Bengals to be active in free agency?

BlainThePain

Ok, I put some thought to it and IF we were to trade Chad to the Eagles for their 26th pick in the first, there are a ton of things we could do.

I would immediately try to sign TJ for the next three years and then go with what you have if they believe Simpson is what they think he will be.

I would make all efforts to trade down a handful of slots and pick up another 3rd. With the thinking of getting a 3rd comp, that would be three 3rd's.

So we would be looking at two 1st's, one 2nd, and three 3rd's to play with. With that, you could go so many different ways it isn't even funny. With the first 1st, you could go many ways, but DE becomes a greater possibility with Everette sitting around there. MLB and OT are still big possibilities. Go ahead and grab Mack with the second 1st and take care of the center position for many years. Now you are free to take just about anything in the second, maybe a running back like McCoy. Whatever you don't address in the first and second could be MORE than solidified with our three 3rd rounders.

All of thought equals squat though as it probably won't happen, but boy it sure would be nice...

If we were to lose Chad we could sign Devery Henderson to replace him because he would be the legit deep threat we need. This would allow us to lose Chad and resign TJ.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with kazkal if brown is the only outside free agent we brought in it would be a banner off season.

we would still need to resign at least benson and crocker and do something at kicker. i wouldn't mind bringing shane back either.

not having to pick a center in the second or third would go a long way to keeping the defensive improvement on track by adding another play maker and would allow them to add a running back higher in the draft, which is necessary with or without benson

as far as the trade ocho talk, it'd be great to get an extra first for him, but, as many of you have said, it'd be a miracle if that gets done. the great thing is we have a tj clone (caldwell) and an ocho clone (simpson), caldwell is further along in his development so that takes the sting away from letting tj walk this year.

Indeed Benson Running behind a line that looked like Collins-Best G in Rnd2-Brown-Bobbie Williams -Andrew Whitworth I don't thin would have any problem getting 1300+ yards...Crocker is just great depth to go along with Lynch & Hebert...Then all the LB's but Jeanty & johnson our RFA so i'm not too worried about losing them...

Indeed Benson Running behind a line that looked like Collins-Best G in Rnd2-Brown-Bobbie Williams -Andrew Whitworth I don't thin would have any problem getting 1300+ yards...Crocker is just great depth to go along with Lynch & Hebert...Then all the LB's but Jeanty & johnson our RFA so i'm not too worried about losing them...

Best guard you say? I think the name that you are thinking of is Duke Robinson!!!

with the talk of a guard in the 2nd, where's the defensive front seven help? or if we don't sign a FA center what about that? or RB?

To me, if that RB from Pitt somehow falls to us I guarantee he will be a Bengal next year. Their is a realistic possibility that he falls to us.

The teams that need a running back in round 1 are as follows:

Denver- Possibly Moreno (To high for Beenie)

San Diego- May not want to invest first round money especially after Sproles and LT are done with them (Would be very smart to take Moreno here)

Jets- Ryan won't take a RB this high (Thomas Jones doesn't have THAT much tear on his body, they can get another year out of him)

Tampa Bay- The most probable to take a RB, but Caddy came back and played decent down the stretch (May take a QB or DE)

Philly- Would probably take a RB unless the TE from Oklahoma State is available (Could take Percy Harvin since they like injury prone play makers)

New England- Their 1st rounder they have now is a bust and they could take Moreno or Wells if they are still here (Otherwise they will go CB, they did sign Delthea)

Miami- Ricky Williams replacement? (I don't think so, if they need a change of pace they will get it later)

New York- Only if they lose their RB's to FA

Cardinals- A team that throws, throws, and throws some more doesn't need a first round RB

Round 2-

Chiefs- A real possibility, but they spent a high pick in 2008 on a RB from Texas

Cleveland- Jamal Lewis is getting old (I think one of the RB's will go right here, especially after the success Mangenious had running the ball with the Jets last season)

I predict that one will go to the Eagles and Beanie will go to the Browns in round 2. This leaves us with the Pitt running back, however if he is gone then I wouldn't mind getting Shonn Greene

If we don't get a RB and we don't sign a Center in FA then we will pick a center in round 2. If we do get a center then I think we will take BPA (Someone that should go first, but falls to second for whatever reason)

The third and final scenario is us taking a defensive player in round 1 and then taking a damn good OT in round 2 with this deep draft (My personal favorite)

A side note, most mocks have Javon Ringer going in the second or third round. I could see him sitting their for us at the end of the third or early fourth. I saw this guy play a lot and he is everything Chris Perry was supposed to be (Catches out of the backfield, can run anywhere on the field).

after the combine it wouldn't surprise me at all if ringer ends up the third best running back in this class. he has good size and speed and great hands. being a big ten fan i saw too much of him torching the boilers.

of the scenario's you listed i like defense in the first, if, and only if, curry is available (depending on the combine performances) and a center in the second.

but you still count me in the "give jason brown whatever he wants" camp.

there are so many variables pre-combine that it's really hard to get a feel. fortunately the fog will soon clear.

"We're going to have to be active because we have some guys who are currently free agents and we don't know that we can sign those guys back," Coach Marvin Lewis told reporters.

"We're going to try to be proactive and fill some of the holes we need to fill in our football team."

Hey Marvin,

I see better than I hear.

:| after reading todays article sounds like Cedric is heading some where else.... :|

I could easily see the Bengals franchising Ced. The Franchise tag for him is under 7 million and the Bengals have absolutely nobody else behind him, which is much different than the T.J. situation. I guess they'll get a feel about how contract talks are developing before they make a decision on him.

In related news, the fact that they are not even talking to T.J. right now means they've either already made the deciision to franchise him or have decided to let him go to FA, at which point they'll have zero chance to resign him.

:| after reading todays article sounds like Cedric is heading some where else.... :|

i didn't get that feeling at all. he's keeping his leverage, which is smart. he wouldn't want to pigeon hole himself by saying anything else.

we are in big trouble if we can't resign ced. it moves rb up to the second, or even, god forbid, the first round. that would be a tragedy.

Ok, I put some thought to it and IF we were to trade Chad to the Eagles for their 26th pick in the first, there are a ton of things we could do.

I would immediately try to sign TJ for the next three years and then go with what you have if they believe Simpson is what they think he will be.

I would make all efforts to trade down a handful of slots and pick up another 3rd. With the thinking of getting a 3rd comp, that would be three 3rd's.

So we would be looking at two 1st's, one 2nd, and three 3rd's to play with. With that, you could go so many different ways it isn't even funny. With the first 1st, you could go many ways, but DE becomes a greater possibility with Everette sitting around there. MLB and OT are still big possibilities. Go ahead and grab Mack with the second 1st and take care of the center position for many years. Now you are free to take just about anything in the second, maybe a running back like McCoy. Whatever you don't address in the first and second could be MORE than solidified with our three 3rd rounders.

All of thought equals squat though as it probably won't happen, but boy it sure would be nice...

Hmm something like this....

Resign:

Benson

Crocker

Jeanty

Brandon J.

Sign:

C- Jason Brown

OT- Vernon Carey

Drafts:

1st(traded up): ILB-Rey Maualuga

1stB: C- Alex Mack

2nd: DE- Paul Kruger

3rdA: RB- JaVon Ringer

3rdB: WR- Brian Robiskie

3rdC: WR- Jarrett Dillard

4th: DT- Fili Moala

5th: FB- Brannan Southerland

6th: BPA

7th: Graham Gano

Wouldn't tag Cedric for 7million :| because you may as well give him a decent contract then.

You have Darren Sproles, Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward and then probably Ced as the top FA RBs. You have to figure that the Giants keep Jacobs and maybe Ward, too. That could make Ced the 2nd highest rated UFA RB. This year's draft doesn't look to be as deep, which is also a factor. With the number of teams using 2 and 3 RB's these days, I think everyone is at least looking for another RB. I'm beginning to think it's going to take at least 3-4 million a year to keep Ced in Cincy. As far as Bengals FAs, he has to be the top consideration.

even if we sign ced, i think we'll draft a Rb in the 3rd or so. i'm not at all impressed with the FA Rb's out there. jacobs seems to be hurt a fair amount and is going to want a lot of money, ward and sproles have never been counted on to be #1's, ced has some character red flags, though he seems to have gotten his mind right. if i remember right i think buckhalter may be a free agent and he may be worth a look. happyjaq's right, ced has got to be the number one priority of our own FA's. and number two in all of free agency after signing jason brown. after all, without fixing the o-line, it won't matter who we have back there.

i'd give ced 3-4 million. brown 6-7 million and that leaves 10-11 million to throw at shayne, crocker and the rookies.

Couple of things... Benson is a big priority for us and I would love to see him back next season. I also didn't get the impression that he wanted or was going to leave based on the article. Just the opposite actually. He mentioned staying in the same system and I think that bodes well for him here in Cincinnati. Tag him though ?? HELL NO !!! Just go after someone else in free agency if that's the case.

Headless, if we were to get Jason Brown in free agency, I would go ahead and skip on Mack at the center position. Brown would anchor that position for many years minus injury and would free up the Bengals draft further.

If they don't re-sign Benson, you almost have to draft 2 RB's. I don't count trust Watson, Dorsey or Perry over a full season, and could see all 3 getting cut. J.J. Johnson looks interesting but we still have to wait and see on him. A lof of the free agent backs after Benson like Kevin Jones, LaMont Jordan, Correll Buckhalter, etc. have had injury and durability concerns throughout their careers.

Maybe a trade for a guy like Tashard Choice, Ladell Betts, Ahmad Bradshaw, Pierre Thomas or Fred Jackson for a 3rd or 4th? I'd like to see an aggressive move like that from the Bengals this offseason.

Couple of things... Benson is a big priority for us and I would love to see him back next season. I also didn't get the impression that he wanted or was going to leave based on the article. Just the opposite actually. He mentioned staying in the same system and I think that bodes well for him here in Cincinnati. Tag him though ?? HELL NO !!! Just go after someone else in free agency if that's the case.

Headless, if we were to get Jason Brown in free agency, I would go ahead and skip on Mack at the center position. Brown would anchor that position for many years minus injury and would free up the Bengals draft further.

You know AB, I thought the same thing. I mainly tossed him in there as an option because... Well this is the Bengals. Our biggest problem IMO is the training staff. They can't train ourguys to stay healthy very good sooo there is this chance Brown gets IR'd. Good point though, it would in the long run be a wasted pick anyways. That said, hypothetical whom do we choose with the 2nd 1st rounder in that situation?

You know AB, I thought the same thing. I mainly tossed him in there as an option because... Well this is the Bengals. Our biggest problem IMO is the training staff. They can't train ourguys to stay healthy very good sooo there is this chance Brown gets IR'd. Good point though, it would in the long run be a wasted pick anyways. That said, hypothetical whom do we choose with the 2nd 1st rounder in that situation?

What about a huy like Eben Britton, who is shooting up the draft boards. I think he might be the best of all of the lineman as far as a combination of run and pass blocking ability. Andre and Jason Smith seem a bit too one-dimensional. That would be a dream draft scenario and the Bengals need to hit a homerun like that in this draft.

Well I know for a fact you all aren't going to like this but here we go....

If we don't resign Cedrick (Which, we resserected his career and he actually has people that like him here so it seems doubtful they we won't) then we should draft a RB in round 1.

That running backs name is Knowshown Moreno. We could still get our OT in round 2 and shoot for Eric Wood in round 3. Our defense would defiantly take a hit, but I don't think this will even happen because I don't see Benson going anywhere.