Is Mike Brown the worst owner in Sports?

Clackwoods

Is Mike Brown that bad?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Is he the worst owner in sports?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Who is dumber, Mike Brown for turning down Ditka or Ditka for offering?

• Mike Ditka
    • Mike Brown

If you search for him in Wikipedia, the first paragraph calls him the worst owner in the world....lol

Emphasis on Quarterback

Brown turned down Mike Ditka's offer of nine draft picks for one in the 1999 NFL draft against then-coach Coslet's advice. Coslet wanted as many draft picks as possible to beef up the defensive and offensive lines. Instead, Brown overruled Coslet and selected University of Oregon quarterback Akili Smith. Smith only played 22 games in his NFL career and Coslet later regretted that he "didn't insist hard enough" that the Bengals accept the Saints' offer.[9] Detractors consider this, plus the 1992 surprise pick of eventual "bust" David Klingler, exemplary of Brown's overeagerness to find a "bell-cow quarterback" rather than develop the entire roster. In a 1999 interview, he remarked "If you don't have a productive quarterback, you won't go anywhere...I know it doesn't seem that simple, but it is."[18] Brown later declared the Bengals' competitive problems over with the acquisition of quarterback Carson Palmer (Palmer is 39-41 as starter).

I didn't know that he turned Mike Ditka down in 1999 for all those draft picks.

The Redskins used those picks to move back up to number 7 and get Champ Bailey. But, they had to pretty much give up all the Saints picks to get him.

On this site, I imagine the answer would be an overwhelming YES. That being said, some other teams might want to throw their own name into the running. Al Davis would be brought up even though he has a Super Bowl win to his credit. I don't think it's close though. Mike Brown by a LANDSLIDE !!!

After this weekend, Mike Brown is #1 all by himself, with Davis running behind him but trying to catch up.

I read somewhere that Al Davis has gotten over his unquenchable thirst for buying the flashiest players available because of last years disaster. Sources say he is going to return to hard nose, pound the rock football. He is also considering hiring his first Defensive head coach since John Madden in the 1960's

At one time it could be argued that Bill Bidwell was actually worse than SOP. After all, he made good on his threat to leave his town, after he was not given a key to the city. Apparently he didn't think to offer a future job to a high ranking St. Louis official.

At least Bidwell had the sense to turn the operation over to an offspring with a clue. You're all by yourself now Mikey! SOP, the undisputed king of futility!

At one time it could be argued that Bill Bidwell was actually worse than SOP. After all, he made good on his threat to leave his town, after he was not given a key to the city. Apparently he didn't think to offer a future job to a high ranking St. Louis official.

At least Bidwell had the sense to turn the operation over to an offspring with a clue. You're all by yourself now Mikey! SOP, the undisputed king of futility!

Al Davis is pretty bad but his sin is more understandable than MB. In Davis's case he became a rotten owner due to ego and age catching up to him. He was a success and knew what a good football operation was all about. Then his ego and age screwed him up. That happens to us all.

But MB....he's awhole nuther piece of work.

MB is a cynical guy. He's all about making money as cheaply as possible with no real drive to win games. He knows what it takes to win, after all, Pittsburgh and Baltimore have schooled him for 18 seasons. He knows how it's done.

He also conned a city into a very sweet stadium deal that evidently puts Hamilton County tax payers on the hook to meet part of his payroll. He lied to do it and played off his loyal fans hunger for a winner. Mike Brown is not only the worst owner in sports, he's a sleaze ball as well.

In all of sports? I'll take Donald Sterling of the Clips. Given the utter lack of success, duration of ineptitude, being in the LA market, high draft picks, and ease of building contenders in the NBA, there's really no excuse. #2 would be the Knicks if we were talking last year before Isiah was canned.

Other candidates:

NFL: Bengals, Lions, Raiders, and Cardinals (their luck-ass Super Bowl appearance notwithstanding)

Baseball: Twins, Royals, Pirates, Reds, and Yankees in baseball (yes, Yankees, money can't cover up disasterous decisions for nearly a decade)

NBA: Hawks, Knicks, T-wolves

NHL: I don't know crap about hockey.

In all of sports? I'll take Donald Sterling of the Clips. Given the utter lack of success, duration of ineptitude, being in the LA market, high draft picks, and ease of building contenders in the NBA, there's really no excuse. #2 would be the Knicks if we were talking last year before Isiah was canned.

Other candidates:

NFL: Bengals, Lions, Raiders, and Cardinals (their luck-ass Super Bowl appearance notwithstanding)

Baseball: Twins, Royals, Pirates, Reds, and Yankees in baseball (yes, Yankees, money can't cover up disasterous decisions for nearly a decade)

NBA: Hawks, Knicks, T-wolves

NHL: I don't know crap about hockey.

I have to (mostly) agree with DC...there's too much competition for idiot-Mikey to be crowned the 'worst'. I would, however, replace the Reds on the list with the Nationals :P

In other news...why is DC posting here, instead of fleeing a town which is being invaded by 6,345,210 crazies who want to celebrate with B.O.? The inauguration will be nuts, looking like a cross between a Chataqua revival meeting and New Orleans during Mardi Gras! Good luck, brother!