Forget Andre Smith...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping that if we go O-line, it's Jason Smith. I didn't realize how much of a beast he is athletically, with 33 reps in the bench press and a very intelligent player to boot. I really don't think he'll be there but he looks like the top OT right now. I would be equally happy with Eugene Monroe, though.

No to Oher, unless we trade down into the late mid first round.

No to Andre Smith. Period. He's Melvin Tuten '09. What an idiot to tell an arena full of NFL scouts and front office people that he hasn't been working out at all. He looks like a 10-15 pick right now and he's clearly lost millions.

Watching NFL Network's replay of the Senior Bowl and for those who are in love with T.J., Juaquin Iglesias is a T.J. clone. Might be a decent 2nd or 3rd round pick for some team.

Oh yeah, no to Rey-Rey, too. He's got bust written all over him unless he goes to a team with some space eating DT's. His block shedding ability is horrific.

They cannot find Andre Smith. How can you miss a big fat peice of crap, how could he dissapear? The dude just cost him self $10-15 million.

i was watching the combine and seen the same thing. how fk'ing dumb are some of these kids , who the hell is his agent. why in the hell do they not know where he is. unreal what a fk'ing idiot!!!

I'm hoping that if we go O-line, it's Jason Smith. I didn't realize how much of a beast he is athletically, with 33 reps in the bench press and a very intelligent player to boot.

The combine is my first real look at the guy and he immediately looked the part of a blue chipper better than Monroe or Oher.

I would be equally happy with Eugene Monroe, though.

Of all of the top prospects he's the most slightly built in the trunk and lower legs.

No potential pick at #6 scares me more than Oher. Because in games or drills you see the same thing. A wierd lack of focus and mental misfires.

No to Andre Smith. Period. He's Melvin Tuten '09.

Yes to Andre Smith. Finally. He's now in play at #6 and that may not have been true the day before. And no, he's not Melvin Tuten or Stacy the Dancing Bear. He's Willie Anderson with much better feet.

He looks like a 10-15 pick right now and he's clearly lost millions.

I'd say he looks like a 5-10 pick and yeah he probably cost himself millions. For the record, I consider both things to be good news.

I'm hoping that if we go O-line, it's Jason Smith. I didn't realize how much of a beast he is athletically, with 33 reps in the bench press and a very intelligent player to boot.

The combine is my first real look at the guy and he immediately looked the part of a blue chipper better than Monroe or Oher.

I would be equally happy with Eugene Monroe, though.

Of all of the top prospects he's the most slightly built in the trunk and lower legs.

No potential pick at #6 scares me more than Oher. Because in games or drills you see the same thing. A wierd lack of focus and mental misfires.

No to Andre Smith. Period. He's Melvin Tuten '09.

Yes to Andre Smith. Finally. He's now in play at #6 and that may not have been true the day before. And no, he's not Melvin Tuten or Stacy the Dancing Bear. He's Willie Anderson with much better feet.

He looks like a 10-15 pick right now and he's clearly lost millions.

I'd say he looks like a 5-10 pick and yeah he probably cost himself millions. For the record, I consider both things to be good news.

Decent post, but I've watched this guy in a few games last year, notably against Florida and against Georgia, where he didn't play well at all. I don't think he has LT feet, although he has excellent technique. His feet are nowhere near the level of Willie's, in his prime.

If you think he's strictly a RT type, there is no way you can draft him that high. Would you really feel comfortable having him start in year 2 (at the latest) and go one-on-one on the left side with guys like Terrell Suggs and James Harrison 4 times a year. With his body type, those types of LT's struggle against speed rushers. With issues already concerning his conditioning, I think his grade is similar to Chris Williams last year, who went to the Bears in the mid-first.

...and Ricky Williams' brain, apparently.

So far he's shown that when he doesn't have someone else running every second of his life, he can't stay in shape and he can't handle basic life responsibilities. This guy looks like a disaster waiting to happen in the offseason.

Any guy who acts that flaky has to be a gamble. Just not sure how much to discount him at this point. I think he needs to show some maturity over the next couple months to be a realistic pick at #6. That high in the draft, you can't take a guy who has a significant chance of mentally flaming out.

I like the talent, but haven't we seen this movie enough times lately?

I don't think he has LT feet, although he has excellent technique. His feet are nowhere near the level of Willie's, in his prime.

I disagree. Scouts had noted problems with Willie Anderson's footwork long before he was drafted and many of them felt he could never make the adjustment to LT in the pros. And that's the same argument being used today in regards to Andre Smith, right? Regardless, the Bengals drafted Anderson, acknowledged the footwork issues and said they were no bid deal, and they never looked back. Then again, after a short experiement at LT in his rookie season they never once gave Anderson any consideration as a LT despite numerous occasions when that position screamed for an upgrade. In fact, they scoffed at the idea each time it was publically considered.

If you think he's strictly a RT type, there is no way you can draft him that high.

Again, I disagree. Teams that need a LT will have to judge if Andre Smith can play that position in the pros and if they conclude he can't they'll pass on him...so a slight slip in the ratings based upon those factors may be justified. But RT just happens to be the Bengals biggest area of concern and Andre Smith represents a nearly perfect fit for the Bengals at #6. Best, if judged strictly as a RT prospect Andre Smith is superior to Wille Anderson IF the character questions are satisfied.

Would you really feel comfortable having him start in year 2 (at the latest) and go one-on-one on the left side with guys like Terrell Suggs and James Harrison 4 times a year.

Again, I see a RT so the question you're asking isn't relevant to me. Rather, I'd plug Andre Smith in on the right side and never look back.

So far he's shown that when he doesn't have someone else running every second of his life, he can't stay in shape and he can't handle basic life responsibilities. This guy looks like a disaster waiting to happen in the offseason.

Overreact much?

For all of the apoplectic fits now on display on the NFL Network I can't help remembering a few things. Amongst them, Charlie Cassely, Jon Gruden, and Jamie Dukes agreeing that Andre Smith is still the best OLT prospect in this draft and by a fairly wide margin according to Casserly. Furthermore, Dukes acknowledge Smith has been working out hard and by some accounts has dropped more than a dozen pounds since the end of the season. He further acknowledged Smith's transgression, such as it is, is limited to a complete and total failure to train for combine related track style events. Or if you prefer, the types of things that won't matter one friggin' little bit a week from now.

Last, there was Gruden's remarks about teams taking Smith off their boards because of this tempest in a combine teacup. "Go ahead and take him off you boards. I'm taking him."

I imagine all of them might have a holdout, but a lot of players signed early last year with the exception of Rivers and Harvey. Andre Smith is an immature kid who is lazy and prob. would love to skip all offseason workouts. It took almost two months to find an agent. He even had a head start before his college career was over.

I'm officially a Jason Smith fan. From the Enquirer:

YOU CAN QUOTE ME: The best quote of the week, and the winner of the Brutal Honesty Award, goes to Baylor offensive tackle Jason Smith when he was asked about finishing blocks: "When I'm on the field, I take a lot of pride in physically assaulting somebody. As far as finishing them off, that's just a part of the block, so you don't really think too much of it because that's what you go on the field to do."

YOU CAN QUOTE ME: The best quote of the week, and the winner of the Brutal Honesty Award, goes to Baylor offensive tackle Jason Smith when he was asked about finishing blocks: "When I'm on the field, I take a lot of pride in physically assaulting somebody. As far as finishing them off, that's just a part of the block, so you don't really think too much of it because that's what you go on the field to do."

I wrote that like a week ago, he also called out Demarcus Ware and said that if he was playing LT then Ware wouldn't get a sack!

I wrote that like a week ago, he also called out Demarcus Ware and said that if he was playing LT then Ware wouldn't get a sack!

I like that in a player, though. He's a competitor and not just a paycheck-collector (Andre Smith). Jonathan Ogden was like that coming out.

For all of the apoplectic fits now on display on the NFL Network I can't help remembering a few things. Amongst them, Charlie Cassely, Jon Gruden, and Jamie Dukes agreeing that Andre Smith is still the best OLT prospect in this draft and by a fairly wide margin according to Casserly. Furthermore, Dukes acknowledge Smith has been working out hard and by some accounts has dropped more than a dozen pounds since the end of the season. He further acknowledged Smith's transgression, such as it is, is limited to a complete and total failure to train for combine related track style events. Or if you prefer, the types of things that won't matter one friggin' little bit a week from now.

Last, there was Gruden's remarks about teams taking Smith off their boards because of this tempest in a combine teacup. "Go ahead and take him off you boards. I'm taking him."

We'll see. If it's as you describe and he's in football shape but not combine shape that's one thing. I'd heard he was simply in *bad* shape. I'm certainly not worried about the guy's 40 time any more than you are. Still, I am worried about why he just didn't train for the combine. Everybody knows to get in shape for the combine. This guy comes from a big football school, so it's not like it should have been a mystery.

When you have a guy who seems like he can't do the basic life skills types of things, can't prepare for the combine, can't work with an agent, it's not a good sign. As I said the first time, if I was going to take him I'd want to learn a lot more about what happened with him. I want to know what's going on in his life or what's not going on in his brain, that he couldn't do what a few hundred other guys didn't have problems figuring out.

What this team *doesn't* need is more drama. As we've learned the hard way, being the most talented person on the team means nothing when you can't stay on the field.

Either way, I'm sure we'll learn a helluvalot more about what happened in the next couple weeks leading up to his pro day. What will interesting is sifting through the PR his agent puts out for the truth.

We'll see. If it's as you describe and he's in football shape but not combine shape that's one thing. I'd heard he was simply in *bad* shape. I'm certainly not worried about the guy's 40 time any more than you are. Still, I am worried about why he just didn't train for the combine. Everybody knows to get in shape for the combine. This guy comes from a big football school, so it's not like it should have been a mystery.

When you have a guy who seems like he can't do the basic life skills types of things, can't prepare for the combine, can't work with an agent, it's not a good sign. As I said the first time, if I was going to take him I'd want to learn a lot more about what happened with him. I want to know what's going on in his life or what's not going on in his brain, that he couldn't do what a few hundred other guys didn't have problems figuring out.

What this team *doesn't* need is more drama. As we've learned the hard way, being the most talented person on the team means nothing when you can't stay on the field.

Either way, I'm sure we'll learn a helluvalot more about what happened in the next couple weeks leading up to his pro day. What will interesting is sifting through the PR his agent puts out for the truth.

I agree.

Isn't this the same guy that missed the biggest bowl game of his collegiate career, due to having some type of interraction with an agent?

If that's the case, why did it take so long for him to hire an agent, costing him valuable time in preparing for the Combine?

My whole point is, the Bengals shouldn't be looking for reasons to draft a player at #6 overall. These are the types of things teams have to sort through when drafting guys like Jason Shirley in the 5th round when it comes to common sense decision making, work ethic and conditioning. Imagine the fallout if we somehow drafted Andre Smith and he ended up being a flop, indeed? I know he's talented, but he's still an NFL RT to me and with the baggage and questions surrounding him, it makes sense for the Bengals to pass on this guy.

No matter how good of a Pro Day he has, he has certainly lost millions this weekend. Some NFL teams will not be able to overlook how he mis-prepared for the biggest weekend of his life, so far.