Marvin talking about the 3-4

icehole3

Im sure giggles was laughing it up today at the combine

zsports132248-20061210-ben-mm2-038-nc.jpg

per CTrent

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/ctrent.html

One of the big lines of questioning was on the 3-4.

Here's some interesting stuff, first off, on one of the advantages:

"It's better on your cap because it doesn't cost as much for that outside backer than it does a franchise defensive end. Your special teams are better because you have more linebackers. ... It's a good thing, I think it's an unintended consequence."

Why haven't you gone to the 3-4 in Cincinnati?

"Next question?"

Could Geathers and Odom play?

"I know Robert can because we did it with him and it would be a matter of whether Antwan would ? I'm not quite ready? I don't know. Mike and I have talked about that. Mike Zimmer and I have talked about it."

Is it a possibility?

"I don't know. I think I like things we did this last year and I feel good about that and knowing where we are and I wouldn't want to make that transition right now because we'd be starting over again right now. The things that we built with the fits in the running game and the things guys understand right now, I'd prefer to continue that way knowing we've taught these guys to do some things that incorporate that.

"We were 4-3 (in Baltimore) but we took Peter Boulware and constructed the defense around him. He was one of those guys coming out of Florida State. That's the same thing we?ve done at our place, we just haven't found our Peter Boulware, so we?ll try again this year.

Yeah, that's why we drafted David (Pollack) to be that guy."

Find that guy seems to be difficult:

"We've got to find a rusher. It's plain and simple. You've got to find a person out there who can get you 10-plus sacks. That's what the key to the defense is. The team that sacks the quarterback the most, doesn?t win all the games, but pressure creates turnovers and turnovers create wins."

Pollack was supposed to be your Boulware?

"The last guy that sacked Ben Roethlisberger three times was David Pollack. It's plain and simple. You create a void, he's a No. 1 pick, who got hurt and played one season of football for us. He was our Carson Palmer for the defense, he was our energy, he was our passion. That's why we drafted him, that?s why we were just holding our breath when we got to pick him because of what we were adding."

HappyWave.gif

"The last guy that sacked Ben Roethlisberger three times was David Pollack. It's plain and simple. You create a void, he's a No. 1 pick, who got hurt and played one season of football for us. He was our Carson Palmer for the defense, he was our energy, he was our passion. That's why we drafted him, that?s why we were just holding our breath when we got to pick him because of what we were adding."

But injuries are just an excuse, right?

(((sniff)))

Sorry, it seems I had at least one more tear to shed for what might have been.

Him talking about the 3-4 and ACTUALLY changing to it are very different things.

From the official site:

Lewis grew nostalgic for the 3-4 defense and while he's never ruled it out, he's buoyed by last year's No. 12 finish under first-year defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

Him being happy about the #12 finish by Zimmer in the current 4-3 base is exactly why the 4-3 will remain the base for the foreseeable future and finding the next Boulware isn't changing that. At least this season. I expect to see some mixes of the 3-4, but it certainly won't be the norm. Just my thoughts on that...

Him talking about the 3-4 and ACTUALLY changing to it are very different things.

From the official site:

Lewis grew nostalgic for the 3-4 defense and while he's never ruled it out, he's buoyed by last year's No. 12 finish under first-year defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

Him being happy about the #12 finish by Zimmer in the current 4-3 base is exactly why the 4-3 will remain the base for the foreseeable future and finding the next Boulware isn't changing that. At least this season. I expect to see some mixes of the 3-4, but it certainly won't be the norm. Just my thoughts on that...

Well yeah, he'd rather use a "monster" type back (what we called them in the 80's any ways) who can flex at DE/OLB and line them up in different places, rather than commit to a 3-4.

What he's basically saying is that they're paying Odom too much dough to switch now. :)

Him being happy about the #12 finish by Zimmer in the current 4-3 base is exactly why the 4-3 will remain the base for the foreseeable future and finding the next Boulware isn't changing that. At least this season.

I don't hear anything that implies a switch to a base 3-4 is being seriously considered. In fact, he reminded people about Boulware and Pollack who both played the hybrid/joker role in a base 4-3, and spoke at some length about the improvement last season.

Really, the most successful defenses seem to run a 3.5/3.5 instead of a real 4-3 or 3-4.

I'm less worried about the LBs than the fact that we don't have that prototypical plugger NT.

If they decide they want to do it this year they'll probably need to get that in FA. From a quick glance, the obvious choices seem to be Gabe Watson (RFA) and Grady Jackson. Of course, Jackson is ancient but he's certainly a plugger.

Anyone catch that line about Benson? That pisses me off. You know they tried to lowball him. This is why we're doomed again. Poor Palmer. Poor Marv for that matter. I hate Mike Brown. Every season he makes the decisions I feel it puts us at 10 guys on the field. So sick of it.

there is no reason to stunt last years growth by switching to a base 3-4. but army's right i wouldn't be surprised if their are 3-4 sets.

the first thing that needs to happen is players consistently being in the spots they are assigned. discipline has been sorely lacking on the defensive side of the ball for so long, and it seems zimmer is finally getting that point across. i think that could go a long way in improving our pass rush as well. i'm not saying that's the only thing that needs to happen but its importance is underrated

Really, the most successful defenses seem to run a 3.5/3.5 instead of a real 4-3 or 3-4.

I'm less worried about the LBs than the fact that we don't have that prototypical plugger NT.

If they decide they want to do it this year they'll probably need to get that in FA. From a quick glance, the obvious choices seem to be Gabe Watson (RFA) and Grady Jackson. Of course, Jackson is ancient but he's certainly a plugger.

jason shirley could be the fat guy in the middle for us

Anyone catch that line about Benson?

Not until you mentioned it.

That pisses me off. You know they tried to lowball him.

Actually, he said Benson's camp wanted to see what the market would pay before signing. And I don't blame them. They don't owe the Bengals any considerations at all.

This is why we're doomed again.

Doomed! DOOMED! Doomed I tell ya'.

I hate Mike Brown.

Of course you do.

Anyone catch that line about Benson? That pisses me off. You know they tried to lowball him. This is why we're doomed again. Poor Palmer. Poor Marv for that matter. I hate Mike Brown. Every season he makes the decisions I feel it puts us at 10 guys on the field. So sick of it.

If Benson does leave I think it is feasible that we take Knowshown Moreno at number 6, especially if he burns up the combine. I believe Lt was drafted at 6. AP went at 8. It wouldn't be to early for a back and I for one would rather have Moreno than Cedric!

I have a feeling Clint Sintim might be that pass rush linebacker for us. He is a 250+ lb linebacker, that had 11 sacks last year, tackles well, does a good job of shedding blocks, and he can cover. The guy would have to fall past the lions and the brownstains in the second round, but with so many hybrid DE/OLBs in this draft, I think it has a good chance of happening.

I never thought in reading the interviews with Cedric towards the end of the season, that he was totally sold on coming back next season. I kind of get the same feeling with Crocker, but still think it's more likely that he resigns than Ced. Re-signing Ced is much more critical than T.J. and it's probably likely that the Bengals have low-balled him so far. I think he'll get plenty of interest in free agency.

It might be a tad bit rich, but I think the Bengals have to at least be considering a RB with the top pick.

Well he would be another project Larry English seems around the right size for DE/OLB ala pollack,Sintim sounds but he looks like type of player that the Jets & Ravens will be looking at the end of the first...

I don't think you'll see a defensive player drafter until at least the 4th round, unless somebody they really like lands in their laps and it would almost have to be a pash rushing player at DE or OLB. I do hope they address the nickle CB position, but rather them do it in free agency.

So let's sit on the 12 ranked defense :| saying it's good enough rather then try and improve it with the offense...

Defense wins championships 12th ranked is not good enough IMO....

Lewis made the remarks Friday at the NFL scouting combine, where he also said the club is going to focus on offense in the free-agency period that begins

Come on Jason Brown

I am not remotely convinced there is going to be a large market for Benson. His last off-season will be on a lot of team's minds. I think the Bengals can still get him, and won't have to overpay to do it.

I am not remotely convinced there is going to be a large market for Benson. His last off-season will be on a lot of team's minds. I think the Bengals can still get him, and won't have to overpay to do it.

I don't think there will be a large market for any RB, but Benson still looks like as good an option as any back in FA. Furthermore, as popular as it's become to dismiss the level of interest teams will have in Benson due to his past trangressions I can't help wondering why Benson would be willing to return to THIS franchise if he receives a comparable offer.

I'll call that the best case scenario.