Must learn from 2004 Draft!

walzav29

Smith is too much of a "boom or bust", for my taste. Number 6 overall is too high to draft a player of Smith's caliber. People around here are still pissed that we swung and missed on Perry, Thurman and Henry (amongst others). None of those guys were even top 20 picks! Those same people were less than enamored with Justin Smith's play as the #4 pick overall while he was here and he was (and still is) a pretty good player, not to mention statistically one of the best Bengals DE's ever

I just hope everybody who thinks that Andre Smith is worth the #6 pick are planning on not being critical of his play if he only ends up being a decent RG for the Bengals.

I agree, I don't want to take a chance on him just b/c he plays a position of need. Granted, I get the arguement that b4 Bama's bowl game he was considered a Top2 pick, but the problems is that he knew how important this evalutation is and the fact that he put himself above his team to hire an agent and get suspended and then his team gets demolished by Utah, then he goes AWOL at the Combine by showing up outta shape b/c he spent too long looking for an agent, then making excuses about the combine he still shows up outta shape at his Pro Day by putting up a weak 17 reps on the bench press. This kid is all about the money, and everyone wants to get paid but most players actually work hard for it! He will get his signing bonus and be fine with it!

I say we take best player available regardless of position. I don't care if we already have 2 ends, if Orakpo is there, take him. I don't care if we have Ocho, Coles and drafted to future starters at WR, take Crabtree if the 2 tackles are gone.

Can we all agree that unless someone suprises on draft day the Top 5 in whatever order will be: Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, Aaron Curry, Matt Stafford, and Brian Orakpo?

We can only hope that someone takes Stafford b/c that will push someone to us b/c that is the one position that we don't take!

Sorry for rambling, I love draft talk!

Pretty dead on, there...and I love draft talk, too.

I don't think Stafford goes lower than 4, which would mean one of the linemen between Jason Smith or Monroe slide to the Bengals. I'd be happy with either guy but I'd be curious to know how much Oakland (or some other team)would offer to come up and select the best OL, WR or 2nd best QB. This is a extremely deep draft and imagine what the Bengals could do with a high to mid 1st, high 2nd and three 3rds, potentially.

Well,

I did the math on the points calc and if we give up our third rounder we can move from our spot in the second, all the way to the 23rd pick in the draft.

Who do we think we can get at that spot?

Could be possibly trade Chad and have three firsts, a 3rd, 4th, 5th, two 6ths, and three 7ths?

How does this sound next season:

Raji

Oher

Wood

TOP 3 picks

*Cremes in his pants*

The 23rd is pretty interesting, imagine how we'd react to a Jason Smith/Eugene Monroe/Brian Orakpo/B.J. Raji at #6 with Rey at 23rd. I know some will have issues, but I have Rey going at the bottom of the 1st, with his total composite of his postseason performance. If not him, how about Robert Ayers, Conner Barwin or Michael Johnson at #23, assuming we take an OT at #6? Draft a C in round 2 and it looks very good on paper. Take the best RB available with the Comp 3rd and I'd be in heaven!

How long again until April 26th?

The 23rd is pretty interesting, imagine how we'd react to a Jason Smith/Eugene Monroe/Brian Orakpo/B.J. Raji at #6 with Rey at 23rd. I know some will have issues, but I have Rey going at the bottom of the 1st, with his total composite of his postseason performance. If not him, how about Robert Ayers, Conner Barwin or Michael Johnson at #23, assuming we take an OT at #6? Draft a C in round 2 and it looks very good on paper. Take the best RB available with the Comp 3rd and I'd be in heaven!

How long again until April 26th?

If we moved up to 23 that would be if we traded our second and third rounder. I said three firsts which would include that one, our original, and the one we would get for Ocho!

Do the Bengals still have the same number of scouts as they did in 04?

Yes.

That number would be "4" unless you count Bruce Coslet on his computer in Florida. :lol: I'm sure Mikey does.

If you ever want a good chuckle, go look at how many scouts the Steelers or Titans have, for example.

In a league of unprecedented parity, Mike Brown continually finds new ways to handicap his own franchise.

This kid is all about the money, and everyone wants to get paid but most players actually work hard for it! He will get his signing bonus and be fine with it!

Any chance you might start talking about something that you can prove rather than popping off like an idiot about what you think is going to happen the moment Smith starts earning money? Have you even taken a second to consider what Smith has already accomplished as a football player [Ex:Outland trophy Winner] or that he's done each of the following things without being paid a single penny in salary? Or are you suggesting a player can accomplish these things without working hard?

High School

Attended Huffman (Birmingham, Ala.) High School, playing football for head coach Curtis Coleman … The three-year starter was the consensus top-rated offensive lineman in the country as a senior … The first-team All-American choice by USA Today and the U.S. Army, he was also a two-time All-State selection … In 2005, he was the recipient of the Bobby Dodd Award and was selected Alabama's Mr. Football by the Alabama Sports Writers Association, becoming the only offensive lineman to ever win the honor … Also named Mr. Football and the state's best collegiate prospect by The Birmingham News … The Rivals.com Alabama Offensive Lineman of the Year recorded 88 knockdown blocks and was named the Class 6A Lineman of the Year in 2005 … One of four finalists for the Walter Peyton Award, given to the best prep player in the nation.

2006 Season

Smith was named Freshman All-American first-team by The Sporting News and Rivals.com, adding All-SEC first-team honors from the league's coaches … Started all thirteen games at left tackle, leading the team with 831 plays participated in while pacing the down linemen with 70 knockdown blocks that included thirteen touchdown-resulting blocks … Became just the seventh true freshman in school history to start a season opener, joining Larry Rose (1985), Jon Stevenson (1991), Terry Jones, Jr. (1988, Dante Ellington (1999, Saleem Rasheed (1999) and Tim Castille (2003) … Scored his first career touchdown on a lateral from QB John Parker Wilson in the Independence Bowl vs. Oklahoma State.

2007 Season

The All-SEC first-team selection was also the recipient of the conference's Jacobs Blocking Trophy … Second-team All-American choice by College Football News and a member of the Outland Trophy Watch List … Earned Alabama's Up-Front and Offensive Player of the Year Awards … One of just two offensive linemen to start every game, the left tackle registered a league-high 116 knockdowns and produced fifteen touchdown-resulting blocks, despite suffering ankle sprains in back-to-back games vs. Tennessee (left ankle) and Louisiana State (right ankle) later in the season … Earned team Player of the Game recognition vs. Vanderbilt, Houston, Mississippi State and Louisiana-Monroe …

2008 Season

Consensus All-American first-team selection and recipient of the Outland Trophy, given annually to the nation's best down lineman … All-Southeastern Conference first-team pick and shared the league's Jacobs Blocking Trophy with Arkansas center Jonathan Luigs … Chosen SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week at Arkansas and was selected his team's Offensive Player of the Year … Also captured the offensive line's Up-Front Award for his outstanding blocking … Started 12 games at left offensive tackle and was chosen for the team's Paul Crane Offensive Lineman Award … Saw action in 710 of the team's 902 offensive plays, but still led the squad with 103 key blocks/ knockdowns and added seven blocks downfield … His 18 touchdown-resulting blocks led the SEC's down linemen … Was penalized twice, as he allowed just one QB sack and six pressures on 334 pass plays … Helped the team rank 30th in the nation and third in the conference in rushing, averaging 184.64 yards per game … That unit also averaged 171.14 yards passing, 30.14 points and 355.79 yards in total offense per game.

Career Notes

In his last two seasons, Smith started 25 games, delivering 219 knockdowns and 33 touchdown-resulting blocks on a total of 1,463 plays … During that span, he was credited with 16 blocks downfield … Allowed only 2.5 quarterback sacks on 806 pass attempts by the Crimson Tide during the 2007 and '08 campaigns … Became the seventh true freshman in school history to start a season opener (2006 vs. Hawaii), joining Larry Rose (1985), Jon Stevenson (1991), Terry Jones, Jr. (1988), Dante Ellington (1999), Saleem Rasheed (1999) and Tim Castille (2003).

Smith is too much of a "boom or bust", for my taste. Number 6 overall is too high to draft a player of Smith's caliber. People around here are still pissed that we swung and missed on Perry, Thurman and Henry (amongst others). None of those guys were even top 20 picks! Those same people were less than enamored with Justin Smith's play as the #4 pick overall while he was here and he was (and still is) a pretty good player, not to mention statistically one of the best Bengals DE's ever

I just hope everybody who thinks that Andre Smith is worth the #6 pick are planning on not being critical of his play if he only ends up being a decent RG for the Bengals.

Who is bust-proof at #6? Invariably, everybody who says that then seems to immediately say they want to trade down. But if there is no trade I don't think there is anyone at #6 without any warts -- it's just a question of what warts you can tolerate. And, there you simply get into a reasonable difference of opinion on who's best. I assume that any player you would mention could then draw the retort that I hope you are planning on not being critical of his play if he only ends up being "decent."

Personally, and this is just speculation, I think if Andre Smith loses some weight and improves on his bench press #'s from his pro-day when we have him in for his personal workout he will shoot up to the top of the Bengals draft board. I think he will be the best O-linemen out of this draft, but that's based on what I've seen him do on the field, and totally disregarding these so called "Character Issues". He's had no problems with the law or with teammates and coaches. I can deal with some questionable judgment from a 21 year old kid if it doesn't involve the law or teammates and coaches.

Who is bust-proof at #6? Invariably, everybody who says that then seems to immediately say they want to trade down. But if there is no trade I don't think there is anyone at #6 without any warts -- it's just a question of what warts you can tolerate. And, there you simply get into a reasonable difference of opinion on who's best. I assume that any player you would mention could then draw the retort that I hope you are planning on not being critical of his play if he only ends up being "decent."

You still have to consider more than just his ability on the football field. An equally important consideration is the salary of that player; It's what has always hindered the Bengals, in regards to the cap. We've had too many players, including failed 1st round picks, that have maintained a salary that doesn't reflect their output on the field. Do you want to pay a rookie RG, or even a RT, 50 million dollars over the next 5-6 seasons? I'd much rather have to pay a DE/DT, who's value in salary to the team, might exceed their rookie contracts. Andre Smith would enter the NFL as one of the 2-3 highest paid RT's in the NFL, his rookie season.

All I'm saying is, you'll overpay for a RT at #6 far more than you will for a DE/DT of equal production.

If Andre Smith is drafted by the Bengals he will be the best LT on our roster. That might not be his best natural position, but I think he has the quick feet to be able to play LT. He would have to really dedicate himself and drop some pounds, but if he can I think he could play at a pro bowl level. Maybe this is all my SEC biast coming out, but this kid is just a great football player and I have no reservations about him.

This is my top 5 overall:

1. Curry

2. ASmith

3. Crabtree

4. Orakpo

5. Raji

Here's the top 5 I'd like to see the Bengals take:

1. Curry

2. ASmith

3. JSmith

4. Monroe

5. Orakpo

I agree, I don't want to take a chance on him just b/c he plays a position of need. Granted, I get the arguement that b4 Bama's bowl game he was considered a Top2 pick, but the problems is that he knew how important this evalutation is and the fact that he put himself above his team to hire an agent and get suspended and then his team gets demolished by Utah, then he goes AWOL at the Combine by showing up outta shape b/c he spent too long looking for an agent, then making excuses about the combine he still shows up outta shape at his Pro Day by putting up a weak 17 reps on the bench press. This kid is all about the money, and everyone wants to get paid but most players actually work hard for it! He will get his signing bonus and be fine with it!

I say we take best player available regardless of position. I don't care if we already have 2 ends, if Orakpo is there, take him. I don't care if we have Ocho, Coles and drafted to future starters at WR, take Crabtree if the 2 tackles are gone.

Can we all agree that unless someone suprises on draft day the Top 5 in whatever order will be: Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, Aaron Curry, Matt Stafford, and Brian Orakpo?

We can only hope that someone takes Stafford b/c that will push someone to us b/c that is the one position that we don't take!

Sorry for rambling, I love draft talk!

Pretty dead on, there...and I love draft talk, too.

I don't think Stafford goes lower than 4, which would mean one of the linemen between Jason Smith or Monroe slide to the Bengals. I'd be happy with either guy but I'd be curious to know how much Oakland (or some other team)would offer to come up and select the best OL, WR or 2nd best QB. This is a extremely deep draft and imagine what the Bengals could do with a high to mid 1st, high 2nd and three 3rds, potentially.

Well,

I did the math on the points calc and if we give up our third rounder we can move from our spot in the second, all the way to the 23rd pick in the draft.

Who do we think we can get at that spot?

Could be possibly trade Chad and have three firsts, a 3rd, 4th, 5th, two 6ths, and three 7ths?

How does this sound next season:

Raji

Oher

Wood

TOP 3 picks

*Cremes in his pants*

I am so tired of the trade chad for a first round pick crap. No one in thier right mind would give a first rounder for Chad, this leaves only

Al Davis, Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones as potential suitors. seems unlikely at best!

You still have to consider more than just his ability on the football field. An equally important consideration is the salary of that player; It's what has always hindered the Bengals, in regards to the cap. We've had too many players, including failed 1st round picks, that have maintained a salary that doesn't reflect their output on the field. Do you want to pay a rookie RG, or even a RT, 50 million dollars over the next 5-6 seasons? I'd much rather have to pay a DE/DT, who's value in salary to the team, might exceed their rookie contracts. Andre Smith would enter the NFL as one of the 2-3 highest paid RT's in the NFL, his rookie season.

All I'm saying is, you'll overpay for a RT at #6 far more than you will for a DE/DT of equal production.

So you're saying Raji or Everett Brown?

From Lance McAllister....

Things I'm told

An NFL source, traveling to Pro Days this week, tells me they heard a key member of the

Bengals brass indicate the team has Alabama's OT Andre Smith high on the

draft board. At least one member of the Bengals decision-making staff wants to

take Smith, according the the discussion. In the same conversation, the

Bengals official said he liked the way the draft board will fall and sensed

running back will be the value position when the team's on the clock in

the second round. UConn's Donald Brown was mentioned by name.

From Lance McAllister....

Things I'm told

An NFL source, traveling to Pro Days this week, tells me they heard a key member of the

Bengals brass indicate the team has Alabama's OT Andre Smith high on the

draft board. At least one member of the Bengals decision-making staff wants to

take Smith, according the the discussion. In the same conversation, the

Bengals official said he liked the way the draft board will fall and sensed

running back will be the value position when the team's on the clock in

the second round. UConn's Donald Brown was mentioned by name.

Considering the Bengals' recent penchant for pre-draft "smokecreens", it makes all the sense in the world. I surely won't be in love with taking Smith at #6, but I imagine there are worse things they could do with the pick. The Brown kid is pretty interesting. He killed my Louisville Cardinals this year, but is he big enough to do it at the NFL level? You can't ignore his production, though. He quietly had a season that mirrored Matt Forte's final season at Tulane and I'd be thrilled if he could develop into a Forte type of RB for us.

The Brown kid is pretty interesting. He killed my Louisville Cardinals this year, but is he big enough to do it at the NFL level? You can't ignore his production, though. He quietly had a season that mirrored Matt Forte's final season at Tulane and I'd be thrilled if he could develop into a Forte type of RB for us.

I heard him interviewed after his Pro Day and when asked which teams had shown the most interest he named San Diego and Cincy. (The Bengals have a private workout scheduled.) After pausing he then named Philly, New England, and the Jets.

The Brown kid is pretty interesting. He killed my Louisville Cardinals this year, but is he big enough to do it at the NFL level? You can't ignore his production, though. He quietly had a season that mirrored Matt Forte's final season at Tulane and I'd be thrilled if he could develop into a Forte type of RB for us.

I heard him interviewed after his Pro Day and when asked which teams had shown the most interest he named San Diego and Cincy. (The Bengals have a private workout scheduled.) After pausing he then named Philly, New England, and the Jets.

The more that I think about it, I really don't want a 2nd round RB, especially if we go OT in the 1st. I'd be happy with Andre Brown or Jennings in the 3rd and believe they might be every-down types. We have to add a pash rushing threat in the first 2 rounds.