick up defenders will be HUGE...

• 3 weeks later...

Going back to the "teams drafting ahead of us" topic: It is hard to predict how things are going to shake out at this point.

Detroit- I can't see how they don't take Stafford here, but they may go J. Smith or even Curry

St. Louis- I can't see how they don't take J. Smith or Monroe, but it's not definitive

Kansas City- I can't see how they don't take Curry, but Crabtree would be nice for them as well

Seattle- These guys could go Sanchez, Crabtree, or J. Smith / Monroe and it would work for them

Cleveland- These guys could go Crabtree or Orakpo and be good as well

You would think by now you could nail down some of these spots, but there is still a lot to figure out and there is no doubt in my mind that someone will drop. It just depends on who ??

Going back to the "teams drafting ahead of us" topic: It is hard to predict how things are going to shake out at this point.

Detroit- I can't see how they don't take Stafford here, but they may go J. Smith or even Curry

St. Louis- I can't see how they don't take J. Smith or Monroe, but it's not definitive

Kansas City- I can't see how they don't take Curry, but Crabtree would be nice for them as well

Seattle- These guys could go Sanchez, Crabtree, or J. Smith / Monroe and it would work for them

Cleveland- These guys could go Crabtree or Orakpo and be good as well

You would think by now you could nail down some of these spots, but there is still a lot to figure out and there is no doubt in my mind that someone will drop. It just depends on who ??

In my mind, it's either Curry or Monroe, and they are my #1 and #2 players in the entire draft. The screwball is if the Lions believe a slimmed-down Dante Culpepper could be the answer after a great camp and they go with Curry, but you would have to think that the Lions need a QB of the future, especially with 60 million dollars going to that top pick.

If they do believe Culpepper is going to suffice this upcoming season, they are still left with what to do after that. I actually think it's the best scenario for them because they don't need Stafford to come in and start day one. They can do like we did with Carson and Kitna and let him hold the clipboard, stepping in the next year to take over.

I think this draft is going to be really interesting up top...