Wraith

Round 1: Rey Maualuga, MLB, USC

Round 2: Duke Robinson, LG, Oklahoma

Round 3: Antoine Caldwell, OC, Alabama

Round 4: Javon Ringer, RB, Michigan State

Round 5: Johnny Knox, WR/PR, Abilene Christian

Round 6: Kevin Huber, P, Cincinnati

Round 7: Nick Reed, DE, Oregon

All of these players are projected at or below the spot selected (I used the projections from Walter Football LINK: http://walterfootball.com/draft2008P.php). Maualuga gives us an impact young MLB to groom behind Jones and will pair with Rivers to be a probowl combination for the next 5-7 years. Duke Robinson is a beast who is dropping simply because of his position, he cannot play tackle in the NFL but he is one heck of a guard prospect. Caldwell is a smart, powerful center who can anchor a ground game. Ringer, despite a poor combine performance, is a difference making RB. Knox is a speed demon who racked up more than 200 yards receiving in one game in college (and 4 TDs) and I have always thought that WR is the one position you can reach at a small school without worrying about how skills translate in the NFL (less about strength and more about technique). Huber is well known to all on this board and 6th is about right to grab him. Nick Reed "looks like Jane and plays like Tarzan" and is a good reach at 7th given his production at a major college (13 sacks, 20 TFL, 12 quarterback hurries). No I did not grab a LT but I think we have Tackles on this roster and these picks are better used to fill holes in other places where you can get more bang for the buck.

Also I did not include any comp picks because those are merely conjecture at this point and I wanted to build my draft on a more solid foundation.

All of these players are projected at or below the spot selected (I used the projections from Walter Football LINK: http://walterfootball.com/draft2008P.php). Maualuga gives us an impact young MLB to groom behind Jones and will pair with Rivers to be a probowl combination for the next 5-7 years. Duke Robinson is a beast who is dropping simply because of his position, he cannot play tackle in the NFL but he is one heck of a guard prospect. Caldwell is a smart, powerful center who can anchor a ground game. Ringer, despite a poor combine performance, is a difference making RB. Knox is a speed demon who racked up more than 200 yards receiving in one game in college (and 4 TDs) and I have always thought that WR is the one position you can reach at a small school without worrying about how skills translate in the NFL (less about strength and more about technique). Huber is well known to all on this board and 6th is about right to grab him. Nick Reed "looks like Jane and plays like Tarzan" and is a good reach at 7th given his production at a major college (13 sacks, 20 TFL, 12 quarterback hurries). No I did not grab a LT but I think we have Tackles on this roster and these picks are better used to fill holes in other places where you can get more bang for the buck.

Also I did not include any comp picks because those are merely conjecture at this point and I wanted to build my draft on a more solid foundation.

Have you been reading my mind lately? Honestly the first three picks are exactly how I would pick if I were in the war room.

1 - If we take Rey-Rey, who has had some red flags this offseason, we'd damn well better trade down (Green Bay - to Denver). Not alot of need for a 4-3 ILB this year.

2 - Ok, but I prefer Unger

3 - Wouldn't Eric Wood still be there?

4 - I want Jennings, the lid from Liberty

5 - GREAT Pick

6 - Available at #7

7 - I think we need a pass rusher before pick #200 and something

Unger is not NEARLY the Guard Prospect that Robinson is, not Wood will go before our pick in the 3rd, Jennings is looking more and more like a late second round selection so he is not available in the 4th. Huber would not be available at #7 I will bet a million Zone Dollars.

I would love Maualuga as well, just not sold on him at the #6 spot.

Robinson would be good at guard I suppose, but would rather have Mack and then take the OT out of Oregon (Tupou) in the 3rd.

Ringer wouldn't be a bad pick in the 4th, but I'm wondering what else might be there if we draw the 3rd round comp pick most are expecting and then go DE in the 4th instead of waiting until the 7th to address the pass rush need.

I'm not familiar with Knox at all, so I will have to look him up.

I still don't think Huber is even a thought for the Bengals no matter how much I may want to see him in stripes.

I also would like to see another CB taken at some point maybe where you have Knox ??

I do like the positions addressed though. Nice.