Bengals’ draft should focus on linemen

Ox

Bengals’ draft should focus on linemen

Sabel's Haus

Garrett Sabelhaus | The News Record

Updated: Sunday, February 1, 2009

“With the third pick in the 1999 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select Akili Smith from Oregon.”

Those words are scarred into the memory of all Bengals fans and are just one of the many draft blunders from the Cincinnati front office, aka Mike Brown.

Smith was thought to be the future quarterback of the Bengals but instead is probably playing in some league overseas as a third stringer.

Maybe it wasn’t all Smith’s fault though. He did have to come to Cincinnati.

That year the Bengals passed on All-Pro players like Edgerrin James, Torry Holt and Champ Bailey, as well as Mike Ditka’s offer to trade all of the Saints’ draft picks for Cincinnati’s first round pick.

The question arises every year around this time. Who should the Bengals should draft and what position needs to be filled the most? Who will be Mike Brown’s cure all for the 2009 season?

Truth is, there is no cure all.

Cincinnati needs to start building its lines first and worry about skill positions in later rounds.

This year the overall consensus seems to be there is a need for an offensive lineman, someone who can help protect Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer and anchor an offensive line that gave up 51 sacks last season, the third most in the NFL.

With the sixth overall pick in the 2009 draft, the Bengals should be hoping that the 6-foot-4-inch, 340-pound University of Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith falls into their lap. Smith can take over for Levi Jones, who barely made it through the 2008 season, and can protect Palmer’s blind side.

If Smith is taken before the Bengals pick, then there are a few other offensive linemen who would suffice. The University of Virginia’s Eugene Monroe or the University of Mississippi’s Michael Oher are the other top offensive line candidates.

I can’t justify the Bengals going after a player other than an offensive lineman even though linebackers like Aaron Curry and Rey Maualuga should still be available.

Besides, Keith Rivers’ face should be put back together by next season and he could make a big impact on the defense with some line help. Plus, I just saw Odell Thurman’s resume on careerbuilder.com.

In the second round, the Bengals need to think defense, and they don’t have to look any further than their own backyard.

University of Cincinnati defensive back Mike Mickens or defensive end Connor Barwin would be a perfect fit for the Bengals, who need help at both positions.

The Bengals staff already had a good look at Barwin during the Senior Bowl, and the former tight end turned defensive end should raise his stock at the NFL combine.

Most mock drafts project Mickens as a late first round or early second round pick, so he may be gone by the time the Bengals make their second pick at 38th overall. Besides, the Bengals need defensive line help more.

Other than Barwin, defensive end Sen’Derrick Marks from Auburn University should be available for the Bengals second pick.

The junior recorded 32 tackles and two sacks last season and won the Eddie Welch Award from his coaches for attitude and effort prior to the 2008 season, something the Bengals could use a lot of.

The third round is where I throw in a little bit of a sleeper pick. I think the Bengals should take a running back to compliment Cedric Benson in the backfield, but only if the right choice is available.

If Donald Brown is still on the board by the third round then take him. The former University of Connecticut running back gashed the Bearcats last season for 150 yards on 29 carries and two touchdowns as a junior.

In case they can’t get Brown, then look for the Bengals to look for a running back in a later round. They should also look to snag a linebacker, a wide receiver and a defensive back on day two.

If the draft does turn out to be a bust, then draft watchers should look forward to one certainty: This should be the year that draft guru’s Mel Kiper and Todd McShay start a brawl on the set of ESPN.

http://www.newsrecord.org/sections/sports/...nemen-1.1320488

Hasn't monroe had knee injurys though? To go from one LT with knee problems to another....

Truthfully i'd be fine with Collins & Whitworth manning the tackle positions they may not be lights out but I think they would be good enough to let us focus on other positions to improve this tea...Sign Birk and find a LG guard in FA or Draft...

Then start playing Defense and pounding the ball..

We all know that just because the Bengals "should" do something doesnt mean they will. I'm also not sure the Bengals "should" take a Tackle at #6. I've been pimpin' Rey Maualuga for a long time, and dont plan on changing my mind. He is a beast, and we currently dont have any of those on the defensive side of the ball. I also dont think our O-line(especially the tackles) are as bad as everyone seems to think AND I dont think they would have given up 50+ sacks with Carson starting all year.

We all know that just because the Bengals "should" do something doesnt mean they will. I'm also not sure the Bengals "should" take a Tackle at #6. I've been pimpin' Rey Maualuga for a long time, and dont plan on changing my mind. He is a beast, and we currently dont have any of those on the defensive side of the ball. I also dont think our O-line(especially the tackles) are as bad as everyone seems to think AND I dont think they would have given up 50+ sacks with Carson starting all year.

I'll betcha Maualuga will be enjoying the show has at least 12 other guys go on stage before his turn. Him at #6 is a waste.

Kazkal,

The problem with not addressing LT when some studs are looking for a date, is what happens if Whitworth goes down early? Or Collins? Who can step in? There is no depth on that Oline now, and look what happened last season with injuries. I can't think of a past Bengal team with a worse offense line than last year's Bengals.

If you draft a LT, you'll always have Whitworth as a backup. Collins we know can play both tackle positions. You can't rely on Levi until he shows on the field that his injuries are behind him. That said, maybe the LT draft is so deep the Bengals know they can find a good starter in the second round drafting early as they do. Then they might want that Boston College DT at #6. But how often do they draft DT in the first round?

The problem with not addressing LT when some studs are looking for a date, is what happens if Whitworth goes down early? Or Collins? Who can step in

I didn't say ignore the Oline completely in the draft even if we signed Birk & signed a solid FA guard...I would still wanna see a Olinemen taken between rnds 2-4 for depth..William Beatty,Duke Robinson or Alex Mack on the board in round 2? Pull the trigger! Eric Wood or Fenuki Tupou in round 3 scoop one up ...

It's been said many times and bears repeating once again. Sitting at #6, we are going to pick up an impact player that is going to improve our team on one side of the ball or the other. There are a few different ways they could go in the 1st and all of them would be justifiable and should make most fans happy.

Give me an OT ?? Great

Give me a LB ?? Great

Give me a DE ?? Great

There are more than a handful of guys in consideration between those three positions that will be great for us heading into the coming season.

In a extremely deep OL draft, the Bengals can get starters on the OL in rounds 2-4, as they did last year in Collins. The Bengals will have at least 8 picks in the draft this year. Draft BPA in round one and make sure you address OT/OG, C, WR, RB, CB and maybe a pash rusher somewhere in the offseason and it's a good one to build on.

I'm still hoping for a trade down to the mid-first round and the Bengals getting an extra 2nd or 3rd in the process. If that happens, they could end up with 5 of the first 110 or so picks in the entire draft (hopeful on a 3rd round comp. pick).

Jaq, I'm hoping we tag and trade TJ and also trade Chad. Invest in the O-line and a running game and Carson will make the receivers look good.

How frequently are tag and trades done in the NFL? I can't think of any recent ones, but I've not really checked either. Given the huge bucks involved I'll bet its rare. Take TJ, if he's tagged then he gets almost 10 million in 2009 either by the Bengals or whoever trades for him. Then his new team signs him long term for bigger bucks. TJ is age 31 now and 32 in September. Big money for guys that age aren't that common either. Just don't see that happening, remotely.

I hope TJ can stay a Bengal because I want to see them win, but I can't see him wanting to stay. I think he's gone.

As for Chad, his trade value has dropped alot from this time last year. MB would look the fool to trade him now and get a 2ed or 3rd or 4th round pick, then with Chad properly motivated with a new long term deal has a Pro Bowl season or two. The Bengals would be worse than the Bungals. Take years of intelligent ownership to repair the damage. MB hasn't shown but 1 or 2 years of intelligent ownership since he took over, signing ML and drafting Carson. Chad stays.

It's been said many times and bears repeating once again. Sitting at #6, we are going to pick up an impact player that is going to improve our team on one side of the ball or the other. There are a few different ways they could go in the 1st and all of them would be justifiable and should make most fans happy.

Give me an OT ?? Great

Give me a LB ?? Great

Give me a DE ?? Great

There are more than a handful of guys in consideration between those three positions that will be great for us heading into the coming season.

Agreed. I'd be happy with with any of the top offensive tackles, but if its a defensive pick I'd prefer Maualuga or Currey. Any of those options should give us an impact player.

i'm not sold on rey's effort, it seems like he disappears for long stretches. he certainly is nasty, big and athletic, but he doesn't seem all that mature and #6 is pretty high for any lb not named curry.

the idea of not drafting a tackle in the first is kind of growing on me, as the crop of guys coming out seems pretty deep, not to mention the flexibility whit, collins, and andrews (if he's back and healthy) provide, a guard like the somoan monster from oregon in the third is pretty appealing. one things for certain whoever we pick in the first should play from day one.

doing something in FA would be great so we can truly take BPA, even if its crabtree.

doing something in FA would be great so we can truly take BPA, even if its crabtree.

The last time Cincinnati did anything substantial in the FA market was with Sam Adams. It turned out to be a squandered move. I personally don't expect much this off season.

BTW welcome to Bengalszone Baraka.

yeah the history of the bengal's in FA is bleak, and i'm afraid it will remain so. hobson just wrote a piece on .com entitled "raiding the second tier", which i guess after thinking about it would be an upgrade from the third and fourth tier guys we normally sign.

thanks for the welcome i just came across your site yesterday, i am a member of another board but it has turned into a lot of bickering and not discussion. just perusing your topics and responses it seems like the maturity level here is quite a bit higher. so again thanks for having me.

i'm not sold on rey's effort, it seems like he disappears for long stretches. he certainly is nasty, big and athletic, but he doesn't seem all that mature and #6 is pretty high for any lb not named curry.

the idea of not drafting a tackle in the first is kind of growing on me, as the crop of guys coming out seems pretty deep, not to mention the flexibility whit, collins, and andrews (if he's back and healthy) provide, a guard like the somoan monster from oregon in the third is pretty appealing. one things for certain whoever we pick in the first should play from day one.

I am actually growing on the idea of taking Crabtree if he is available. Would I rather have Curry or Raji? Hell yea I would, but for everyone that would be disappointed at the pick think about it this way.

If he turned into anything close to Larry Fitz we would be pretty happy campers in a couple seasons. I don't think it is probable because our receivers are going to bloom this year. I am going to compare them to a much better talent, but a perfect example is Calvin Johnson. Look at the difference in him in year one and two.

Year 1- 48 Catches 756 Yards and 4 TDs

Year 2- 78 Catches 1331 Yards and 12 TDs

Obviously his numbers are going to be higher than Caldwell's, but assuming we let TJ walk (Which I think we should franchise and trade him for a second rounder which would be easy to get for him) this is kind of what I think we can expect from Caldwell, especially with Carson coming back

Year 1- 11 Catches 78 Yards and 0 Tds

Year 2 Projected with Carson- At least 50 Catches with over 600 Yards and at least 5 td's

Our QB sucked nut this year and with Carson coming back (And his ability to throw the ball down field) and Chad returning to form (He was hurt all season and he missed a lot of training before the season) I think these numbers are the low end of what we can expect from Caldwell. Hopefully our Oline will improve which will give our receivers more time to get down field which will propel his numbers upward.

Welcome to the board !!! What board do you usually frequent ?? Anyway, the monsterous somoan is Fenuki Tupou, 6'5, 333 and yeah, I would have no issues getting him. Curry would be HUGE for us in the 1st and I still think the Chiefs should take a QB regardless as I don't view Thigpen as anything more than a backup and then the Browns taking Jenkins.

I just happened to notice NFL Draft Countdown just did a new 2 round mock draft that ended up with the Bengals getting Andre Smith in the 1st and then Alex Mack in the 2nd. That would wrap up the offensive side of the ball for me and we could leave the rest to defense and maybe a running back to throw in there. I would give that draft an "A" before we got to day two...

Welcome to the board !!! What board do you usually frequent ?? Anyway, the monsterous somoan is Fenuki Tupou, 6'5, 333 and yeah, I would have no issues getting him. Curry would be HUGE for us in the 1st and I still think the Chiefs should take a QB regardless as I don't view Thigpen as anything more than a backup and then the Browns taking Jenkins.

I just happened to notice NFL Draft Countdown just did a new 2 round mock draft that ended up with the Bengals getting Andre Smith in the 1st and then Alex Mack in the 2nd. That would wrap up the offensive side of the ball for me and we could leave the rest to defense and maybe a running back to throw in there. I would give that draft an "A" before we got to day two...

Trust me I wouldn't be the least bit disappointed by this occurrence either, but I would much rather take a top defensive player in round 1 and let Whitworth and Collins handle the tackle positions. A guy that they have coming off the board right after we pick in the second that I have a hard on for is Duke Robinson from OU. The guy is a savage and him with a center FA would give us a great Oline. Guards have easier times stepping in and competing in the NFL in their first year than other spots on the line. But getting Tackle Center, Tackle Guard, Defense Center, or Defense Guard in rounds 1 and to would be great. I wouldn't even mind taking CrabTree at 6 if he falls to us.

i'm afraid mack's not getting past the steelers at 32, what a kick in the groin that would be.

Tupou is the man i was talking about, it seems like with him in the third you could put a line of collins-tupou-FA or Rookie-williams-whit that's not too bad and its pretty young. throw another draftee or FA at T and i'd say your depth is there too. continuity on the OL is so important and underrated.

i don't want to bad mouth the other board specifically it just seems like you guys get along better.

thanks for the welcome

That's what we staff do here.

i just came across your site yesterday, i am a member of another board but it has turned into a lot of bickering and not discussion.

Bickering about what? I could understand if it was during the season, or just after the draft, but what is there to argue about now?

just perusing your topics and responses it seems like the maturity level here is quite a bit higher.

I think you caught us at one of our better moments. We have been known to bicker extensively.

so again thanks for having me.

You're an official member in good standing. Welcome anytime. ;)

Y is everyone all over Curry's dick?

I watched this guys bowl game and he didn't stand out to me, plus per bengals.com:

"Since they ended up drafting USC WILL linebacker Keith Rivers at that spot, the draftnicks don't see Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry being a fit in Cincinnati.

"He's really the same kind of guy; smooth and doesn't make any mistakes," Jones says.

But while he's got the reputation as a pass rusher, Curry only had 2.5 sacks as a senior.

"If you make him a pass rusher, you take away what he does best," Rang says. "He makes his best plays in space."

There's a good shot Curry wont be there anyway. Rang and Kiper have him going the pick before the Bengals to the Browns and McShay sends him to Kansas City at three."

Thing I find interesting on curry is I hear same negative things about him as I hear about reyrey....Can be too aggressive,Will overpursue and weakness in coverage skills...well he may have low sack count could be he hits QB alot sacks only one stat in passrushing the others you just don't see on a stat sheet.

It is now official. The Bengals HAVE GOT TO DRAFT A TACKLE! Just check out SD vs the Bengals on you tube. The big shoot out and just see how phenomenal Palmer looks with time. We have got to give him time. Ben is more mobile than CP, so his horrible line is not as much of an issue. We have to protect him. Load up on OT's and thats that.

Baraka, it's not about badmouthing the other board as most people find their way here from other boards. Go-Bengals is a big contributer after having to sit and listen to those guys go back and forth and be subjected to the owner being the "Be all and end all" of Bengals football. The official site sends them our way as well, as the blind homerism is just more than most can handle. No issue though...

As for Curry, it might have something to do with him being the best outside and inside linebacker in the draft. Yeah he had few sacks his senior year, but can someone explain to me why it's a bad thing to be smooth and not making mistakes ?? Versatility is the big thing and Curry would fit just fine.