Bengals to be active in free agency?

BlainThePain

Ok, lets play with this and say we get rid of Chad (for a late first) and TJ, resign Benson, and pick up Brown in free agency.

1st - Jeremy Maclin WR

1st (trade) - Knowshon Moreno RB

2nd - Clint Sintim LB

3rd - Fenuki Tupou OT

3rd (comp) - Ron Brace DT

You could go DE with a guy like Kruger or Barwin in the 2nd if you chose. Simpson, Maclin, and Caldwell would be young and fast along with Henry who you just can't count on. We would address the o-line with a true RT, the front 7 on the defensive side of the ball with a monster DT and versatile LB, as well as getting another running back to help Benson or replace him in a couple years on a short contract.

Like I said, just having fun...

WHAT ARMY?! a WR AND a RB in the first???? if this ever happened even with both Chad and TJ gone id go absolutely nuts. With the amount of FA RB's and depth at RB in the draft NEVER ever would i draft a RB in the first if we had Benson.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest FA signing ever!!!!!!!!!!!!! or claiming

BENGALS POUNCE ON PLACKEMEIER

Posted by Mike Florio on February 13, 2009, 4:35 p.m.

The Cincinnati Bengals have claimed punter Ryan Plackemeier on waivers from the Redskins, the team announced on Friday.

Plackemeier had been waived by the Seahawks during the 2008 season, and he signed with Washington on October 15.

Kyle Larson is the other punter on the roster; he has held the job for the last five years. Signed through 2012, Larson is scheduled to earn a base salary of $1 million in 2009.

Couple of things...

All of that was pure fun and speculation, so just relax... Next, read the whole thing. Most people believe we are going to be ok at LT and have even made the comment about picking Smith in the first and MOVING him to RT. If that's the case, why not just draft one of the top pure RT's in the draft later ??

Maclin would be the pick, because Crabtree will be gone by #6. Either the Seahawks take him or someone moves up to get him. Maclin is big, fast, and doesn't have the dropsies. I also think Heywood-Bey goes in the first.

We are going to have to resign Benson AND get another RB in free agency or the draft, so why not take one earlier "IF" you have the extra picks ?? Moreno would be huge and like I said in the original throw together, it would be Benson and Moreno as a one two with others vying for the #3 RB spot.

I don't see how it could be considered anywhere near sad sack. You get one of the top 2 WR's, one of the top 2 RB's, a true pure RT, one of the best up and coming centers in the league, and two additional pieces to bolster the front 7 on the defensive side of the ball with one on the line and one for the LB corps. Where's the down side to that ?? I'm I missing something ?? While I will admit seeing a WR and RB in round one would be unlikely, IF all the other planets were to align and we were to pick up Brown and additional picks from trading Chad, I would have no issues.

Couple of things...

All of that was pure fun and speculation, so just relax... Next, read the whole thing. Most people believe we are going to be ok at LT and have even made the comment about picking Smith in the first and MOVING him to RT. If that's the case, why not just draft one of the top pure RT's in the draft later ??

Maclin would be the pick, because Crabtree will be gone by #6. Either the Seahawks take him or someone moves up to get him. Maclin is big, fast, and doesn't have the dropsies. I also think Heywood-Bey goes in the first.

We are going to have to resign Benson AND get another RB in free agency or the draft, so why not take one earlier "IF" you have the extra picks ?? Moreno would be huge and like I said in the original throw together, it would be Benson and Moreno as a one two with others vying for the #3 RB spot.

I don't see how it could be considered anywhere near sad sack. You get one of the top 2 WR's, one of the top 2 RB's, a true pure RT, one of the best up and coming centers in the league, and two additional pieces to bolster the front 7 on the defensive side of the ball with one on the line and one for the LB corps. Where's the down side to that ?? I'm I missing something ?? While I will admit seeing a WR and RB in round one would be unlikely, IF all the other planets were to align and we were to pick up Brown and additional picks from trading Chad, I would have no issues.

To add to that, now than Jacobs has been Franchised, the top 3 RB's on the FA board are Derrick Ward, Darren Sproles and Benson. Of those, only Ward and Benson are true bellcow RB's (some team is going to pay a lot of money to watch Darren Sproles miss games every year due to overuse). Re-signing Benson is far from a done deal. As Army said, we still need another back behind Benson and I don't like the thoughts of guys like Kevin Jones or Tatum Bell in stripes.

What if Knowshon Morneno is better than Chris Johnson in the NFL, as he was better than Chris Johnson in college? Fans would be all over the pick. I personally think he is a young Garrison Hearst, with better hands.

Part of the draft scenario included trading Chad, so why wouldn't the Bengals draft a WR? I could easily see Maclin being a Bengal, too. In fact, if he runs that 4.25 as expected next week in Indy, I predict he will be a Bengal, whether Chad is here or not. Remember, the owner LOVES his WRs. He is a classic Bengals receiver (as far as size and speed goes) and the KR ability has to be intriguing to a team that hasn't had a true return threat since the last 1st round receiver drafted by the Bengals in Peter Warrick.

I like Collins at LT and agree with the thought that the Bengals should look at guys who play on the right side. They could use a true road grader there, a guy like a Phil Loadholt, who should be there in round 2-3. We need more playmakers on offense and Special Teams and the best bet to find them is through the draft

guycheck-6'4 303

saturday-6'2 295

i'm not sure this would be an upgrade

sure saturday has a much higher football IQ, but the biggest beef against guycheck is his lack of push, i don't see how a guy that weighs almost 10 LBS less will get better push aganist those big NT's in the AFCN.

More strength?

Better technique?

Better motor?

More effort?

Pretty sure Saturday has been a Pro Bowl selection.

Pretty sure Guychick has been a Toilet Bowl selection

Beyond all that, you bring in a Saturday or a Birk to mentor the C we'll almost certainly draft no later than round 3. Guychick isn't going to be teaching anything of value right now except how to earn a lot of money for little or no effort.

guycheck-6'4 303

saturday-6'2 295

i'm not sure this would be an upgrade

sure saturday has a much higher football IQ, but the biggest beef against guycheck is his lack of push, i don't see how a guy that weighs almost 10 LBS less will get better push aganist those big NT's in the AFCN.

Anyone that has helped Peyton Manning DOMINATE the entire NFL AFC North included for the last decade is welcome here any day of the week in my eyes. I would much rather have Brown, but he isn't a bad consolation prize, plus centers play until they are really old anyways.

Saturday's a nice consolation prize, but the REAL target should be Jason Brown. He'll help this team establish an identity in the running game, as Marvin says that he wants to re-commit to running the football. Saturday would be a Richmond Webb-type signing; Still serviceable, but 3-4 years late getting to Cincinnati.

Maybe a step closer to the Jason Brown dream ??

Ozzie Newsome states, "If we don't have a deal, we will franchsie him" in regards to Suggs.

I think they really want to bring Brown back, but they can't keep everyone and would have to focus on getting a deal done with Lewis. I think it would be a mistake for them to let Brown leave, but he will get a deal somewhere. Lets hope the Bengals are players in that one...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/17/...ll-tag-terrell/

Maybe a step closer to the Jason Brown dream ??

Ozzie Newsome states, "If we don't have a deal, we will franchsie him" in regards to Suggs.

I think they really want to bring Brown back, but they can't keep everyone and would have to focus on getting a deal done with Lewis. I think it would be a mistake for them to let Brown leave, but he will get a deal somewhere. Lets hope the Bengals are players in that one...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/17/...ll-tag-terrell/

After signing Suggs and Ray (who's asking for 10-12 million, according to John Clayton) there is no way they'll be able to afford Brown, who said he wants to be the highest paid C in the game. They still have to sign Leonard, Landry and Stover, too, and decide on Bart Scott.

If they're willing to pay, I think that Brown would be interested in playing for the Bengals.

There are and will be more people interested in Brown. The question is, will we ?? I think we will be, but not want to pay him what he wants. I think the money would be WELL worth it to gain his services for many reasons, but whatever. I can't see him back in Baltimore with all that money to spend on their on free agents and him wanting a good sized contract. I really don't understand them not making a bigger effort to keep him because they should want him for all the reasons we do, playing in the AFCN that is...

There are and will be more people interested in Brown. The question is, will we ?? I think we will be, but not want to pay him what he wants. I think the money would be WELL worth it to gain his services for many reasons, but whatever. I can't see him back in Baltimore with all that money to spend on their on free agents and him wanting a good sized contract. I really don't understand them not making a bigger effort to keep him because they should want him for all the reasons we do, playing in the AFCN that is...

What's the scouting report say on Brown? I know he's big for a center, but how has he played? Not even sure how many career starts he has. Pretty sure he played guard until this past season?

Are you guys maybe higher on him than you should be because you hate Guycheck so much?

What's the scouting report say on Brown? I know he's big for a center, but how has he played? Not even sure how many career starts he has. Pretty sure he played guard until this past season?

Are you guys maybe higher on him than you should be because you hate Guycheck so much?

To clarify, I would be high on Billy playing center for the Bengals because of how much I hate Ghiaciuc, but that's another story.

Jason Brown is 6'3, 325 and perfectly suited for the AFCN and the big NT's we face 6 times minimum each season. He's only 25 years old, so he would be the anchor of the o-line for MANY years. Yes, he was a guard, but has ALWAYS been the versatile player along the o-line that teams covet. He's very durable and has started all 16 games for the past two seasons for the Ravens. You could go into it more if you choose, but there is little doubt that he is all he's being talked up about. We go on and on about him for the same reason there will be more than a couple teams interested in gaining his services.

Yeah, I hate Ghiaciuc, but that has nothing to do with building up Brown. He does that on his own. He's impressive...

To clarify, I would be high on Billy playing center for the Bengals because of how much I hate Ghiaciuc, but that's another story.

Jason Brown is 6'3, 325 and perfectly suited for the AFCN and the big NT's we face 6 times minimum each season. He's only 25 years old, so he would be the anchor of the o-line for MANY years. Yes, he was a guard, but has ALWAYS been the versatile player along the o-line that teams covet. He's very durable and has started all 16 games for the past two seasons for the Ravens. You could go into it more if you choose, but there is little doubt that he is all he's being talked up about. We go on and on about him for the same reason there will be more than a couple teams interested in gaining his services.

Yeah, I hate Ghiaciuc, but that has nothing to do with building up Brown. He does that on his own. He's impressive...

Agree.

The reason I've been high on this guy is because he's played extremely well in our division and is a player with considerable upside. He was a 1st team All-American at North Carolina his Senior Season and voted the Sports Illustrated All-Pro Center last season.

A few thoughts:

1. I was interested to see if the widespread economic slowdown would affect the NFL. It certainly impacted baseball in some fashion this last free agency go round (for everyone other than the Yankees, that is). Either baseball went to collusion part II or the teams pulled in their horns because they are uncertain and frightened of the economy as most of us are. The NBA trade deadline was also very depressed, with deals to provide salary relief ruling the day, mostly. But so far, the NFL in the early signings has been damn robust. The CB signing in Oakland $15 million per on average was crazy, for intstance. The other early signings have been similarly very high. So perhaps the NFL is not feeling the same effects and worries that the other leagues are.

2. Or, perhaps not. The economic slowdown could give the Bengals either (a) a very good reason to not go hard in free agency because they are being fiscally prudent or (b ) a very good excuse to not go hard in free agency because they are being fiscally prudent. If this is another disappointing free agency go round for the team, despite all the cap room, those two possibilities are bound to lead to several tedious and impossible to resolve threads on this board.

3. In a perfect world, they get a vet Center. If not Brown (and likely it won't be Brown), then Saturday or Birk would suit me just fine. I think a lot of what ailed the team last year on the line could be immediately helped with the right calls being made from the qb of the line position. Then, ideally, they draft a C in round 2 or 3 to develop and learn behind whomever they get in free agency .If I had one realistic wish for this free agency period, it would be for that sequence. I think that would be the best way to address what ails them and open up the draft a bit.

4. Haynesworth ain't happening. And I am glad it isn't. He's a beast when he wants to play, but the sense in Tennessee is that once he gets the contract, the "want to play" will be an issue. It is one of the major reasons the Titans have not closed that deal of yet. They are still debating that issue internally.

5. If there was a true OLB who could go and kill the quarterback available on this market, that would be my next target. There usually is not any such beast in free agency. Is that the case this year as well?

6. I hope they are able to re-sign benson. I don't want them feeling they have to address RB early in the draft again.

For what it's worth.