Why Not Defense With the 6th Pick ??

tanks

just going off Zimmers comments he's focused on the pass rush, so at 6 if OL Smith is gone I think its going to be between Orakpo, Brown or Maybin, they wont say anything because they dont want a repeat of last year when everyone jumped them and started grabbing their guys. Curry is Keith Rogers so I dont think they even look at him. They grab one of the 3 I mentioned and he's worked into the lineup slowly like they did with Sims. After that they plug other holes on the OL. Orakpo is very similar to Pollack, Brown has the best pass rush moves, Maybin has a lot of potential too. Im fine with any of the three, they have to address the pass rush though, its as important as the OL problems.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We obviously need to rush the passer better, but we can't reach. We need a lock impact player at 6. Has anyone else come to grips with a sickness that has you more interested in the NFL draft than the NCAA Tournament, Stanley Cup, World Series, or the NBA Chapionship? It's sad but true for me. Anyway. We have to narrow this down somehow. I guess it depends on Staffords workout. If the Lions don't take Stafford someone will? Which should free up a tackle.

Ice, I'm assuming you meant Keith Rivers in your last post and if so, I would say if by demeanor and what he brings to the field, yes he's like Keith Rivers and that's NOWHERE near a bad thing. He also plays on the opposite side than Rivers which would be an upgrade for us. All that being said, Curry won't be there since moves during free agency have been made.

Ice, I'm assuming you meant Keith Rivers in your last post and if so, I would say if by demeanor and what he brings to the field, yes he's like Keith Rivers and that's NOWHERE near a bad thing. He also plays on the opposite side than Rivers which would be an upgrade for us. All that being said, Curry won't be there since moves during free agency have been made.

youre right Army, I meant Rivers, not a bad thing having Curry, but if you look at the Bengals depth chart Zimmer likes his SAM LBs to be around 250-260, thats why I think theyll look at guys that big, Curry is in the 240-250.

We obviously need to rush the passer better, but we can't reach. We need a lock impact player at 6. Has anyone else come to grips with a sickness that has you more interested in the NFL draft than the NCAA Tournament, Stanley Cup, World Series, or the NBA Chapionship? It's sad but true for me. Anyway. We have to narrow this down somehow. I guess it depends on Staffords workout. If the Lions don't take Stafford someone will? Which should free up a tackle.

no one in the top 5 needs a QB except detroit. well, st. louis might, but their current QB is in the state he is because they couldn't keep the pass rushers off him, so they'll probably go OT as well. seattle might pick stafford and groom his as the eventual replacement for hasselbeck, but with walter jones going on 40, they have more pressing needs at OT as well.

no one in the top 5 needs a QB except detroit. well, st. louis might, but their current QB is in the state he is because they couldn't keep the pass rushers off him, so they'll probably go OT as well. seattle might pick stafford and groom his as the eventual replacement for hasselbeck, but with walter jones going on 40, they have more pressing needs at OT as well.

I believe they will wait another year on their tackle. They want to win now and that is shown by the TJ signing. I believe they will pick a year one impact player, not someone that won't play a prominent role on their team.

Seattle Could very well take a QB to groom behind hassleback and it's not like Hassleback is the greatest QB anyways.

i think he was a pro bowler last year. with some decent receivers, he won't be half bad. at any rate, i don't think seattle's gonna spend a top-5 pick on a QB that'll be groomed - they might look at josh freeman or someone in the second round, but i think picking stafford that high only to groom him for a year or two behind hasselbeck seems wasteful.

i think he was a pro bowler last year. with some decent receivers, he won't be half bad. at any rate, i don't think seattle's gonna spend a top-5 pick on a QB that'll be groomed - they might look at josh freeman or someone in the second round, but i think picking stafford that high only to groom him for a year or two behind hasselbeck seems wasteful.

They just signed Seneca Wallace to a big extension, too. He played well for Hasselbeck last season. I think that Seattle is going to take Raji, as a receiver, offensive tackle of quaterback doesn't make sense, looking at their roster. Raji would be able to step in immediately for Bernard, who they lost in FA to the Giants.

There has been some late talk of Crabtree going to Cleveland, which could cause Orakpo to fall to us at 6. Even if Orakpo is gone, I think Marvin would be just as happy with Everett Brown or Aaron Maybin. The Bengals should have a pretty good scouting report on Brown, after heavily scouting Derrick Harvey from Florida last season.

Any talk of taking another defensive end NOT named Orakpo should only be discussed if the Bengals have traded down more than a few slots. I don't want Brown or Maybin sitting at #6. I have only seen a select few places that consider Brown a top 10 player in the draft and none think Maybin is. I like both of them to a degree, but would have to view both of them a reach at #6.

There has been some late talk of Crabtree going to Cleveland,

the turds will never, ever get crabtree. they have braylon edwards and are hoping donte stallworth will turn out alright, they don't need another reciever. plus, they need help on defense badly, especially in the secondary. which is why i hope/guess/think they'll take CB jenkins at #5, leaving orakpo for us :)

There has been some late talk of Crabtree going to Cleveland,

the turds will never, ever get crabtree. they have braylon edwards and are hoping donte stallworth will turn out alright, they don't need another reciever. plus, they need help on defense badly, especially in the secondary. which is why i hope/guess/think they'll take CB jenkins at #5, leaving orakpo for us :)

With the Browns talking about NOT wanting Crabtree, the Bengals should NOT talk up the possibility of taking him at #6 regardless of their intent. Reason ?? If the Browns say they dont want Crabtree and the Bengals say they do, another team will leap frog us and get him. We need to not say anything at all about Crabtree and preferably ANY of the players and hope he falls to enable a potential trade.

ok you lost me there. we don't want/need crabtree at all...

He's only saying that if anyone thinks the Bengals might take Crabtree, they might trade with the Browns to get him. He rather have team trade with the Bengals to leapfrog Oakland.

Regardless... I doubt very much that the Bengals will trade their #6 pick. Brown had never shown a desire to trade away early picks. I hope they consider it, but more than likely, the Bengals will not be making any trade splashes. They'll just take their draft picks and head to the season.

ok you lost me there. we don't want/need crabtree at all...

He's only saying that if anyone thinks the Bengals might take Crabtree, they might trade with the Browns to get him. He rather have team trade with the Bengals to leapfrog Oakland.

Regardless... I doubt very much that the Bengals will trade their #6 pick. Brown had never shown a desire to trade away early picks. I hope they consider it, but more than likely, the Bengals will not be making any trade splashes. They'll just take their draft picks and head to the season.

Thanks for explaining for me there Derek.

I actually think the Bengals have persued trades down in the past and just have been unable to find a suitable partner in doing so. I don't think year will be any different in the attempts made to move down and grab additional picks if it's possible. If it happens or not is another story...

I could see the Bengals trading down this season, especially if it means acquiring another 2nd or 3rd round pick in the process. Argurably. the best value when the Bengals pick will be OT (either Monroe or possibly Andre Smith) and WR in Crabtree. If at least one of the two are there, a team picking later could jump at the chance to grab what many consider to be one of the two best players in the entire draft at #6. Jenkins is no longer considered a top 10 pick and many teams are projecting him as an NFL FS and the Browns have two pretty good, young CBs already. I believe they'll select Orakpo, if he's there. The Bengals may not see a big dropoff in the grades of players projected to be available at the 6th spot, when compared who might be there in the 15th - 20th range. If that's the case, the Bengals could select a player like Maybin or even a RB like Moreno and get a T and C in the next two picks, while still having at least an extra 3rd to get a starting-quality player.

It's still pretty early and you'll see more players rise and drop on draft boards from the results of their Pro Days and individual workouts. The pash rushers tend to rise faster than any other positions, so that's how I can see Maybin and especially Everett Brown coming into the Bengals radar, if they aren't already there.