Off Topic: Local Sports Radio

cincyhokie

Does anyone listen to it? 700 or 1530? Or do you tune into the national ESPN shows on 1360?

Moe Egger- How does this guy have a job? Terrible. Thinks he's actually funny. If I wanted to listen to a comedy show, I wouldn't tune into his show. The crap he put on the air this morning inspired me to write this thread.

Lance McAllister- Better than Moe. Much better insight into local sports. Strays away and talks about TV shows and other odd topics at times. Mannerisms are really annoying. If you've heard him, you know what I am talking about. Somedays I can tolerate him, other days I'd rather tune into a nationally broadcasted show.

Paul Daugherty- I could take him or leave him. At least he tries to stay on topic that is related to sports.

I've listened to other local sports radio shows for an extended period of time in DC, Baltimore, Columbus, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. Why are these cities able to host consistently informative and insightful sports talk, concerning their major sports teams, while this area struggles to do so?

Does anyone listen to it? 700 or 1530? Or do you tune into the national ESPN shows on 1360?

Moe Egger- How does this guy have a job? Terrible. Thinks he's actually funny. If I wanted to listen to a comedy show, I wouldn't tune into his show. The crap he put on the air this morning inspired me to write this thread.

Lance McAllister- Better than Moe. Much better insight into local sports. Strays away and talks about TV shows and other odd topics at times. Mannerisms are really annoying. If you've heard him, you know what I am talking about. Somedays I can tolerate him, other days I'd rather tune into a nationally broadcasted show.

Paul Daugherty- I could take him or leave him. At least he tries to stay on topic that is related to sports.

I've listened to other local sports radio shows for an extended period of time in DC, Baltimore, Columbus, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. Why are these cities able to host consistently informative and insightful sports talk, concerning their major sports teams, while this area struggles to do so?

In the morning, Cutler is terrible. He picks a fight with every caller that disagrees with him and then goes on about how it's o.k. to disagree with him. Well, apparently not. Every conversation inevitably turns into something about him.

I'm not a fan of Daugherty, but he does occassionally nail it. He is seemingly on a quest to defame Mike Brown as he and every other local writer & host should be. As a matter of fact, that's about the only thing that I like about him.

Lance is simply the most prepared local host. Other than that, I pretty much like Mike & Mike in the morning and other ESPN programming.

Local Sports Radio, Why does it suck so much?

Well there are only so many synonyms for the word "terrible."

The losing goes on for long enough and the media gets that same deer in the headlights look that the coaches and players get.

What exactly do you want from local sports radio that you are not getting?

Talk about draft picks, free agency, and other ways the Bengals can make themselves a stronger team?

Why? Whats the point?

The BENGALS aren't even trying to make the Bengals a better team.

But its a job. So they do it. But me personally, the last thing I want to hear is some fluff piece during another losing season. The last thing I want to hear is "what difference maker will the Bengals pick up during free agency?"

Maybe some people want to be lied to. Which is cool. Any Bengals fan paying attention knows all about the willing suspension of disbelief. And I am no different. Every Sunday from 1-4PM, I think the Bengals have a chance. But the rest of the time, when I am using reason instead of blind faith, then it is quite clear that the Bengals will continue their 20 year streak of ineptitude.

Again, what exactly do you expect from the local media? Look what they have to work with. One local pro team that just recently gave up trying, and another that hasn't really been trying for the better part of 20 years.

Again, what exactly do you expect from the local media? Look what they have to work with.

Writing skills? Creativity? Bubbly radio voices that seem to drip honey?

Not to beat a dead horse here, but the same miserable radio personalities being mentioned are the very same local sportswriters who do a miserable job in print. So what would make anyone think they'd be any better as radio hosts?

Bottom Line: The real problem with Cincinnati's local talk radio scene....is the locals themselves.

Interesting.

I forgot about Cutler. He can grate the nerves but I can listen to him for the most part. The reason I can listen to Cutler is that he talks about topics I want to hear about.

"What do I want?" Talk about sports. Intelligent talk. I don't care about your "Thank God for Alcohol" Catholic Church Festival Tour.....or what happened on "24" last night....or the countdown of the lamest info-mercials....

Intelligent sports talk about our local teams. That's what other cities have and I don't think it's to much to ask. Ken Broo, Mark Amazon, and some of the other fill-ins do a pretty good job.

But like Hair said, the locals may be the problem. Maybe...but on the other hand if we had more shows with the content such as "Hot Stove League", for example,...professional, and informative...then maybe the fanbase would learn a little more.

Andy Furman was the awful. Simply terrible. In every sense.

The only local guy I make an effort to tune in via the net is McAllister. He's prepared, he will let callers have their opinion, and his guests tend to be solid (C. Trent, beat writers, etc.). Other than that? The usual morass of yuck. Daugherty is, if this is possible, even more objectionable hosting a talk show than he is with his drivel of a column.

Daugherty is, if this is possible, even more objectionable hosting a talk show than he is with his drivel of a column.

I'm not suprised. Writing gives Daugherty to opportunity to tweak, bend, and fold his opinions into perfect little word things that take only a minute or two to read. Yet despite having all day to say very little he still manages to unimpress.

Listen to him live?

No thank you.

I guess my point was, small market city where the pro teams suck, have sucked for a long time, with no plans for change from either...

What exactly do you expect?

I'll tell you what puzzles me though about the scarce local media talent that Cincinnati does have. Take Daugherty for example. One of the harshest critics of the Bengals, and rightly so. He isn't from Cincinnati. Didn't grow up here. I think the Redskins might be his team?

Why on earth does he stay here? If I grew up a Redskins fan, I would take less money to cover the Redskins then to cover the Bengals.

Maybe a broader question: Why would any sane person bother with this franchise unless they were bound by the whole "home team is my home team" psychology?

Like if I moved to Seattle for example. Maybe after a few years I could call myself a Seahawks fan. But if I ever had the misfortune of relocating to Pittsburgh, I could never be a Steelers fan. So that means no matter what, The Bengals will always be my "home team" because I grew up with them as my home team. Plus, even in the Seattle scenario, I am still going to need some kind of payoff to spark an interest. A few "non-winning" seasons in a row and I probably bail until a playoff sighting.

Who knows though. Funerals are entertaining to some people. Perhaps the Bengals are an NFL "fetish"? "Here are your 2009 Cincinnati S+M Bengals!!!!!" :lol:

Why on earth does he stay here?

Perhaps a better question would ask why they ALL stay, and do they have any hope of surviving in more competitive markets?

Most Bengal beat writers have walked their beat for decades, and only recently have we seen worn out faces "promoted" to lower profile positions. In fact, it's fair to say most of Cincy's sports media personalities have long enjoyed the same type of safe low-risk Mom & Pop Shop employment environment as Mike Brown's no-account Bengals.

Why on earth does he stay here?

Perhaps a better question would ask why they ALL stay, and do they have any hope of surviving in more competitive markets?

Most Bengal beat writers have walked their beat for decades, and only recently have we seen worn out faces "promoted" to lower profile positions. In fact, it's fair to say most of Cincy's sports media personalities have long enjoyed the same type of safe low-risk Mom & Pop Shop employment environment as Mike Brown's no-account Bengals.

***damn, that's depressing...