Laveranues Coles gets paid in Cincinnati

Ox

Laveranues Coles gets paid in Cincinnati

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Monday March 09, 2009, 1:35 PM

William Perlman/The Star-Ledger

Former Jets receiver Laveranues Coles left $6 million guaranteed on the table when he left the team last month, but signed an even more lucrative deal with the Bengals last week.The numbers are in on Laveranues Coles' contract and they are off the charts. The former Jets wide receiver and his agent, Roosevelt Barnes, gambled and won big.

Coles, who walked away from a $6 million guaranteed salary in 2009, signed a four-year, $27.5 million deal with the Cincinnati Bengals that guaranteed him a whopping $9.75 million for the 2009 season. It's an unbelievable take for Coles, who at 31, isn't the player he once was.

Coles, who is entering his 10th season, received a $3 million signing bonus, a $4.7 million roster bonus, a $1.9 million base salary and a $100,000 workout bonus all in 2009.

Then, he'll earn base salaries of $4.6 million in 2010, $6.4 million in 2011 and $6.4 million in 2012. He gets a $100,000 workout bonus each year as well.

Wow.

The only problem, however, is that it's the Bengals.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/03/e...iver_coles.html

Who do the Jets have as QB again? Who are their receivers besides Crotchery?

I think their receivers are going to arrive with the team at Rookie camp following the draft....lol They will take a first round WR. I originally thought it would RB, but unless Sanchez falls to them, they are taking a WR!

I find it funny that someone affiliated with the jets makes fun of the bengals. I would bet on the bengals winning a championship long before the jets ever do. Who is their superbowl caliber QB again???

Isn't this the same team that spent billions in free agency last year and still sucked? It will be the same story for them this year. I have no qualms saying that the bengals are a better team right now than the jets are.

Ya but jet's have been quite abit better then us in past 20 years...so I don't blame it's the bengals comment...

Agreed, but this article smells like sour grapes. Basically, we couldn't afford to keep our best reciever and now we have no proven QB...and worst of all he went to the Bengals. Boo-friggin-hoo. Go enjoy watching the Mets collapse again this year, pal.