Reds sign Jonny Gomes to minor league deal

kevinc1129

The Cincinnati Reds and outfielder Jonny Gomes agreed to a minor league contract Monday with an invitation to spring training.

Gomes played the first four months of last season with AL champion Tampa Bay before being optioned to Triple-A Durham. He was recalled on Sept. 13 and finished the year batting .182 with eight homers and 21 RBIs.

The 28-year-old Gomes, who started 45 games for the Rays last season, is a .235 career hitter with 66 homers and 184 RBIs. He ranks fifth on Tampa Bay’s career home run list, first among right-handed hitters.

Gomes was selected by Tampa Bay in the 18th round of the June 2001 draft. He hit 21 homers as a rookie in 2005, then 20 the following season and 17 in 2007.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AkFW...p&type=lgns

This could be a pretty decent value signing if he works out. The guy has some pop and would be a good platoon in LF with Dickerson, also freeing up Hairston to split time with Kepp at SS. If he doesn't work out, they really haven't lost anything.

Typical Reds deal: if it works out he signs with someone else for real money next year, if not he's in Lville by the Allstar break. I think this one has a chance to work in the short term.

Heck the Reds have done alot better than my Os last week we added Felix Pie, Koji Uehara (the Orioles 1st japanese player) and Gregg Zaun. Whoa thats gonna put us up there with the YANKEES, RED SOX, RAYS and The improved Blue Jays. Man its gonna be another long summer for me. So I say come on REDS give me something to cheer about. Dont get me wrong im die hard Os all the way, but you have to be real and no theres no chance for them.

Typical Reds deal: if it works out he signs with someone else for real money next year, if not he's in Lville by the Allstar break. I think this one has a chance to work in the short term.

Heck the Reds have done alot better than my Os last week we added Felix Pie, Koji Uehara (the Orioles 1st japanese player) and Gregg Zaun. Whoa thats gonna put us up there with the YANKEES, RED SOX, RAYS and The improved Blue Jays. Man its gonna be another long summer for me. So I say come on REDS give me something to cheer about. Dont get me wrong im die hard Os all the way, but you have to be real and no theres no chance for them.

At leaset the O's locked up Markakis long term...I really like that guy a lot.