Levi being shopped ?

Kazkal

A little nugget from Hobson.

"But according to Biggs, people in the league are telling him the Bengals' asking price isn't all that high."

Note: Biggs is the source of the Chicago Sun Times trade rumors.

Former Bears T John Tait was just moved to the Reserve/Retired list and Chris Williams is going to be playing RT next season in his place. The Bears are also looking to replace incumbent LT John St. Clair and many mocks have them selecting an OT at #16 from amongst Britton, Beatty and Oher.

FWIW, the Bears just lost FA John St.Clair to the Browns. So just like the Bengals they're down at least two starters on their OL.

I'd say wait till final roster cuts to get rid of him, he hasn't earned any favors.

Are you serious?

I guess being part of the OLine that set the record for least sacks in a season for the franchise twice in his career is nothing. I guess playing LT on the only playoff team this team has had since the 80's is nothing either. I guess playing the last two seasons injured when most high priced bitches would just shut it down is nothing either.

I can't believe some of the s**t that is said in here. The guy needs to be either cut or traded especially considering how down the fans are on him. Personally, if he was healthy i would love to have him. If he isnt then thank you for your time here, but its time to move on!

"Mike Ditka...Take your entire draft, all 9 picks, and shove 'em. I'll pass on your Dallas Cowboys-type Godfather trade because Akili Smith is the next John Elway."

- Mike Brown

Yeah. The Redskins have built an unprecedented dynasty with those picks that Ditka gave up, huh?

Let's not forget... the Bengals weren't the only ones to turn down that trade. The Eagles and Colts also turned down the Ditka offer. Now... when it comes to building franchises, who would you rather have something in common with? The Eagles and Colts, or the Redskins?

Not saying Brown should have turned down the deal. Anything would have been better than Akili... but let's not call Mike Brown an idiot because of refusing the trade. Let's call him an idiot for falling in love with Akili.

If it was such a Godfathereseque offer, there wouldn't have been 2 other teams to also tell him to "shove 'em."

Who knows how that trade would've turned out for the Bengals but Casserly traded all but 3 of those picks to other teams like the Bears and the Broncos. I'm not even really saying that he's an idiot, but if you look at the NFL historically, the Dallas Cowboys dynasty was built on a similar trade that involved Herschel Walker.

Yes... but if you look at the Cowboys trade, you'll find that they actually traded most of the picks they acquired. They moved up in the draft multiple times to gain quality over quantity. They moved up to get Emmitt Smith...

Only thing is...the didn't move up with the intention of taking Emmitt Smith...the player Jimmie Johnson REALLY wanted was taken a few spots ahead at #12...and that player? James Francis.

I'd say wait till final roster cuts to get rid of him, he hasn't earned any favors.

Are you serious?

I guess being part of the OLine that set the record for least sacks in a season for the franchise twice in his career is nothing. I guess playing LT on the only playoff team this team has had since the 80's is nothing either. I guess playing the last two seasons injured when most high priced bitches would just shut it down is nothing either.

I can't believe some of the s**t that is said in here. The guy needs to be either cut or traded especially considering how down the fans are on him. Personally, if he was healthy i would love to have him. If he isnt then thank you for your time here, but its time to move on!

He is a good player, but his played has def. declined. I think he wants out anyways, might as well give him his wish.

Are you serious?

After his hissy fit 2nd year of his contract,I'm Serious if we cut him out right why would any team offer pic?

Why does he not deserve the same hard nose that i'm sure you were happy to see chad get?

Give me a second round pick

More like sixth or seventh...

That's probably about right if you figure the Patriots are only going to have to give up a 2nd for Peppers (Sorry to the Chad for a 1st rounder fanatics).

Peppers is inconsistent, and will play terrible at the OLB position. Thus hes only worth a 2nd rounder. People like to think Peppers is one of the top DE's in the league and he is every other year, but his consistency is so bad that half the plays he makes only barely make up for the plays he gets destroyed on. Also his torso is too long to play anything but DE.

That's probably about right if you figure the Patriots are only going to have to give up a 2nd for Peppers (Sorry to the Chad for a 1st rounder fanatics).

Peppers is inconsistent, and will play terrible at the OLB position. Thus hes only worth a 2nd rounder. People like to think Peppers is one of the top DE's in the league and he is every other year, but his consistency is so bad that half the plays he makes only barely make up for the plays he gets destroyed on. Also his torso is too long to play anything but DE.

I'm sure he won't be an exclusive LB. I'm sure the Ravens will play him with his hand on the ground some, similar to how the Ravens play Terrell Suggs. Keep in mind, he's probably either going to be playing next to or opposite Richard Seymour a lot of the time. With him finally playing on a decent defense, he's my pre-season favorite for Defensive Player of the Year if the trade goes through. He won't be double and triple teamed nearly as much as he's been with the Panthers and he's one of the better athletes with big-time production on his resume in the entire NFL, IMO.

I'm sure he won't be an exclusive LB. I'm sure the Ravens will play him with his hand on the ground some, similar to how the Ravens play Terrell Suggs. Keep in mind, he's probably either going to be playing next to or opposite Richard Seymour a lot of the time. With him finally playing on a decent defense, he's my pre-season favorite for Defensive Player of the Year if the trade goes through. He won't be double and triple teamed nearly as much as he's been with the Panthers and he's one of the better athletes with big-time production on his resume in the entire NFL, IMO.

I agree that they will have him playing end some of the time, but i read that they wanted him to replace Vrabel as an OLB. Coming from experiance tall ends are far better then tall OLBs, and he is a REALLY tall dude. I just see him going there and ending up like earnie on the Lions, or Vilma on the Saints. It will be somewhat of a good aquisition but i dont see him doing THAT much better playing for a 3-4 team.

Lewis: Jones the LT for now

By GEOFF HOBSON

March 19, 2009

RSS

ShareThis

Updated: 5 p.m.

Before heading to the NFL annual meeting this weekend in Dana Point, Calif., head coach Marvin Lewis said Thursday that his Bengals have fewer questions than his first three teams here and that Levi Jones is still his left tackle.

After returning from the University of Cincinnati's Pro Day for draft prospects, Lewis said that about 10 people from the NFL told him they felt the Bengals had upgraded over last year following the signing of wide receiver Laveranues Coles, as well as the re-signings of running back Cedric Benson and safety Chris Crocker.

Lewis also said that the Bengals will "probably," sign two players before the April 25-26 NFL Draft that will compete for starting jobs. Five-time Pro Bowl safety Roy Williams would obviously do more than that as the Bengals planned to talk to his agent after what defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer called a good workout at Paul Brown Stadium Thursday morning.

"He looked athletic and strong," Zimmer said.

Lewis spent much of the past two days with Williams and came away impressed.

"He's a great football player and he's a wonderful guy," Lewis said. "I'm glad we got to know him and he got to know us. He'd be a good asset for us. You can never have too many players and this guy has been an outstanding player. He makes plays that win games."

Zimmer, who dined with Williams Wednesday night, said his technique looked raw early in the workout but he saw a lot of things that lifted Williams to four of his Pro Bowls while Zimmer was the defensive coordinator in Dallas.

"He was (a two-way safety) for me," said Zimmer about Williams' ability to cover as well as play one the NFL's most fearsome run defense at his position.

Asked if it looked like he could still do that after watching him, he said, "Yes.

"He's out of shape like everybody this time of year, but he looked good," Zimmer said.

Zimmer also said he 's not going to use a rotation if two guys prove they're the best.

"I wouldn't think you bring in a guy like that to be in a rotation," Zimmer said. "I'm not one to rotate guys just to appease somebody. That doesn't sound too smart. If he's the best guy, he plays."

Lewis also had high praise for Jones and wouldn't comment on a published report that said the Bengals are actively trying to trade him. Jones battled injuries all year long and missed the last six games with back and hamstring problems, but Lewis says he's ready to play.

"He's had some injuries. He overcame injuries," Lewis said. "He fights his butt off. I love his temperament and how he goes about it. He's a great pro for us, the way he approaches the game and the way he approaches Sunday.

"He's here right now with the contract. He should be ready to play. He missed most of last season so he would be ready to play and did some things in the offseason to prepare himself to be ready to play this season," Lewis said. "Levi is here. Levi is the left tackle."

Lewis also said that he expects wide receiver Chad Ocho Cinco to be with the team despite a hot stove full of reports the Bengals are going to trade him. But he wouldn't speculate if he'll be here for the March 30 start of offseason workouts. Ocho Cinco failed to engineer a trade by missing all of last year's voluntary work.

"It's voluntary," Lewis said. "I expect all our guys here until I hear from them."

Lewis says the club doesn't have much salary cap room because of the huge payout due the sixth pick in the draft and because last year's No. 1 pick, Keith Rivers, didn't hit his one-time play-time incentive because of the broken jaw. That's believed to be about $3 million.

"But we've got some irons in the fire," he said.

all last spring Lewis said Chad would be here and he did, if he says Levi is the LT, why waste a pick on a LT, there are so many other huge holes on this team. I say move on to the next problem which is pass rush then center.

Here's a wacky suggestion, say we sign a free agent center and Levi is OK and back to form like Marvin is saying. Then we trade down with someone wanting Crabtree and we get a 1st and a 2nd, so now you have a mid round 1st and a high 2nd and a mid round 2nd. 3 first day picks.

mid 1st - Rey Maualuga

high 2nd - Peria Jerry

mid 2nd - Connor Barwin

I would sit back and just smile thru the rest of the draft

Here's a wacky suggestion, say we sign a free agent center and Levi is OK and back to form like Marvin is saying. Then we trade down with someone wanting Crabtree and we get a 1st and a 2nd, so now you have a mid round 1st and a high 2nd and a mid round 2nd. 3 first day picks.

mid 1st - Rey Maualuga

high 2nd - Peria Jerry

mid 2nd - Connor Barwin

I would sit back and just smile thru the rest of the draft

:D:D:D:D:D

That would be cool

A little nugget from Hobson.

"But according to Biggs, people in the league are telling him the Bengals' asking price isn't all that high."

Note: Biggs is the source of the Chicago Sun Times trade rumors.

Former Bears T John Tait was just moved to the Reserve/Retired list and Chris Williams is going to be playing RT next season in his place. The Bears are also looking to replace incumbent LT John St. Clair and many mocks have them selecting an OT at #16 from amongst Britton, Beatty and Oher.

Coincidence??

Give me the Bears 2nd rounder and this is a done deal.