Bengals to be active in free agency?

BlainThePain

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2009/0...ts/nh454670.txt

Bengals gear up

Free agency begins Feb. 27. The Bengals, normally quiet in free agency, plan to be aggressive because 10 of their own players will be unrestricted free agents, including wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, running back Cedric Benson and kicker Shayne Graham.

"We're going to have to be active because we have some guys who are currently free agents and we don't know that we can sign those guys back," Coach Marvin Lewis told reporters.

"We're going to try to be proactive and fill some of the holes we need to fill in our football team."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect the definition of "active" to mean, sign as many of our free agents as possible and bring in 2nd tier guys to fill the holes. Well, at least that's what we've grown use to in these parts. I mean does anyone "EXPECT" the Bengals to pursue ANY top tier free agents ?? I didn't say, "could they" but rather, "do you expect it" ?? I think not, but sitting at #5 in money to spend in free agency give or take a few spots, I guess there could always be a suprise. That would be huge in my opinion though...

Expect it no? could they yes.

Sign Gross & Birk!

i wish i could say that i expect it.

as i wrote in another thread, rather than signing two FA on the offensive line especially ones that are 28 (gross) & 32 (birk), i believe a better solution may be to sign ratbird's C Brown for a big contract say, 5 years 30-32 million, take bpa in the first (a position of need OT, LB, DE), more than likely an OT and then not have to take a center in round 2 allowing us to take bpa again (hopefully on the defensive side of the ball). that way we would have three young guys instead of one. plus the overall money spent would be less, we'll have to pay top 6 money to the draft pick regardless of who it is (obviously OT more than LB) but not as much as gross will want, plus i think he has an injury history. and birk will command more than a second round pick.

that was a whole lot of rambling but i hope it made sense. thoughts?

edit: while i was typing you guys hit on exactly what i was thinking

I would LOVE to see the Bengals land Brown, but I don't think they'll pay him the 7 million a season that he wants. He's as good as an extra first rounder and signing him is a blow to the Ravens, too.

Giving 9.88 million to T.J. would be a major setback for the Bengals. Resigning Benson, Crocker, Brandon Johnson and Jeanty should be the priorities. I would also like to see Blackstock back and unleashed as a rush end/LB on 3rd downs (he wasn't used corrently last season, IMO). After that, the Bengals must sign a veteran C and Nickel/Dime CB. I can see the Bengals going after a younger veteran C like Geoff Hangartner of the Panthers (who played well last season) and a CB who can return kicks like Chris Carr, Chris Johnson or Justin Miller.

Others UFAs I would like to see the Bengals target (and maybe within their price range).

Jake Grove, C, Raiders

Antonio Smith, DE, Cardinals

Michael Boley, OLB, Falcons

Leonard Weaver, FB, Seahawks

Naufahu Tahi, FB, Vikings

Khalif Barnes, OT, Jaguars

Jason Brown would have to be the #1 guy they should be looking at and we've covered that already so I don't want to continue beating away at that. He would be the one free agent I would be THE MOST happy seeing us sign. There are other guys out there that I could see impacting this team, but the center position would be huge with Brown in the fold. If they want to spend money anywhere, that would be the place to deposit a large amount !!!

Jason Brown would have to be the #1 guy they should be looking at and we've covered that already so I don't want to continue beating away at that. He would be the one free agent I would be THE MOST happy seeing us sign. There are other guys out there that I could see impacting this team, but the center position would be huge with Brown in the fold. If they want to spend money anywhere, that would be the place to deposit a large amount !!!

Brown is 5 years younger than T.J.

Brown is young and proven in the most physical division in football, the AFC North.

Brown would allow you to move Whitworth without worrying about LG. Collins and Whit at OT in '09? If so, it's a 2-for-1 deal. If not, you know you're number #1 priroty in '09 is a LT (Levi has a lesser cap hit then, too). Whit played 10 games at LT in '06 as a rookie; we know he can play there, if needed. We also know that Collins can, too. If all else fails, we have Levi.

Brown frees up the 2nd round pick that we all wanted to go to Mack, Unger or Wood. None of these guys would help Carson, who is coming off a season-ending injury. Rookie C, when you need to ger your timing back? Please. Now, we can get a RB/MLB and pash rusher on day 1 of the draft, along with a proven, franchise Center.

Brown, even at the 7 million he wants, you are still able to retain a Chris Crocker, who should come in at around 2 million or so, which is the same you'd pay for Housh alone. Marvin went so far to say that Crocker played as well at safety as any player he's had since he's been here. Add in Nduke, White, Lynch and Hebert and we are set at Safety, at least. Saves a draft pick, too.

Brown would help Ced Benson get to the the 1,200 yard, 10 TD season that Benson could have with a more solid interior line (which is part of the reason Rudi failed once Braham went down and retired, as both do their best work inside the tackles).

Simpson, Caldwell, Henry, Chatman (all signed for '09.), Holt, Urrutia and Purity will be competing for the #2 position in the offense. Basically 7 guys with the Bengals all year for 4 positions, outside of Chad. Figure Simpson and Caldwell in and that's 5 for 2 positions, not including any FA's from other teams or draft picks.

With Ghiaciuc still unsigned, the Bengals will be in line for a FA Center. The question is, will it be an older player like Saturday or Birk or a young, emerging player like Brown. For the money, I'd rather pay Brown and let Cook back him up instead of signing a Matt Birk at the end of his career and still need to draft a Max Unger in the 2nd round.

All that said, forget Suggs, Ray, Peppers, Gross and the rest. Brown should be the #1 consideration for the Bengald this offseason....even if it means 7 million a year and losing T.J.

These are all great ideas, but unfortunately, past Bengals offseasons has my hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. I would love nothing more than to see the Bengals go out and spend some money and get one or two good FA's instead of letting the dust settle and pick over whoever is left, as is the norm.

Here's hoping I'm wrong......

F*ck Hobson, he pisses me off with that crap...

Anyway, I think if all they do is go after Brown and do nothing else outside of their own in free agency it will be considered an OUTSTANDING offseason for the Bengals.

Shore up the most glaring need on the o-line and maybe the whole team ?? CHECK

Free up the draft to be able to address defensive needs ?? CHECK

Free up money as opposed to dropping 10 million on a tag ?? CHECK

Do damage to a Division rival ?? CHECK

Get information on their offense in the line of Big Willie ?? CHECK

I can't believe Hobson makes that comment with all the benefit to pursuing Brown.

Oh yeah, with the money we are under the cap, I don't want to hear sh*t about that being the reason...

Brown is 5 years younger than T.J.

Brown is young and proven in the most physical division in football, the AFC North.

Brown would allow you to move Whitworth without worrying about LG. Collins and Whit at OT in '09? If so, it's a 2-for-1 deal. If not, you know you're number #1 priroty in '09 is a LT (Levi has a lesser cap hit then, too). Whit played 10 games at LT in '06 as a rookie; we know he can play there, if needed. We also know that Collins can, too. If all else fails, we have Levi.

Brown frees up the 2nd round pick that we all wanted to go to Mack, Unger or Wood. None of these guys would help Carson, who is coming off a season-ending injury. Rookie C, when you need to ger your timing back? Please. Now, we can get a RB/MLB and pash rusher on day 1 of the draft, along with a proven, franchise Center.

Brown, even at the 7 million he wants, you are still able to retain a Chris Crocker, who should come in at around 2 million or so, which is the same you'd pay for Housh alone. Marvin went so far to say that Crocker played as well at safety as any player he's had since he's been here. Add in Nduke, White, Lynch and Hebert and we are set at Safety, at least. Saves a draft pick, too.

Brown would help Ced Benson get to the the 1,200 yard, 10 TD season that Benson could have with a more solid interior line (which is part of the reason Rudi failed once Braham went down and retired, as both do their best work inside the tackles).

Simpson, Caldwell, Henry, Chatman (all signed for '09.), Holt, Urrutia and Purity will be competing for the #2 position in the offense. Basically 7 guys with the Bengals all year for 4 positions, outside of Chad. Figure Simpson and Caldwell in and that's 5 for 2 positions, not including any FA's from other teams or draft picks.

With Ghiaciuc still unsigned, the Bengals will be in line for a FA Center. The question is, will it be an older player like Saturday or Birk or a young, emerging player like Brown. For the money, I'd rather pay Brown and let Cook back him up instead of signing a Matt Birk at the end of his career and still need to draft a Max Unger in the 2nd round.

All that said, forget Suggs, Ray, Peppers, Gross and the rest. Brown should be the #1 consideration for the Bengald this offseason....even if it means 7 million a year and losing T.J.

I think with us moving to a more run oriented offense this rules out Saturday, especially after the horrible season Indy had their. Also, I have heard rumors of Birk on his way to St Louis, but if we had to choose between the two I would defiantly say Birk. He is a year younger and he is great in the community and he helped open holes for AP the last two years.

Thinking the same about saying no to Saturday. Birk wouldn't be bad, but in talking to most Vikings fans and reading reports, Birk is viewed as losing a step and definitely on the decline. If they think they are going to go after Mack, then fine, but if they don't think he's going to be there in the 2nd or make moves to get him earlier and end up getting another center later, then they should be looking at bringing in veteran help in the mean time...

Thinking the same about saying no to Saturday. Birk wouldn't be bad, but in talking to most Vikings fans and reading reports, Birk is viewed as losing a step and definitely on the decline. If they think they are going to go after Mack, then fine, but if they don't think he's going to be there in the 2nd or make moves to get him earlier and end up getting another center later, then they should be looking at bringing in veteran help in the mean time...

I don't know about losing a step, just look at Braham's old ass when he retired and Mawae and that guy from the Broncos. Those guys are all 5 plus years older than Birk and they were and are effective centers for dominate run teams (Rudi got 1400). Honestly, I am so damn excited about FA because I think this is the year we actually do something and make a splash, I just feel it. With their priorities switching to running the ball as well as the concerns they have on special teams I want the following two moves to happen besides resigning Benson:

We sign Brown or Burk

We sign Sproles away from San Diego, he would THINK he would be getting a feature role, but in all actuality he would be splitting carries with Cedrick.

signing Brown would probably take us out of the running for any other teams FA's. i'm not sure what birk will want but it's got to be substantially less than brown. birk would only be a stop-gap and necessitate drafting a center this year or next. i'm not sure who will be available next year but this class of college and FA centers looks to be the best that have come along in years, so it would seem this is the year to make a move.

i'm not sure i want to tie up 7 or 8 million dollars at the running back position (~2 for ced and ~5 for sproles). especially considering we can get younger at the position through the draft.

As to Birk, if he's good, I have no issues, but still think you draft center, as next years center class is absolute garbage. I was going by what I've read about him in columns and listening to the Vikings fans that watch him each week. I'm excited about free agency, but not to excited.

http://www.timesherald.com/articles/2009/0...70072837447.txt

I would really like to see this one happen (Even though I believe Chad will rebound this year when Carson gets back, he is healthy, and he doesn't miss a lot of practice).

It would give us another pick and we could use our second to get a WR, possibly the one from UNC. With the two first rounders we could get an OT and a Linebacker. Obviously we would have to sign a center and draft a RB in round 3 (JAVON RINGER PLEASE), but I think this is a great idea. I actually think this is the most likely of the three happening because they won't give up a first for Tony G and I don't think Boldin is going anywhere, he sounds like a nice, lamer version of Chad 2008.

Chad for a first is something most have all but put in the category of Bigfoot... It's nice to see something written that goes with what some of us have been saying, in that you just won't know until later and Chad gives you something IMMEDIATELY that a rookie just won't. Talk about his production all you want, but you can only go to last season to make that arguement.

IF the Eagles were willing to give us a first for Chad, I would be overjoyed, but once again, do you think Mike Brown would take it. If so, any faith that the team would know how to manuver through free agency and the draft after his departure ??

I'm going to put some thought to it and get back with you guys on this one...

Ok, I put some thought to it and IF we were to trade Chad to the Eagles for their 26th pick in the first, there are a ton of things we could do.

I would immediately try to sign TJ for the next three years and then go with what you have if they believe Simpson is what they think he will be.

I would make all efforts to trade down a handful of slots and pick up another 3rd. With the thinking of getting a 3rd comp, that would be three 3rd's.

So we would be looking at two 1st's, one 2nd, and three 3rd's to play with. With that, you could go so many different ways it isn't even funny. With the first 1st, you could go many ways, but DE becomes a greater possibility with Everette sitting around there. MLB and OT are still big possibilities. Go ahead and grab Mack with the second 1st and take care of the center position for many years. Now you are free to take just about anything in the second, maybe a running back like McCoy. Whatever you don't address in the first and second could be MORE than solidified with our three 3rd rounders.

All of thought equals squat though as it probably won't happen, but boy it sure would be nice...