Why not draft a RT in Rd. 2?

I may be a rarity but I wouldn't mind any of the following Center prospects

Mack would be my first choice

Unger would be my second but only because of his versatility

Caldwell would be my third but would be my second pure Center prospect

Wood a close fourth but I didn't realize he was an Elder kid.....that may change my rankings, it is always good to have a player for the Bengals that actually wants to be there.

In the last five drafts there has never been a draft with more than 3 Centers going by mid-third so I think we are pretty safe with having four good prospects

i like the home grown kid the best. especially for the reason you gave but also because maybe he was just as good as the other two to begin with. it seems like he was over looked when these rankings orginally came out, all he has done through work-outs, interviews and people finally watching him play, is move into the conversation with the other three you mentioned. many places are now calling him the best center available.

but i agree that there should be a center available in the third who could help. and that would allow them to take a second round tackle if they feel they must.

I'll go with:

#1. Mack- Until just recently was by and far the most dominant Center hands down. One game and a few practices doesn't change that.

#2. Unger- Versatility is what he brings to the table.

#3. Wood- Love his attitude and the thought of having a guy that "WANTS" to play for you is always a good thing.

#4. Everyone else...

I'll go with:

#1. Mack- Until just recently was by and far the most dominant Center hands down. One game and a few practices doesn't change that.

#3. Wood- Love his attitude and the thought of having a guy that "WANTS" to play for you is always a good thing.

#4. Everyone else...

Agreed I would really be happy with any of those 3 at 38.....

I'll go with:

#4. Everyone else...

Agreed I would really be happy with any of those 3 at 38.....

Yep and that's why I view it as a "win win" situation for us and no need to waste picks in trading up.

His [Luigs] stock has fallen quite a bit though and could probably be had at the top of the 4th.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I usually see him ranked as a 5th round guy, but he seems better than that to me.

I also don't understand the knock on his intelligence.

An acedemic All-American, right? And most scouting reports say he's extremely coachable and needs very few reps to get up to speed. The comparison to Ghiacuic isn't all wrong though because he's a mixed bag when it comes to lower body power and balance.

The thing is this Center class is so deep, we will get someone who will provide an upgrade to Ghiaciuc.

I'm not basing this on much of anything, but I've still got strong doubts about the Bengals using a pick as early as #38 on any OC. Somebody more interesting and explosive is going to fall to that spot and I have a hard time believing they'll pass on a player like that.

The Bengals NEVER do what we THINK they should do in the 2nd round. Hell, I remember people being pissed that we drafted Chad in the 2nd when we have P-Dub and Dugans already. I also agree that someone will drop to the spot that will be impossible to pass on (Moreno? Wells? McCoy? Barwin? Butler? Cook?). Everything will be contigent on what they do in the 1st round, though.

I don't see a shot of Moreno falling into the 2nd, but a question would be, if he fell far enough into the bottom of the first, does anyone think they may move back up to get a guy they really covet ?? If Wells falls to us in the 2nd (I don't see that one either) he's the pick without much thought to it and you take Center in the 3rd. Barwin really depends (as I've said in another thread) on where they view him to be the most productive in the NFL. If he's looked at as a TE, then I say pass. DE ?? Another story.

With getting the 4 comp picks, I would love to see a more aggressive approach to the draft this year and see them make some moves both up and down. Of course there has to be willing participants...

OT will get addressed at some point, I'm just not absolutely sure it's going to be at #6 as some others are.

i'd say if monroe is there at #6 he'll be the pick, otherwise i have no idea. they've done a pretty good jod this off-season of addressing needs, so they can take BPA, except for along the o-line. speaking to the second round pick, if barwin, wells, cushing or matthews are there i'd reluctantly be in favor of drafting one of them over a center, but that would make it a mortal lock at the top of 3.

am i crazy or do they have to take a center in the 2nd or 3rd to upgrade the position?

I'm not basing this on much of anything, but I've still got strong doubts about the Bengals using a pick as early as #38 on any OC. Somebody more interesting and explosive is going to fall to that spot and I have a hard time believing they'll pass on a player like that.

That sounds about right. And I'd be okay with that. But I think I'd also like to see them be more aggressive with some of those extra picks they received. If a C they like falls to the 56th pick or so, how about trading the 70th and 106th picks to grab him? Usually I like them having as many picks as possible, but I think they need to draft a new C, and am not really keen on waiting until the 3rd to get a starter and a position of need.

That sounds about right. And I'd be okay with that. But I think I'd also like to see them be more aggressive with some of those extra picks they received. If a C they like falls to the 56th pick or so, how about trading the 70th and 106th picks to grab him? Usually I like them having as many picks as possible, but I think they need to draft a new C, and am not really keen on waiting until the 3rd to get a starter and a position of need.

The fact they didn't even bring in a C to visit at the most vulnerable position on the team, tells me they either like Crummey/Cook/Santucci a WHOLE lot or they're confident they can find a starter in any of the first 4 rounds, which likely means we reach again to draft a C.

Starter at a very underrated position I don't know about Others but I much would Prefer a Mack,Wood or Unger in the 2nd vs a Luigs in the 4th or shipley in the 5th...

One problem though, Mack will never make it past the 1st round. I'd seriously consider trading say a 2nd and 3rd(since we have 2 3rd's) to go back up in the late first round to take Alex Mack.

Starter at a very underrated position I don't know about Others but I much would Prefer a Mack,Wood or Unger in the 2nd vs a Luigs in the 4th or shipley in the 5th...

One problem though, Mack will never make it past the 1st round. I'd seriously consider trading say a 2nd and 3rd(since we have 2 3rd's) to go back up in the late first round to take Alex Mack.

count me out on that plan. there is no way the bengals should give up picks for a player that arguably isn't even the best at his respective position and who is less versatile than the the other two top prospects that will still be on the board.

trading away picks has to be the last thing the bengals think of, unless we pick up more from a trade down in the first. even though i feel like we've done some work filling holes in FA, the picks we have should be taken care of not thrown hither and thither. i don't think there is that big of a gap between the talent and potential of mack, unger and wood. and if i had to rate them it'd be 1) wood 2) mack 3) unger at the center position.

I'm not a fan of trading picks for a Center either, as there are going to be many to choose from that I believe will work for us in the AFCN.

Mack, Unger, or Wood all work for me.

Yep. Any of those work for me as well. But if they don't draft any of them in the 2nd, and one of them is there for them to trade up and get late in the 2nd, would you still be against moving up to get one of them? You'd really only be losing that 4th round pick, or maybe a 4th and a 7th depending on how high they would need to move up. I'd much rather have two 2nd round picks than multiple 2nd day picks.

IMHO

Duke Robinson is > as a guard prospect over the other options than Alex Mack or Max Unger is as a Center prospect. That is why I advocate draft Duke Robinson IF he is available in the second as an absoltue rock solid guard prospect and waiting for the top of the third to draft a center like Wood or Caldwell.

I really like this pick. I am not sure why his stock is dropping, but he is the number one Guard in the draft. I wonder if he could transition to Center because if he could he would dominate the inside. he is huge and wouldn't have much trouble handling any NT we see. Also, if he can't we can use him their and slide Whit over. For those of you concerned with his ability to cover the speed guys we could just slide protection that way on passing downs. Use a RB or a TE to mask his deficiencies.

IMHO two selections in the top 3 rounds need to be used on the Offensive Line, Either a LT in the first and a Center in the second or third or a LG in the second and a center in the third. If a superstar defensive player is there at #6 (or at 8 or 10) and there are no LTs available that carry that kind of grade, I would rather we didn't reach to take a LT in the first and would rather us take the best Guard Prospect and a very good Center prospect.