Where is the improvement?

combatbengal

Will you be saying the same thing to me when we don't make the playoffs again? There are a number of studs out there on FA and we haven't tried to get any.

See, I guess that's the difference. I don't plan on making the playoffs this year, because unlike some, I don't think we are only one player away from going to the Super Bowl. You don't lose the picks we have in the past drafts and just think you are right there still. Can we improve ?? Yes. Are there players out there that can help ?? Yes. Do the Bengals do this every year ?? Yes. Will we probably be having this conversation again this time next year ?? Yes.

I'm just in the full blown mode of accepting we are rebuilding.

I get it, I get it. It's just that I'm already terribly aware of that fact and don't need to see it fused into every thread on the board.

It's old...

I agree. It is old and I am as guilty of it as anybody. But, you nail Mike Brown in many of your own threads, so do you just not like other people to do it or what?

Yes I have, but that is something I have gotten away from unless I'm trying to be funny about it. I'm just sick of the ones that are in constant bashing mode. You have to know what I'm talking about here.

Hey, I heard the Bengals got rid of whoever. F*cking Mike Brown can't run sh*t.

Hey, the Bengals are bringing in whoever. F*cking Mike Brown can't run sh*t.

Hey, I heard Mike Brown is giving away money. F*cking Mike Brown can't run s**t. I'll take his money, but f*ck him...

Anyway, bash away if you choose to, I'll stop bringing it up. While we are at it, maybe if we collectively try, we could piss in the ocean to change to salt content.

To quote Sam Elliot.......have it your way dude...

Can we improve ?? Yes. Are there players out there that can help ?? Yes. Do the Bengals do this every year ?? Yes. Will we probably be having this conversation again this time next year ?? Yes.

Yup. They're officially grinding now. All talk about "being proactive" seems to be limited to showing interest in Ward while letting their own players test the contract offers the Bengals have on the table. Same old same old. And that means we know what's coming. Long slow pursuits of players who aren't just playing hard to get. And after that plays out for a awhile....talk about free agency's post-draft 2nd wave of newly released talent.

I'm just in the full blown mode of accepting we are rebuilding.

That's the problem. We're not doing anything to improve or rebuild. We've got the same leadership, same coaches, same scheme of maneuvers, same COA, etc. If I were you're CDR, and failed to ensure that we were combat ready, do you think I'd stay in command that long? If you were my 1SG and failed to train, mentor, guide and or coach our Soldiers, would you last that long? The answer is no, because we expect perfection. We want leaders who care about mission success and Soldiers. The Bengals don't have that same fire. When we go to the field, we spend hours in MDMP, and war gaming for all missions. Even the simplest missions. Do you see the Bengals do that? Are they looking at their deficiencies and looking at players on FA to fill those holes? No. So how are we improving? How are we rebuilding? We're not.

You have to consider the philosophy of this team. They are a "BUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT" minded team. I'm not willing to say that philosophy is incorrect either. I made a post in another thread about losing all the top round draft picks we have to either injuries or stupidity and it doesn't take much to see why this organization has had the challenges it has.

How different is this team with a healthy Pollack and non stupid Thurman. What about picks like Irons that got hurt. Or even the ones that are no longer with the team ??

I think it comes down to the success or lackthereof in drafting players that stay healthy, stay out of trouble, and are able to contribute early and then prove themselves good enough to stay with the team. Seriously, go back and look at our draft history and see how many top 3 picks over the years are not with the team.

To compare what we do in the Army and what they do in the NFL just isn't applicable in my opinion. Those guys are young millionaires (although I'm told that's not a lot of money) playing a game. The Army is about a set of core values that most who devote their life to it, hold as the basis for everything they do in life. However, I get the point you are trying to make.

Crabtree will be the man

The hell with getting Crabtree let's tighten up the rest of the positions and get this thing rolling. Contrary to popular belief the Bengals are not going to the Superbowl next year, let's develop Simpson and Caldwell and we will not miss a step with T.J. when it comes time for us to make a superbowl run. Give me an offensive linemen to block for Carson and some running backs and that passing game will open up. Wide Receiver should not be one of our top priorities right now that's not one of our biggest areas of need even without T.J. . I'm not mad that T.J. is gone at all, I loved him as a Bengal but by him leaving makes them not get complacent with that roster. They would have been complacent and would have not thrown anymore money out there and we would have been stuck with the same offense that was struggling in 2007. Every year we are looking for the glamour positions to be our first draft pick, we don't need that this year we need another lock down offensive linemen to give Carson time so these second year receivers can get into their routes.

I guess I'm more optimistic in what Caldwell brings and hoping Simpson comes on this season.

A part of me is happy half the headcase duo is gone. Sadly I wish it was the other half.

I totally agree. That's the reason they drafted these guys in the first place, knowing that the T.J./Chad era will be ending soon. Simpson needs to be working hard, preparing for the season, right about now. Opposite Chad, a starting WR spot has come open. We already have potential replacements in place with Simpson, Caldwell and Henry, who all recent high draft picks. It really wouldn't make sense to draft or sign a high-priced FA receiver, unless it's a 1 or 2 year deal.

Hopefully, the Bengals can up their offers to the guys they have been pursuing, outside of Coles. The more I think about it, I'm happy it worked out this way. Three weeks ago, it didn't even seem remotely close that we'd have a chance to sign T.J., anyway, Didn't he say something like he was 98 or 99 percent sure he would sign elsewhere?. I just wish they woud have made the same offer to Jason Brown, that they did with T.J.

We now have money to sign at least 2 impact players from what's left of the market.