Your 2010 Comp Pick Scorecard v3

TJJackson

I'm LOVING having that 3rd rounder !!! I agree with the thought of that pick being VERY important for us in the draft. Now if only we can trade down and pick up another pick in either the 2nd or 3rd and we can do some damage in the draft !!!

If only SoP wouldn't use it to trade up to get Beanie Wells!

With the thought of having another 3rd rounder, did anyone happen to notice this little nugget from Mike Brown ??

"We'll have to see what is there to trade up for," Brown said.

Packing up the first pick in the 3rd and our 4th, the Bengals could move back up to about the 25th pick in the bottom of the 2nd.

Just throwing that out there since our fearless leader brought it up, but agree that it would depend on who was sitting there.

I wish we would have taken our fourth rounder and sent it to Miami for Satele. Oh well, we must be taking a center in round 2 and that is our starter, they didn't want any controversy.

The knock on Satele is that he wasn't physical enough to handle Wilfork or Jenkins. Same problem we have in our division with Hampton, Rogers, and Ngata. The comp picks aren't tradeable but we could certainly trade our 2nd and 4th rounders to move up a few slots and maybe get the first center.

With the thought of having another 3rd rounder, did anyone happen to notice this little nugget from Mike Brown ??

Packing up the first pick in the 3rd and our 4th, the Bengals could move back up to about the 25th pick in the bottom of the 2nd.

Just throwing that out there since our fearless leader brought it up, but agree that it would depend on who was sitting there.

I wish we would have taken our fourth rounder and sent it to Miami for Satele. Oh well, we must be taking a center in round 2 and that is our starter, they didn't want any controversy.

The knock on Satele is that he wasn't physical enough to handle Wilfork or Jenkins. Same problem we have in our division with Hampton, Rogers, and Ngata. The comp picks aren't tradeable but we could certainly trade our 2nd and 4th rounders to move up a few slots and maybe get the first center.

Put me in the line of thought that we don't need to trade UP to get a Center when we could sit tight in the 2nd and get one of the the top 2 at the position. Also color me happy there was no effort to trade for Satele when he has looked everything that was Ghiaciuc and less...

How does New England go out and sign so many guys and still get 3 Comp picks? Damn is Goddell sleeping with one of Bob Krafts daughters or something?

Because everyone they sign is old as f**k and doesn't really matter. They lost a CB to a 10 million dollar per year contract, that is why they get that pick!

Uhm no

New England plays the RFA game perfectly. You take a year on, and a year off. On years "ON" you sign your own free agents, and (other than min contract roster fillers) you sign no one else. On years "OFF" you sign whoever the heck you can, fully realizing you will get zero comp picks

So for example, in 2007 NE signed Adalius Thomas (arguably the TOP FA of 2007) and several other notable players

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=...0&pid=24317

In 2008, they let notable folks go, incl Asante Samuel (arguably the TOP FA of 2008)

http://www.patriots.com/history/index.cfm?...p;submit=Submit

Some teams will basically sign as many players as they let go, year in and year out. This earns you NOTHING in terms of comp picks.

Put me in the line of thought that we don't need to trade UP to get a Center when we could sit tight in the 2nd and get one of the the top 2 at the position. Also color me happy there was no effort to trade for Satele when he has looked everything that was Ghiaciuc and less...

The problem with sitting pretty in the second is the chance that we lose the best center available. Their is a chance that Mack and Wood will be gone by the time we pick and we will be stuck with Unger who won't do well in our division.

The problem with sitting pretty in the second is the chance that we lose the best center available. Their is a chance that Mack and Wood will be gone by the time we pick and we will be stuck with Unger who won't do well in our division.

Among the three you named, I still like Mack the best, but Unger is probably being viewed highly due to his versatility along the o-line. I view him in the line of what Baltimore did with Jason Brown when they had him starting at guard and then moved him to Center the following year. That is also the reason I could see the Steelers targeting Unger more than the others. I'm speculating of course, but it's just what I see.

I tend to think that Unger will do better in our division that Mack, but behind Wood. The physical similarities between Mack and Ghiaciuc are scary and not in a good way. All that said, I'd take Mack in a heartbeat over Ghiaciud but I don't expect him to be a Pro Bowl-type C in the AFC North. I've watched Wood's entire career and not only does he have the track record in blocking for 3 current NFL RB's, but he is intelligent, strong and a leader.

Rules Capped Steelers’ Compensatory Pick At A Fifth-Rounder

Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2009, 8:01 p.m.

And there’s further proof that free agency is a game intended for men in their 20s.

Several readers have expressed consternation regarding the fact that the Steelers received only a fifth-round pick as compensation for the departure in 2008 of Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca.

We’ve seen in the comments assertions that the rules cap the compensatory pick at that level when the departing free agent older than 30.

Per John Clayton of ESPN.com, that’s precisely the case.

Responding to a reader in a Q&A column, Clayton wrote the following: “[T]he Steelers asked the same question at the owners’ meeting. What they found out is that a departing free agent older than 30 can’t net anything better than a fifth-round choice. They were banking on a third, too. They received the max value. They simply didn’t know the rule that has been there for a few years in the compensatory formula.”

Though it’s unknown whether the Steelers would have opted to use the franchise tag on Faneca if they’d known that they’d only get a fifth-round selection this year for letting him walk, it seems unfair that the league would use age-based restrictions on such matters.

If as in Faneca’s case the player is regarded by another team as sufficiently valuable to result in a five-year, $40 million deal, the fact that the player is on the wrong side of 30 shouldn’t matter.

Meanwhile, we’ll wait for the folks who are convinced that the league office is in the tank for the Rooneys to explain that the Steelers got the shaft this time in order to throw the dogs off the scent.

SO we get a 5th for TJ.....

I tend to think that Unger will do better in our division that Mack, but behind Wood. The physical similarities between Mack and Ghiaciuc are scary and not in a good way

How so? Mack is bigger then both wood & Unger is known for being nasty,physical and agressive vs guycheck who was a master of wiffing...Unger I think is more like Steinbach with his utility and athleticism

PS,With that being said aslong as Unger,wood or Mack are called in round 2 or even caldwell in round 3 I'll be a very happy man that day.

I tend to think that Unger will do better in our division that Mack, but behind Wood. The physical similarities between Mack and Ghiaciuc are scary and not in a good way.

I think you've got it backwards. Mack's physical attributes don't have much in common with Ghiaciuc. Just the opposite. Ghiaciuc has a weak lower body. This is Mack's strength as he possesses great base strength registering a program-record power clean of 374 pounds and scouting reports talk about his especially strong legs.

Wood needs to add bulk to his lower half as he struggles with the power bull rushers without help. I understand that you like him as you've mentioned several times watching every game he's played in... but this merely shows your bias, not your expertise.

Unger needs to add some weight and almost always snapped from the shotgun in college.

When it comes to draft day, I like all three of these guys just fine... but think Mack is the most NFL ready.

I tend to think that Unger will do better in our division that Mack, but behind Wood. The physical similarities between Mack and Ghiaciuc are scary and not in a good way.

I think you've got it backwards. Mack's physical attributes don't have much in common with Ghiaciuc. Just the opposite. Ghiaciuc has a weak lower body. This is Mack's strength as he possesses great base strength registering a program-record power clean of 374 pounds and scouting reports talk about his especially strong legs.

Wood needs to add bulk to his lower half as he struggles with the power bull rushers without help. I understand that you like him as you've mentioned several times watching every game he's played in... but this merely shows your bias, not your expertise.

Unger needs to add some weight and almost always snapped from the shotgun in college.

When it comes to draft day, I like all three of these guys just fine... but think Mack is the most NFL ready.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, and I'm not biased at all. I will be the first to tell you that Mario Urrutia was a wasted pick for the Bengals and that Brian Brohm is a backup NFL QB, at best. As far as Alex Mack goes, don't get me wrong, he'd be an upgrade over Ghiaciuc. I just don't think he is as strong at the point of attack, as Cal's running game was mainly a zone-blocking technique that emphasized angles. For me, the comparisons begin there. Both were known as supremely intelligent football players who relied more on technique and leverage. I know I'll get bashed for saying this, but Ghiaciuc is at least adequate in zone looks and even second level blocking in the run game. Where he struggles is at the point of attack against bigger, stronger interior defensive linemen. I've seen plays where Mack has struggled blocking one-on-one against these types of players, including his questionable performance in practice against Raji at the Senior Bowl. He'll see those types of players at least 6 times a season in our division.

The reason I like Unger is that he's versatile, like many recent Bengals draft picks along the offensive line. He's the type of player that could start at either guard or center for the Bengals next season.

You're pretty accurate on Wood and his lack of lower body strength. The guy makes up for that with excellent speed and quickness for his position, 34 inch arms and displayed his power at the Combine with 30 reps, or 10 more than Mack at his Pro Day (after not working out at all at the Combine). The major difference. though, is that Wood is a mauler. You'll very rarely see him pushed into the offensive backfield and he consistently blocks until the whistle. The Cardinals use a power running game since the Petrino era and Wood is one of those players who seemed to get better every single season. He consistently fared well against the physical defenses of the Big East. Mike Mayock also seems to think the Wood is the best C in this draft and he knows more about NFL draft prospects than I do.

Truthfully, I would also be happy with either of the three, but give me the mauler who grew up a Cincinnati Bengals football fan first.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, and I'm not biased at all. I will be the first to tell you that Mario Urrutia was a wasted pick for the Bengals and that Brian Brohm is a backup NFL QB, at best. As far as Alex Mack goes, don't get me wrong, he'd be an upgrade over Ghiaciuc. I just don't think he is as strong at the point of attack, as Cal's running game was mainly a zone-blocking technique that emphasized angles. For me, the comparisons begin there. Both were known as supremely intelligent football players who relied more on technique and leverage. I know I'll get bashed for saying this, but Ghiaciuc is at least adequate in zone looks and even second level blocking in the run game. Where he struggles is at the point of attack against bigger, stronger interior defensive linemen. I've seen plays where Mack has struggled blocking one-on-one against these types of players, including his questionable performance in practice against Raji at the Senior Bowl. He'll see those types of players at least 6 times a season in our division.

The reason I like Unger is that he's versatile, like many recent Bengals draft picks along the offensive line. He's the type of player that could start at either guard or center for the Bengals next season.

You're pretty accurate on Wood and his lack of lower body strength. The guy makes up for that with excellent speed and quickness for his position, 34 inch arms and displayed his power at the Combine with 30 reps, or 10 more than Mack at his Pro Day (after not working out at all at the Combine). The major difference. though, is that Wood is a mauler. You'll very rarely see him pushed into the offensive backfield and he consistently blocks until the whistle. The Cardinals use a power running game since the Petrino era and Wood is one of those players who seemed to get better every single season. He consistently fared well against the physical defenses of the Big East. Mike Mayock also seems to think the Wood is the best C in this draft and he knows more about NFL draft prospects than I do.

Truthfully, I would also be happy with either of the three, but give me the mauler who grew up a Cincinnati Bengals football fan first.

Yeah. I like Wood just fine. What I like about him that I hate about Ghiaciuc is that even though he struggles against bullrushers, he won't get pushed directly into the QB. He'll at least ride the guy out of the pocket.

Unger is versatile... but I'm a little worried about him having to learn how to snap in the NFL.

Like I said... and we agree, any of these three would be great. We just have slightly different preferences... and that's fine.

Can we move all non-comp-pick stuff to another thread?

not complainin, really, it's all good - just would like to keep the thread on topic. Plenty of discussions of the potential draftees at center on other threads.

I'm as guilty as anyone at getting off topic. I don't usually pay all that much attention to thread titles. I just join in on the conversation as it has evolved. I'll officially remove myself from this topic seeing now that it has nothing to do with drafting a Center.