Fixing our center position

Clackwoods

We have addressed two big needs on the offensive side of the ball, we have to start examining our center position. I have heard concerns about us having a rookie Center back their so I propose an alternative.

Let's have Bobbie Williams slide to center ( He weighs 345 pounds) who is big enough to handle the big Nose Tackles we face each year.

In the second round we could pick up Duke Robinson and put him at the other Guard spot opposite Whitworth.

Now obviously if they think that Mack or Wood can play in year one then they can just draft him. (I left Unger off because he is a weak body, who is only projected real high because he can play multiple spots on the line)

Another option would be taking Unger in round 3 if he is their, trying him at center and if he fails then we move him to guard.

What do you think?

I don't know why they don't just move Bobbie Williams to center now and get it over with. He has the size, and the brawler attitude that is needed to compete in the AFC north. Draft a guard in the third round or so to maybe attempt to groom into a center in the future. Besides the Bengals have a history of drafting O-linemen out of their position and teaching them to play multiple places along the line.

We have addressed two big needs on the offensive side of the ball, we have to start examining our center position. I have heard concerns about us having a rookie Center back their so I propose an alternative.

Let's have Bobbie Williams slide to center ( He weighs 345 pounds) who is big enough to handle the big Nose Tackles we face each year.

In the second round we could pick up Duke Robinson and put him at the other Guard spot opposite Whitworth.

Now obviously if they think that Mack or Wood can play in year one then they can just draft him. (I left Unger off because he is a weak body, who is only projected real high because he can play multiple spots on the line)

Another option would be taking Unger in round 3 if he is their, trying him at center and if he fails then we move him to guard.

What do you think?

As far as the draft goes, my top 3 are Wood, Unger and Mack. None of those guys will be there when we pick again in round 3. From watching Wood in almost every game of his career, I think he's a future star. If you need proof of this, go back and watch the NFL Network's replay of the Senior Bowl game, where he dominated quietly. He is strong enough and especially intelligent enough to start right away.

Unger would be my 2nd pick, based on the fact that as you mentioned, he is extremely versatile and has even played some LT. He's a Eric Steinbach clone with better strength and he fared well against B.J. Raji in the one-on-one and team drills at the Senior Bowl.

Alex Mack to me is a tad bit overrated and was DESTROYED by Raji. I was surprised by that, honestly. Mayock has him as his #3 C (Has Unger #1) , but I think he might be an upgrade over Ghiaciuc. Mack looks more like a natural G to me, as he doesn't have the functional upper body strength to consistently match up with the NT's in our division (All 3 teams we face in the AFC North will be 3-4 defenses this year).

What do you think?

As far as the draft goes, my top 3 are Wood, Unger and Mack. None of those guys will be there when we pick again in round 3. From watching Wood in almost every game of his career, I think he's a future star. If you need proof of this, go back and watch the NFL Network's replay of the Senior Bowl game, where he dominated quietly. He is strong enough and especially intelligent enough to start right away.

Unger would be my 2nd pick, based on the fact that as you mentioned, he is extremely versatile and has even played some LT. He's a Eric Steinbach clone with better strength and he fared well against B.J. Raji in the one-on-one and team drills at the Senior Bowl.

Alex Mack to me is a tad bit overrated and was DESTROYED by Raji. I was surprised by that, honestly. Mayock has him as his #3 C (Has Unger #1) , but I think he might be an upgrade over Ghiaciuc. Mack looks more like a natural G to me, as he doesn't have the functional upper body strength to consistently match up with the NT's in our division (All 3 teams we face in the AFC North will be 3-4 defenses this year).

that's a great post.

unger's versatility is what rates him so high, he also is a high character guy and was a leader on the ducks, but he only had 22 reps at the combine. wood was the guy i was most impressed with in the combine/senior bowl. i think 2 out of the three of them will be available in the second round.

most of the teams with questions at center have addressed their needs during FA, with the stealers and bills as possible exceptions. so i would think if the stealers don't take one of the three at the end of the first round possibly all three will be available.

as far as the second tier guys, caldwell came in a lot bigger than he was listed in college, and that was one of the biggest knocks on him coming coming out, the other being his strength and that held with only 24 reps. luigs doesn't seem very atheletic and is smaller than caldwell. shipley probably had the best workout of any of them, but i guess he has freakishly short arms, for whatever that's worth.

after all that rambling i want eric wood at the top of the second.

Marvin was very clear that the experiment of moving Bobbie to center was in his opinion a complete failure.

So I don't see that happening no matter how many times it is brought up here.

I still see us picking up a veteran FA center, speifically to groom the rookie center we'll take no later than r4, and more probably earlier.

Marvin was very clear that the experiment of moving Bobbie to center was in his opinion a complete failure.

So I don't see that happening no matter how many times it is brought up here.

I still see us picking up a veteran FA center, speifically to groom the rookie center we'll take no later than r4, and more probably earlier.

If that is the case then we might as well forget our second pick because it will be going to the center position.

Now we can draft a center, trade Chad for the 13th or 16th pick and draft Monroe/Rey Rey or Raji or Orakpo/Andre Smith or Oher

I actually don't want a tackle at #6 unless the right guy is available, Jason Smith will be gone, and noboby else is worth it, Eugene Monroe has knee problems, Andre Smith is a RT and RT's are not worth #6 pick, Micheal Oher is inconsistent, wuteva that means, it means he ain't worth the #6 overall selection. I think we should take a tackle in the 2nd round, Center in the 3rd. We should take a Def. End or Raji.

I actually don't want a tackle at #6 unless the right guy is available, Jason Smith will be gone, and noboby else is worth it, Eugene Monroe has knee problems, Andre Smith is a RT and RT's are not worth #6 pick, Micheal Oher is inconsistent, wuteva that means, it means he ain't worth the #6 overall selection. I think we should take a tackle in the 2nd round, Center in the 3rd. We should take a Def. End or Raji.

i don't think there will be a center available in the third that would be an upgrade.

i still like joel bell the tackle from furman in the fourth or fifth

You also have to take a look at what the teams picking before us have done in free agency. We have a thread to discuss that, but it's relevant to thinking one of the top 2 OT's could very possibly be there at #6 due to the other teams moves made.

i think that could be exactly why the top two tackles are gone. everyone pretty much expects j. smith to be gaone after his combine. now that seattle has signed what was potentially their biggest weakness they could look for a guy to replace walter jones, and that guy could be eugene monroe. i heard something about him having bum knees i'll have to look into that. if that's the case would the bengals want to choose someone who is broken even if he is available.

this draft seems so deep at tackle, i think we can get a good one later. also, our biggest need seems to be at the right tackle position and the top four, with exception of a. smith, don't have the build to be right tackles.

You also have to take a look at what the teams picking before us have done in free agency. We have a thread to discuss that, but it's relevant to thinking one of the top 2 OT's could very possibly be there at #6 due to the other teams moves made.

i think that could be exactly why the top two tackles are gone. everyone pretty much expects j. smith to be gaone after his combine. now that seattle has signed what was potentially their biggest weakness they could look for a guy to replace walter jones, and that guy could be eugene monroe. i heard something about him having bum knees i'll have to look into that. if that's the case would the bengals want to choose someone who is broken even if he is available.

this draft seems so deep at tackle, i think we can get a good one later. also, our biggest need seems to be at the right tackle position and the top four, with exception of a. smith, don't have the build to be right tackles.

I think the success that they have had in the past with non-first round lineman could cause them to pass on one in this years draft. Just off the top I know they got Steiny, Whit, and Collins past the first.

I actually don't want a tackle at #6 unless the right guy is available, Jason Smith will be gone, and noboby else is worth it, Eugene Monroe has knee problems, Andre Smith is a RT and RT's are not worth #6 pick, Micheal Oher i

I agree with this part....

think we should take a tackle in the 2nd round, Center in the 3rd. We should take a Def. End or Raji.

-Disagree I think we need to go center in round 2 if we want "our guy" not leftovers.

-Tackle or Guard in round 3 <adjust Collins & Whitworth as you see fit

-If Orakpo or top LB available pass on Raji imo.

these are the Centers that are left

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2009C.php

Grey Ruegamer, Giants. Age: 33.

One of the more capable backup offensive linemen in the NFL.

Duke Preston, Bills. Age: 27.

In addition to sucking royally, Duke Preston ruined Buffalo's chances of kicking a field goal in the last seconds of the first half of the season finale because he started a fight with some of the Patriots defenders.

Eric Ghiaciuc, Bengals. Age: 28.

Eric Ghiaciuc was a major liability for the Bengals in 2008. He'll sign on as a backup somewhere.

Melvin Fowler, Bills. Age: 30.

A poor center coming off shoulder surgery. The only positive Melvin Fowler brings to the table is starting experience (37 starts last three seasons). He'll be an OK backup somewhere.

Al Johnson, Dolphins. Age: 30.

Nick Leckey, Rams. Age: 27.

Jeremy Newberry, Chargers. Age: 33.

Justin Geisinger, Redskins. Age: 27.

Lennie Friedman, Browns. Age: 33.

Brett Romberg, Rams. Age: 29.

Ben Wilkerson (ERFA), Falcons. Age: 26. - Re-signed with Falcons

Chris White, Texans. Age: 26. - Re-signed with Texans

LeCharles Bentley, Browns. Age: 29.

Andy McCollum, Lions. Age: 39.

Cory Withrow, Rams. Age: 34.

Steve McKinney, Seahawks. Age: 33.

Mike Flynn, Patriots. Age: 35.

I was going to wait until later, but with the Seahawks getting TJ they no longer need to take a WR in the first. They have, by all accounts, a decent secondary that would improve drastically if they had some assistance on the d-line. Now, factor in losing Rocky Bernard in free agency and you have very good chances on the Seahawks giving much consideration to Raji. Will it be considered a reach ?? Sure, but it will also be considered a HUGE upgrade for their defense and the impact would be far reaching overall.

That's just a thought that would increase the chances of one of the top 2 OT's dropping to #6. That and Crabtree would have teams BEGGING TO trade up to our spot. Anyway around, I'm really happy to be sitting at #6 in this draft !!!

That's just a thought that would increase the chances of one of the top 2 OT's dropping to #6. That and Crabtree would have teams BEGGING TO trade up to our spot. Anyway around, I'm really happy to be sitting at #6 in this draft !!!

Crabtree, and also depending on what happens with the QBs probably one of them at least. Best case scenario to me is having both QBs and Crabtree on the board at 6, and holding an auction.

I was going to wait until later, but with the Seahawks getting TJ they no longer need to take a WR in the first. They have, by all accounts, a decent secondary that would improve drastically if they had some assistance on the d-line. Now, factor in losing Rocky Bernard in free agency and you have very good chances on the Seahawks giving much consideration to Raji. Will it be considered a reach ?? Sure, but it will also be considered a HUGE upgrade for their defense and the impact would be far reaching overall.

I have the feeling in a couple seasons we are going to be kicking ourselves for not taking Crabtree. If Larry Fitzgerald were sitting their at six would we take him? I think we would and we would trade Chad in a blink of an eye or we would have the best and deepest receiving corps in the NFL.

I have the feeling in a couple seasons we are going to be kicking ourselves for not taking Crabtree. If Larry Fitzgerald were sitting their at six would we take him? I think we would and we would trade Chad in a blink of an eye or we would have the best and deepest receiving corps in the NFL.

Fitzgerald wouldn't have gotten the reps here. Maybe as the #3. But certainly not 1st team reps. So production and more importantly development would be stunted.

That being said, the oline needs to have top priority unless we want a repeat of last season. The thing is though, even if we luck out and land OT in 1 and C in 2, that still means we are starting two rookies on the line which usually equals disaster.

The idea is that you draft for depth, not salvation. Draft picks usually don't come into their own until maybe year 3. Draft for depth, let the players develop, plug the holes through free agency. Then when your draft picks mature, they can mentor the new draft picks, eventually being replaced by the younger class.

But counting on draft picks to immediately be able to come in and produce is fools gold. Right now we have no C and no RT. The best of free agency is over and done with. So, next season we will either be starting 2 rooks on the oline, or we will have signed "Alex Steponivich part deux" and "go to war with what we have."

You cannot ignore the Center position. Well, you can... Just ask the Bengals. But the results will not be good.