NFL Draft Coundown's new mock

Wraith

How would you feel if got Andre Smith and Alex Mack for our first two picks, I post this because it is an intriguing combination. I am all for Maualuga and I still have serious questions about Smith but if someone told me we ended up with Smith and Mack I don't think I would be all that disappointed.

I think the two would make an outstanding upgrade to our o-line. Mack is actually the Center I want the most. He has LONG been considered (until just recently) the top Center in the draft, has the intelligence to make the calls at the line, and the bulk to handle what he is going to face against the AFCN opponents.

Smith, while still a bit of a risk, is still the same guy he was when he was playing at Alabama and that is the same guy who was once considered the best player in the draft. If he didn't take his shirt off at his pro day, I bet half the conversation wouldn't be happening. He's always been a fat guy and what makes him any different from any other fat guy coming into the league with the thought that a structured wieght lifting routine would do him wonders ?? Wasn't Sims considered as having anything BUT the typical football body coming into the draft last year ??

Give me Smith and Mack and I'm happy. Go DE and RB in the 3rd and everything else is gravy.

Yeah, I'd be cool with that...

Reminds me of the Jets Ferguson/Mangold year. They would both be solid picks... but you're not improving the defense at all, and relying on rookies and Collins to upgrade the O-line. That's a whole lot of unproven youth on something as important as the O-line. It would be a very obvious damn the present/rebuild for the future decision, which isn't really in keeping with the signing of Coles.

I wouldn't complain... but I also wouldn't expect the team to play very well for the first half of the season - so it's a "2011 is our year" type of scenario.

Reminds me of the Jets Ferguson/Mangold year. They would both be solid picks... but you're not improving the defense at all, and relying on rookies and Collins to upgrade the O-line. That's a whole lot of unproven youth on something as important as the O-line. It would be a very obvious damn the present/rebuild for the future decision, which isn't really in keeping with the signing of Coles.

I wouldn't complain... but I also wouldn't expect the team to play very well for the first half of the season - so it's a "2011 is our year" type of scenario.

...And that's exactly why we won't choose an OT with the 2st pick. Marvin knows that this upcoming season is a pivotal season in his coaching career and has said that the team needs to win now. If we were in full 2011 mode, there's no way the team would've gave Coles the kind of contract he got. Marvin has been trying to get an impact pash rusher since 2003 and he finally has a chance to get one of the top two pash rushers this year or at the very least, a bonafide run stopper in Raji.

I would even expect that the team would draft Rey or even a receiver before an offensive linemen in this year's crop. I think the linemen are decent after Jason Smith and Monroe, but Marvin said at the Combine that there very few "Franchise" types in this draft and I can't say I disagree with him on that.

Don't get me wrong, we still need lineman, but last year proved that we can get a guys after the first round that can be major contributors along the offensive line.

I will say this and move on.

If the Bengals get rid of Levi by one way or another and want to leave the line "as is" in not moving Whitworth, I would be willing to make a bet that A. Smith is being greatly considered at the #6 pick. I have no way of backing that up, just trying to think the way I view the organizations line of thought to be.

If the Bengals get rid of Levi by one way or another and want to leave the line "as is" in not moving Whitworth, I would be willing to make a bet that A. Smith is being greatly considered at the #6 pick. I have no way of backing that up, just trying to think the way I view the organizations line of thought to be.

I totally respect what you are saying, but I believe the Bengals feel they have their OT's in place already with Whit and Collins. Collins showed that he can compete at the NFL level at LT as a early-entry, rookie 4th rounder last season and will only get better at that spot. Whit has also shown he can play OT and as one of the Bengals highest paid offensive linemen, the Bengals must believe that he can play his natural RT spot at least as effectively as he played LT in his rookie season, for the 1st time in his life. Nate Livings at LG would be Whit's replacement and he was maybe the Bengals best linemen down the stretch last season. He is HUGE and has been in the Bengals system for the last several years now. Outside of depth, the only question is at C, and you don't burn a the #6 overall pick to satisfy either of those concerns.

The difference between our best pash rushing LB/DE and Orakpo/Brown/Maybin is likely greater than the difference between our worst LT/RT and Andre Smith. Barring an unexpected event, Smith and Monroe will be gone. IMO, ONLY if one of the two drop and is staring at them at #6, does it even become a conversation.

i would take mack before smith. i don't want smith anywhere around this team. we just got rid of some of the trash here , why would they want to bring in more?

I just read an SI article about Smith in another thread. How could you refer to this kid as trash? In church every Sunday, his coaches love him, he paves over defensive linemen. He's just a naive kid. He's the furthest thing from trash.

i would take mack before smith. i don't want smith anywhere around this team. we just got rid of some of the trash here , why would they want to bring in more?

I just read an SI article about Smith in another thread. How could you refer to this kid as trash? In church every Sunday, his coaches love him, he paves over defensive linemen. He's just a naive kid. He's the furthest thing from trash.

Here's another line of thinking.

Alexander called Stacey the "best RT in football". Even then, he wasn't Franchised. The Bengals chose a place kicker instead.

The year that Stacey WAS Franchised, we didn't have Collins, who the team believes will man one of the OT positions next year. We won't even consider Levi right now, but if he bounces back to his 2004 form, he's a major bonus. I'd even be happy with him in 2009 if he played the way he played down the stretch in '07.

If you consider Collins as a RT only, where would he go in this draft, as an early-entry Junior and 1st team All-American his final season? I believe he showed starting-quality potential last season and he's almost like having an additional Top 15 pick.

BOTTOM LINE: The Bengals have some capable OT's here already. What we don't have is a player anywhere on the roster than is a factor rushing the passer from the LB position or a DT that consisently commands double teams, which also helps the pash rush.

Make Orakpo/Maybin/Brown/Raji the pick and draft linemen with the next 2 picks. Hopefully, draft the safest player that's still available of the 4. Draft a 3rd (comp pick) or 4th round RB to spell Ced and we've upgraded the team in all the most critical areas, assuming one of those first 3 picks is a Center. Draft BPA the remainder of the draft and we're set with 2 outstanding draft classes to build on, since last season.

SIDE NOTE: I read the Ravens are very interested in signing Orlando Pace, which probably means they cut Willie. Who would like Big Willie back as insurance for Whit/Collins?

I dunno they could want Pace on oneside willie on the other.

They want Pace to play RT, for the first time in his career. He is reportedly mulling their offer versus seeing if another team will make an offer for him to stay on the left side.

Willie is outta there. Cutting him is going to save 2.9 million on the cap, for the Ravens.

http://www.kffl.com/player/382/NFL

BOTTOM LINE: The Bengals have some capable OT's here already.

Well, that's undeniable. I just see Smith as a potentially dominant player. At 6, that's what I'd like. I don't get the same feeling from Raji. I see him as a servicable type guy. The way you laid out that draft scenario - if it were to go that way, I wouldn't complain. But I fear Smith will make us regret not taking him.

I totally respect what you are saying, but I believe the Bengals feel they have their OT's in place already with Whit and Collins. Collins showed that he can compete at the NFL level at LT as a early-entry, rookie 4th rounder last season and will only get better at that spot. Whit has also shown he can play OT and as one of the Bengals highest paid offensive linemen, the Bengals must believe that he can play his natural RT spot at least as effectively as he played LT in his rookie season, for the 1st time in his life. Nate Livings at LG would be Whit's replacement and he was maybe the Bengals best linemen down the stretch last season. He is HUGE and has been in the Bengals system for the last several years now. Outside of depth, the only question is at C, and you don't burn a the #6 overall pick to satisfy either of those concerns.

The difference between our best pash rushing LB/DE and Orakpo/Brown/Maybin is likely greater than the difference between our worst LT/RT and Andre Smith. Barring an unexpected event, Smith and Monroe will be gone. IMO, ONLY if one of the two drop and is staring at them at #6, does it even become a conversation.

Once again, if they want to move Whit outside, then I agree with you, but I was referring to the Bengals NOT moving Whit to the outside.

With the line of thought that Whit stays at Guard with Williams AND Levi is gone, I just don't see how the Bengals wouldn't be giving A. Smith serious thought. He has been a dominant player in the SEC. I'm NOT saying I wouldn't have my concerns, but MY concerns aren't what's important here.

BOTTOM LINE: The Bengals have some capable OT's here already.

Well, that's undeniable. I just see Smith as a potentially dominant player. At 6, that's what I'd like. I don't get the same feeling from Raji. I see him as a servicable type guy. The way you laid out that draft scenario - if it were to go that way, I wouldn't complain. But I fear Smith will make us regret not taking him.

Don't get me wrong. I think Smith could potentially be a fine pro, but name me the best RT in football right now?

Solid RT's are easier to get later in the draft than game-changing pash rushers or DTs. Collins might be the Bengals best OT right now, and he was a 4th rounder in the last draft. I personally think he's going to be a star. Our most recent Franchise lineman (Stacey Andrews) was a mid-round pick and we acquired the best C we've had since Kozerski off the waiver wire in Richie Braham.

What we haven't had is a pash rusher or DT that teams actually have to game plan against in many years and we finally have the opportunity to get one of those guys in this draft. For everyone who thought that Alex Mack was the best center in the draft, just watch Raji against him at the Senior Bowl. Besides that, when was the last time an opposing coached gameplanned against a DT in an All-Star game, as Del Rio did against Raji? Outside of that, Maybin, Brown and Orakpo give us a quality as natural pash rushers that's sorely lacking on the roster.