Update on Chad Trade Options

Spor_tees

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's a question to ponder...

What do you think a motivated Chad Johnson does on a team that has a QB that can get him the ball, a running game to sustain drives, a defense that stops the opposition giving the offense more touches, and a city that would love his antics while providing the biggest media outlet in the world ??

Next two questions to ponder...

What WR coming out of this years draft will IMMEDIATELY provide you what Chad will ?? How much is that worth ??

young player, yeah. but so are manningham and hixon, and the later provides "added value" in regards to the return game.

The Browns already have Josh Cribbs, right?

Regardless, any of the players mentioned push the total value of the trade package well beyond the 2nd and 5th round picks, and in my opinion the inclusion of a young wideout like Smith, who I believe would start for the Browns from Day 1, pushes the compensation demand beyond a straight 1st and a 3rd.

Again, we all have opinions but if Clayton is correct then a 1st and a 3rd is still were the bidding starts for all three of these guys. Perhaps more telling though is the fact that those types of offers still haven't been enough to get the job done. Not for Chad last season, and not for Edwards this year.

pffft. the fans certainly want a star wideout, but the front office and team core are probably still paralyzed from the time when TO was there.

The comment was made that, (are you ready?) Chad isn't considered in the same league of malcontent that T.O. has been and that Chad has been wanting out of Cincinnati for a while now and Philly would be willing to give a chance to someone like Chad with something to prove.

The next thing that came out of their mouth was the fact that Philly had an extra first rounder if they so desired and that the only person in Cincinnati NOT wanting to move Chad is, (are you ready again?) Mike Brown...

Being discussed right now on ESPN Philly is said to be interested in Chad...

And there it is. My favorite flight of fantasy over the last couple of months. Chad swapped for the 28th pick in the draft.

For a Philly trade, I do agree that the 28th pick would have to at least be the starting point in negotiations for a Chad trade. Maybe we throw in a 5th to make it more attractive.

Any thoughts on the Eagles sending back Winston Justice, who has absolutely rotted on their bench? On second thought, maybe there's a reason for that. He has to at least be as good as, say, Eben Britton, right? I say we trade Chad, a 4th and maybe a 7th for their 28th pick and Justice.

And there it is. My favorite flight of fantasy over the last couple of months. Chad swapped for the 28th pick in the draft.

Which would open up a bunch of options. I really think they could go just about any direction and make a very good pick that would immediately impact the team.

For a Philly trade, I do agree that the 28th pick would have to at least be the starting point in negotiations for a Chad trade. Maybe we throw in a 5th to make it more attractive.

Any thoughts on the Eagles sending back Winston Justice, who has absolutely rotted on their bench? On second thought, maybe there's a reason for that. He has to at least be as good as, say, Eben Britton, right? I say we trade Chad, a 4th and maybe a 7th for their 28th pick and Justice.

I really doubt the Bengals are going to have to give anything up. If they want to give Chad for the 28th pick straight up, Id almost guarantee the Eagles would jump at it.

Chad's value is what the market will bear. With Boldin being unlikely to move for anything less than 2 firsts, and the Browns playing hardball with Edwards, it seems likely that the Bengals will have more than their share of suitors. And with that being the case, they will be able to sit back and accept the best offer.

For my part, I'd trade him fun size pack of M&M's (but then again... I LOVE M&M's). But you know there will be offers coming in. The Bengals will not likely be forced into sweetening any deals by throwing in draft picks of their own, because proven WR's that can contribute right away are a rare commodity, and if you can get one by merely giving up a couple draft picks, teams that see their window of opportunity closing will do what is necessary to get the deal done.

I think that we have to trade Chad or he is just going to keep on tanking it.

But , I think the minimum I would take for him is a 2nd and 3rd rnd choice and Bush thrown in.

Last year, a pair of 1st rnd choices were not enough.

If I take a 2& 3 , I also consider writing in a clause that if Chad makes the Pro Bowl or leads the league in catches the Bengals get an extra 1st rnd pick.

chad has never lead the league in catches - he's a deep guy, not a possession reciever (like housh, who has lead the league in receptions). the clause would have to hinge on him making the pro bowl.

Would you guys be pissed if the Bengals flat out RELEASED Chad, ala T.O., Marvin, Tory Holt and Plax? I get the feeling that it's more of a possibility than a trade, at this point at least.

Yes and no. I'd be glad to be rid of him... but I also know the Bengals can get something for him. the other four WR's mentioned would have commanded precisely dick from another team. The Bengals can still get value for him in a trade... so in that sense, they shouldn't just release him.

On the other hand, I'll be happy if they do eventually decide to simply cut him down the road assuming they don't trade him this year. I just can't see that happening with Mike Brown running the show.

IF we trade Chad for #28

We take either the best available LT or Maualuga at #6

We take Mack at #28

We take Barwin with our second round selection

We take Greene or Ringer with our first selection in the third

We take the Best Offensive lineman available with the 3rd round comp pick perhaps Caldwell as LG?

We take Huber in the 6th and BPA with the rest of the draft.

I really like this kid from Canada in the 4th. http://nflblogs.profootballweekly.com/NFLd...ares_for_d.html

If we can steal Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe great lets do it, if not there is no reason to reach for a prospect with a high bust potential. If Curry or Orakpo drops then fine we take them (I am guessing that they will be long gone). If the draft falls the way I expect it to then Monroe, J. Smith, Curry, and Orakpo will all go before the 6th pick and we will be left reaching for a LT, drafting Crabtree or Maclin (1st rd. receivers UGH!), or drafting Maualuga, trade down if you can but if you can't and we also have the 28th pick take Maualuga, suffer the slings and arrows from the Kipers of the world and plug him in at MLB and we have our defense set for several years.

DT's: Peko, Sims, T. Johnson, Shirley, Harris

DE's: Odom, Geathers, Fanene, Rucker

SSOLB: Jeanty, Barwin

MLB: Maualuga, Dh. Jones

WSOLB: Rivers, B. Johnson

SS: Ndukwe, Hebert, Roy Williams (?)

FS: White, Lynch

LCB: Joseph, Castille

RCB: Hall, Pope, Da. Jones

Ladies and Gentlemen that is a championship caliber defense. I think we should be able to play Lynch at Nickle personally though I will probably get flamed for that.

IF we trade Chad for #28

We take Mack at #28

We take the Best Offensive lineman available with the 3rd round comp pick perhaps Caldwell as LG?

If they trade Chad for the #28... how about taking the best defensive player with #6 and then trading the #28 and the 3rd round pick for a pick in the late teens to get Oher?

"Reportedly" Mike Brown is the one holding things up with Chad - if you can get a 1st round pick for him, you do it, get yourself an interior o-lineman, or WR or Rb.

Mike Brown is an even bigger idiot than I ever imagined if Philly is offering that.

Chad's stock will not go higher, and his body is too fraile to last that much longer in the league without a lot of injuries that keep him out of games or limits his game (speed, hard cuts, acrobatic catches). The guy doesn't take care of himself and eats like a 10 year old - move on already.

Mike Brown is an even bigger idiot than I ever imagined if Philly is offering that.

Blast away, but who says there's been any talks whatsoever?

Seriously, there's been whispers of interest in Chad but anything solid enough to qualify as a rumor has either been debunked or remains entirely media driven, including the Philly speculation.

I don't have the IN pass for ESPN but I did notice that their main headline this morning saying that Ocho's new QB could be Eli. I checked ESPN just now and its headline read " Ocho going to the NFC east, but where". Does anybody have the inside pass. I'm curious on what they have to say.

IF we trade Chad for #28

We take Mack at #28

If they trade Chad for the #28... how about taking the best defensive player with #6 and then trading the #28 and the 3rd round pick for a pick in the late teens to get Oher?

I'd really like that. Imagine something like this:

1. Raji or Orakpo

1b. Oher

2. Wood or Unger

3. Jennings, Andre Brown, Green or Ringer

Blast away, but who says there's been any talks whatsoever?

Seriously, there's been whispers of interest in Chad but anything solid enough to qualify as a rumor has either been debunked or remains entirely media driven, including the Philly speculation.

Dave Lapham's take on the situation

Dave on Chad:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80fad8e2

Dave on the Draft:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80fad6c6

HappyWave.gif

He is desperately in love with that stupid wavy icon. That appears to be his point.

Possible, but I'll let him answer for himself.

Here's the thing. I didn't follow the links. I watched Lapham on both programs and I know what he said. Mostly, I think this, I think that, and I haven't actually heard a thing. He did a great job of blasting away at Chad from start to finish, implied the Bengals would be willing to take almost anything in trade...from a 1st to a 3rd, and then finally admitted that neither of the two most powerful figures prowling the halls at PBS are actually committed to trading Chad and would want to much even if they did. Round and round he went and I loved every second of it. But besides blasting Chad, did he actually say anything?